New
Find
Notify
Tools

What in Africa would you NOT shoot?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
What da ya mean ya wouldn't eat lions and pork? I've had mtn lion loins, and they were excellent! Warthog/bushpig is like any other pork, yummy! I agree about the baboons.... Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time this question was asked someone said "penguins" I got a chuckle out of that.
I was hunting with a namibian pal of mine on his farm. We had .22 rf shooting those spotted chickens of theirs, when my friends whips up and shoots a cat of some sort. He hit it, but it got away despite a good bit of looking. I asked if it was a wildcat, he said he thought so, I told him it looked to me like a regular housecat. Danie said "if it was, it shouldnt have been way out here anyway!"
So for me, I wont shoot african housecats! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the “if it is legal and I can afford it” camp.
As far as not shooting it because I will not eat it I figure in Africa someone needs a good meal and will eat it, except maybe for Baboons.
I was in RSA riding in the back of the Cruiser in the middle of the ranch and saw 3 dogs running, I commented to the PH about it and he “Shoot them!” I said they are just someone’s dogs and pointed to them. The Manager of the ranch who was driving, we had slid to a halt, said “if you don’t shoot give me your rifle and I will”. So I got me a fine example of the Southern subspecies African Spaniel. I just worry it is going to show up from the taxidermist with the other mounts. The Manager told that they are poacher’s dogs and were put through the fence to run down game.
The PH had asked me when we arrived if there was anything I did not want to shoot, at the fire that night he said “I guess you will shoot anything.”

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl, I thought it was about the hunt, not the size of the trophy. The little pygmy antelope are a great hunt, I assume they are hunted not a just by chance shooting. Besides they are some of the best eating of all African game. JMO of course as that is all I have. Smiler

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Giraffe, and Hippo, plus in North America Moose, and Caribou.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Karl, I thought it was about the hunt, not the size of the trophy.

I'm more into shooting lots, rather than the hunt or the trophy etc. Maybe if they taste really good I'll take a pot shot one day.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Gorillas and orangutans

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reading through here I was supprised at the number of guys who wouldn't shoot baboons. Personaly I thought they were a blast to go after. The next time I go I plan to try setting aside at least one full day just to go after baboons. There isn't much I wouldn't be willing to shoot, but I'm not particularly interested in shooing lion. They just don't do much for me, but then again I haven't had the chance to encounter one in the field. I used to think the same about elephant's, but after running into a group on my first safari an elephant is deffinately on the list before I'm gone.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rhys:
reading through here I was supprised at the number of guys who wouldn't shoot baboons. Personaly I thought they were a blast to go after. The next time I go I plan to try setting aside at least one full day just to go after baboons. There isn't much I wouldn't be willing to shoot, but I'm not particularly interested in shooing lion. They just don't do much for me, but then again I haven't had the chance to encounter one in the field. I used to think the same about elephant's, but after running into a group on my first safari an elephant is deffinately on the list before I'm gone.

I just was saying I would not eat a baboon. One, or as many that show up, are on my list to shoot.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We took away the carcass of a baboon from some poachers in Cameroon. The two guys with me quickly built a fire and ate part of it on the spot .. I've whacked my share of the varmints but after a while I noticed their similarity to my Uncle Fudd ... so it was one of several reasons that I passed on the barbeque ... Smiler

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Gorillas and orangutans

Orangutans are only found in southeast Asia. So if you are offered one in Africa you can be sure it is a canned hunt.(I had to look it up)
Wink

You did make me think though...
Smiler

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I used to not read this section of the forum, maybe it was because I had never hunted in Africa, and I knew that I never would. But, since I've started reading the African Hunting Forum, I have found it to be most interesting. This thread, in particular, has been most inviting.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I Have no interest in harvesting a Giraffe or an Ostrich.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote