New
Find
Notify
Tools

Follow up on Leopard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the general opinion on the best to take on a follow up after a leopard is shot

1. 12 guage double
2. 12 guage pump
3. Can of pepper spray
4. Cindy Garrison panties
5. Push Jeff Blair in front of you

Bored at work and starting shit stir

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I would spray Jeffs eyes with pepper spray, put cindys panties in his mouth so he would stop screaming and fire of the double loaded with salt in his ass before pushing him in front of me. After that I would take the pump and empty it at Mr spots.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
its slow in Sweden also

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
I would spray Jeffs eyes with pepper spray, put cindys panties in his mouth so he would stop screaming and fire of the double loaded with salt in his ass before pushing him in front of me. After that I would take the pump and empty it at Mr spots.

Anton Sounds like you thought about this before?? Wink

Posts: 759 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
you forgot Mark Sullivan to ask spots how he wants to die! stir horse

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
My friend Mr. Labat says, "Shotguns are for birds."

We've not discussed it, but I think I know what his response would be as to Ms. Garrison, sans panties.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
10Ga Pump.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:
What is the general opinion on the best to take on a follow up after a leopard is shot

1. 12 guage double
2. 12 guage pump
3. Can of pepper spray

I had to add a couple more choices:

6. A band aid and a get well card
7. A Marlin 45-70 Guide Model DG Rifle
8. Wendell Reich's wallet

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

He's absolutely right! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all due respect to my friends Mr Parks & Mr Labat, I can recall being on a island in the middle of the Save river chasing a wounded leopard in the dark and saying to Collen van der Linden, " I would write a $100,000 check right now for my Benelli Super Black Eagle and a box of 3.5 inch magnum 00 Buck." I was serious. Collen was carrying a Browning BPS.

We would have had zero chance with a rifle.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
With all due respect to my friends Mr Parks & Mr Labat, I can recall being on a island in the middle of the Save river chasing a wounded leopard in the dark and saying to Collen van der Linden, " I would write a $100,000 check right now for my Benelli Super Black Eagle and a box of 3.5 inch magnum 00 Buck." I was serious. Collen was carrying a Browning BPS.

So what happened?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be serious or anything, but would a pump provide much advantage over a double? I'm wondering what the chances of getting off more than two are.

And personal preference for killing anything with a shotgun goes to #1 Buck.

Or Wendell's wallet. By the time Spots climbed over that it would be too tuckered to fight...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10309 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of guys knock the shotgun but it should be as good as any big bore. Don't give me this nonsense that buckshot doesn't penetrate a leopard sized animal.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Mr Labat is obviously an authority in Southern & East Africa.

I would suggest that a 12 gauge with LG or SG shot is ideal in thick cover / jungle situation.

I would guess that more leopards were shot in India with a shotgun than a rifle.

As Larryshores said, close quarters, low light and thick cover requires a shotgun.

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

He's absolutely right! tu2

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11188 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to Cindy Garrison??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

1. 12 guage double
2. 12 guage pump
3. Can of pepper spray

I had to add a couple more choices:

6. A band aid and a get well card
7. A Marlin 45-70 Guide Model DG Rifle
8. Wendell Reich's wallet

If my wife found #4 in #8, I would rather face a Leopard charge with #6 than face her!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first hunt in Africa, was with a PH by the name of Gerard Ambrose, Robin Hurt Safaris.. Born, and raised in Tanz. Had a client that shot and wounded a leopard, long story short, he followed up in the truck,(early in the season ..tall grass)broad day light..Leopard was spotted in the Long Grass, Gerard in the back of truck, with a 12 Ga. double "00" Buck. Leopard came as soon as they stopped the truck, tried to jump in the back, Gerard shot him at 2 feet, knocked him down, he then jumped back this time into the truck, and chewed on Gerard, and his gun, until the gun was tore up, and so was Gerard... He told me this, and I couldn't believe it...he said the buckshot never got below the skin! Hurt him badly, after this I never considered following up with a shotgun...
Neither did he... and he is a Great PH, to this day... Butch

Posts: 563 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wendell: rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:

But what would you and Collen have done with Ms. Garrison, minus her panties?

Seriously, when I typed up my reply I thought about your close quarters experience in 2011 where a rifle was useless and a shotgun was the tool for the job.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
On a bit more serious note, what is best for one situation might not be best for another. But with regard to shotguns, I'd take a great quality Beretta autoloader like an extrema in 3", shooting HeviShot buckshot over a pump or double anyday. My old Beretta is like an extension of my arm after more than 30 years shooting it, and it has almost never failed to function perfectly (NEVER when it was even kinda sorta clean!).

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

But what would you and Collen have done with Ms. Garrison, minus her panties?

Seriously, when I typed up my reply I thought about your close quarters experience in 2011 where a rifle was useless and a shotgun was the tool for the job.

At one time the leopard was less than 6 feet away and we could not see it. The buckshot worked great.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If ever in that unenviable position, I would want a big bore double rifle, or Jeff Blair in front of me, in that order. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
How about Jeff Blair in front of you AND a big bore double!!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I'm serious on this. Who is Cindy Garrison? Some pics and a bio please. Her name has come up at times and I'm out of the loop. Too much time snowed in in my Alaska cabin.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Cal, she is a good looking huntress blond hair and good shot with a bolt trash and her double 470. Was the host for ESPN outdoor program "Get Wild, with Cindy Garrison"

http://www.outdoorlife.com/vid...dy-garrison-gets-fit

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post

note the blood in the neck, upper chest area. this guy was shot with SSG from a 12g Ruger O/U at a full(unwounded) charge at 10 feet off the muzzle after he had launched himself airborne. the first shot was taken as he charged through seriously thick blackthorn in the Kalahari at about 15 yards( no effect). by the time i got the gun down out of recoil, he had cleared the brush about 5 yards away and was launching himself. folded up at my feet. please don't tell me that buckshot won't penetrate a leopard. he's dead- i'm not.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm no authority but I agree with Larry. When I was in a blind in the Mulobezi area of Zambia in the dark with John Knowles, our PH, he had a short barrel 10 gauge Mossberg – I think semi-auto.

At the time, John said he was one of only two PHs he knew that had never been tagged by a leopard.

Unfortunately for me, and to the extreme distress of John, who understood the risk far better than me, the leopard approached from BEHIND our blind, rather than to tree with the bait. We figured it was almost in touching distance because we could hear its breathing.

I had my .375 H&H hung from string, pointed at the bait in a tree outlined against the setting sun. John's sawed-off would have been just the ticket had it been needed in that small blind. After a while, it just went away. The next client managed to get it.

At least I have an interesting memory from it. John said it could hear our wristwatches ticking.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Larry, I agree with you 100%. The only shotgun I would use, if I had, would be a Super Black Eagle with 3.5" mags. Personally I would not use a pump as a couple of times while shooting doves I " short stroked " and thought to myself, luckily it wasn't a leopard!

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Personally, I prefer my rifle but of course it's all a matter of individual choice.

The other thing that makes an immense difference is the use of a Surefire Kroma. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The following is an e mail I sent my friends after the incident. I previously posted it.
-----------------------------------------------

Greetings from Zimbabwe.

Most, but not all of you are my friends that hunt. We have been back about an hour from my leopard hunt. It is 315 in the morning. I am quite confident that I will not sleep at all. Accordingly, I decided to tell you all about my leopard hunt.

Two days ago, just before dark, I whacked a massive old giraffe bull. I shot him for bait. The recovery was done the next day. While we were doing recovery, one of the game scouts told us about the track of a large leopard they were seeing on an island in the Save river. Hmmmm......

Well, we decided to take a look. This required us to wade across the Save river to get to the island. Did I mention the Save is full of crocodiles? Well it is. I was not happy about crossing the river but I did it. The vegetation is thick. REAL thick!

Two days later, while we are elephant hunting, we get a radio call. Two of our baits have been hit, including the one on the island. Off we go to have a look.
Collen comes back and says the track is the largest track he has ever seen. Good! We make a plan. We crossed the river even though we saw two crocs on the bank right by us. We build a hide in a good location. We enter the hide and proceed to wait.

Around 5 pm, I hear the leopard jump onto the bait tree. I look up and I see him. He moves in an odd way. He is big. Big head. Very long. Looks heavy.

I get ready to shoot. Off goes the safety. I put the cross hairs behind the shoulder. Then I think, no, he will run off a few yards and die. Given this thick vegetation, I do not want to do this. I move the cross hairs to the point of the shoulder. Boom! Down he falls like a sack of potatoes. I think he is finished and dead on the spot. So did Collen. So did Murray (camerman). Then we hear the leopard grunt. Strange. Very strange indeed.

We get out to have a look. We find the tracks. We find blood. We follow about 50 yards. I am concerned. I opine that we should go back to the camp and get shotguns, then come back. Also review the footage on Murray's computer. Off we go.

Collen has a shotgun. We decide that I will use the game scout's shotgun. It is a total piece of shit. The action will not lock. I decide to use it anyway. We review the footage. It looks like I did in fact hit the point of the shoulder. Unfortunately, the footage also reveals that the leopard was quartering slightly when I shot. Off we go back to the river. The trackers bring our rifles.

We discuss the situation. All 3 of us think the leopard is dead. We go to the last place we had seen sign. It is now 8 pm or 3 hours after the leopard was shot. The fun begins.

We tracked the leopard. It was an amazing masterful tracking job, no thanks to me. This stuff was insanely thick. We were often on our knees. The guns could only be pointed straight ahead. We could hear several lions calling and numerous elephants trumpeting and feeding close by. This is the real Africa. I was nervous. This was dangerous. Incredibly dangerous. I do not want anyone to get hurt.

After a long time, we get to a place near the river. The consensus opinion is that the leopard will make it's final stand there. Long story why. This place is largely insanely thick reed beds. We have a pow wow. It is decided that Murray will take the game scout's gun. I will use my 416 as it is less than certain if the game scout's gun will even fire. We proceed further cautiously.

At one point we round a corner. We hear something. The bushes shake. No one shoots. Damn!!! We see some sign. The leopard is dragging a left leg. Hmmm... We move forward. Murray and Collen think they see something. Boom Boom, they shoot. Unfortunately, they shot a stump. Nerves are frayed. We continue.

After 50 or so yards, the leopard takes off. We can't even see him and he was LESS THAN 2 yards from Murray and Gabriel ( tracker). Collen shoots. Murray's gun misfired! Apparently no damage is done. I happened to be looking behind us as leopards are notorious for attacking from behind. Damn, this is nerve racking. The pucker factor is high. REAL high.

We continue. After another 50 yards or so, I think I see the leopard. As I am telling them and raising my gun, the leopard tries to run. Murray has another misfire. Collen shoots. Someone, in their haste to not get hurt, lunges into me. I cannot shoot.

We look intently into the thick reeds. I see him! Is he dead or alive? Not sure but he appears dead. He was in fact dead. It was now about 12:15! Over 4 hours since we started tracking in the dark with flash lights. We are ecstatic.
The relief was unbelievable.

We pull him out. He is magnificent. Then, we notice something very odd. The leopard is MISSING his right front foot! He has apparently been caught in a gin trap or a snare. His front left foot is damaged. Probably a snare. He has a massive head and is over 7' 6"! Damn big leopard.

My shot was precisely where I aimed. There is a big exit hole right in the center of the chest. The slight quartering angle apparently caused my shot to miss the vitals. Had I shot behind the shoulder as I started to, this would have been a short story.

We carry him back. I carried him on my shoulders across the river.

It was an amazing hunt. There was incredible tracking. This is one of the two most dangerous things I have ever done while hunting. I am glad it is over.
Collen, his trackers and the game scouts are the real deal. Serious, no bull shit, skilled big game hunters. We are lucky no one was killed or hurt.

By the way, this magnificent creature was in serious decline. He could not hunt with his foot situation. He was in real serious decline.

Was I scared? Hell yes!!! Was I terrified? No! I was proud of myself. I was able to maintain my composure with out doing anything stupid or dangerous.

Finally, a lot of people say shotguns will not work on a leopard. I can tell you from personal experience that these people are full of shit.

-----------------------------------------------

Let me add 2 other comments about this as follows:

1- The leopard was missing his front right foot. He was not standing normally on the limb. He has his left front leg a bit in front of him with the left foot on a separate limb on his right side. This is what caused the angle issue.

2- Not all buckshot is created equally.

3- While buckshot was clearly the best in this circumstance, it would not be so at say 30 yards.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
There is a reason hunters almost always carry shotguns on the tracking hunts in Botswana. They work and are a bit forgiving ... To a certain extent.

If a ph, or hunter, for that matter, wants to use a rifle, and is more comfortable with a rifle, then that is the best choice for him.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Steve,

How does a Surefire Chroma help?

I have given up using Surefire torches.

They are very expensive, and I found they kill the batteries even when not in use!!?

There are a lot of other manufacturers that make very powerful torches at a much lower price.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Saeed

I agree they're a helluva price but the magic blue light function on the Kroma shows up every little drop of blood and makes it shine back at you.

When the time comes to step out of that blind and into the darkness to look for a very pissed off pussy cat, the cost pales into insignificance and you're suddenly VERY glad to have it. tu2

I always have the tracker carry it on night follow ups and it's an immense help....... mind you, I also tell him that if he loses it or breaks it, I'm gonna make sure he's the next leopard bait! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have to agree with saeed -i quit using surefire - seemed whenever i needed it either the batteries or bulb was dead. switched to streamlight and have had no problems since

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I think the real issue with leopard follow up is the distance at which you will shoot. Close up, the scatter gun is deadly. However, if the cat breaks and runs at 50, 60, 70 yards, then the rifle is more effective.

I've heard mention of using a 3.5" SBE with two slugs for the first two shots and as much buckshot as you can cram in for the remaining capacity.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FN FAL

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 grain softs from a double.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Whatever Jim Corbett used when following up maneating leopards, plus a huge set of brass ones that could only be 1/100th the size of his ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holzer375:
FN FAL

yuck animal

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard someone say if you can go skleet shooting with a rifle and hit the target,all the power to you to use a rifle to follow up a leopard,if not use a shot gun.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote