THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Would you consider a Blaser as a DGR?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you consider a Blaser as a DGR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Blaser rifles. I do not care if it is for Africa or the US. They do work

I love hearing from gents that wont use it refer to what they think they have heard somewhere report on something somewhere about the Blaser that they think did not work.

But I really love to hear the all the experts that bow up the chest and boldy claim that this rifle design must not be good because their good ol' boy brain says it just can't possibly be so.

If we all thought like these enlightened people we would never get anything accomplished in this world.

Times change. Deal with it. Believe it or not the Blaser R93 works and works well.

Like I said I love knowing that these "experts" cant stand that the Blaser system really does work. Those of us that have tried it know what the real deal is. Those that don't want to use it that is just as fine because we all do not like the same things. But some of you really look stupid to comment out of ignorance and arrogance.

Posts: 26 | Location: texas | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
P.S. R93 feed FN bullets without any hiccups.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I said earlier I am not huge Blaser fan, not because they don't work well or shoot well, but becuase I just don't like the aesthetics's of them. I don't like plastic internals even if they are strong and work well.

They just kind of turn my stomach. For the same reason I like the 1978 ford F-250 better than I like the newer plastic pick up trucks for serious off road use. I just like solid steel and solid axles and distributor with points better than computers and plastic on an off road vehicle.

It is called personal preference and there is no accounting for taste I guess.

But the push feed reliability argument is out with a Blaser. Because they do not operate like any other push feed on the planet.

(This explanation is from a users observations and the terminology is going to be all wrong but I'll try and explain it in my own ill educated lay terms. Wink )

The magazine has a keeper at the lips or a tensioner if you will. This keeper hold tension on the case until the round is most of the way into the chamber. The Blaser will feed upside down, while being banged on the floor or any other way I could think to make it fail and it feeds single stack which makes a double feed all but impossible. It is a controlled round push feed if you will.

I know this will make me a heretic to the Mauser gods but I truly believe that the R-93 is a more reliable feeder and just as reliable an ejector than a M-98 design.

It sure as hell is as smooth or smoother and much faster than any turn bolt ever built.

One of the things that I didn't like about my R-93 is that if you didn't smack the bolt home with some force the gun would lock up but be just aft and out of battery. Which would make for a very loud click at the wrong time.I have often wondered if this is what caused the bolt blow back injuries we've heard about. Possibly in a gun with just a hair longer firing pin?

It always worried me that this rifle will drop the sear on a bolt that is just aft of full battery and not quit locked up all the way. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Blaser with barrels in 375 and 416, and a love it;
But I must say that I have had, once, a problem of extraction with a 375 RWS cartridge, with no referenced cause (mild temperature weather, clean barrel....)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both my father in law and myself used the R93 in the Selous last year. The weapon performed as well as anyone could of imagined including our PH who said my first day "I have to get the guy with the Blaser"! He later said the performance of the weapon changed his mind. The gun was used by my 71 year old father in law, my PH, my self. It was dirty,wet, and it fed so fast when it counted. I love it more each day. It was hard to get used to. But, it is a great weapon. With four pages of arguments on this-we will never agree. But, know this we should all be using this energy to fight the Govt. of Tanzania's huge $$$ increase so we can all hunt with whatever we choose in that beautiful country without getting robbed by the Govt.

Posts: 32 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: 22 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually Tait, in previous threads, a few years ago, the antis would have won. This time around the pro Blaser faction has won. I am now one of them having owned my Blaser for a wopping 6 weeks or so! It WILL go to Africa when I go.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

This isn't about winning or losing it is about an exchange of information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, one would sure hope so. Unfortunately that is often not the case. I draw your attention to the CRF PF debates as just one example. People with entrenched opinions offer them, and repeat them ad nauseum. My choice of words was probably not appropriate. What I meant to say was that there seemed to be more supporters of the view that the Blaser is a DGR (which was the original question), than there were naysayers. A similar question a few years ago would have given a different result, I suspect. I will state that, if you read the posts, most of the posts by the pro Blaser lobby ie. the Blaser owners, were quite well reasoned, unemotional statements of the opinion and the experiences that back it up.I don't recollect seeing any statement to the effect that "I had one but sold it because it wasn't really a DGR". The Blaser group is rapidly turning out to be the kind of group I want to be associated with.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter

Check out www.blaserpro.com

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks NE I just took a look. I will have to "join up". While I love my Blaser, I also love my K gun in 500/416, my MK Owen in 450 x 3 1/4, my CZ 550 in 416 Rigby, my Tikka in 9.3x74R etc. so I am not ready to marry them! Maybe just a committed relationship!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has Blaser done anything to correct the problem of escaped gas from a ruptured case blowing into the shooters face? I quess a better question is, has Blaser modified the action to vent the gases in a safer direction?

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote