Find
Notify
Tools

Proud Father
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Minor Nomad
posted
While we were living in Zambia I was fortunate to have the chance to go hunting several times. I did this in several formats, with a friend, on my own and with my Children.
Hands down the best trips I had were with my children.

I am no different to most people, my work takes up a massive amount of my time and the free time I have off is spread thinly between all the other commitments that I have in my personal life. It’s not hard for time with the kids to be pushed aside for other priorities.

Introducing my kids to Hunting and sharing a passion of mine has given me the opportunity to spend quality time with my kids as well as pass on valuable life skills and experiences.

My Hunts at Munyamadzi with Fairgame were particularly memorable due to sharing them with my Children.

The first hunt in 2010 that eventually I took a hard earned Buffalo was a trying affair with extremely tropical weather and torrential down pours. It was hugely rewarding but hard yards.

Ben accompanied me on this hunt and stood beside me all the way when we tracked the buffalo for hours in driving rain and oppressive humidity. And he did not complain once.

We got caught on the wrong side of a flooded creek late in the afternoon and had to park up as the sun set to wait for the swollen waterway to subside. It was still raining and we had no cover. Andrew and Thor lit a fire on a nearby bolder and we huddled around it for warmth. Meanwhile we made warthog back strap kebabs seasoned with salt from the skinning shed. It was a great experience to share with Ben standing in the rain, in deep dark Africa, gaining warmth from the fire, eating a Warthog kabab listening to the night sounds, waiting for the road to open and telling stories.

Ben was also able to hunt a few animals of his own and open his hunting account doing something that many people don’t ever get to do - hunting wild Africa.

In 2011 I joined the AR Group Hunt at Munyamadzi. Ben accompanied me again and this time I was also able to bring my daughter, Hannah, as well.

Ben is an engaging young man and he is instantly liked by adults and Andrew had offered him the position of "junior apprentice PH" for the trip. Ben assisted Andrew with the hunt but he managed to do a bit of hunting as well.

He took a very nice impala and once again proved that the time he had spent with me hunting in both Australia and Africa had paid off and he made some nice shots to bag his animals.

This was Hannahs first hunt and before we left for the trip we had been practicing shooting off the sticks with my CZ550 30.06 and she had become a good shot out to 100 meters.

Due to the format of a group hunt there is a bit of patience required as it’s not all about you. So Hannah spent many hours standing beside me while other people were hunting. For a young lady this was a huge feat particularly when the drag bucket in the back of the Ute started taking on a smell that could only be described as overwhelming.

On our last day she was handed the rifle and told it’s her turn now - Let’s go and find an Impala. Hannah hunted guided by Thor with her gun carrier Father in the van. We pushed a herd of Impala through a wooded area with many small hills and eventually we had headed them off and a shot presented itself. Hannah lined up on the sticks and I checked the range and it was 175 meters and I was a bit worried. Thor talked her through the shot and she fired and missed. To her credit she sucked it up and kept going.
In the fading light she got the opportunity to take another shot and nailed it. A good first trophy and an excellent hunt where persistence and focus was rewarded. When she returned from the hunt all in the camp thoroughly and sincerely congratulated her on her achievement. With her proud Father standing at her side.

The best thing about this trip was that both Ben and Hannah were exposed to many different people including the staff, the PH’s and the various people from all over the world who came on the hunt.

Ben and Hannah where included in the conversation and the experience and learned valuable life skills. For me I was proud that they were able to soak up the experience and the highs and lows of a typical hunt and interact with the multitude of personalities and situations. I don’t think there are many other ways you get a chance to experience this type of camaraderie and life experience and I was very happy to share that with them. I would also like to thank the people on the trip (you know who you are) for accepting them into our club so readily.

The real reason why I go hunting is not the final thud as the bullet strikes the magnificent creature you have been pursuing, this is only part of the journey. The reason for committing the time and money to the adventure is all about the experience and sharing this with my children makes this all the more rewarding. Both Ben and Hannah made me proud with the way they conducted themselves while on Safari and I was happy to be able to share this life experience with them.

I would also like to thank Ben and Hannah for wanting to spend this time with me and sharing my passion.

Posts: 49 | Location: Cairns QLD Australia | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear this story. Glad you took the time to post..Outstanding!!! The very best to you, and your family.

Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a son and a father, my hat is off to you. Your children will be stronger and have a confidence in themselves that can't be bought, bartered, or earned in most any other way.

Until I was about 30 years old, it never occurred to me the lessons that I learned from hunting as a youngster. Responsibility from being trusted with a rifle. Ability to provide food for my family. Self confidence for knowing that I would succeed even if it didn't go as planned.

I hope and pray that my daughter has learned the same.

Thank you for sharing.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
My kids live for our annual 3 day hunt. Not only because of the hunt but because of the time together. I feel like the richest man on earth.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Like father like son. Good on you mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Very good post! Hunting brings families together for sure. Most (if not all) of my fondest memories growing up were of me hunting with my father and 3 brothers.

Thanks for sharing!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bos en Dal Safari's
posted Hide Post
Spending time with your kids is Time well spend, being able to do it in such a manner is it is time very well spend. I also like to take my teo daughters to the veld, not for hunting though as they are only 2 and 4. But to be able to spend time with them in nature. And giving them the oppertunity to experiance the greatness of Gods creation.

Thanks for posting

Best Regards
Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren
Bos en Dal Safaris
www.bosendal.com
Tel: +275158307
email: gerrit@ehw.co.za

Posts: 56 | Location: Rustenburg South Africa  | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Doesn't get any finer. Hunt with your children not for them.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote