THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Giraffe-Which Bullet with a 338/378?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giraffe-Which Bullet with a 338/378?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have booked a hunt with Mike Kibble in Namibia for 2008.

My main rifle will be a 338/378 WBY Accumark firing 240 North Fork HG SP's.

The largest animal taken will be a old stink bull Giraffe...............do you blokes have any other suggestions for projectiles in this cartridge for a Giraffe. NB: Posting; "use a 458 Lott etc" is a waste of time, as the rifle I will be using is the 338/378.............

All suggestions on projectile type are welcomed!! Solid versus soft-TSX versus North Fork, versus Swift etc...

Cheers.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
You should be just fine with the load you have.
After the first shot get in a insurance shot if you need. These giraffe can cover a lot of ground pretty quick pretty fast.

But shot placement is the key make sure you know where the heart is situated quite different to any other game.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blair
I have shot 2 Giraffe, one with a 450 No2, and the other with a 9,3x74R.
I assisted on a 3rd with my 450/400.

I used only solids and I recommend you do the same.

Do you plan to head shoot or body shoot?

PS. Giraffe are a lot of fun to hunt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks SH. So noted.

Any thoughts on a head shot................?

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Blair
I have shot 2 Giraffe, one with a 450 No2, and the other with a 9,3x74R.
I assisted on a 3rd with my 450/400.

I used only solids and I recommend you do the same.

Do you plan to head shoot or body shoot?

PS. Giraffe are a lot of fun to hunt.

N E 450,

Depends on how the stalk winds up.......probably a body shot will be the most likely, I would imagine.

Was thinking a Barnes Banded Solid might be handy?

Blair.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
If you do get close enough you can easily go for a head or neck shot. The heart is just 3-5 times larger target. Giraffe hunting is not as easy as it seems a huge best in the open. But with your flat shooting rifle you should not have any problems going for head or neck.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari-Hunt:
If you do get close enough you can easily go for a head or neck shot. The heart is just 3-5 times larger target. Giraffe hunting is not as easy as it seems a huge best in the open. But with your flat shooting rifle you should not have any problems going for head or neck.

SH,

The 240 NF appropriate for a head shot in your opinion?

Cheers,

Blair.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Yes, no problem you dont have to drive the bullet trough feet of skull and bone like an elephant. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari-Hunt:
Yes, no problem you dont have to drive the bullet trough feet of skull and bone like an elephant. thumb

Cheers mate.

Thanks for the advice beer

Blair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NB: Posting; "use a 458 Lott etc" is a waste of time, as the rifle I will be using is the 338/378.............

Use a .458 Lott sofa dancing

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would definately want to have some solids.
I would try to find a solid load that hits as near as possible to my NF soft load. Or if you have the NF soft a fedw inches high at 100 the solids hitting close to the crisshairs at 100 yards.

The North Fork Soft is an excellent choice.
AS long as your solids are going at least 2200fps they give you all the penetration you need, ie they do not have to be as fast as your NF Soft.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with the head shot. A friend tried that shot and if it wasn't for the PH getting in a back up shot real quick he probably would have lost it. Depending on the angle you can get yourself in trouble.

I used a 416 Rem on mine.
Heart shot is not behind shoulder. So be sure and look at a placement book to be certain.

Make great mounts. Save back skin as well
Save skull as it is a great conversation piece.

Posts: 26 | Location: texas | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with Jerry. Take this animal very seriously. I am unaware of your capabilities but I would not take a neck shot and would only take a brain shot if I was extremely confident in the situation. When shooting at heart keep shooting if he is on his feet. Shoot solids. If you can upgrade to the Lott do it. My close friends and I have shot 6 giraffe with only 3 recovered. The 3 recovered were body shot with large bore solids to the body. one of the lost ones was hit at least 7 times with .375. One other was shot 1 time with .470 and 2 times with .458 Win.. The only one I personally killed died from a single solid 500 gr. from a .458 Lott.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I will only use solids. Make sure about shot placement. Study the animal, the heart sits very high and well to the front. If you go for a "head"shot, it is not really a true headshot, you put your bullet centre in the neck just behind the skull, this will severe the spinal cord and the bull will drop, they have large necks. Make very sure of your shot, whether it is a heart lung shot or a high neck shot, they have tough skins and can go a very long way. I will use the heaviest solid available.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
A last thaught, I will not consider a brain shot, their brains are very small compared to the size of their skulls. If you miss it you will be busy for a very long time to catch up with that bull.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blair

I have never shot a giraffe but a friend and very experienced hunter just came back from RSA where he shot a huge bull. The 250 NP from his 338 only pentrated one lung on a broadside shot. This indicates to me that the TSX or X is the only expending bullet up to the job. If you use solids remember you don't have the frontal area of larger solids so the wound channel may be quite small making precise shot placement extremely important. Personally I think a larger caliber with solids would be the prudent choice.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
I took my old bull with a 225 barnes x launched from a 338 win mag (back before the triple shock was around) It was a very steady frontal heart shot and the bull went down in 10 quick leaps. (which took him well over 100 yards)

He shuddered at the hit and staggered on the 4th and 6th leap and I was applying pressure on the trigger when he finally fell. The massive heart had a nicely cut barnes x type hole thru it that you could easily get 3 fingers in so it was hard to believe he stayed up as well as he did. Another old bull was taken the same week and it took an initial poor hit from a 300 and a magazine full of lead from a it and a 450 to finally anchor it.

So I'm sold on a tough expandable bullet and good shot placement over bone smashing but in the end if one is leaving with a blood trail it might take some of both!

If you only have 8' ceilings and you cape them right you can get a full dining room rug and a ceiling high neck mount out of a big male!

PS: I agree they are fun to hunt, its like stalking game with it havving the tree stand advantage!

You can read some of the details of my giraffe hunt in the last 2/3rd of the 3rd column of the story I wrote @: Another Great Safari...

Good Hunting

Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
if it is this one those north forks should be best Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is a pic of the stink bull I took last July near the RSA-Zim border..
I used a Hill Country Inc. rifle in .300RUM with 200 grain Barnes bullets ..
1st shot was right on the money on a broadside shot.. Second shot was quartering away after he decided to put the afterburners on.. a tad far back, but still high in the lungs. 3rd shot was right above the base of the tail. This one dropped him like a sack o' potatoes.. I then went ahead and put one last one into him for insurance.. 4 shots all within about 80 yards. End result... one big animal on the ground!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22_hornet:
Be careful with the head shot. A friend tried that shot and if it wasn't for the PH getting in a back up shot real quick he probably would have lost it. Depending on the angle you can get yourself in trouble.

I used a 416 Rem on mine.
Heart shot is not behind shoulder. So be sure and look at a placement book to be certain.

Make great mounts. Save back skin as well
Save skull as it is a great conversation piece.

A friend of mine wanted to shoot a giraffe. We told him to be careful of his shot, and make sure he did not shoot too high.

Despite this, he shot it far too high. The giraffe started running, and he started shooting at his wobbling head. He never hit it.

The giraffe was making a beeline to the other concesstion, I had to spine it, and it dropped on the road seperating the two concessions!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the input and bloody good stories from you blokes thumb

I must admit I was leaning towards a TSX if using a soft instead of the 240 NF or solids in lieu.

Saeed,

I heard about a shot you made on an eland from Dion Van Niekirk, I have no doubt that giraffe was a dead bull running Smiler

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madabula:
I took my old bull with a 225 barnes x launched from a 338 win mag (back before the triple shock was around) It was a very steady frontal heart shot and the bull went down in 10 quick leaps. (which took him well over 100 yards)

He shuddered at the hit and staggered on the 4th and 6th leap and I was applying pressure on the trigger when he finally fell. The massive heart had a nicely cut barnes x type hole thru it that you could easily get 3 fingers in so it was hard to believe he stayed up as well as he did. Another old bull was taken the same week and it took an initial poor hit from a 300 and a magazine full of lead from a it and a 450 to finally anchor it.

So I'm sold on a tough expandable bullet and good shot placement over bone smashing but in the end if one is leaving with a blood trail it might take some of both!

If you only have 8' ceilings and you cape them right you can get a full dining room rug and a ceiling high neck mount out of a big male!

PS: I agree they are fun to hunt, its like stalking game with it havving the tree stand advantage!

You can read some of the details of my giraffe hunt in the last 2/3rd of the 3rd column of the story I wrote @: Another Great Safari...

Good Hunting

Mike O

Nice taxidermy, Mike thumb

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
if it is this one those north forks should be best Big Grin

Is that a blow up doll?, Boomy Big Grin Wink

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:
NB: Posting; "use a 458 Lott etc" is a waste of time, as the rifle I will be using is the 338/378.............

Use a .458 Lott sofa dancing

Big Grin thumb

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair,

I would give the woodleigh 300 gr or are the 310 gr softs a go that big case will still drive them at 2700 fps I reckon maybe more deep penetration and good expansion you shall have
"

P.S. I know nothing of hunting African game so thats just what I would load if I had your gun and trip Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
Gentlemen,

I must admit I was leaning towards a TSX if using a soft instead of the 240 NF or solids in lieu.

Saeed,

I heard about a shot you made on an eland from Dion Van Niekirk, I have no doubt that giraffe was a dead bull running Smiler

Dion is being too kind. He might have forgotten to mention that they were 20 eland bulls standing together. I just aimed in the middle of the lot, and luckily hit one!

Twice!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Looks like some of the women I've seen waddling across the parking lot at Wal-Mart... Eeker

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BLAIR
You may loose your petals with the tsx, at those velocaties, try the nosler e tip it should be avaliable by then,still think the north fork is the way to go at those speeds its INDISTRUCTABLE...
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
BLAIR
You may loose your petals with the tsx, at those velocaties, try the nosler e tip it should be avaliable by then,still think the north fork is the way to go at those speeds its INDISTRUCTABLE...
Daniel

Daniel,

Good suggestion. Thanks mate. thumb

Cheers.

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Blair,

I would give the woodleigh 300 gr or are the 310 gr softs a go that big case will still drive them at 2700 fps I reckon maybe more deep penetration and good expansion you shall have
"

P.S. I know nothing of hunting African game so thats just what I would load if I had your gun and trip Big Grin

PC,

I was thinking about the Woddleigh's but was unsure as to whether the jacket would be heavy enough. They certainly have the SD!

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
Gentlemen,

Saeed,

Dion is being too kind. He might have forgotten to mention that they were 20 eland bulls standing together. I just aimed in the middle of the lot, and luckily hit one!

Twice!

Big Grin

Dion did mention it was a very long way............................................ thumb

Blair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blair
Woodleighs expand to a very large diameter.
I wouold be concerned about their penetration from your rifle.

The NF Softs are a great bullet, I might use one for my first shot, but I would think about solids for the follow ups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My pal in Namibia uses a .338 win for about everything. I had sent him some speer 275 grain bullets at one time. He used those on a big bull. Heart shot, it ran 30 yds and fell, he put another into the back of the skull for insurance at 10 yds. He couldnt find the bullet as it went on into the guts, but said the hole in the heart was impressive.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSJ:
My pal in Namibia uses a .338 win for about everything. I had sent him some speer 275 grain bullets at one time. He used those on a big bull. Heart shot, it ran 30 yds and fell, he put another into the back of the skull for insurance at 10 yds. He couldnt find the bullet as it went on into the guts, but said the hole in the heart was impressive.

TSJ,

That does bring to mind perhaps using the 275 A-Frame...................with solids for back up. Hmm........

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should shoot it in the chest with 240 gr north forks to see what happens.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I think you should shoot it in the chest with 240 gr north forks to see what happens.

Dan,

I'm up for that.........what do you predict will happen, assuming I put the bullet in the correct part of the chest?

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you miss the shoulder blade and hit the lungs, the giraffe will run 50 to 100 yards and drop.

If you hit the shoulder blade, all bets are off with that light bullet.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 grain Woodleigh soft (blue nose).

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
If you miss the shoulder blade and hit the lungs, the giraffe will run 50 to 100 yards and drop.

If you hit the shoulder blade, all bets are off with that light bullet.

Fair enough Big Grin thumb

Duly noted.

Blair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.338 solids are fantastic penetrators. A giraffe has thicker skin and heavier bones (BY FAR) than a Cape Buffalo.

While I am unfamiliar with Northforks I still think it is bordering on foolhardy to use anything but solids on giraffe.

I have been in on many many giraffe kills - and a couple of woundings as well, I once walked 2 full days on blood spoor and never saw the animal once. It was hit 3 times, twice with a .375 and once with a .458 WM. To be sure shot placement is first, BUT penetration to the vitals is a must.

Experiment on a big giraffe bull at the peril of your feet and your wallet.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote