THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Watch out British airways new rule - 11mm weapon ban
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watch out British airways new rule - 11mm weapon ban
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
why use camp guns if you have NO desire to hunt anything other than with your own rifle?? just wait it out and hope for the best. NO MEANS NO, RIGHT???

Well, to be honest, I would just wait it out under those circumstances for a couple of days. I am practical however. I won't spend that type of money to go on a hunt without my guns. But once the cash has been paid and I'm there, if the guns lag, I'm willing to make a plan. I probably would do some sight seeing depending on how many days I have and how difficult it appears to be to get everything on the plan.

If I have a 14 day buff / tuskless hunt in the Zambezi Valley like my upcoming trip in October, yeah, I'd probably wait on the guns a couple of days. I scheduled plenty of time in the hunt for that very reason. If I finish early, we'll look for something else to hunt or just go fishing and enjoy being there. If I'm on a leopard or lion hunt, it would be stupid not to begin obtaining bait. And if a cat were to begin feeding prior to the guns catching up, yeah, I'm going to use a camp gun under those circumstances as cats are too unpredictable.

Just to be clear as to answering your question. If I've spent $50,000+ to hunt lion and find myself in camp without my guns, yes, I will use what is available because the money is already spent at that point. However, I will not spend $50,000 to hunt lion and embark on the trip to camp if my guns are not going to be allowed on the hunt. Does that clear it up for you? In my opinion, there is no ambiguity in those two statements.

One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to the Empire?

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that a paedophile is often more popular in the UK than a hunter is. Eeker

You are not far from the truth..Spot on actually!.
The problem with England and their traditions in gun cuture is that so called upperclass people always had an access to sporting firearms. Their gunculture begame strict when the commen man suddenly could buy a firearms out of his monthly paycheck. Most politician almost lined up to prevent this and today still is today. From a historical point of view its quite clear why the people of the british isles who wanted to be free went west, and all the slaves were left behind.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two friends that come to south Africa sometimes twice a year. They refuse to fly BA once they flew SAA.No gun problems

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the obvious answer to this issue is SAA!

I returned yesterday from South Africa on SAA [my 9th round trip in 12 years - all on SAA].

I flew through Washington to Johannesburg. The aircraft were both [same?] seemingly new Airbus 340-300.
The seats and spacing seem to be the same but now include a nicer headrest and footrest too, and the new in flight entertainment system does away with most of the underseat boxes [I could see none but I don't know that for sure] and the armrest telephone/remote control. The new system uses a touch screen.

The economy cabin service was quite a bit more efficient than even last October. The crew seemed quite friendly and cooperative, it has noticably improved over the last few trips.

The food was very good, IMHO. Portions could have been more generous on some selections, but others were quite a meal. I had a choice of meals at every serving. 3 meals on the eastbound leg, and 2 meals and a snack on the westbound. Drinks were freely available, though they lacked Bourbon [or even Jack Daniels] and the beer was only cool.
You must remember to get all your alcoholic drinks at the same time though - cocktails, wine for dinner - whatever. They did not even blink when I asked for two of each.

Sure it's still coach and seating is crowded and there are a lot of people around, but surely no worse than the average, and much better than most US domestic services!

And so far at least - no new firearms issues. [though the "ammo case" issue still remains at the smaller domestic airports, likely resulting from a personal revenue shortage.]

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you are stewing over larger than 11mm rifles the rule says "firearms larger than 11mm".
That would include any shotgun larger than a .410 so even the most ordinary shotgun would be banned and many large caliber handguns.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
quote:

I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that a paedophile is often more popular in the UK than a hunter is. Eeker

The problem with England and their traditions in gun cuture is that so called upperclass people always had an access to sporting firearms. Their gunculture begame strict when the commen man suddenly could buy a firearms out of his monthly paycheck. Most politician almost lined up to prevent this and today still is today. From a historical point of view its quite clear why the people of the british isles who wanted to be free went west, and all the slaves were left behind.

Actually, not quite. It started when the last Czar and his family got topped. The British Royals let it be known that they were not so keen to follow the same road as their cousins. So succesive British Governments have slowly reduced any revolutionaries chances of arming themselves. Since then, disarmament of the British public has been ably assisted by the cabbage, carrot and nut eating brigade.
Further, it wasn't quite slaves that were left behind, but those who considered it a high risk to bath more than once a week [Saturdays] and thought that a first class meal was fish and chips [fries] eaten out of an old newspaper.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
cabbage, carrot and nut eating brigade

Referred to as the fruits and nuts in the US...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Actually, not quite. It started when the last Czar and his family got topped. The British Royals let it be known that they were not so keen to follow the same road as their cousins. So succesive British Governments have slowly reduced any revolutionaries chances of arming themselves. Since then, disarmament of the British public has been ably assisted by the cabbage, carrot and nut eating brigade.
Further, it wasn't quite slaves that were left behind, but those who considered it a high risk to bath more than once a week [Saturdays] and thought that a first class meal was fish and chips [fries] eaten out of an old newspaper.

Absolutely 110% correct. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
quote:
cabbage, carrot and nut eating brigade

Referred to as the fruits and nuts in the US...

Not the "granola bar?" Fruit, nuts and flakes. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably too late but please try to get the names of hunters who had problems & then let me have those plus flight details & names of staff involved etc.

Pin down the facts in order to mount an effective battle on this. As Steve said, take names.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, I had been rather wondering if the British attitude on guns didn't have something to do with class warfare.

I used to see it in the British fishing magazines, too -- a differentiation between those who leased expensive trout and salmon spots and other who fished for "rough" species.

What a shame.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can they bring in a ban for a certain size limit ?

Seems really strange to me.

Is it set in stone ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
How can they bring in a ban for a certain size limit ?

Seems really strange to me.

Is it set in stone ?

Is B.A. operated by the Brit Gov't or is it a private business like James Purdey & Sons?
JP&S could ban you from walking in their door with a red shirt on if they wanted too.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is like Qantas, a Private Company
BUT because it is such an icon, it has strings attached !!!

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the SAA Aerbus flight still stop at Sal Island in the Azores? My wife and I took that flight from Atlanta to Joburg a few years ago. It was hell being on the ground after 12 hours in the air and not being allowed to de-plane and stretch our legs. The Delta flight this year on a 777 was direct. Nice airplane, good service, on time, and nonstop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am suppose to leave this week with my rifle chambered in .500NE on BA. Just emailed Gracy Travel.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

One good thing about being English is that when foreigners like you take the piss out of us we are amused by the fact that you don't mock us half as well as we do ourselves. And as for Brits taking heat from South Africans? I don’t really think so.

There has always been a certain good will here towards our Japie mates so, when the guys who own your country finally kick you out, there’s always a job for you here. Working behind the bar with all the other “when we” walts.

Having said that, many of us here are enjoying the hammering your Tutu is handing out to that complete doos Blair. So thanks for that.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
Does the SAA Aerbus flight still stop at Sal Island in the Azores? ....

No it does not, at least for the last 12 years or so.

The Washington departure stops in Dakkar, Senegal to fuel and change crews, 8 hours into the flight.

The New York flight is non-stop to Johannesburg.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:

There has always been a certain good will here towards our Japie mates so, when the guys who own your country finally kick you out, there’s always a job for you here. Working behind the bar with all the other “when we” walts.
Having said that, many of us here are enjoying the hammering your Tutu is handing out to that complete doos Blair. So thanks for that.

As I can trace my South African ancestry back to the early 1700s, who owns what, and if I do choose to leave, it will be of my own accord and in my own time. I do not think I will be serving up warm dishwater behind a bar counter in the Damp Isles.
Tutu is not mine and Blair is an indication that the only decent PM Britain has had since Churchill, has been Maggie Thatcher.
I am sure your Japie mates appreciate your good will and from what I have heard, their skills and work ethics have benifited GB in positive manner, some even in recent times, making the supreme sacrifice in your armed forces.
Back to this thread, I am certain that it was not a South African who came up with the 11mm BS. If it was, you are more than welcome to keep him or her.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For LHowell:
I asked about the SAA flight from Atlanta to Joburg. My last trip was in 2005, and the flight stopped at Sal. I have no interest in running afoul of the gendarmes in NY, NJ, Washington, etc., I have enough problems flying out of LAX.

Cheers,
Tim

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
While you are stewing over larger than 11mm rifles the rule says "firearms larger than 11mm".
That would include any shotgun larger than a .410 so even the most ordinary shotgun would be banned and many large caliber handguns.

Ah, common misperception about definitions here. In the UK shotguns are "sporting guns". Firearms are center fire and rim fire rifles. Also included in the firearm catagory are shotguns with over three rounds in the magazine and all slug/buckshot rounds. We have seperate certificats for sporting guns and firearms.

The 11mm rule will not effect sporting guns. That is not to say that some idiot counter agent might attempt to do so but my shotguns are CLEARLY marked on my shotgun certificate and NOT on my firearm certificate.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Cole,

I hope you won't mind me correcting you slightly there.

What you say is correct within the UK but the airlines are bound by the Air Navigation Order (Carriage of Dangerous Goods) Act & that defines all shotguns, handguns & rifles as 'sporting Firearms' which they are allowed to carry and/or 'Weapons of War' Which they are not allowed to carry.

Therefore as far as they're concerned, there isn't a difference between a shotgun & a rifle etc. All are classified as firearms..... Although as you say, whether a check in agent would know that is a different matter.

FWIW, a 'Weapon of War' is defined in the act as any calibre that has ever been adopted by a military force and everything else is a sporting firearm.

posted Hide Post
Hi
Coming from the UK we find BA a complete load of crap. I have been to SA 7 times hunting and only used BA once. (Got a free upgrade from a mate to 1st class).
I generally use SAA but they are getting greed on pricing. Also have used Iberia, Air France and Lufthansa. Never had a problem as they are part of the SAA Star Alliance. You have to do a stop in the country concerned but that cuts the flight to Joberg down to 9 hours.
Not had to pay on SAA but Iberia charged 40 euro going but nothing returning.
I send clients out to SA and will be recommending anyone except BA.
Also recently found out the South Africans are trying to charge up to 300USD to bring ammo back from East London. Just been told this by a client. He dumped the ammo there so it looks like they're as bad as we are!!
Good luck everyone
Adrian

Posts: 7 | Location: UK | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just curious, I have only flown one time and that was in Canada. In looking at the stuff on BA , how is this to be interpreted:
quote:
Firearms above 11mm calibre will not be accepted for carriage as passenger hold baggage – they may only be carried as cargo.

Does the above merely state that such firearms cannot be put on the plane at all, or that they can be shipped as regular cargo in the hold, but is not allowed as "carry-on" baggage?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Firearms can't be taken as cabin baggage so the ban means firearms of 11 mm or over may only be taken as cargo & there are a variety of problems with doing that and a travelling hunter might just as well discount that option right from the start.

One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
There is a BA route from SA to Zim that is flown by Comair. Does anybody know if this new regulation also applies for them?

Good Hunting

CF

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After contacting BA it seems that no one there is sure where this 11mm thing came from. They told me it might be a 'typo' and are looking into it.

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Ethiopian Airlines has always been hunter savvy. They have a great reputation in africa over the past forty years.

Check them out if convenient.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
When I heard about this, I emailed a friend who works for BA and he then spoke to the relevant senior managers who then passed the problem on.

The upshot is that the ban is now withdrawn and larger than 11 mm are now OK to travel and I've been asked to pass the good news onto the forums.

I haven't checked to see if the website has been amended but am told it will be. Smiler

My thanks to BA for responding so quickly & positively to their customers needs. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I heard about this, I emailed a friend who works for BA and he then spoke to the relevant senior managers who then passed the problem on.

The upshot is that the ban is now withdrawn and larger than 11 mm are now OK to travel and I've been asked to pass the good news onto the forums.

I haven't checked to see if the website has been amended but am told it will be. Smiler

My thanks to BA for responding so quickly & positively to their customers needs. tu2

Still listed on their website as a ban of 11 mm

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Frederik Nagell:
There is a BA route from SA to Zim that is flown by Comair. Does anybody know if this new regulation also applies for them?

Good Hunting

CF

Comair is a regional that code shares flights with BA but is not owned by them, IIRC. I am guessing they have their own firearms transport regs. as an FYI, their flights from JNB to both Bulawayo and Harare are usually cheaper than SAA.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13433 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Still listed on their website as a ban of 11 mm

Yup. I saw that.

My latest email (in part) says:

"Steve

ba.com have been asked to change it.
It will probably be part of their next update."

In the meantime, if anyone is travelling BA they're welcome to contact me if they need details & I'll pass them on but I'm not comfortable posting (full emails & names etc) emails that have a privacy clause at the end of 'em.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, what was the reason for that?

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We flew united to Washington then Saa to jhb then Zim but the rifle was not loaded in Dulles despite 4 hour wait. Gracie travel says this may be a problem next year with united to Saa feed. Anybody had this problem. I just came back from SA with delta but no rifle and direct flight. Worked out well. Anybody used delta with rifle and how did it go?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did United Albuquerque to Dulles to SAA Johannesburg July 30 and it worked well.

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The BA website has now been amended.

My thanks to all at BA for responding so quickly to customers needs.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Quoted from the BA web-site; still doesn't quite make sense! Roll Eyes

Packing requirements for South Africa or Italy
Firearms and/or ammunition will be accepted provided they are packed in an appropriate carriage case, or if this is not possible, packed securely inside a suitcase with your personal effects. If the firearm and/or ammunition is carried in addition to your free checked baggage allowance, extra bag charges will also apply.
Firearms and ammunition are not allowed in hold luggage with general personal possessions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cole,

I hope you won't mind me correcting you slightly there.

What you say is correct within the UK but the airlines are bound by the Air Navigation Order (Carriage of Dangerous Goods) Act & that defines all shotguns, handguns & rifles as 'sporting Firearms' which they are allowed to carry and/or 'Weapons of War' Which they are not allowed to carry.

Therefore as far as they're concerned, there isn't a difference between a shotgun & a rifle etc. All are classified as firearms..... Although as you say, whether a check in agent would know that is a different matter.

FWIW, a 'Weapon of War' is defined in the act as any calibre that has ever been adopted by a military force and everything else is a sporting firearm.

Steve.

They are actually all firearms aven in the uk. It is just that rifles are section one firearms and shotguns section two I think. We also have section 5 weapons which are pistols and autos etc which are generally prohibited with limited exemptions.

Sporting firearms in general include rifles and shotguns. It is just a classification which provides exemption from the articles of war classification.

Incidentally you can hold non sporting firearms on a uk FAC if you are given the variation.

Sorry to go off topic but uk law is often misrepresented on he Internet and is generally not as complicated as many believe

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote