Find
Notify
Tools

Limited Edition 375 H&H ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Since Holland and Holland brought out the 375 H&H in 1912 I wonder if there will be a 100th Anniversary edition in something like a Win Mod 70 etc.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like they did for the 30-06 a few years ago? Maybe not, as the 30-06 is an American creation and is widely distributed, where the 375 H&H is of British descent, and much less common in use by American hunters. Still, if they think there's a dollar to be made, who knows!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Limited edition of 25 rifles was announced some time ago, actually. There's a pdf download of the brochure on their website.

I would be very surprised if all of them didn't sell within weeks of when announced, which was early in 2011.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received the Cabelas 2012 "Shooting" catalog the other day and they list a Winchester Model 70 High-Grade Safari rifle in .375 H&H for $2199.99.

Not sure if this is a limited edition for Cabelas but they do highlight the 100 years of the .375 H&H caliber.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Holland & Holland is advertising a limited run of 25 rifles. That is very different from the hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of anniversary rifles issued by other firms. They are sure to remain quite collectible. Customers can choose from three grades and select from various options including engraving, wood, sights, and cases. I don't know the prices and particulars but I am sure Guy Davies at H&H in New York can help you there.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got to hold one this past summer at the store front in London. The guy working in the back was named Steve, if I remember correctly. The one I was looking at was a very, very nice rifle. Steve had been a maker before moving into sales. He pointed out how the 375 anniversiary had very shallow engraving. Told me deep engraving is more or less for dilletants. Nice guy and very informative.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I visited Holland and Holland a few years back. Could not even get a polite hello. AS far as I am concerned they can shove their rifle up their you know what where the sun don't shine.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped at their booth at the SCI last year in Reno to see the legendary Holland & Hollands. Luckily for me, the guy in front of me was looking at a rifle in a plexiglass case. There were 4 rifles on the rack that you could handle, all priced at $172,000.00. The one in the case had no price attached so he asked how much the rifle in the case was. The H & H Rep replied "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!" I just turned and walked away. Snobbish, arrogant SOB probably cost them an amazing amount of money for the show and for the show. I wouldn't own one just because of the attitude.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
They must feel good to know so many of their rifles go straight from the showroom to a dark safe. Isn't that what got Winston Churchill (engraver, not PM) torqued that people spent so much on his work but it was never seen by anyone? Thought I heard that somewhere.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
If I wa as well heeled as some of you gents on this site, I would not blink at laying out the funds for one of those 25 rifles.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I stopped at their booth at the SCI last year in Reno to see the legendary Holland & Hollands. Luckily for me, the guy in front of me was looking at a rifle in a plexiglass case. There were 4 rifles on the rack that you could handle, all priced at $172,000.00. The one in the case had no price attached so he asked how much the rifle in the case was. The H & H Rep replied "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"

What rack? What plexiglass case? That doesn't sound like their display at all. All the rifles were different prices and that figure is way out of line for any of their bolt rifles. Notice the price tags? I think you have them confused with someone else.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Grenadier on this one. Even though it was several years back, I remember visiting the H&H booth at the DSC Annual convention and the folks workling it were quite helpful, even letting a Texas boy that could barely afford the admission to get in to the show, handle a couple of really expensive piece of art.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a mixed tribe the English, some of them are the most charming and helpful people one could wish to meet, others are arrogant supercillous buggers who carry chips on both of their shoulders.
When I visited Hollands I found them to be very helpful. The chap I spoke to was pleased to hear that I used a 375 H&H, even though it was not one of their making.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
I received the Cabelas 2012 "Shooting" catalog the other day and they list a Winchester Model 70 High-Grade Safari rifle in .375 H&H for $2199.99.

Not sure if this is a limited edition for Cabelas but they do highlight the 100 years of the .375 H&H caliber.

I noticed this too - Cabelas says they don't have these in stores yet. I presume they'll be much like the current 75th Ann. Cabelas Mod 70 458 Winchesters, but without the ridiculous engravings. Overall a nice gun but a little over priced when you can get the current model 70 safari express from CDNN for a k and change.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have handled one of these centenary rifles, lovely and I have always found H&H to be very friendly and helpful, best, Mike

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

What rack? What plexiglass case? That doesn't sound like their display at all. All the rifles were different prices and that figure is way out of line for any of their bolt rifles. Notice the price tags? I think you have them confused with someone else.

Maybe he confused them with the Griffin and Howe booth? I didn't see any plexiglass cases, but saw some price tags on rifles that would buy you a NICE home just about anywhere in the US. Amazing looking guns though.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Holland & Holland is advertising a limited run of 25 rifles. That is very different from the hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of anniversary rifles issued by other firms. They are sure to remain quite collectible. Customers can choose from three grades and select from various options including engraving, wood, sights, and cases. I don't know the prices and particulars but I am sure Guy Davies at H&H in New York can help you there.

Can you find these at Wal-Mart? Wink

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Anyone who wants a man to talk to at Bruton Street let me know. I have known them for a long time and my office is around the corner.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:

Something like this is in the line of what I am talking about. Even if I could afford an actual H&H I would not turn that kind of money loose on a rifle even if I won the lottery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod, you are entitled to your opinion, as Voltaire said "I disagree with everything you have said but will defend with my life your right to say it" best, Mike

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to sling mud, wasn't my intention. But I'm not confused about the booth. sorry. They make a beautiful rifle but the representative that was there could have phrased what he said a bit differently so as not to offend the guy in front of me. I'm pretty sure he walked away with a bad taste in his mouth.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bailey:
Jarrod, you are entitled to your opinion, as Voltaire said "I disagree with everything you have said but will defend with my life your right to say it" best, Mike

Im not saying anything bad about H&H or any other gunmaker for that matter. Im just saying I don't care what name you put on a rifle, rather it says Holland and Holland or Winchester or Remington etc I wouldn't pay Holland and Holland type prices for a rifle unless I could use it for a little while and then sell it at a profit or sell it for what you would pay.
The way I see it that kind of money for a rifle could be spent on hunts, trophy fees, traveling etc etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod, there was an article a couple of years ago in a UK shooting magazine, the "Sporting Gazette" as I recall when they were interviewing the chairman of Purdey. He said if you factored in inflation he would buy back a good condition gun from you in 2008 for effectively the same price your grandfather paid in 1912 (not sure on the year) but top end guns whilst not being a great investment aren´t bad, and in the UK if you leave them to the kids there is no inheritance tax payable on the value, best, Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the scope that comes with that H&H?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Swarovski I believe but you could change that, best, Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to the Holland & Holland gun room in New York multiple times, before and after they moved to their current smaller quarters. Even though I was obviously "browsing" I was always treated courteously and was allowed to fondle any gun or rifle I wished.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
The one in the case had no price attached so he asked how much the rifle in the case was. The H & H Rep replied "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!" I just turned and walked away. Snobbish, arrogant SOB probably cost them an amazing amount of money for the show and for the show. I wouldn't own one just because of the attitude.

That is a British joke by the way, but clearly lost in translation. It comes from Rolls Royce motor cars...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I'd have to consider one if they made a Rice University/375 H&H Centennaty edition, both celebrating 100 yrs in 2012. Then again there might be only 1 person in the entire world interested in such a rifle: me.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
They are offering the centennial rifles in three different versions - basic, deluxe, exhibition. They had a couple at SCI. One was a basic model and one was an example of the exhibition model. They said they only had 7 or 8 of the 25 left that weren't spoken for.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
According to the web site there are 15 left.

Bespoke firms like H&H don't have to look for customers, customers find them.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I've been in their London shop and I've visited their booth at SCI.

Their salesmen have always been quite cordial to me, notwithstanding that I've never bought a gun or rifle from them.

That centenary rifle is a gem, BTW.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have visited the H&H shop several times in NY and London and also shot at their shooting grounds in London. The British do have a stiff upper lip but are fine people, of course you get the asses, as you do everywhere!

About the line "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!", here is a true story. Once when in London the Maharaja of Patiala visited the Rolls Royce show room to check out the latest models. It was a busy day and the salesman didnt pay too much attention to the brown skinned little man and probably gave him the line above.

He left the show room with out making a fuss and later bought an entire consignment of Rolls-Royce cars and turned them into garbage trucks to avenge being snubbed by the snooty British salesmen in the United Kingdom. The story made headlines in the English papers, with pictures.

Later, the company had to send its representatives to Patiala to rectify the error of the cars.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote