Find
Notify
Tools

Only the rich hunt Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
A side track of the Cecil crap in the airways, social media, and even my own emails seems to be the perception that only the "rich" hunt Africa.

We had a few visitors from Africa Hunting Forum on here recently that implied many of us on AR are "elitists" because we are RICH enough to hunt countries other than RSA and thus we look down on those who do.

One of our political parties in the US uses "class warfare" to their advantage in order to rally entitlement voters against the evil rich.

I'm ranting here I know, but I'm a bit tired of it.

In the Cecil crap it was repeated over and over again that Dr. Palmer paid $55,000 for his lion hunt and that he was rich. I realize this is discretionary spending. No one NEEDS to hunt a lion but Dr' Palmer's income level and net worth shouldn't even be in the equation.

I tried to think of a product in the US that cost in the ballpark of $55,000 that in some (if not many) cases is probably a discretionary purchase choice.

Did you know that in 2014 Dodge sold 439,789 pick-ups? 439,789

I own a 1996 Dodge diesel I bought used in 2000. I'll never sell the truck I actually use it as a truck and not a daily driver that never see's a scratch or lumber in the bed.

So, when a person living in the inner city buys a Dodge Ram Diesel new for over $50,000, uses to drive to work only, is he a rich bastard killing the environment?

Rant over.....discuss amongst yourselves Wink

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Considering that a PG hunt in RSA for 5 species during 7 days costs (including air fare) less than an Elk hunt sold by an outfitter in Montana (public land, not high fenced) I'd disagree with that sentiment.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering the avg median income per family is just over $50k/year, it is the "rich" that hunt Africa I'd guess.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
Considering the avg median income per family is just over $50k/year, it is the "rich" that hunt Africa I'd guess.

I wonder how many Dodge pick-ups are sitting in some of those driveways?

There's an interesting book called "The Millionaire Nextdoor" that outlines how living within one's means, even on that median income, can bring you to later having a net worth others would call rich.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Looks like I might have to do some self examination. I don't feel rich. My bank account balance doesn't look rich either.

The only area I consider myself rich in is the "Memory" section. Working on the next batch as we speak.

The average millionaire is self made. They didn't inherit it. the earned it. Hating on the rich is just jealousy from our entitlement society.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I will agree to some extent. I will say the pendulum is swinging the other direction. I will say a lot of the hunting today is only afforded to the rich (Sheep hunting in general, a lot of Africa, elephant bull, cats...ect). In the States and in Africa.

I just turned 40, have been on 4 safaris to Africa, and 6 international hunts. I will say I enjoyed them, each and everyone. I have always dreamed of hunting Tanz but I will tell you a simple buffalo hunt is in excess of $20,000 toda, and just priced a "good deal" 21 day event and would have been about $80,000 + charters. Could I do it once---yes, but that is a lot of money, and I might spring for it in the future if I live that long, and or my health and families stays good.

With your Dodge pickup statement, most cars are needed for transportation to and from work ( figured as a fixed expense)and are financed for 4 or more years. I agree with you--do most need a king ranch expedition? My wife has one, but (I drive a 3 year old Nissan Titan that's paid for)really its apples and oranges. Most hunts I paid for were paid 50% up front and 50% at the conclusion. that is a pretty big payment. Most folks do not have the "will" to put back the $850 a month for 5 years back to pay for a hunt of this nature taken by the good doctor, and don't know many bankers that will loan you money to go to Tanz or Zim to hunt.

I would bet most guys that go to Africa have more discretionary income than the "national average". Are all rich? no...but I know quite a few that hunt Africa that are considered independently wealthy. Hunting in general is expensive. All you need to do is go between Houston and San Antonio on a Friday in Dove, or Deer season. 4 wheelers, feeders, blinds...ect...a lot of money is spent.

Hey not to be the Devils advocate but I see this posted often--how I drive an old pickup and can afford to hunt because of it...all I am saying it is easier to "buy" and use a $50,000 truck, than spend $50,000 on a lion... my two centavos...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I'd say the real crux of this is that it's a question of how one spends their scarce dollars. Stated another way: it's not the rich who hunt but rather those who have allocated their expendable cash to hunting that hunt.

Case in point, my last hunt at Leopards Valley had my wife and I meeting a father/son team hunting. They were both school teachers - which should tell you that they are not rich. What they did do is elect to live a sparse lifestyle that allowed them to allocate much of their expendable cash to hunting.

They made hunting a priority and made Africa happen.

They also shot several amazing animals including a whopper of a bushbuck!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah it was guys just from ah thinking or saying that. If you read must for what they are most dont care were or what anyone hunts. Just made some points on how many but not all on here look down on SA hunts not really the hunter.

Then we have the all sa lion hunts are bs to. Dont see me bashing on guys hunting lions anywhere. I support all hunters rich or poor. Hell guys must bash guys on other hunting sites so how stupid is that.

Funny how all the heat is coming from zim ph doing something stupid in zim. When all the talk before was how SA was going to end hunting as we know it.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like "poor people" are always smoking.
A pack a day at $7 a pack that is $2555 a year.
Quit smoking and every three years it would cover a plains game hunt with airfare.

M

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcap:
yeah it was guys just from ah thinking or saying that. If you read must for what they are most dont care were or what anyone hunts. Just made some points on how many but not all on here look down on SA hunts not really the hunter.

Then we have the all sa lion hunts are bs to. Dont see me bashing on guys hunting lions anywhere. I support all hunters rich or poor. Hell guys must bash guys on other hunting sites so how stupid is that.

Funny how all the heat is coming from zim ph doing something stupid in zim. When all the talk before was how SA was going to end hunting as we know it.

Right!! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Africa is probably a better deal for the money than say, Alaska. I think the dollars equate better with less inflation.

About The Millionaire Next Door...I have lived it.

Dave

If you're sport does not put blood, dirt or grease under your fingernails, then it's just a game.

Posts: 4 | Location: Columbia, SC. USA | Registered: 15 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Then we have the all sa lion hunts are bs to.
Dont see me bashing on guys hunting lions anywhere. I support all hunters rich or poor. Hell guys must bash guys on other hunting sites so how stupid is that.

Right!! Roll Eyes

Oh yeah the rolleyes really got me there.

Your feeling get hurt that not enough people told you that your just awesome over on ah that you have such a problem. Grow up and stop trying to drum up fights between hunters. Get over yourself and that someone called you a rich hunter and thinking they are all just jealous of you.
You want to hunt another lion you better make the choice on if you want some of the lower class hunters on your side because we need all hunters together. It is time stop all the bs that keeps us fighting with each other.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
"Rich" is a relative term. It would be easy for a person in my income bracket to say "it must be nice to be able to drop that kind of money on a hunting trip." But then I realize there are lots of people who'd say same thing about my upcoming Wyoming antelope hunt. For many, $2500 for a speed goat hunt is as much of an impossible dream as a $50+K DG hunt is for me.

Without a doubt, Dr. Palmer earned a very good income. But even with that he probably still had to make some concessions in his lifestyle to indulge in his passion for hunting.

I've heard of many instances of people with average, and below average, incomes who have hunted in Africa. It's a matter of priorities.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Jim:
20+ years ago I read the book, "Millionaire Next Door." I made lots of sense.

I ain't rich by any definition, but I have a few nice rifles and been to Africa 14 hunts plus two vacations there. A person's wealth, if measured by income is only 50% of the picture, what is spent is the other 50%. I've invested and saved sell, in the 25 years that I've been single I've never had a credit card payment, car payment, or house payment. Just not paying interest is amazing when calculating one's discretionary income. Yet, many have called me rich due to my hunts and rifles and I've only been a public school teacher for my career. We all make choices and I've found out in my limited life's experiences, there are many volunteers and very few actual victims. Many poor are poor due to life style choices.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read the Millionaire Next Door and enjoyed it. My dad made me read "Think and Grow Rich" 40 years ago when I was a young teenager. Same principle, and good stuff.

I have guided probably 120'ish hunters over the past 12 years on mule deer, aoudad, antelope, and whitetails. There are two different classifications of "rich" hunters IMO. There are indeed rich hunters, those who know what they're doing afield and happen to have lots of money. Then there are rich guys who hunt, the guys who also have money but couldn't hunt their way out of a wet paper sack, or survive more than 2 days alone in the outdoors, but those are stories for another thread.

By and large Americans are a spoiled rotten bunch. I really like Dave Ramsey's approach....when you're younger live like no one else, so when you're older you can live like no one else. My dad taught me well, and I'm very grateful. For the first 40 years of my big game hunting life I never dreamed of hunting Africa, but I've been 3 times the past 3 years.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
PS.
I should add I have HUNDREDS OF TRILLIONS of dollars in Zim currency. If it ever makes a comeback, life will be great!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
The word Rich is such a cliché.
Some Neanderthals lived on mammoth and some on rats.
Same thing nowadays, each to their own.
Hell, I live in small MT town, small contractor, no work in Winter, but I"ll make do with what I make and on occasion I get to go to Africa.
Oh boy, don't I hear it afterwards. You would think I'm Damn Trump...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
The word Rich is such a cliché.
Some Neanderthals lived on mammoth and some on rats.
Same thing nowadays, each to their own.
Hell, I live in small MT town, small contractor, no work in Winter, but I"ll make do with what I make and on occasion I get to go to Africa.
Oh boy, don't I hear it afterwards. You would think I'm Damn Trump...

I know the feeling!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37739 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have indeed used the term "elitist" in a couple threads here in the African forum

That bring said.....

Money isn't always a factor in being a snob

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Elitist is good word.
Elite forces, elite troops, but you put it in front of the word Hunter and it changes meaning
Funny

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The politically incorrect answer by ar standards is yes - wild lion hunting is a rich man's sport/vacation. With enough financial sacrifice it can be done by someone who is not rich - the 1 percent crowd.

Replace lion hunting with another $50-$100k vacation - find another 10-15 day vacation where one spends is median family pre-tax income on a post-tax basis.

Replace mopane fire smell at night with with 600 count Egyptian linen bedsheets and you get the other side of the story.

Hunting has always been a hobby of the rich and elite. In North America with public lands (government owned and subsidized) hunting to a certain degree can be done by the less than rich. As we like to do - we have extended this unique North American hunting right - the need to not be rich - to activities around the world - where you are paying rich prices.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

You want to hunt another lion

I can't afford to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am truly rich. Not monetarily perhaps, but rich nonetheless.

Today, is my 33rd wedding anniversary. My lovely wife, who I love dearly, contributed to my next safari, which I leave on in less than two months. She knows how to get to my heart. Plus, she's agreed to go on the next one. For a woman who frequents Paris hotels, and is accustomed to room service, this is awesome.

I've already seen the Southern Cross, Kilimanjaro, Mount Meru, Lake Rukwa, the Selous, Bushmanland, etc. And I'm going again, with my wife.

I am truly blessed. While my funds are substantially depleted, I consider myself truly rich and blessed.

Posts: 10308 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There's an interesting book called "The Millionaire Nextdoor" that outlines how living within one's means, even on that median income, can bring you to later having a net worth others would call rich.

Cheers
Jim

The median white family net wealth is $111,146 (2011 numbers the most recent).

The median black family wealth is $8,348 (2011 data)

The median hispanic family wealth is $7,113 (2011 data)

Lets leave all the discussion of why the numbers are so varied to another non africa hunting thread.

Lets just assume the median white family wealth of $111,146. This is the families net wealth - value of houses, guns, cars, stocks & bonds, retirement everything basically minus debt.

So the median white family - the middle class is worth $111K.

A lion hunt in africa - wild lion - not the canned south african stuff is between $40K (burkina) to $125K tanzania - $120K will get you a good wild lion in Bubye probably best place in the world to hunt them.

So for the median white family - the middle class in the US - a single wild lion hunt before taxidermy and anything else (I did not even put tips in the $120K) will use up the whole asset side of the household balance sheet.

Lets move it to top 1% in US. http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/income-rank/

If you are a wage earner it $400K a year. After taxes - its around $240K of income assuming you stay in non-tax state. A wild lion hunt takes up 1/2 your yearly income. How many people take a vacation to spend 1/2 their yearly income?

So when you get to the wild lion hunting game today - you either save a lot of money for long time or one is really rich. That is the reality.

We can hide it all in saving $ by not going to starbucks to save for a african hunt ect but that ain't going to get you a wild lion hunt.

On trucks and hunting - I like the reference cause I use a zim buff hunt relative to a ford 150.

F-150 - 753,851 sold last year. Number #1 sales vehicle with a $50K price tag too.

End of day you can sell your truck back - its a consumer durable. Hunting is a pure discretionary consumption activity.

You can lease part of a truck. I own a GMC i lease for 50 cents mile. Replace it every two year if I want too or skip a truck for few years.

If you want to compare hunting to a truck better to use a per mile lease cost. 2 year lease on a GMC that sells for $40K is $10K.

I think a f-150 is far better value than a zim buff hunt - but that is me and like 700K other people.

Fun question by the way. Cause I always like seeing $20-$50K hunt reports by guys who try to save money when going to the hunting conventions. I think that is very cool cause it shows value for money and the priority hunting has for otherwise frugal people.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:
Considering the avg median income per family is just over $50k/year, it is the "rich"wa that hunt Africa I'd guess.

Cheers
Jim

The median white family net wealth is $111,146 (2011 numbers the most recent).

The median black family wealth is $8,348 (2011 data)

The median hispanic family wealth is $7,113 (2011 data)

Lets leave all the discussion of why the numbers are so varied to another non africa hunting thread.

Lets just assume the median white family wealth of $111,146. This is the families net wealth - value of houses, guns, cars, stocks & bonds, retirement everything basically minus debt.

So the median white family - the middle class is worth $111K.

A lion hunt in africa - wild lion - not the canned south african stuff is between $40K (burkina) to $125K tanzania - $120K will get you a good wild lion in Bubye probably best place in the world to hunt them.

So for the median white family - the middle class in the US - a single wild lion hunt before taxidermy and anything else (I did not even put tips in the $120K) will use up the whole asset side of the household balance sheet.

Lets move it to top 1% in US. http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/income-rank/

If you are a wage earner it $400K a year. After taxes - its around $240K of income assuming you stay in non-tax state. A wild lion hunt takes up 1/2 your yearly income. How many people take a vacation to spend 1/2 their yearly income?

So when you get to the wild lion hunting game today - you either save a lot of money for long time or one is really rich. That is the reality.

We can hide it all in saving $ by not going to starbucks to save for a african hunt ect but that ain't going to get you a wild lion hunt.

On trucks and hunting - I like the reference cause I use a zim buff hunt relative to a ford 150.

F-150 - 753,851 sold last year. Number #1 sales vehicle with a $50K price tag too.

End of day you can sell your truck back - its a consumer durable. Hunting is a pure discretionary consumption activity.

You can lease part of a truck. I own a GMC i lease for 50 cents mile. Replace it every two year if I want too or skip a truck for few years.

If you want to compare hunting to a truck better to use a per mile lease cost. 2 year lease on a GMC that sells for $40K is $10K.

I think a f-150 is far better value than a zim buff hunt - but that is me and like 700K other people.

Fun question by the way. Cause I always like seeing $20-$50K hunt reports by guys who try to save money when going to the hunting conventions. I think that is very cool cause it shows value for money and the priority hunting has for otherwise frugal people.

Mike

Mike we have a saying offshore fishing that applies here as well. Never do the math.

Try the math on marriage pal...Smiler

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading this I know I am going straight to hell when I die Smiler. I have been blessed to go to Africa three times-first time on a Christian mission trip, the last two hunting. One more trip for sure in 2016-gonna try to kill Mr. Chui, and already have one liberal daughter threatening to not ever step foot in my house if I do, but I don't GAS. The reason I can "afford" to go? I am what I hope is a typical American-I grew up with a great work ethic (thanks to my depression-era parents) and have basically worked my ass off for the entire 62 years of my existence. I raised four kids in a lifestyle much better than I ever had, and have no regrets about that. Now, they are "off the payroll" (for the most part) and I have the "disposable income" to satisfy some of my passions before I get too GD old to pursue them. I work in a profession that relies on "disposable income" to exist. A speaker that I heard many years ago made what I consider a very astute statement: "Clients can afford ANYTHING they want-they just can't afford EVERYTHING they want". Go in to any "convenience store" in the U.S. after dark and look at all the "poor people" buying their cigarettes, beer, and lottery tickets (most with a credit card issued my the Feds). I bought a 1999 Ford 250 truck in the summer of 1998 and drove it until spring of 2014. At age 62 I figured my next truck might be my last, so I bought I 2015 Ford Platinum F350 with all the bells and whistles, and with add-ons I have close to $100K in the truck. I drive it work every day and use it to hunt and pull my fifth wheel and I enjoy it every time I get in it. To those that say I spent too much $$ I say it is my $$, I live in the greatest country in the history of the planet, and if you don't like it you can KMA. As long as I am free I will spend my $$ like I want. Everyone has choices. I will spend plenty to take my wife to a great restaurant, and to hunt. Some think I am nuts. I think people who spend $$ on professional sporting events and "concerts" are nuts. Our differences is what makes the world go round. OK, off my soapbox, just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
After reading this I know I am going straight to hell when I die Smiler.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Jim:

I ain't rich by any definition, but I have a few nice rifles and been to Africa 14 hunts plus two vacations there. A person's wealth, if measured by income is only 50% of the picture, what is spent is the other 50%. I've invested and saved sell, in the 25 years that I've been single I've never had a credit card payment, car payment, or house payment. Just not paying interest is amazing when calculating one's discretionary income. Yet, many have called me rich due to my hunts and rifles and I've only been a public school teacher for my career. We all make choices and I've found out in my limited life's experiences, there are many volunteers and very few actual victims. Many poor are poor due to life style choices.
Cal

Cal,

We all know Janet Reno has been your sugar momma and helped pay for those "garbage" doubles.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I offer this thought as well.
There are a few posters on AR that have, lets say, more than 10 guns of various types.

I suggest that if you have more than 5, sell the excess and spend that money on memories in Africa. I have sold an estate recently that had in excess of 50 long guns. That money would have paid for a couple of nice safaris.

Get rid of "stuff" and spend your time on a hunt that will change your perspective on life.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

Get rid of "stuff"

We have slowly started to do that since we retired. It's amazing how much "stuff" you actually accumulate over a long life together.

My guns, except for a couple, have some memory attached to them. My guitars are the same. It's tough to decide to part with them and which ones get "cut" from the stable.

I just gave, for free, my extensive martial arts library to a friend of 40+ years that I got started into Gung-fu. He has a school to this day and has continued the traditional lineage without submitting to the push to go eclectic as many styles have. It actually felt good to know I passed them on to someone that not only appreciated them but would also pass them on to a lineage holder when the time comes.

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
Jim:

Cal

Cal,

We all know Janet Reno has been your sugar momma and helped pay for those "garbage" doubles.

Keep this a secret!
You laugh and make fun, but until you've seen Janet in a thong bikini and rubbed her down with sun tan lotion, you won't know what your missing.
It could only get better if Rosie O'Donnnel could accompany us with all of her tonnage.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you peasants arguing about? coffee

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are you peasants arguing about

I like it!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:
What are you peasants arguing about

I like it!

Hey Dude!! Check your voice mail now and then. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn glad to know I was rich instead of having to sell half of my collectible guns to be able to afford to go..............

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
What are you peasants arguing about? coffee

I wondered why the Communists that hang around the AR Political Forum have not slithered over to this thread. Maybe a comment like that will get some responses.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep this a secret!
You laugh and make fun, but until you've seen Janet in a thong bikini and rubbed her down with sun tan lotion, you won't know what your missing.
It could only get better if Rosie O'Donnnel could accompany us with all of her tonnage.
Cal

ewwwww barf

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Keep this a secret!
Cal[/QUOTE]

Warm in winter, shade in summer. Wink

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The current average media income in the US is $28,800 which is pretty much inline with year 2000 income thanks to Obama and his pals in Washington. So when you consider any cash purchase in the $55,000 range for pretty ANYTHING, it's going to be considered a huge purchase relatively speaking. So for the average stiff, $55K for a freaking lion is pretty much going to be met with a lot of Whloyshit comments.

To hunt a MGM lion on Concession or private unfenced land for $55K, the rest of us would be green with envy considering what the lion should have cost. Anywhere else and a sure bet like Cecil should have cost in excess of $85K, less the collar rebate. There would have been a line of folks willing to pay that. Of course that should have been a great big light bulb for our hunter in question. But I digress...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus has a point. Getting ready and less than two months out, I was going through my contracts and trophy fee lists earlier today and it's a lot more than that, with no cats.

Add cats and well, ...

Posts: 10308 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote