New
Find
Notify
Tools

What in Africa would you NOT shoot?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
No doubt this topic has been discussed previously (what hasn't?), however I would be interested to know what game animal you would decline to shoot whilst in Africa.

I have a few, but giraffe is probably at the top of the list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Giraffe and probably baboon.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in ostrich or giraffe.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Ostritch, and giraffe for personal reasons.

Black rhino for financial realities.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Giraffe, or any introduced species that had a trophy fee.

I don't have a problem with other people shooting giraffe; it's just not something I want to do.
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cheetah.
I use to not want to kill Elephant and Baboon but one is entitled to change ones mind.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about this very thing the other day.

Hippo. Never done anything for me. Not even curious.
That may change sometime down the road as at one time I wasn't interested in shooting a hartebeest, duiker or steenbuck and now I'm up to my neck in taxidermy bills beyond what I planned for Smiler

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:

Jeff

I thought the same thing about baboons until finding what incredible and nasty pests they are. Thought they would be too "human-like". Not at all, they're closer to ugly, vicious dogs. However, I have no critcism of anyone who prefers not to shoot any particular animal.

As for me, until and unless lion populations stabilize and their environmental situation improves, I'm not interested in taking one.

Elephants don't interest me. They're too smart, live too long, and breed too slowly to be sacrificed primarily for my personal benefit. I would have no problem with participating in a necessary population control hunt, but not interested in trophy hunting them.

The tiny antelopes like the various duikers don't do much to stir my blood, so I'll leave my share to those who find them of interest.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me too, but others can have at it!

And I'd add monkey (unless hunting the jungle for food perhaps, but I'd probably miss), cheetah, mongoose and honey badger...and probably anything that could not be eaten and/or trophy mounted or would be blown to smithereens by the caliber/bullet I was shooting.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Jeff

I thought the same thing about baboons until finding what incredible and nasty pests they are. Thought they would be too "human-like". Not at all, they're closer to ugly, vicious dogs. However, I have no critcism of anyone who prefers not to shoot any particular animal.

As for me, until and unless lion populations stabilize and their environmental situation improves, I'm not interested in taking one.

Elephants don't interest me. They're too smart, live too long, and breed too slowly to be sacrificed primarily for my personal benefit. I would have no problem with participating in a necessary population control hunt, but not interested in trophy hunting them.

The tiny antelopes like the various duikers don't do much to stir my blood, so I'll leave my share to those who find them of interest.

My thoughts run along very similar lines to yours.

I'm not even particularly interested in "trophy" but otherwise too boring to hunt, too rare or too intelligent intelligent for me not to dwell on the kill, rather tahn the hunt, afterwards.

On the otherhand I have an almost pathological desire to shoot warthogs.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pygmys

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Jeff

--------------------------
THERE WAS CERTAINLY NO PROBLEM WITH POPULATIONS WHERE IVE HUNTED THEM.

Elephants don't interest me. They're too smart, live too long, and breed too slowly to be sacrificed primarily for my personal benefit. [/QUOTE]
-------------------------

THE ONES IVE KILLED WEREN'T THAT SMART AND CERTAINLY DIDN'T LIVE THAT LONG.. ANYWAY, HOW LONG IS TO LONG? Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lion, free range, penned or otherwise. Too much bullshit surrounding this species. No interest whatsoever.

Rhino.. Maybe back in the "glory days" of British East Africa chasing the black rhinos around a soda lake, but not these days..

I've shot giraffe. I enjoyed the hunt. Same for elephant, baboons, etc. For the most part, I can live with the few I've taken and not worry about taking another. Same goes for the popular species.. buff, kudu, impala, bushuck, zebra, etc..

I'm kind of a "one is enough, two tops" kind of guy on most any hunt I can take. I like to try new hunts for new diff speices whenever I can. Some I've loved, some was the "once was enough" type of hunt.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Honey badger..just a cool animal!

I guess I will not complete a big five because Rhino is not on my list.

I rather enjoyed hunting Giraffe, its a game animal that does not get much respect..It was a challenging hunt.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh and my wife said 5 zebra were enough. I know baboon's are crappy little critters, I just don't to shot one and it has nothing to do with imagined anthropamorphic reasons.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot whatever is out of range,,, distance or for my pocketbook. I used to say I wasn't interested in a giraffe and would never shoot one, but couldn't stop myself on a huge old stink bull with my bow,, now I never say never. I am not to interested in the crocs,, not sure why,, just not a lizard guy,,, but,,,,,you never know!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Giraffe, baboon, probably not another eland.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
baboon, giraffe, lion, rhino, ostrich and anything so small that that you practically sit it in your lap for a picture...

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
you guys are missing out on the giraffes.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Black rhino, cheetah, and Brown Hyena, etc. because they are not exportable. Everything else has been, is, and will continue to be, fair game! Big Grin I'd really like to shoot wild dog, but only in my dreams! LOL! By the way, three giraffe to date, and the latest one produced the most beautiful ginger bull giraffe rug I have ever seen! And hunting pygmy antelope are right up there with hunting the Magnificent Seven, only on a smaller scale!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
I have no interest in ostrich or giraffe.

Turned them down many times years ago.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't shoot a giraffe, wouldn't dart a rhino... but I will absolutely argue for YOUR right to do either!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW you guys are really missing out by not shooting baboons they are great to hunt!! I took three of the little vermin in Uganda

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Giraffe make great lion baits. They often aren't as easy as they appear.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing I wouldn't shoot, if it is legal. Plains game is my main interest. I don't really care for the DG species. If I wouldn't eat it, I would rather not spend much effort to hunt it. I don't want to eat zebra, giraffe and even warthog (although I did shoot one).

In reality there are many I won't shoot due to low priority or the fact that I may have to take malaria drugs to be in the area where the animal lives. Cost is also a factor. I would rather not spend the money for an ele or lion when I could use the extra funds to hunt many more PG. Even if I was given a choice for a free DG hunt or a PG hunt, I would go with the PG hunt without hesitation.

I like to shoot, so a cull hunt is about as interesting to me as anything. I am considering some now. Your personal interests are as valid as mine. Enjoy what interests you.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Any of the pigmy antelope.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave your Lions. I will take care of them.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you guys on the giraffe and the smaller antlope. Not for me. Nothing smaller than a bush buck. Babs are fun though. And very hard to get within good range of if they know you're about. I'm hoping to set aside a day or two of nothing but babs with a 257 Roberts on my next trip to Namibia.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I am not there yet, but Elephant causes me some confusion Confused

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Giraffe and the fallow deer in South Africa. I would love to shoot a fallow deer, but I would like for it to be in Europe.
As for the zebra, I really enjoyed hunting my Hartmann's Zebra, but I could understand how someone who was into horses might think twice.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Cheetah and crocodile. The cheetah seems too much like a pet. Had a great opportunity for Croc in Zambia, but a croc just doesn't interest me - yet. Giraffe, I'm not sure about. They are pretty cool and make great mounts - we'll see. Most everything else is fair game.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blesbok, abd Rino. Each for different reasons.

I hunted an old Giraffe in '04. They are hard to get close to on foot, and they are hard to kill. If we don't hunt them they will lose their value and soon they will be gone.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I used to say that I wouldn't shoot a baboon, but once you have caved to the farmer urging, "shoot the bastard!" the rest are really pretty fun.

Same for cheetah.

Rhino, ostrich and giraffe don't interest me. I have little interest in leopard if guided.

I only need a leopard to complete the big 4, and with unguided leopard being nonresistant I guess I won't spend too much time worrying about it...

Oh, and the pygmy antelopes don't interest me at all. But I would like to call them and shoot them for camp meat.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have little interest in shooting Baboon. Not that if I was on a ranch, and the farmer asked me to shoot one, I wouldn't, but I will not pay to shoot a stinky, smelly, insect infested monkey that I would be absolutely unwilling to eat one bite of its meat.

Yes, I have seen some interesting "comedic" baboon mounts, but that just isn't my thing either.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I won't shoot the big cats unless required to for either my self defense or someone in my party. Don't ask me why, just a personal thing I guess. I don't have a problem with those who do. It's kind of funny since reading Jim Corbetts books at 10 years old got me interested in hunting.

I'm not too interested in shooting giraffes or zebra either.

I quit shooting bears for awhile after shooting seven in two years getting problem animal tags when marauding black/cinnamon bears would cross over from Yellowstone onto the ranch. Chased them down with dogs on horseback. Of course now I'm itching to shoot a big brown bear in Alaska ...

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will start by saying any animal in Africa.

As any thing you don't want to shoot you see lots of.

For me, Hippo in the water, land based only.
Cheetah.
Rhino, but would do a darted hunt.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Giraffe, elephant or Rhino because I'm just not interested.

Wouldn't shoot a lion under any circumstance except self-defense.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to shoot apes and monkeys besides the baboon.
I haven't shot a jackal (and brown hyena) because I don't like the idea of killing animals just to kill. I would shoot one If there are too many or for taxydermy.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any deer or antelope the size of a west Texas jackrabbit and any cat smaller than a leopard. Not even certain about the leopard. Lions are fair game!

Not interested in ele unless its them or me. Giraffe would be difficult I think. They are too cute.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote