Notify
Tools

SCI Convention
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jim in Katy
posted
I notice the SCI convention was going to be at
the Las Vegas Convention center this next year and the main hotel was going to be the MGM Grand. I was wondering if one of you knew how far the convention center is from the hotel. Can you walk or do you have to take a ride.

Thanks
Jim

Posts: 38 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
IIRC correctly, you will need a cab

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have ridden in my last cab. I use Uber exclusively now. Cars are cleaner, drivers are more polite and there is no "stink" of a cab.
Half the price and tips are not "demanded".
Long Live Uber!

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
They have the monorail that goes to the convention center.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Buses are not bad either
Walk is my favorite
Vegas is best freak show

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Jim,

To get to the Convention Center from the Strip, you'll need transportation. It would be a long walk from MGM.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would there be any benefit in staying at the MGM instead of another hotel? I think I'll stay at the Luxor again.I like the rates there and the area.I wish it was still at the Mandalay bay.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

The Westgate is a large off strip hotel basically right next door to the Convention Center. If I didn't live here I'd be booking that right now.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The last Convention I used Lift. The Uber drivers recommend them because the drivers make more money than they do using Uber.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The Westgate is the old Las Vegas Hilton, and it's right there next to the convention center.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
The monorail stops at the convention center. You have multiple ways of getting there.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So where will most people attending the convention be staying?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have ridden in my last cab. I use Uber exclusively now. Cars are cleaner, drivers are more polite and there is no "stink" of a cab.
Long Live Uber!

How would you like it if you were a plumber or an electrician or anyone in the construction industry owning a small business and working for themselves and then suddenly there is a single globalist financed construction company taking over the whole construction industry,shutting everyone down and sending you to work as an employee at minimum wage? The new communist economy.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dolt . . . Uber is the ultimate capitalist business . . . ease of entry into the business and ease of exit from the business. Competition at its best as opposed to cities and counties issuing taxi concessions to a handful of companies that undoubtedly have given backhanders in some form for the business.

Mike

Posts: 21667 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between competitive pricing and predator pricing.Predator pricing is meant to kill not compete.Illiminate the competition and form a monopoly.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . please read up on Section 2 of the Clayton Act and the Sherman Act.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between reading and understanding.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

The Westgate is a large off strip hotel basically right next door to the Convention Center. If I didn't live here I'd be booking that right now.

Mark

The Westgate would cost 400 dollars more for a 3 night stay compared to the Luxor.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
There is a difference between competitive pricing and predator pricing.Predator pricing is meant to kill not compete.Illiminate the competition and form a monopoly.

And if Lift and Uber kill the Taxi business and raise their prices, another company comes along and starts up in competition to them and kills them. There is no predatory pricing, the price difference comes from each driver not having to pay a semi-government agency $100,000 for a Taxi badge just to start picking up fares.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah right-half the fair-what a joke.So why should one pay 100 000 and the other not have to? A guy can't have his own taxi or even a coffee shop.The globalists want it all.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So tell the globalists to shove it, stay at the more expensive hotel and avoid those cheaper hotels offering "predatory prices".

animal

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Mike, arguing with the Montreal moron is like trying to teach a pig to dance-it aggrevates you and bores the pig....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI provides busses in abundance from each of the "Convention" hotels to the convention center. It's always a bit of a wait to board coming back in the evening if you stay until the last dog is hung....

Cheers

470EDDY

Posts: 2666 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good thing, Ive was always the last dog! Today I drive if I go, but havn't been exhibiting for the last 3 or 4 years..Those days are over, Im too old and cranky for a week at SCI or the NFR! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Dolt . . . Uber is the ultimate capitalist business . . . ease of entry into the business and ease of exit from the business. Competition at its best as opposed to cities and counties issuing taxi concessions to a handful of companies that undoubtedly have given backhanders in some form for the business.

Dolt. Love that word in this context. Appropriate. Thanks, Mike.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

Just looked at 4 nights at the Westgate compared to 4 nights at Luxor checking in on the 30th of Jan and out 3 rd of Feb thinking that might be a normal stay for the convention. The Westgate is $480 and the Luxor $300. Yes the Westgate is more expensive but nowhere near $400. The proximity to the convention is worth a $180 to me. The monorail that you can pick up right at the hotel connects you to everything and you do not have to deal with Strip traffic. FYI the food at the SLS which is one stop on the monorail away from the Convention Center is incredible.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
George,

Just looked at 4 nights at the Westgate compared to 4 nights at Luxor checking in on the 30th of Jan and out 3 rd of Feb thinking that might be a normal stay for the convention. The Westgate is $480 and the Luxor $300. Yes the Westgate is more expensive but nowhere near $400. The proximity to the convention is worth a $180 to me. The monorail that you can pick up right at the hotel connects you to everything and you do not have to deal with Strip traffic. FYI the food at the SLS which is one stop on the monorail away from the Convention Center is incredible.

Mark

I got the price for the Luxor from expedia.It is 238 CDN dollars and I booked it.The price I got for the Westgate was 600 CDN from expedia and 600-700USD from the Westgate website.I just did a search on expedia and got the Luxor at 280 CDN and the westgate at 590CDN.You can get the Luxor for lower than 280.I don't think you can get the Westgate for lower than 590 CDN.I wish it were always like you say Mark,easy,safe and never expensive Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

Have a great show?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of good deals on great properties
Bellagio..$153!
Wynn....$174
Aria $146!
The Four Seasons $252
Luxor $72 ( not recommended)-George you should rebook!
Caesers palace $199
TONS Of other properties on the strip for $100 or less to like Tresure Island..Monte Carlo etc

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
Bellagio..$153!
Wynn....$174
Aria $146!
The Four Seasons $252
Caesers palace $199
TONS Of other properties on the strip for $100 or less to like Tresure Island..Monte Carlo etc

The Wynn is at three times the price of the Luxor on expedia as of this moment and I have seen it up to five times the cost.With the money I save from staying at the Luxor I can pay for another convention trips' airfare and hotel.Besides I am not so sure that safari hunting folks are welcome at some of these hotels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
Bellagio..$153!
Wynn....$174
Aria $146!
The Four Seasons $252
Caesers palace $199

The Wynn is at three times the price of the Luxor on expedia as of this moment and I have seen it up to five times the cost.With the money I save from staying at the Luxor I can pay for another convention trips' airfare and hotel.Besides I am not so sure that safari hunting folks are welcome at some of these hotels.

Sure..I just thought you said above you booked the Luxor for a much higher price so I wanted you to know I saw it for just $72 (I guess you meant for all the nights vs per night)
Hard to disagree with your logic on saving money on hotels.
Good luck!

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only done one sci show - vegas 2017. Mandalay Bay was a great location.

You had 4 hotel - Mandalay Bay, Luxor, four seasons and Delano tied into one big complex. Meveryone could get anything at their price point.

Now I need to download uber for 2018. I also need it for traveling in panama and Asia.

I am not a big fan of the convention center for sci - its off the strip and it is shot show size.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

If you're looking for cheap and convenient how about Circus Circus? its on the same end of town and a short 5 minute drive from the Convention Center. Also its a short walk to the SLS where you can pick up the monorail tickets.lvmonorail.com, travel two stops and your at the Convention Center. The full stay Checking in 30 Jan and out 4 Feb is $218. I've stayed at Circus Circus and its clean, safe and the Steak House is rated 4.5-5.0 on Open Table.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This group might be bias, is SCI worth attending if I am not certain to book a hunt? More planning and browsing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The value I see for the SCI show to an attendee is that once he has done his research and narrowed down his choices to a few of the outfits that most closely meet his expectations he can actually meet and talk to the those operators face to face. That to me has a lot of value. Going there blindly shopping for a hunt is a recipe for disaster. On the other hand it is just a fun show with about everything hunting related available to look at.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Long Live Uber!

And they always have the AC on; PHX cab drivers that pick up at the airport all seem to be Somalians who have a gallon jug of water in the front seat and drive with the windows open.

Like you, I have taken my last cab ride.

On a similar vein, while I predominately stay in hotels, I have used AirBnb for business, particularly when I get in very late and want to sleep late without hearing doors slamming. Last week I had to put up with a guy snoring so loud in the next room I could hear him through the wall.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote