Find
Notify
Tools

The Ugliest Antelope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
Specifically Antelope only. Discussions of beauty inevitably become mundane. In my experience the ugliest critters evoke the most creative and memorable responses.

What's the ugliest antelope in everyones' opinion? Are there any that qualify for the "not in my house!" ruling Smiler

Pictures with comments in response to this thread could be immensely entertaining.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
black wildebeest - I win!

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
My wife thinks my tsessebe is ugly and calls him Jed Clampett. Jed isn't that bad is he? Compared to a sable or either of the kudus, she might be right... Wink

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
red hartebeest is in the running for ugliest in my book

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red Hartebeast, in my opinion and there are none in my trophy room.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Any of the Damaliscus - Topi,Tsessebe,Blesbok,Bontebok- Just plain UGLI

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
I would have to go with the Red Hatabeest as well. FUGLY

crl

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think that the hartebeest is ugly, but IMO the Waterbuck is the ugliest!

posted Hide Post
It's a very close contest between the gnus and the damaliscs.

Trying to select the ugliest of the lot is like trying to decide which end of Roseanne Barr you'd rather look at. Eeker

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either the red hartebeest or the tsessebe could be crowned the Ugly King. There may have a small amount alien DNA mixed in with their lines.

I've always thought of the Waterbuck as an attractive animal.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I think they all have their own appeal and I think we often compare the African animals to some of our more graceful looking NA animals which is like comparing apples to oranges. I must admit though that the Coke's hartebeest just looks silly. That long face with the weird horn configuration is comical.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well that would be hilary - oops i missed the antelope part Wink

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Strange responces! I simply don't find any of them to be ugly at all. Now some of the people I meet on Safari are real ogres! Roll Eyes

There are a couple, however, that I have no desire to take. Unlike most who hunt Africa, I have no desire to take a Sable, or Kudu,or Gerinouk, and would rather have a real record book black wildebeast than either of them! I guess, in my case, being ugly myself I don't find animals to be ugly at all! Sort of finding a kinship with them! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I suppose that a moose is not technically an antelope but it's a goofy looking animal.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:

Trying to select the ugliest of the lot is like trying to decide which end of Roseanne Barr you'd rather look at. Eeker

George

Gosh George you're heartless! something good can be said about everyone even Roseanne...I mean one of those chins she has could have an apple pie hid under it complete with whipped toppings...or Rosie O'Donnel's head looks flat enough on the top to set my beer bottle there while she's kissing Hillary's ass....like I said there is good in everyone if you look hard enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the African antelope mentioned so far are truly ugly. The closest thing to an ugly antelope in Africa is the Hunter's Hartebeest or Hirola, but there is no chance of one hanging on your wall as a trophy at present.

To see the hands-down ugliest true antelope, you have to get out of Africa and go to Asia. Do an image search on "Saiga" and you'll see what I mean.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Not an antelope, but a pretty horrifying example of a bovine...

Gentlemen, I give you Hillary the mad cow.

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
NONE of the African antelope are ugly and I have a butt load in my trophy room. But I will agree that Hillary is the butt ugliest!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jpb that head should be coming out the other end!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote is the Red Hartebeest, although I did have mine mounted. My wife says he looks like Jar Jar Binks in the pics. When I get him back this summer he'll be in my office instead of my house though. Just as well for me!

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id vote for Red Hartebeest because At least the Tsessebe looks good as a european mount

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
China Fleet Sailor,

Actually (and imho) the Hunters Hartebeest with it's eye stripe and impala type horns is one of the more beautiful hartebeests. I think that the most ugly crown should go to the Lichtenstein's Hartebeest. I'm sitting here looking at one now. What a knot head!

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hillary's head is at the wrong head of the cow!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
None are ugly. some are unique and more memorable maybe.

The Hillacow above is truly ugly. Being a New Yorker, I am more than willing to share her with all of you. Unfortunatley, unless more Americans wise up, she may in fact be our President. Do anything you can to defeat her.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Hillary's head is at the wrong head of the cow!

After careful inspection, no, it isn't. It should be on a horse, however.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will make you all puke but looking at Hillary the cow could you imagine "MOUNTING HILLARY" Sorry, I just puked on my keyboard.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with the none are ugly crowd. However, a white blesbok could never compare to a kudu.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpb:
Not an antelope, but a pretty horrifying example of a bovine...

Gentlemen, I give you Hillary the mad cow.

I can tell that's photoshopped because it's on the wrong end of the cow.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this is in regars to antelope, I don't see where it is limited to Afica. With that in mind, the ugliest is the Siaga of Asia.

If we just keep it to Africa, then my vote goes to the White Blesbok. Homely damn things!!!!!

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
They are all beautiful in their own way! Big Grin

I think everyone should have them all mounted in their homes! thumb

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
JPB, that is a terrible picture! Have you no respect for cows???????????????
jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would agree that the red hartebeest is ugly. I think you guys that posted that picture of hillary should be ashamed of yourselves, what did that poor cow do to you? Big Grin

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like them all. I especially like my red hartebeeste; when I look at it I am reminded of my first African animal (well, forget about the jackal). It takes me back to Namibia. Of all the hartebeeste, the Coke's is the weirdest looking to me.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The photo of Hillary has obviously been doctored. If it were a real photo her head would be on the body of an ass -- coming or going, you would have an ass.

By the way, my vote is for the blesbuk they are pretty damn ugly.

Mike

Posts: 21668 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
White Blesbok

Totally one ugly animal.

~Ann

Posts: 19547 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the antelopes I've shot, the blue wildebeest. It does make a nice skull mount. I have a tsessebe shoulder mount, they're much less unattractive than the blue wildebeest IMO.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
In my house, the "Gruesome Threesome" are not allowed - those being the red hartebeest, black and blue wildebeest. They are however some of my brothers favorites. The blesbok/bontebok of any color are close behind, but allowed by my other half.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Picture....thousand words... etc. Eeker

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
Has no one seen one of these?

Asian Saiga

or one of these?

Mongolian White-tailed Gazelle

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote