New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI- You have to be kidding me
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee I have never met an outfitter that hasn't at one time or another over sold the hunt. You want it we got it!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
I would be interested to know the name of the agent who tried to sell his business to SCI and the names of those agents who consulted with SCI as they did their research before launching this venture.

Apparently some agents are upset about the competition, yet it looks like SCI would have never considered this without other agents pointing it out and giving the SCI folks another way to make money and/or get free hunts.

Could Blair be involved?

I would too, but I don't put a lot of faith in their claim that it was the sole reason for their new business model when they also try to blame the NRA as the reason they are getting in the business.

I let my membership lapse several years ago. I was all set to re-join because of the great job they are doing on the elephant issue, but this seals it; I will never again be a member.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Cabelas was it?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Joyce and I have been to 3 or 4 SCI conventions but because of clinic constraints we could only attend for 1 1/2 days.

We were looking forward to attending the entire event in 2015 since I am retiring in December.

I will be watching this closely. If the idea of a boycott gains traction then I would have no reason to spend the money on attendance and the trip. Might have to give DSC a shot instead.

For me, at this point, I go to SCI to meet up with outfitters, agents, and friends mostly. If a fair amount of those folks are not going to be there neither will we.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Joyce and I have been to 3 or 4 SCI conventions but because of clinic constraints we could only attend for 1 1/2 days.

We were looking forward to attending the entire event in 2015 since I am retiring in December.

I will be watching this closely. If the idea of a boycott gains traction then I would have no reason to spend the money on attendance and the trip. Might have to give DSC a shot instead.

For me, at this point, I go to SCI to meet up with outfitters, agents, and friends mostly. If a fair amount of those folks are not going to be there neither will we.

DSC is a great show.

I was going to go to Vegas but not anymore. vegas is much more expensive than dallas and I would have to join sci which I will never do.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be more surprised if I haven't seen this type of occurrence in my own industry, health care groups that you work with in a managed care setting that you have done business with goes into direct competition with the people they are supposed to represent. The loss is not just us the health care providers but the patients loose the most.

It is hard decision to make but voting with your pocket book does get attention. I vote no to SCI and will continue to work with the independent booking agents that I like and trust.

I think SCI has become so greedy they can not see past their own ego and self importance. Adios SCI

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is how this vote was taken, at least based upon what i was told.

A budget document well over 100 pages long was e mailed shortly before the meeting. There was a short blurb on SCI Outdoors over 100 pages into the document. The blurb said nothing to indicate the reality of what was proposed. There was zero discussion .

This is how a 147-0 vote was accomplished.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

A budget document well over 100 pages long was e mailed shortly before the meeting. There was a short blurb on SCI Outdoors over 100 pages into the document. The blurb said nothing to indicate the reality of what was proposed. There was zero discussion .

I would say it's worthwhile to find out the author(s) of that 100 page document. There in lies the source of this ill conceived idea.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've given this a little more thought and I think it may actually be a great deal for hunters. Kind of like how Amazon and Apple are good for consumers but horrible for writers, musicians, and all their associated support organizations. SCI likes to throw their weight around and this booking operation will give them an even better venue to operate is such a manner.

The best dates with the best outfitters (whether in Africa, Alaska, Mongolia or wherever) are always in short supply. SCI will gobble-up those dates post haste. The outfitters will cooperate because it (along with a hunt donation) will guarantee their position in the convention placement hierarchy. The second-rate outfitters will grovel at the feet of SCI so as to break into the "preferred vendor" group. This means even more free trips for the SCI honchos.

SCI doesn't need to "have a booth" at the convention. The ENTIRE CONVENTION is their BOOTH! All their preferred-vendor outfitters will be directing their erstwhile customers to SCI because SCI already has the best dates locked up and the outfitters have to tow the line to stay on the preferred vendor list. Remember, there's a bunch of groveling outfitters just chomping at the bit to take their place.

It's also a plus that SCI is getting into the travel business as well. It would be nice that the travelling hunter has an "integrated solution" from one provider so they don't have to deal with the Susans, and Shawns and Kathis of the world.

Having a world-class agent with the most comprehensive offering from the best outfitters is a real benefit for hunters. We'll have someone looking out for us every step of the way...from getting a tag to booking a hunt and booking a flight. Who really wants to piecemeal all the details themselves. Best of all we won't have to deal with all the schmucks and clowns posting here who call themselves agents. Perhaps they can turn their client lists over to SCI and then maybe get jobs sweeping floors at the convention.

All hail to the new hunting paradigm.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have the documents this week.
I will post them.

I hear they the headquarter is a total zoo right now. Lots of drama.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best of all we won't have to deal with all the schmucks and clowns posting here who call themselves agents.

coffee

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I've given this a little more thought and I think it may actually be a great deal for hunters. Kind of like how Amazon and Apple are good for consumers but horrible for writers, musicians, and all their associated support organizations. SCI likes to throw their weight around and this booking operation will give them an even better venue to operate is such a manner.

The best dates with the best outfitters (whether in Africa, Alaska, Mongolia or wherever) are always in short supply. SCI will gobble-up those dates post haste. The outfitters will cooperate because it (along with a hunt donation) will guarantee their position in the convention placement hierarchy. The second-rate outfitters will grovel at the feet of SCI so as to break into the "preferred vendor" group. This means even more free trips for the SCI honchos.

SCI doesn't need to "have a booth" at the convention. The ENTIRE CONVENTION is their BOOTH! All their preferred-vendor outfitters will be directing their erstwhile customers to SCI because SCI already has the best dates locked up and the outfitters have to tow the line to stay on the preferred vendor list. Remember, there's a bunch of groveling outfitters just chomping at the bit to take their place.

It's also a plus that SCI is getting into the travel business as well. It would be nice that the travelling hunter has an "integrated solution" from one provider so they don't have to deal with the Susans, and Shawns and Kathis of the world.

Having a world-class agent with the most comprehensive offering from the best outfitters is a real benefit for hunters. We'll have someone looking out for us every step of the way...from getting a tag to booking a hunt and booking a flight. Who really wants to piecemeal all the details themselves. Best of all we won't have to deal with all the schmucks and clowns posting here who call themselves agents. Perhaps they can turn their client lists over to SCI and then maybe get jobs sweeping floors at the convention.

So, from soup to nuts, SCI has it covered. From the booking process all the way through taxidermy services, we have got it covered.

Oh, the taxidermy part will be discussed later. Guess whom will be the SCI endorsed taxidermist??? any guesses?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wish costco was is the hunting booking business Cool

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

So, from soup to nuts, SCI has it covered. From the booking process all the way through taxidermy services, we have got it covered.

Oh, the taxidermy part will be discussed later. Guess whom will be the SCI endorsed taxidermist??? any guesses?

coffee

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry,

I understand SCI has been in discussion with SOME outfitters regarding this for quite some time.

Regarding all the drama at SCI headquarters reported above.

Is there really any surprises there?

Isn't what we have running the show there nothing but a bunch of drama queens?

They claim to do so much for us as hunters, and when asked what, all we hear is utter silence?

In fact, I would go as far as thinking that a lot of what SCI has been screaming so loudly about lately has been nothing but negative towards us.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look and listen to Larry Shores, he has the right/correct info as it pertains to this issue.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and gentlemen, an Executive Committee meeting is coming soon. I am going to post details as soon as I get home. I am traveling in business and will get home late tomorrow .

Please write to SCI and bombard the Executive Committee with letter opposing this insanity .

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have heard the same thing from someone at the meeting. They do not recall any specific discussion of SCI Outdoors or the details around SCI Outdoors. The feeling is that the implication in the letter that the group was unanimously supportive of SCI Outdoors is a gross overstatement.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I went to SCI's website and I saw no easy way to "bombard the executive committee" with emails. Anyone with better IT skills wish to post up the email links needed?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
One thought is to contact your local chapter president. They know how to reach Kaufman and company.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

I have heard the same thing from someone at the meeting. They do not recall any specific discussion of SCI Outdoors or the details around SCI Outdoors. The feeling is that the implication in the letter that the group was unanimously supportive of SCI Outdoors is a gross overstatement.

I sit on a number of board meetings.

And I have noticed this sort of thing creeping up lately - things not being on the agenda to be discussed are brought up at the last minute.

I have refused to even discuss them, saying if they were NOT included on the agenda, and full details have not been given to members of the board at least a week before, we do not discuss them.

Also, I am very surprised that we have just heard this now.

As I understand it SCI has been discussing this for quite sometime with some outfitters.

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

Forrest, I hope that the Tooth Fairy leaves you a nice, shiny Kennedy $0.50 piece tonight. hilbily And don't forget to leave some cookies and milk for Santa.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
I went to SCI's website and I saw no easy way to "bombard the executive committee" with emails. Anyone with better IT skills wish to post up the email links needed?

I have them. I will post them once I have something other than an I phone.

One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Im going to have to burn the midnight oil on this one, darn the time zones are a burden at times.

I put an email out to NZ PHGA to gather feedback from our 70 plus members and will need 48hrs before I can glean enough info to forward an opinion from Guides/outfitters here in New Zealand.

Gentleman please make 100% certain we are dealing with facts on this issue. opinions will have to wait.

Can or does anybody know who ,how and with what SCI conducts its "research" as referred to in Kaufman's reply letter.
Its a tad tempting to jump to conclusions on matters that right now are powered some what by emotion.

I'm fortunate in that I get 2 whacks at this ,my own opinion and that as president of the NZ Guides association.
lets those who have the facts and the ability set this up to circulate far and wide.
AR is just one vehicle to drive this with,there are many many more.

Facts only.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The EC e-mail addresses are: (These are the existing 2014 members, as well as the 2015 members, who will assume responsibility July 1)

Craig Kauffman: kauffmansci@gmail.com
Larry Higgins: lbhrpwt@gmail.com
Bruce Eavenson: scibwe@gmail.com
Paul Babaz: paul.d.babaz@ms.com
Mike Borel: mike.borel@contextnet.com
Eddie Grasser: eddie@aksafariclub.org
Don Harter: harter65@gmail.com
Joe Hosmer: joe.hosmer@gmail.com
Sherry Maddox: explorer111749@aol.com
Alan Maki: oldgunsltdi@aol.com
John McLaurin: 1elkhtr1@outdrs.net
Sandra Sadler: twodotranch@hotmail.com
Laird Hamberlin: lhamberlin@aol.com
Richard Parsons: rmparsons777@gmail.com
Veronica Kosich: veronicakosichesq@verizon.net
Kirt Fredericks: kirt.fredericks@wellsfargoadvisors.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
The EC e-mail addresses are: (These are the existing 2014 members, as well as the 2015 members, who will assume responsibility July 1)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any idea what their jobs are at SCI?

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I believe EC means Executive Council.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

Steve is not wrong here.

Hunt with your SCI sanctioned gun using SCI sanctioned Ammo, with your SCI endorsed PH and of course you flew with SCI's travel agency....

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Any idea what their jobs are at SCI?

Saeed:

These are members of the Executive Committee. They are not employees of SCI.

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Wonder how many people have actually contacted SCI about this thus far

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that more outfitters have not been on the thread complaining of sci setting up a booking agency. Booking agents rightful have complained.

Tells me that sci may be irrelevant to conservation, hunters rights ect but it is very relevant to connecting hunters to outfitters via their services.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Gee I have never met an outfitter that hasn't at one time or another over sold the hunt. You want it we got it!

What you are taling about it. Please post a Name.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mboga biga bwana, I will do you one better name me one that has never over sold a hunt in their life time.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
mboga biga bwana, I will do you one better name me one that has never over sold a hunt in their life time.

CMS

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

The two people I have always hunted with.

Roy Vincent and now his son Alan.

They don't need to, they have plenty of repeat clients.

People with CLASS!

Something the higher ups in this irrelevant organization don't understand the meaning of!

Just imagine an organization so far removed from reality.

They blackmail their best customers.

As if that was not enough.

They set up a commercial operation to compete with those same clients to sell hunts.

Can anyone with ANY brains ever imagine to come up with this?

The minute SCI members get rid of those who only care about glorifying each other's so called "trophies", and silly "circles" which are full of canned animals, the better we will all be as hunters.

As some of my friends have mentioned. Imagine the good they can do for us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI can sure pick them ! That asshole Kirk Kelso has already been run out of Mexico if my info is correct... SCI is notorious for covering up scandals amongst the hierarchy or the "in crowd.
They just keep sweeping more dirt under the rug !
I have spoken with a number of exhibitors who are fed up with SCI and their "system" of assigning booth location at the convention and who have now moved to Dallas. This latest "movida" will result in more of the same. See you in Dallas...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess, and it is strictly an educated guess,is that Kirk Kelso was the outfitter heavily involved in this mess. He got the position running this thing for SCI, so in my mind he had the most to gain. Still, SCI clearly had the final say on the matter so the majority of the blame is theirs.
As to the MEGA AGENCY's discussed aboveI have to say this. Without doubt, some of the best in the business represent a fairly wide variety of hunts, for a wide variety of game,in different countries and on different continents. Take Aaron for instance, and other multi outfitter agents. The good ones really know their business, the game, personnel, best seasons, the PH's or guides, gear, permits,and the list goes on and on. It is a very difficult job, carries a ton of responsibility if done ethically, and you must truly become an expert in a lot of areas to be successful at it. Thankfully our industry has a good number of exactly that kind of agents. But the BAD ones, the " Everything For Everybody Every Time"outfits tend to be the problem where both outfitters and clients end up unhappy. As you know, my outfit books exclusively in Africa, but every year we deal with gun shy clients who were misled, uninformed, ill prepared and so forth by a BIG BOX outfit. Cabella's comes up again and again in this conversation. I know they have some experienced agents there, no doubt, but from the feedback I hear year after year, there are some inexperienced ones there as well selling hunts that they are not up to speed on. This SCI deal would have so many layers of corruption associated with it it would take me hours to highlight the problematic nature of the future of SCI OUTDOORS if it were to see the light of day. Hope those who came up with the ill fated idea get the full brunt of the paddle. And I truly believe the active professional members of AR raised a voice that was a part of the solution. As politics proves again and again, a vocal minority usually wins over a silent majority.
Just my thoughts...

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chifuti has never oversold.No quality outfitter or booking agent does.To lump all agents in one box is as insulting as it is foolish.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

As some of my friends have mentioned. Imagine the good they can do for us.

Right you are Saeed. If they don't get the message this time, I am afraid they never will.