New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber for eland?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aren't these antelope as big as a cape buff? Weigh something in the vicinity of a ton? Then what is to be made of this post on another thread:

quote:
Blacktailer,
When using copper monometal bullets the weight is unimportant, momentum and energy are. The animal does not care what the weight of the bullet is. It cares only about how much momentum and energy is applied to it. What you should do is look at what the different weights will do in terms of recoil, trajectory, wind drift and time of flight. Choose the one that will give you the best chance of placing the bullet right and still deliver adequate momentum and energy.

You have an eland on your signature. When we did the final field trials of our 308 130gr HV bullet, we had seven consecutive one shot kills on eland. Rifle was a sporterized military Mauser and we ran the 130gr bullet at 3200fps. It was a pleasure to shoot and we recovered no bullets. Shots were: One head shot, one neck shot and five chest cavity shots from a variety of angles including a quarter going away. No surprises, no failures, just rock solid performance.

Proof of the pudding.... http://www.gsgroup.co.za/bgeer.html
Gerard
gscustom.co.za

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/381100816

I don't see one single snapshot of an eland in either the proof or the pudding. What am I missing?

Is a 308 your caliber of choice for eland hunting? 130gr bullet?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice is a .375 H&H or Flanged, but I have used .300 H&H a couple of times with 220 grain softs and they did fine.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland weight up to 2200 pounds, which is a lot more than a cape buff. I would like at least a 9.3 or .375. A soft nose for the first shot and the rest solids.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, an eland can outweigh a mature Cape buffalo.I think there is a legal minimum for eland. Not sure if it is a .277 caliber or .284 caliber. Anyway, I recommend a .338 caliber and up.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot mine with a 9.3x62 using 286 gr SPs -worked very well. I don´t think they´re that tough but man the size of them!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
While I have taken both Eland I have killed with a 375H&H with 260gr Nosler Partition, I would now reccommend a 9.3x74r for all the larger plains game.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far I've only killed one eland with a 375 H&H (the only African game I shot with the 375). I would have no resevations about using a 338 Win or 9.3X62, boh of which I consider to be amoungst the finest calibers for big plains game.I wouldn't hesitate to use my 416 RM either if I were also hunting DG and would feel totally justified based on the enormous size of the animals.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Like any other animal you can kill eland with relatively small calibers and bullets if the shot is perfect. When hunting you may have to take a less than perfect shot at a departing animal and with something the size of an eland a bigger caliber with a heavy bullet is probably prudent to get the penetration needed. In my mind the 375 seems to be about right and is practical for whatever other animals you maybe hunting along with the eland.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've been fortunate to shoot three eland, two Livingstone, one Cape- one with a .375 H&H with 270 grain Failsafes, one with a .338 WM shooting 210 grain Noslers and the Cape eland with a .300 using 180 grain Swift A-Frames. Without hesitation I would recommend the .375, the others worked, but not as well as the old Holland & Holland! One shot and "lights out".

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i shot all of mine with 375 with either nosler partitions or barnes x

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Slow and heavy always has done done wonders. But yes I would recommend a minimum of a .300 win mag with a 180gr barnes X or something similar that will penetrate. They are not the toughest animals but you have to hit them right and because they are so big bodied hunters make the mistake of shooting too high.

The golden rule "straight up the leg a third up into the body" counts for them as well!

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Aren't these antelope as big as a cape buff? Weigh something in the vicinity of a ton? Then what is to be made of this post on another thread:

quote:
Blacktailer,
When using copper monometal bullets the weight is unimportant, momentum and energy are. The animal does not care what the weight of the bullet is. It cares only about how much momentum and energy is applied to it. What you should do is look at what the different weights will do in terms of recoil, trajectory, wind drift and time of flight. Choose the one that will give you the best chance of placing the bullet right and still deliver adequate momentum and energy.

You have an eland on your signature. When we did the final field trials of our 308 130gr HV bullet, we had seven consecutive one shot kills on eland. Rifle was a sporterized military Mauser and we ran the 130gr bullet at 3200fps. It was a pleasure to shoot and we recovered no bullets. Shots were: One head shot, one neck shot and five chest cavity shots from a variety of angles including a quarter going away. No surprises, no failures, just rock solid performance.

Proof of the pudding.... http://www.gsgroup.co.za/bgeer.html
Gerard
gscustom.co.za

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/381100816

[/QUOTE]

Dave, The eland are larger than cape buffalo, and if wounded, can travel a long way before dieing! They outweigh cape buffalo by around 500 pounds, and the shoulders are at least a foot thicker from side to side. My choice for eland is a 375 H&H with a 300 gr Nosler partition, or a North Fork cps.

Balcktailer is forgetting the weight of the bullet is what determines MOMINTUM! The heavier a bullet is, compared to a lighter bullet at the same speed, the heavier bullet will have more, retain momentum longer after hitting the traget! IOW, the heavier an object is, the harder it is to stop, PERIOD!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I got mine with 9,3x62 - Bridger 300 gr. solid (PH instructed on using solid) quartering shot - in neck shoulder joint - exit see photo (2 inches to the right from the 9,3 cartridge) run 80m:

size of the animal will surprise anyone first time - they are HUGE - you get the proper expression when you actually stand beside - just one thing, counting on a clear classic broadside shot is more than a wish - they are extremely alert all of the time - expect fast shooting on more/less obscured quartering target - so another vote on 9,3 or .375 with hard heavy bullets

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son shot his with a .375 H&H. After seeing the size of eland, I think that was about right.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I shot a very large cape eland in 2002 with one shot from my .300WSM and it dropped to the shot. However, I would recommend a .375 H&H just to be safe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot mine with a .45-100-535. It went 20 yds. I would not say they are especially tough, but they are big for sure. I think a good .30-06 would be just fine if you can shoot adequately. Probably a .308.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I got mine with a 300 WM, 200gr NP. Not the greatest shot, but he was down within 100 yds.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had taken a picture with the skin off of the huge bull I shot my last trip. The ribs are not that heavy and the vitals not as deep as one might think. I shot one quartering on with a 45/70 no problems,another broadside with it, also used 8x68, 06, and 375H&H. The 375 had a ww failsafe that I hit the front leg at a bit of a quartering shot faceing me. The bullet broke the leg, but ranged down the skin of the leg and out without penatrating the body cavity. Just a fluke as it worked great on everything else.If it was the only eland I'd ever shot I could say they are to tough for a .375. A quick run and another shot put the animal down. My pal in namibia has shot well over 100 eland for himself and for the farmers he hunts for. His take on them ... "Eland are a big sissy".

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've shot one (375 H&H 300gr Fail Safe). I've witnessed three others being shot; one by 375 H&H and two by 338 Win Mag. I believe that because of their bulk an eland doesn't go far once the lungs are hit. With a broadside shot that is kept low enough I believe any well constructed bullet into the lungs/heart will get the job done.

However the problem comes with angled/raking shots as they are quartering away. The shoulders are massive. Trying to push a bullet through 5 feet of mass and then run into that shoulder is a receipe for a long hike and a trophy fee without the trophy. Such a shoulder shot eland will go a long, long, ways.

Use enough gun, proper bullet, and don't force the shot at a bad angle.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland are BIG.
I would want at least a 338, 35, 9,3 375 etc with a premium bullet with a SD. of @.300

I had planned on using my 9,3x74R double, but when I saw a monster eland I had my 450 No2 double. A 480 Woodleigh Soft knocked him down and a 500 Swift A Frame as a finisher did the trick.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eland experience has all been with .338 and larger. The .338 with 250NP seems to work as well as anything.

However, I know far too many people that have successfully used 30 calibers of various sizes on eland for me to discount their use.

A Namibian PH I hunted with used only a .300 Win Mag loaded with a 165 grain Swiss bullet (I think he called it a CDP). He shoots all of his plains game - inclusing eland with it. He even did some buffalo culling with the .300. Not my first choice, but in the right hands with the right loads these 30's will do the job on eland. I would lean to 200-220 grain bullets myself if using a 30 on eland.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
How big is an eland?

Big enough to warrant serious firepower for the nimrod!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
.30-06, 200 gr Nosler Partition. Angled heart shot from behind. The eland only ran about 15 metres, then stood shaking. Another shot broadside (to hurry the death up a bit). It fell over and died several minutes later.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
416 Rigby with a 400 grain Barnes X @ 2,400 fps knocked this old bull over. Shot was at approx. 70 yards. Never took a step, just rolled over with all four legs in the air.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
When I have hunted eland, always without success, I am sorry to say, I have used a .375 H&H Mag. and a .338 Win. Mag. Less than those I would not want.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standing or kneeling next to an Eland is a humbling experience. They are large animals.My Patterson Eland took 3 good .375 RUM shots with 300 gr. Swift A-Frames and went only 50 yards. The first was slightly quartering away @100yds.facing its back trail. All three bullets were recovered on the off side under the skin. This same combination has passed through Cape Buffalo.
I believe that .375 gives you the insurance you need for good kill shots without tracking for miles to recover your trophy. I would classify Eland as large as Buff. and if DG is on your agenda the .375 keeps you legal for all you come upon. I do agree that the first accurate shot is critical no matter what you shoot.
Robert
Wonderful eating and plenty of it.

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's seems the overwhelming majority of eland slayers use or recommend a .375 or larger caliber.

Not a single one of you chose a 130gr 308. I wonder why? How can a testimonal like this from Gerard at GS Custom bullets be discounted?
quote:
When we did the final field trials of our 308 130gr HV bullet, we had seven consecutive one shot kills on eland.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland are BIG! The only thing I know bigger are elephant and giraffe. I took my Livingston's with one 289gr Nosler Partition from my 9.3x62. I took my Cape with a 375HH using two 300gr Bear Claws. The first shot broke the shoulder and it fell, and the second was a grace shot. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a .308 bore in a very heavy (200-220gr), very stout bullet. The 338, 9.3 and 375 are much better choices, again with heavy, well constructed bullets. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 5 trophy eland with a 338 RUM and a 375 RUM. I think you need a 250 grain bullet or larger. The specific round you shoot probably ought to depend on what you believe your shooting or hunting conditions will be. I think the 338 RUM is just about perfect as it shoots very flat and carries alot of energy down range. MUFASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Let us get things into context here:

1. The thread where I made the 130gr 308 Eland statement originally asked what to use for Zebra. Most reccomendations were for calibers way bigger than needed if one uses monometal bullets. That is why I posted the proof of the pudding. If a gemsbuck can be taken reliably with a bullet/cartridge combination, so can a zebra.

2. I do the design and testing for GS Custom bullets. When I finalise a design, I do not go out and shoot itty bitty animals and pronounce the design capable. I shoot in order to try and induce a bullet failure - When seven eland, shot from every possible angle, do not produce a bullet failure, I reckon we have a bullet that works and with which anything smaller than an eland could be taken with confidence. That is why I said: "When we did the final field trials of our 308 130gr HV bullet,"

3. Talking about eland and zebra, here is how to deal with both.

4. Recently I posted that monometal bullets will perform far better than what their weight indicates when compared to conventional lead core bullets. Here is another example. I hope it does not cause you too much distress.
Wink

5. On this page you will find:
"I used your 110 grain HV bullet in 6.5x55 to bag a beautiful eland cow at about 100 metres."
"I shot two Eland (a cow and a young bull) in the 'Berg about 6 weeks ago with my .30-06 Ackley using 168 GS bullets."
"I received your e-mail too late to push up the load and stayed with the speed at 2900 fps (160 grain 30 cal. HV bullet). We enjoyed the hunt tremendously and the HVs worked perfectly."

My point is that we (GS, Barnes and others) have been telling hunters to drop the weight and push up the speed when using monometallic bullets, for more than ten years but the message is not getting across.

cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my only eland, in Namibia, with a 30-06 180 gr a-frame to the heart/lung area and a 180gr barnes solid backup. The animal did not move over about 15-20yds. I would have preferred my 375, but, the '06 was what I had, and it did the trick. You can see the eland, and yours truly, on the Getaway Kalahari Safari wweb site.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
You guys are in overkill mode---killed mine ----626 grains at 250fps-- went 65 yds and pilled up-- yes they are big -- really big -- if I could figure out the system would post pics -- but---

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
.223 if you are a good shot. 700 NE if you are not.

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Damn Wood, what did you use , a slingshot?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gerard

Posted 09 February 2007 20:34 Hide Post
Dave,

1. The thread where I made the 130gr 308 Eland statement originally asked what to use for Zebra. Most reccomendations were for calibers way bigger than needed if one uses monometal bullets. That is why I posted the proof of the pudding. If a gemsbuck can be taken reliably with a bullet/cartridge combination, so can a zebra.

2. I do the design and testing for GS Custom bullets. When I finalise a design, I do not go out and shoot itty bitty animals and pronounce the design capable. I shoot in order to try and induce a bullet failure - When seven eland, shot from every possible angle, do not produce a bullet failure, I reckon we have a bullet that works and with which anything smaller than an eland could be taken with confidence. That is why I said: "When we did the final field trials of our 308 130gr HV bullet,"

4. Recently I posted that monometal bullets will perform far better than what their weight indicates when compared to conventional lead core bullets. Here is another example. I hope it does not cause you too much distress.

"I used your 110 grain HV bullet in 6.5x55 to bag a beautiful eland cow at about 100 metres."
"I shot two Eland (a cow and a young bull) in the 'Berg about 6 weeks ago with my .30-06 Ackley using 168 GS bullets."
"I received your e-mail too late to push up the load and stayed with the speed at 2900 fps (160 grain 30 cal. HV bullet). We enjoyed the hunt tremendously and the HVs worked perfectly."

My point is that we (GS, Barnes and others) have been telling hunters to drop the weight and push up the speed when using monometallic bullets, for more than ten years but the message is not getting across.

Gerad
Is a Eland larger that a Cape Buffalo? If it is that would mean that all you need for Buff is one of these smaller rounds with a HV bullet.
DR B

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Damn Wood, what did you use , a slingshot?

Sharp stick!!!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
quote:
Gerard

Posted 09 February 2007 20:34 Hide Post
Dave,

Gerad
Is a Eland larger that a Cape Buffalo? If it is that would mean that all you need for Buff is one of these smaller rounds with a HV bullet.
DR B

Not long ago Saeed posted that one of his clients that he makes bullets for uses a 308 successfully for cape buffalo.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
40 inch Livingstone eland taken with .375 H&H with 300 grain Swift A-Frame at a distance of 20 yards.

Posts: 17 | Location: North Florida | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
Dave,

My point exactly. I could just as easily have titled this thread, "What caliber for Gemsbuck?" You seem to be saying, without equivocation, that your 130gr .308" bullet is meant for use against eland, zebra and gemsbuck.

Yet on 2 separate threads, NO ONE has admitted using that lightweight bullet against such heavy game animals. Perhaps they fear ridicule from the learned majority. I don't know. But I do know this: I don't even arm myself with a 130gr .308" bullet when in my home state hunting for white tailed deer. (a 270 Winchester, yes, but a 30-06 Sprfld, no). So I certainly would not spend a King's ransome, fly half way 'round the world to the most famous gamefields on the continent, looking to bag the 3rd heaviest game animal on this planet using a 130 grain bullet. Doing so would not be considered sporting. It would be a stunt for the Amazing feats part of Guinness world Records.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Smiler My wife's eland was taken with a 338 Win Mag. At the end of the day, I really didn't like the way the Nosler Accubond bullet performed. Broadside shot at about 80 yards, went only as far as one lung and hit no bones (not even the rib) on the way in. Her PH had a 458 and got to run a good bit while putting in finishing shots. While hunting buff relatively nearby, I counted one of hers, 10 of his (obviously didn't all connect), then 1 more of hers.

Had it been other than a broadside shot, like q quartering away shot, I'm convinced that 225 grain bullet would not have made enough penetration to hit anything vital. As it was, he could have run a long, long, l-o-n-g way on only one lung. She got a bit lucky, in fact.

My conclusion - if you use less than a 375, go with a heavy-for-caliber bullet. And stay away from Accubonds.

Posts: 740 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote