Find
Notify
Tools

The Alaskan
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
I was given a hunting knife some years back called an Alaskan. It has a broad 6 inch blade and does not look anything special and probably inexpensive. Produced by 'Knives of Alaska'. Does anyone know of the company or history of?

The steel is incredibly hard and keeps its edge much longer than any of my other knives and I have many. I have abused it by hammering it when axing through bone, I have used it as a chisel, screwdriver, axe and lever. I have lent it to trackers and skinners and it is still unscathed, unblemished.

My advice is if they are still in production is to get one. And if any Alaskans are coming this way then I would be very willing to purchase another.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are still around as far as I know I have a couple o their knives as well. I have two different sized skinners and one filet knife. the steel is hard and holds a good edge but the other side of that is they can be a real pain to sharpen. The were not expensive but were middle of the road knives. I am sure we can find something you will approve of. Then it is just a matter of who is heading your way.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I use a diamond Dianova Lapstone file which cuts a fine edge.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know Cabelas still carries the Knives of Alaska brand.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
KOA is still alive and healthy.

They have expanded their offerings over the years.

The steel in the knife you have is likely D2.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
They are called Knives of Alaska but I think they are made in Texas.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.cadcutlery.com

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Great knives. I've got the hunter pro pack which has a little hatchet for cutting through the pelvis and sternum. They aren't too cheap, but they are excellent knives. I keep mine pretty well oiled after use, but have yet to have to sharpen them other than a touch up after using them for a couple of seasons. Taking them to Alaska with me this year on a DIY wilderness moose hunt, so hopefully they hold up as well as the have been on deer and hogs!

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Very good knives, mediocre sheaths, and terrible customer service.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was given a hunting knife some years back called an Alaskan. It has a broad 6 inch blade and does not look anything special and probably inexpensive. Produced by 'Knives of Alaska'. Does anyone know of the company or history of?

Yeah, they are made in Denison, TX right down the road from my hospital. Nigel also hunted this fellow and is always wanting to go visit him when he is at my home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Alaskan made by Knives of Alaska sells for about $200.00. I have the African model and is a very good knife. Actually I own 10 knives made by this Company.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg make sure you keep them well oiled. Probably my biggest complaint was the quickness that the early knives rusted when in and around water all day. This was especially true if woking the coastline for bears and the salt air got to them. I think they changed the steel later in production and got a much more resistant product. I could be wrong about that though. Anyone else buy one of the first knives they made?

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Kinda fancy the looks of their #326 Alpha Wolf Drop Point Hunter d2. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I have their Muskrat model. Best thing going for skinning that I have used....other than a tennis ball and pick up truck.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote