New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia:bowhunt. Small secret gems?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am hoping to go back to Namibia next year (2014). I have read and combed this and the usual bowhunting sites, and am familiar with the well known spots to go. I am sure that they are everything that they are reported to be. I always like to try the small off the beat places to go whether it is a hotel, restaurant or this. I have to believe that there are some hidden gems out there, that are just not well know because they cater to a smaller audience. Good solid accommodations and food, and good blinds and quality animals are what I am looking for. I am not as interested in a hotel quality operation, although I am certainly not criticizing that either. I have had the pleasure to stay at three well know operations and I have absolutely no complaints. Each to his own, as they say.

If you folks could give me some places to look into, I would be very appreciative.

Steve

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Westfalen Safaris. Family run, excellent food, top shelf people, and a gorgeous area densely populated with game, Can't beat that.

http://www.westfalenhuntnamibia.com/index.html

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Check Van Heerden Safaris out. I hunted with Hentie a few years ago. Had a great hunt.
He is a bow hunter.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Please give strong consideration to Keerweder Safaris. They are wonderful people, great hunting and facilities and can accommodate bowhunters. They meet your criteria of a smaller less well known organization.

Thanks
Paul

Keerweder Safaris

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I went in 2005 with Francois Swanepoel, more of a rancher doing hunts as a side business and had a great experience. Not the usual hunt in terms of tented camp, or traditional lodge, more like living as a houseguest and going hunting every day.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tobie Englebrecht would be an ideal ph for you. He is passionate about bowhunting. The accommodations are very nice and the food is excellent. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makalaan Farms, Ph Antoine Louwe,, they have a website, accomodations are very good, large bow only area, small operation, Maximum of 4 hunters at a time, I will make my 5th hunt there summer 2014. They have a website, just google it and you can get plenty of reccomendations from AR, especially off the bow site here. Their Eland , gemsbock, wildebeast hartebeast giraffe wart hog and impala numbers are great and quality very impressive.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Westfalen Safaris. Family run, excellent food, top shelf people, and a gorgeous area densely populated with game, Can't beat that.

http://www.westfalenhuntnamibia.com/index.html

I'll second this. We've probably sent 50-60 clients there and have had 100% satisfaction. Very well run, small family oriented outfit. I really enjoyed the entire experience.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have all been very helpful with some good ideas. Each of the suggested spots are very very nice but remain a little more main stream (except for one) than I am looking for. I greatly appreciate the special attention, and time to "hook me up" BUT I want you to think even smaller and more off the beaten path: if there is such a thing. Meanwhile, I will continue to investigate the suggestions that you have sent me.
Thanks Steve

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't been since 2004 and 2007, but Wayne Cilliers/Allan Cilliers have a great place bordering Bushmanland. I think Allan is back to hunting big game, but his son Wayne, last I heard was thriving with the bowhunting operation. They use bushman trackers, and Allan is the only white African that I've ever met who speaks the language fluently.

If you stay in Windhoek, I'd recommend Onganga. Good food, nice accomodations. Family run operation.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When looking at places to hunt, if I have any advice for you it will be this, whether you are looking for a place while at SCI or DSC,, when an outfitter says we can accomodate bow hunters,,, that means bow hunters are welcome but when you go to a place that is only bow hunting,, they better understand what you expect as a bow hunter and are set up better for bow hunting.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
When looking at places to hunt, if I have any advice for you it will be this, whether you are looking for a place while at SCI or DSC,, when an outfitter says we can accomodate bow hunters,,, that means bow hunters are welcome but when you go to a place that is only bow hunting,, they better understand what you expect as a bow hunter and are set up better for bow hunting.

+1

If you want to go bowhunting you absolutely want to go with someone that caters exclusively to bowhunters or has areas set aside for bowhunting only. If they throw up a pop-up blind a day or two before you get there it is a recipe for disaster.

I was the first client to have hunted Makalaan and I have been back six times. I give them my ringing endorsement. Small and family owned and operated.Hunting is conducted on family property. Home cooked meals are both delicious and plentiful.Headed back with a friend in two weeks and I can't wait !

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the recommendation on Keerweder Safaris. Truly a hidden gem. It's exactly what you are looking for.

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 for Makalaan. Great place to hunt.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent!

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a great hunt with African Twilight Safaris.
At the time They were compition bowhunters.
One group at a time. They farm over 100,000 acres

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote