Find
Notify
Tools

Intro and looking for suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
I signed up for the forum a while ago but finally got around to starting to check it out. I’ve decided to look into booking a safari for the 2021 season. A little research online has left me a bit overwhelmed. While I can only assume this will be my first trip of many to Africa as I’m still fairly young (38) I want to get this one right. My work schedule won’t allow for anything over a 14 day hunt at this juncture. My feeling is that if going all the way to Africa, I want to do DG and PG. I have been thinking Cape Buffalo/tuskless or Cape Buffalo/hippo with of course some PG. These seems to be the parameters of a trip I’m comfortable with in terms of time away and cost. The second factor for me is that I want to take my significant other. While she likes the outdoors, she isn’t exactly the “elk camp in the Rockies” type. I want to find the right combination that will be fun for her as well as myself. I’m happy to provide any additional info about what I think I’m looking for if it can help with recommendations. My very cursory searching has made me think that Zimbabwe and Zambia are the best fits for me. Again, I’m excited to learn and hopefully contribute on some small level here. Thank you in advance.

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Welcome. You’ll get some great guidance here. I can only speak of plains game in South Africa. Best wishes and again, Welcome.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Both Zimbabwe and Zambia will cater to your needs. Both can offer the species you desire.

Zambia has a greater variety of plains game animals to choose from and consider classic antelopes such as Sable and Roan.

Both countries offer the traditional style of safaris in remote wilderness areas.

Buffalo and plains game would be my choice for a first safari and you could always consider taking two Buffalo? This can be done over 14 days.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, any recommendations of specific outfitters that I should check out or contact would be appreciated.
Fairgame:
Thanks for the advice. I’ll check out your operation as well and pm any specific questions I might have if that’s alright.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
zebrazapper,

The man above, Fairgame (Andrew Baldry), is the best PH I have hunted with in Africa after nine safaris in four different countries. He is honest and is a man of high character. I have hunted with him (4) times now in Zambia.

I have hunted both Zimbabwe(2) and Zambia(4) and my personal preference is Zambia. I like the variety of PG there and the quality such as their Sable & Roan for example, plus the political scene is much more 'calm' in Zambia.

These are just my opinions FWIW. I would highly recommend Fairgame as your PH.

Surefire7

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your in luck, there are a lot of great choices for the hunt your are looking at. I would contact a couple of booking agents, they will have several options. Mark Young, here on AR, is a good one. I have booked a hunt through Mark for 2021 in Zambia for buffalo and hippo and PG. They have a great deal for somebody coming along with you. Enjoy the process of selecting your first safari, it won't be your last.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.
I'm a little jealous.
Planning a first safari is an extremely exciting adventure in itself!
So far you've been given good advise on here.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zebrazapper:
Also, any recommendations of specific outfitters that I should check out or contact would be appreciated.
Fairgame:
Thanks for the advice. I’ll check out your operation as well and pm any specific questions I might have if that’s alright.

Contact the Outfitter who recommended Zambia and Zimbabwe (Fairgame). He has nothing but great reviews and a solid history of
great reports and feedback.

If I decide to go on a dangerous game hunt, he will be one of the first Outfitters that I contact.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having done one trip I set up myself and one trip through a booking agent, I heartily recommend the agent.

Mark Young is all over the boards - he set up a GREAT trip to Zim for me and my family. Wife and daughter had a great time and I shot what I wanted to shoot.

PM me if you'd like to talk

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not "dive into" a DG hunt on your first Safari, and especially not a double DG hunt. I emphasize the "first" as there will be more than one, given your age. Especially if you are taking your wife along.

Here are some things you should figure into your decision: a double DG hunt will carry a stiff daily rate, easily 3x the rate of a good PG hunt. Why pay 3x to hunt PG?; 14 days in a remote camp in a foreign country is hard on an observer; and PG hunting in a DG area is usually not that great. Also bear in mind that plains game tends to be a bit thin on the ground in most DG safari areas, that's just the way it is.

A good 7 day plains game safari will be a great intro and easy on the wife. There won't be as much pressure to hunt hard as the stakes are a bit lower. Accommodations are typically less primitive and there is less likelihood of a death march on the tracks of a wounded animal. A day trip or two may be possible for her. And it's hard to focus on PG until your DG is done and that can take some time. Tuskless, for example, can take up all of 10 days and involve a lot of walking, leaving little time to hunt PG.

Then after "cutting your teeth" you will be raring to go back for your DG, and better prepared. Wife will also know what to expect and may not want to go along. You can continue to work on your list of PG on this and subsequent hunts. A nice hunt is one species of DG with PG on the side.

So my recommendation would be a PG hunt, followed by buff/pg in a year or two, then you will be ready for elephant on your third hunt. If you resist the urge to mount everything you shoot, the total cost of these 3 hunts won't be much more than doing a 14 day double DG hunt.

As far as destinations for PG, you are spoiled for choice. RSA-north, RSA-Cape, RSA-Zululand, Namibia, and Botswana are all excellent destinations in their own way. If you have the time, a side trip before the hunt is worthwhile. Etosha, Vic Falls, Cape Town, Zulu Battlefields are all worth a couple of days.

If you want to spice things up a bit by hunting PG in an area where there is also some DG, there are a couple of places where you can do that without compromising or paying thru the nose. One in Zululand comes to mind.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll contact a couple of the booking agents suggested. I'll also contact Fairgame and any other operators who are highly recommended in Zimbabwe/Zambia. I want to get to work on this as I understand that for 2021 I may need to book relatively soon (next few months). I'm not hung up on any certain game beyond a DG component and a good variety of PG so I don't know that I have to book in a set region.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After my first trip to Africa, I had a hard time conveying the experience to my wife. I finally realized the only way she was ever going to relate is to go with me. She has joined me on the last 4 trips, and I think it would be a game-ender if I tried to sneak off without her! The last trip was for buffalo and tuskless (with Charlton McCallum) - and even though she was 56 at the time, and we covered over 70 miles on foot trying to catch up to them - she thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Africa isn't like roughing it in a tent in the states - usually the quarters are well appointed with comfortable beds, flush toilets and manicured surroundings. The food is tasty and plentiful. The staff cater to you at most "camps" and the experience is more like a getaway at posh resort. If your wife is at all outdoorsy, she should consider going.

That said - that is a topic for discussion between the two of you.

Best of luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebrazapper, I don't know if anyone mentioned this but african safari camps tend to have very nice accommodations. I did a first time safari buff and plainsgame hunt and you can too just know your rifle well and learn to shoot off sticks.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife, a non hunter, and I have travelled to Africa for two months, 9 times over the last 12 years. Sometimes with our family. My hunting experience is limited to a one week hunt in South Africa on each Trip. Our favourite hunting farm in South Africa in South Africa is Africa Dawn Safaris. It is a vast property and the non hunting members of our party were aways encompassed. It is a high class operation,
charging average prices.

Africa is just as much about non hunting actives as hunting ones.
My wife and I greatly enjoyed:
A week at Chobe Game Lodge in Botswana, (Viewing elephants at close range from an electric river boat and see Lions up close from an open electric power Landcruiser and enjoying luxury hospitality.),
The train tour on the Desert Express in Namibia,
A few days at Etosha Park,
And visiting the Blyde River Canyon near Kruger Park.

We also found that a guided tour of Soweto and the Apartheid Musium, and a range of historical sights including battle fields was a very valuable/interesting part of our African experience.

You can see and experience a lot of Africa in two weeks. One week of hunting and one week of exploring.
Tips:
- On your exploring part, don't try to do too much. 2-3 things are plenty. Use a guide whenever you can. Safer/easier. and you will learn and see 10X more.
- When you make inquiries for your hunting trip always ask what they offer for the non-hunting members of your party. Also ask how many people will be in camp. (I think it is best to be the only one.)

Also, If you can hunt a buffalo, Do it!!

Enjoy your trip,

Brian,
wbriangallup@gmail.com

PS. I just read Russ Gould's suggestions and agree with all of them. However, some times a PG hunt will have a buffalo hunt as well.
Africa Dawn Safari, like many others, offer cape buffalo hunts too. I hunted two buffalo there using their newish Winchester Mod 70 in 375 HH.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The next person I hear about being disappointed in a hunt with Andrew Baldry at Royal Kafue (fairgame) will be the first.

He's kinda ugly, but apparently a damned fine PH.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10396 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was dissuaded from a DG hunt as my first hunt in Africa so I selected an 18 day Lion hunt in the Kilombero (Tanzania) and have never regretted that decision. Took a proper lion, 4 buff and plains game. Don't be deterred from a buff hunt as it is a great first hunt. Andrew is the man as they say. Tinie Kok and Richie Schultz in Zim would be another great choice.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
For a truly wild experience with dangerous game, avoid South Africa.

Also, as you have expressed your desire to hunt both DG and PG, go ahead, and you will never forget it.

My first safari was just like this, shot an elephant and several buffalo, and my girl friend loved it to.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another good choice would be the Duckworths, Mokore Safaris. Their camps are exceedingly comfortable, and their camps in Zimbabwe and Mozambique offer incredible PG density as well as DG opportunities. My wife doesn’t hunt, but has really enjoyed their camps.
I agree on not trying to cram everything in on your first trip. I’m kind of old school on getting your feet wet then figuring out your goals before graduating to DG. 12-14 days would be a very relaxed PG hunt, leaving lots of time for game viewing, etc.
You might add a premium glamour species like sable. Mokore’s Mozambique camp has terrific Nyala.
Charlton McCallum Safaries have great camps in more typical DG areas with somewhat more limited PG options. I’ve hunted with Buzz half a dozen times, but I’m kind of an elephant freak. It’s a specialized hunt. They offer good cat hunting as well, but that’s really not a good hunt for a first experience.
I have never been as well cared for on any trip outside of a safari camp. Craig Boddington said that the worst safari camp in Africa is more comfortable than the best elk camp in BC. There are exceptions, but mostly that’s true.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would second what Marty says. For your first safari I would look at doing a plains game hunt in an unfenced dangerous game area and you would be hard beat to better the Duckworths area in Mozambique! You will be well looked after and spoilt for choice in quality and quantity of plains game!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read this story 17th of October 2014 on the hunt reports

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7661040502

I brought my son. This was my first trip in Africa outside the fenced farm hunts in SA.

I strongly recommend the CMS operations... You also find the story on http://www.cmsafaris.com/zimba...ery/gallery2014.html

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
I would second what Marty says. For your first safari I would look at doing a plains game hunt in an unfenced dangerous game area and you would be hard beat to better the Duckworths area in Mozambique! You will be well looked after and spoilt for choice in quality and quantity of plains game!

+1

I just got back from Coutada 9. I prefer it to the save and I really really like the save.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a DG and plains game hunt then do it. Don’t let people talk you into the idea that you have to start with getting your feet wet with only plains game! The only consideration regarding country to hunt would be based on plains game species that may only occur in that country. Also as fairgame mentions the two buffalo hunt, late season discounts are really hard to beat and you might just find yourself hunting two buff for almost the price of one! Good luck!!

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with AR MAN and some of the other posters. If you want to hunt DG on your first hunt, do it. My first hunt in Africa was a buffalo/plains game hunt with Peter Bernard in Zimbabwe. I hunted nothing else until I got my buffalo, as Peter recommended. Then I shot 3 impala, a baboon, and a spotted hyena. I could not have asked for a better hunt.

The camp was tents on the banks of the Zambezi. They were very comfortable, had a flush toilet, and I got a hot shower every night. Food was excellent.

I like to do some touristy things wherever I go. In Africa I have been to Etosha National Park, Damaraland, the Skeleton Coast, Victoria Falls, the Okovango Delta, Kreuger National Park, and some of the Zulu War and Boer War battlefields. There is lots to see all over southern Africa.

The only hunt I did that I would not recommend for your wife was a leopard hunt. I think she would be bored most of the time.

I wish I had started going to Africa at your age. I was 61 on my first trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also went after buffalo on my first safari.

I do think elephant (you mentioned tuskless) is probably a bit more for a later hunt, because of the length of time and the concentration on the one animal that tends to happen- you may get one quickly, in which case everything is good, but for a first hunt, I think a variety is better. This goes even more so for cats, but sometimes there is an opportunity when you get there for something you don’t expect.

As others have said, with the flush toilets and running (but not potable) water in camp, this is not a similar camp experience for your wife. The big thing for her will likely be that you are there for a longer time than usual for a hunting trip and the things available from a non hunting perspective are limited in areas typically hunted in a wilderness fashion.

You have been getting pretty good advice about options. Zambia and Zimbabwe are both good buffalo places, as are areas in Tanzania and Uganda in my experience, but the prices at the latter two tend to be higher. All offer good plains game as well.

If you want a more luxurious camp, that is where South Africa is more a leader. Namibia also could provide what you want, but with its recent severe drought, it might be more difficult to hunt and more limited in animal availability. Both have some free range buffalo, but they are more known for game farms.

I would encourage you to look at hunt reports here to make your choice of country a bit more informed, you may want to go back a bit for more numbers. Lots of folks here with a lot of experience, although I will be one of the first to admit the reports here are hardly a percentage of every hunt, and with social media shaming many are reluctant to post personal details nowadays.

Good luck with your hunt!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go do the same trip I did when I took my mom to Africa except with more hunting. My mom did not want me killing a lot of stuff.

Go to save in zim in June July.

It will be winter and weather will be very nice.

You will see a lot of the big 5.

Hunting buffalo and plains game will be very good.

Mokore has a very well run camp - very good locations, excellent facilities, great food.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can take the time I would highly suggest attending the Dallas Safari Club convention in Dallas the 9th through the 12th of January. In addition to most of the major safari outfitters the are also symposiums of may safari related topics. I believe the symposium topics are now avaialble at the DSC website.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbs:
If you can take the time I would highly suggest attending the Dallas Safari Club convention in Dallas the 9th through the 12th of January. In addition to most of the major safari outfitters the are also symposiums of may safari related topics. I believe the symposium topics are now avaialble at the DSC website.

That's a great suggestion. Another option (even bigger show) is SCI in Reno. But the best suggestion I can give is to find your local SCI Chapter. Most have their annual fundraiser in mid winter or early spring and you can meet outfitters in person and also visit with folks that have been with that outfitter. That's hard to do at the big shows.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider eland. Usually a challenging stalking hunt very like buff. You still get to take a huge beautiful animal. Bigger than buff, usually.
Your expenses are lower and you get to find out what you like to do. Less pressure, plains game rates, and you would be in a better position to select a dangerous game hunt that suits you, and having spent less you can do it sooner. Elephant is a little different, a much more specialized hunt. Got to go to school before doing post graduate work.
If cost is not an issue and you feel like hunting a buff on your first hunt, cool.
The best hunts are tracking hunts, that’s where the magic happens.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great advice both here and on PM. There are several people who have been recommended that I either have contacted or will contact. I have thought a lot about PG versus PG/DG. I truly think I’ll regret it if I hunt PG in an area with DG and don’t have the opportunity to experience both. I appreciate what several have said about tuskless, I wasn’t considering what a specialized hunt that seems to be. I was just thinking in terms of what was available within the timeframe and price point where I’m comfortable. I am still pretty hung up on Buffalo though. I’ve got a shiny new 375 just for this trip, LOL. I even hunted with it here this season on a couple trips just because. Again, I truly appreciate all the advice and encouragement and am taking everything you guys are saying into consideration. I’ve got tons of questions in terms of travel, gear etc. and will post some of them too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are bound and determined to do a 14 day buff/pg hunt, then do it this way: book a 7 day plains game hunt at $500 per day; and then a 7 day buff hunt at $1000 per day. Don't pay $1000 per day for all 14 days.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Reading your posts leaves no doubt; you relish the thought of hunting Cape Buffalo and that's what I would do. All of the southern African countries offer great Buffalo hunting and classic plains game. Your choice could be to consider the species available as different countries hold common and not so common game animals. My first venture into Zimbabwe yielded only a Zebra, Bushbuck & Waterbuck as it was during the heat of February and we were on an exploratory trip. I did manage to observe the remarkable waterfowl and upland type birds and upon my return for Leopard, a client and I smashed geese, ducks, Francolin and Guinea's. Our Leopard and plains game hunt came to great fruition as we both took Rowland Ward Leopards and other fine trophies. Zimbabwe is a great destination but so is Zambia, Mozambique or Botswana, although the hunting recently reopened in Botswana and time will tell how well or smooth things roll. I've had clients book Buffalo for 7 days, then roll over to plains game for 7 days, reducing the daily rate as Russ posted. Some outfitters will give you a discount for bringing a non hunting partner, so don't be shy about asking. They can only say no. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can afford a DG hunt, do it. There's no telling what might change in the world or in your personal life that could make that opportunity less viable in the future. As an example, I bet a good number of people on this site wish they had shot a trophy bull elephant or lion before imports became almost impossible.

Buffalo in wild Africa (i.e., not game farm, regardless of the country) is 100% the best way to go. Andrew is right about taking two if you can swing it. It's some of the best hunting in the world if done right. I would avoid the Mozambique swamp hunts, though, as they don't involve the tracking that makes it such a thrill. Make sure that you know up front that you'll be on a tracking hunt, as there are other places besides Mozambique where you'll end up driving around and then just spotting and stalking, which isn't the same.

I wouldn't bother with hippo, unless you know someone who can give high odds that you'll be able to take one on land. In the water, it's just a whack-a-mole game with largely guaranteed results and is fairly unfulfilling. Croc, on the other hand, can be big fun if the area offers a spot-and-stalk type hunt. They're a very switched-on animal, and there's something cool about taking an animal that likely saw black rhinos and maybe even ate a villager or two in its 60+ years.

On buffalo, insist on a hard-bossed bull. I've seen way too many photos of grinning first time safari hunters with immature buffalo that they took with professional hunters who know better.

One last thing, and I'll probably piss some people off by saying this, but lots of the PHs on here will silently nod their heads in agreement: If you hunt in Zambia or Zimbabwe, your odds of getting a quality hunt without shenanigans are much better if you book with someone with an English last name. There are exceptions, for sure, so this is more a warning to do extra due diligence and ask for private messages from people who know what they're talking about.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would opt for TAnzania, a 10 day buffalo hunt, 2 buffalo and 5 PG animals..other animals can be hunted for trophy fees..I see no reason not to hunt DG on one first hunt, you never know if you'll have another chance, In life you better get it done while you can..Tanzania hunts are tented hunts, but the accommodation are like a 5 star motel with canvas walls,flush toilets, hot showers, great food, just plain comfortaboe with all the amenities, those boys have got camping down to a science..Never had a lady complain, not one.

Tanzania is the best of todays offer for a African safari, or as close as you can get...Its always been my favorite, the others. although nice seem a little too commercialized for my taste..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zebrazapper:
Hello,
I signed up for the forum a while ago but finally got around to starting to check it out. I’ve decided to look into booking a safari for the 2021 season. A little research online has left me a bit overwhelmed. While I can only assume this will be my first trip of many to Africa as I’m still fairly young (38) I want to get this one right. My work schedule won’t allow for anything over a 14 day hunt at this juncture. My feeling is that if going all the way to Africa, I want to do DG and PG. I have been thinking Cape Buffalo/tuskless or Cape Buffalo/hippo with of course some PG. These seems to be the parameters of a trip I’m comfortable with in terms of time away and cost. The second factor for me is that I want to take my significant other. While she likes the outdoors, she isn’t exactly the “elk camp in the Rockies” type. I want to find the right combination that will be fun for her as well as myself. I’m happy to provide any additional info about what I think I’m looking for if it can help with recommendations. My very cursory searching has made me think that Zimbabwe and Zambia are the best fits for me. Again, I’m excited to learn and hopefully contribute on some small level here. Thank you in advance.

My suggestion is to look for what you want to do. It is your money, enjoy it while you can.

All the posters who want you to do something other than what your are looking at, unless they are paying for your entire safari need to be quiet. While they mean well, it just grinds me when they make such advice, it is not there safari.

I passed on many outfitters and PH who wanted to push, as mentioned, with the old saying you cannot do a DG hunt your first safari, that is entirely BS. I have never considered or looked at those PH's or outfitters again, even when they make great offers and or postings. They lost my business for life and I remember who they are. It has been they're loss, as I have taken more than one safari over the past few years, visited 4 different countries and currently I am looking at either Tanzania, Mozambique or Zambia for my next African adventure. I am thinking that I will have some family members would want to go with me.

Keep looking for what you want, it is doable.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All the posters who want you to do something other than what your are looking at, unless they are paying for your entire safari need to be quiet. While they mean well, it just grinds me when they make such advice, it is not there safari.

Chill out pal. The guy came on here asking for free advice. He got plenty of good advice and it cost him nothing. He can heed it or not.