quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by kibokolambogo:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Not all of us, myself especially, can shoot like Saeed (rumor has it, he's an Olympic class rifle shot). Of course shot placement is paramount,...

What some overlook is that a world champion shooter becomes world champion by missing one shot fewer than the second best shooter in the world.

No one is ever going to be perfect, and a stopping rifle is for that inevitable moment, when a brain or other CNS shot is either unavalible or when the hunter misses it.

Even the greats missed. I was rereading Ron Thomson's book (Ron Thomson = ~4,000 elephants)and he mentions, with favor, killing 23 elephants with 34 rounds of ammunition. That works out to 67.6% success with his brain shots - and in the episode he relates, after dropping a bull with his last round, he needed to kill it with a knife before it awoke from being knocked out.

JPK

I would take the closing sentence with a pinch of salt.

Don't laugh, he wasn't using a knife we normally use.

He use a STOPPING knife to finish off that elephant clap

Saeed

Please be more specific!
I take it you are referring to the serrated blade model? Big Grin

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I ONCE tride to have this same discussion on the Alaska Outdoor Forum. The concensus was the .30-06 and .45-70 were God's gift for everything, what works for African game has no bearing on Alaskan game, and unless you've shot a pile of brown bears or lived in Alaska your whole life your oppinion doesn't count. Roll Eyes I left the discussion. thumbdown

Brett
. You should do a search on the Alasks Forum ,under the title , Brown Bears arn,t Elephants , by yours truly....

I started on these forums with a bang ..... My 2 cents worth is that ,diameter ,speed and expanded diameter and depth of penetration all have LOTS to do with dumping an animal with a body shot ,chest shot ...... With the new 385 gr Barnes TSX bullets in 50 cal ,,someone should try them @ 2800=3000 fps from a 500 A-Sq. ect , see what the effect is on chest shots on Cape Buffalo ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Dave,

I watched your DVD just the other day. In several cases elephants were knocked down but weren't killed with the frontal brain shot. It was the follow up shot or shots that killed the elephant. What can happen is that the animal is knocked down wwith the first shot, a follow up shot is given and the PH congratulates the client on a great frontal shot. The client never notices that the tell tale leg kick doesn't start until after the follow up shot. Craig and I have had this discussion by e-mail and we both wonder why I have had so much better success with frontal shots then he has. Out of quite a few killed with frontal or side brain shots I have had only one turn and run off. That one was hit about 3" too high to find the brain. We did recover it though. I have personally taken or seen others take elephants that were knocked down, knocked out or killed in 13 out of 14 cvases using brain shots. It has been my experience that they are quite easy to knock down or down and out with frontal shots. In two cases, a charging cow was stopped by either a 450/400 or 375H&H. Both were about 6 yards away when stopped. I still don't know why your and Craig's experience is so much different than mine.

465H&H

465,s last sentence here is the crux of the whole matter !!!!!!!!

It,s not luck ,,, It,s not skill . A well aimed shot is just that regardless of the shooter ... It was an amazeing revelation when Doctari discovered that buffalo died alot faster when shot in the heart when it was full of blood ... Perhaps there is something that we don,t understand yet about elephants heads or bears , lions ,buffalo's chests ...... . I think it has something to do with nerves ..But I don,t have any idea where the nerves run or which ones do what ...
Then there is the bullet integrity issue .. Mac,s elephant that just looked at him after he shot it , did he dissect the skull to see what happened to the bullet .. Is he sure the bullet was going it,s spec velocity , It was quite a discovery that post WWII.600 Nitro ammo loaded by Kynoch had some if not all poorly constructed bullets .or was it off by a thousand fps. .. There are so many variables

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then there is the bullet integrity issue .. Mac,s elephant that just looked at him after he shot it , did he dissect the skull to see what happened to the bullet .. Is he sure the bullet was going it,s spec velocity , It was quite a discovery that post WWII.600 Nitro ammo loaded by Kynoch had some if not all poorly constructed bullets .or was it off by a thousand fps. .. There are so many variables

Gumboot-how true!

Stopping Rifle????? I don't understand? The rifle is nothing but a platform in which to launch bullets, that are fired by cartridges.

BULLETS DO THE STOPPING!!!!!!!!

Inappropriate bullets can be had in EVERY so called "stopping caliber". As well as appropriate bullets for the job at hand.

The title should be "STOPPING BULLETS" and one must define "WHAT WE ARE GOING TO STOP" Thin Skinned Dangerous Game? Thick Skinned Dangerous Game? What is good for one may or may not be good for the other?

If we are talking rifles then one must think of such things as how a rifle handles, can I carry this all day, weight, length, is it fast on target, does it come up well, things like that. I suppose one might throw ones rifle at some sort of creature, in an attempt to stop it from doing what have you. But the bottom line is that the BULLET DOES THE STOPPING and WHAT ARE WE TRYING TO STOP?
Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
In bringing up Mac's post , I am in no way suggesting Mac didn,t do his due diligence .. Just that stuff happens .. If he had a 800 gr flat nose copper grooved bullet with a .045" dia flat nose freshly loaded for 2150 fps with the right twist and the rifle regulated for it ,anf he hit the elephant in the same spot would the results have been the same ???????????????????????????????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mortician:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Not all of us, myself especially, can shoot like Saeed (rumor has it, he's an Olympic class rifle shot). Of course shot placement is paramount,...

What some overlook is that a world champion shooter becomes world champion by missing one shot fewer than the second best shooter in the world.

No one is ever going to be perfect, and a stopping rifle is for that inevitable moment, when a brain or other CNS shot is either unavalible or when the hunter misses it.

Even the greats missed. I was rereading Ron Thomson's book (Ron Thomson = ~4,000 elephants)and he mentions, with favor, killing 23 elephants with 34 rounds of ammunition. That works out to 67.6% success with his brain shots - and in the episode he relates, after dropping a bull with his last round, he needed to kill it with a knife before it awoke from being knocked out.

JPK

Kibokolambogo,

Which portion, and why? Have you read Ron Thomson's book? (Mahahoboh is the book in which this incident is described.)

If you haven't read it, you ought to, good read. And he descibes killing the bull with an axe and a knife for fear of encountering the wrath of Bruce Austin, his boss and Wankie (Hwange) region Ranger in Charge.

JPK

Why would he encounter the wrath of Austin if he had done otherwise? Confused

Thomson's brain shot with his last round of ammo dropped the bull but did not kill it, it still had eye reaction to the touch. If he had not killed it in some way it would have revived and escaped. Loosing a wounded elephant was apparently a mortal sin in Bruce Austen's eyes.

JPK

Gotcha.

"I never allow myself to run out of ammunition".......... Pondoro Taylor.

Posts: 61 | Location: Great White North | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mortician:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

JPK

Kibokolambogo,

Which portion, and why? Have you read Ron Thomson's book? (Mahahoboh is the book in which this incident is described.)

If you haven't read it, you ought to, good read. And he descibes killing the bull with an axe and a knife for fear of encountering the wrath of Bruce Austin, his boss and Wankie (Hwange) region Ranger in Charge.

JPK

Why would he encounter the wrath of Austin if he had done otherwise? Confused

Thomson's brain shot with his last round of ammo dropped the bull but did not kill it, it still had eye reaction to the touch. If he had not killed it in some way it would have revived and escaped. Loosing a wounded elephant was apparently a mortal sin in Bruce Austen's eyes.

JPK

Ah !....the Axe was not mentioned in the closing sentence....only the knife.
I could accept that by using the axe (to the back of the skull) he will have eventually reached the brain and killed it.
Thomson can write what he likes but I for one am not going to swallow the knife bit on its own.
Ever tried cutting through elephant hide with a knife?

I have participated in skinning several. I don't find it difficult to cut through the skin with a sharp knife. But keeping the knife sharp can be chore.

The way Thomson tells the story, he used an ax to cut through the meat at the top of the neck ans then slipped a knife between the skull and the ball at the skull/spine junction, cutting the spinal cord. So a knife killed the ele, but an ax got the knife to where it could do the job.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I,m glad we got that worked out .. salute thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
A rare picture of Walter wielding a "Stopping" knife during his youth.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
OK, now I understand the fun of using a 500+ caliber for elephants.

1. Shoot it in the head. This will stun it and cause to drop down.

2. Make sure your axe is read, and start cutting through the thick elephant skin. Be very quick, as the elephant might regain his wits and get up.

3. Use your ELEPEHNAT STOPPING knive to finish it off with it.

See, it is very easy.

Or, you can just bloody well shoot him with a 300 grain 375 caliber straight in the brain and be done with it.

Of course, it si your choice clap jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67042 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your 500 Bullets are manufactured by Michelin or Goodyear that might be a problem ... you aren't suggesting the 375 UAE Express is a better Elephant killer than a 500 whatever are you Saeed ...?? rotflmo

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This discussion has kept us bloodsucking writers in biz for a hundred years. I think Saeed had it right in the 3rd post (go back and read). But that doesn't sell guns, ammo, magazines, or books!!! I believe that 100 years of conventional wisdom establishing ".375 H&H equivalent" as the minimum is correct. Plenty for buffalo, marginal for elephant--but on the right side of margin. My own minimum for elephant is .450/.400 or .404 Jeffery. I love the big bores, but I have now seen the .577, .600, and .700 NE fail on elephant due to lack of penetration. Velocity counts, and I have never seen a .416 Rigby/Remington/Ruger/etc. fail to penetrate. But, as pointed out, it's really the bullet that does the work!
Cheers, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
If your 500 Bullets are manufactured by Michelin or Goodyear that might be a problem ... you aren't suggesting the 375 UAE Express is a better Elephant killer than a 500 whatever are you Saeed ...?? rotflmo

You don't know the half of it my friend.

When one designs his own catridge, then builds his own rifle, makes his own bullets, has his own witch doctor to bless it, then that combination cannot fail.

In fact, it performs like the magic our witch doctor has instilled in it.

Posts: 67042 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's really the bullet that does the work

Sure. Doesn't really matter whether it's a .505" or a .700" if the bullet is well designed and moving over 2200 fps an ele head is a soft target. Of course this is just my opinion as a designer since the only elephants I see are at the zoo. Maybe Wild elephants have steel brain cases. Happy to send you something to toy with if you like. I can handle the bad PR if they don't drop your ele like a Steinway from a bridge.

Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it performs like the magic our witch doctor has instilled in it.

I see your Witch Doctor with the pelvis headgear and raise you one VooDoo Priestess ... Wink

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
it performs like the magic our witch doctor has instilled in it.

I see your Witch Doctor with the pelvis headgear and raise you one VooDoo Priestess ...

XXX

Big Grin

Take him up on it Saeed...........his miserable bullets seem to keep RIP happy and they worked well on my Jig Saw Puzzle, out of the 338 RUM clap

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
This discussion has kept us bloodsucking writers in biz for a hundred years. I think Saeed had it right in the 3rd post (go back and read). But that doesn't sell guns, ammo, magazines, or books!!! I believe that 100 years of conventional wisdom establishing ".375 H&H equivalent" as the minimum is correct. Plenty for buffalo, marginal for elephant--but on the right side of margin. My own minimum for elephant is .450/.400 or .404 Jeffery. I love the big bores, but I have now seen the .577, .600, and .700 NE fail on elephant due to lack of penetration. Velocity counts, and I have never seen a .416 Rigby/Remington/Ruger/etc. fail to penetrate. But, as pointed out, it's really the bullet that does the work!
Cheers, Craig

It seems we keep confusing stopping power and penetration. That a 416 will penetrate further than a 600 is a given. The stopping rifles 450, 577, 600 etc. were developed to stop a charging elephant. It mattered little if there was sufficient penetration to reach the brain on all angles but what was important was stopping the charge. This is analogous to stopping a human predator in self defense. If you kill him in the battle that is well and good but when the prosecutor asks you what your intention was you had better say you wanted to stop him from endangering you or some one else not that you wanted to kill him. That is taught to every police officer in his training. With elephant the most important thing is to stop the charge and the big calibers do this more reliably than the smaller calibers. They are not 100% but the odds are that they will stop it more often than a smaller caliber. This really only applies to the head high frontal shot. On all others the big boys have enough penetration to reach the brain. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the high frontal shot is more common than I would like because an elephant has to raise his head high to see you unless you are right between his front legs. To see the ground when it is walking or feeding from the ground it has to lower his head to see downwards. If your as noisy as I am they almost always hear you and therefore look for you with raised heads. Eeker

I may be wrong here but if you use factory ammo esp. Hornadys or kynoch in your big bore doubles you will probably only be getting around 2,050 fps or less. In my opinion that is sufficient for stopping but not enough velocity for adequate penetration. As mentioned above I have has somewhat better luck on frontal shots than Craig has reported. It may be because I use only hand loaded ammunition and make sure I get at least 2,150 fps from my 500/465 or 470 Nitro. That has insured enough penetration to reach the brain on frontal shots for me. The 500 Nitro has an excellent reputation for both stopping power and penetration even though it only gets around 2,050 fps in factory loads. Why? I believe it is because the 570 grain bullet has a high SD for it's caliber. I have found the same affect using the 550 grain Woodleigh in the Lott. This is one place where just 100 fps diffence in velocity makes a huge difference in performance.

It has also been my experience that when a frontal shot fails to knock and elephant down the bullet went too high. Miss it by 2 to 3" high and it will turn and run off. You had better be quick with the second shot as it turns or you may have a long track in front of you. from what I have seen on videos Craig is a master at that shot.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You don't know the half of it my friend.

When one designs his own catridge, then builds his own rifle, makes his own bullets, has his own witch doctor to bless it, then that combination cannot fail.

In fact, it performs like the magic our witch doctor has instilled in it.

When one has so much invested in a sub par cartridge, one can become fanciful as to its effectiveness. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Cheers, Craig

It seems we keep confusing stopping power and penetration. That a 416 will penetrate further than a 600 is a given. The stopping rifles 450, 577, 600 etc. were developed to stop a charging elephant. It mattered little if there was sufficient penetration to reach the brain on all angles but what was important was stopping the charge. This is analogous to stopping a human predator in self defense. If you kill him in the battle that is well and good but when the prosecutor asks you what your intention was you had better say you wanted to stop him from endangering you or some one else not that you wanted to kill him. That is taught to every police officer in his training. With elephant the most important thing is to stop the charge and the big calibers do this more reliably than the smaller calibers. They are not 100% but the odds are that they will stop it more often than a smaller caliber. This really only applies to the head high frontal shot. On all others the big boys have enough penetration to reach the brain. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the high frontal shot is more common than I would like because an elephant has to raise his head high to see you unless you are right between his front legs. To see the ground when it is walking or feeding from the ground it has to lower his head to see downwards. If your as noisy as I am they almost always hear you and therefore look for you with raised heads. Eeker

I may be wrong here but if you use factory ammo esp. Hornadys or kynoch in your big bore doubles you will probably only be getting around 2,050 fps or less. In my opinion that is sufficient for stopping but not enough velocity for adequate penetration. As mentioned above I have has somewhat better luck on frontal shots than Craig has reported. It may be because I use only hand loaded ammunition and make sure I get at least 2,150 fps from my 500/465 or 470 Nitro. That has insured enough penetration to reach the brain on frontal shots for me. The 500 Nitro has an excellent reputation for both stopping power and penetration even though it only gets around 2,050 fps in factory loads. Why? I believe it is because the 570 grain bullet has a high SD for it's caliber. I have found the same affect using the 550 grain Woodleigh in the Lott. This is one place where just 100 fps diffence in velocity makes a huge difference in performance.

It has also been my experience that when a frontal shot fails to knock and elephant down the bullet went too high. Miss it by 2 to 3" high and it will turn and run off. You had better be quick with the second shot as it turns or you may have a long track in front of you. from what I have seen on videos Craig is a master at that shot.

465H&H

I have taught you well. Smiler

Just because most can use a 375 H&H doesn't mean it is a stopper or anything close to it. 400 grains and 5000 ft-lbs is what 100+ years has taught us.

While a 458 WM 500 gr. solid of any type with a "close" miss will knock a bull onto his butt, if only temporarily, a baby gun like the 9.3 and its cousins will only set it off in high gear.

That's why I have mostly used a 416 of some variety. 5000 ft-lbs, great penetration, suffer-able recoil in a lightweight rifle, and knockdown/stopping effect.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
quote:
Cheers, Craig

465H&H

Just because most can use a 375 H&H doesn't mean it is a stopper or anything close to it. 400 grains and 5000 ft-lbs is what 100+ years has taught us.

While a 458 WM 500 gr. solid of any type with a "close" miss will knock a bull onto his butt, if only temporarily, a baby gun like the 9.3 and its cousins will only set it off in high gear.

That's why I have mostly used a 416 of some variety. 5000 ft-lbs, great penetration, suffer-able recoil in a lightweight rifle, and knockdown/stopping effect.

I wonder who is teaching whom!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
quote:
Cheers, Craig

465H&H

I wonder who is teaching whom!

465H&H

I figgered that would bring you out of the woods!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A variety of same cal. BB bullets;
Clearly Sd & cal. alone are not reliable methods of determining penetration.
ie; you could get a .458cal that expands/behaves like the far left bullet, and a .375 or .416 that expands/behaves like the far right pill.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything I've read or heard is that (100 + years have taught us) the 500 grain bullet at 2150 - 2300 fps or larger is the standard stopping combination. A 400 grain bullet with 5000 ft/lbs has never been mentioned as a stopper that I've ever heard. Unless the brain or CNS is hit and then you get into the argument that a .375 could do that. Then again so could a .338 or .308 caliber or even less. There seems to be a lot of wiggle in opinions on this subject. If perfect shot placement can not be reliably counted upon as most people on this forum would agree, then why go for something less than the standard stopping combination?

Thanks,

jfm

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
When one has so much invested in a sub par cartridge, one can become fanciful as to its effectiveness.

Nothining fanciful Bill, just personal experience clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry, but it pains my heart to read some of the crap written about brain shots and dead elephants!!

Will, perhaps you should stop reading these posts if it pains your heart. homer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, why is it that you criticize Saeed about his caliber of choice when you know that he has successfully killed elephant and buffalo with it? Maybe you're just kidding and I'm not catching on. Sorry if that is the case.

Thanks,

jfm

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jfm:
Will, why is it that you criticize Saeed about his caliber of choice when you know that he has successfully killed elephant and buffalo with it? Maybe you're just kidding and I'm not catching on. Sorry if that is the case.

Thanks,

jfm

Bill is very upset that he was born a 100 years too late. Just as I wish I was born a bit earlier too.

But, the difference between me and him is that I have accepted the extra 100 years have given me better technology to use for my hunting.

Bill, on the other hand, hasn't.
He still uses 2 barrels to hunt with, when one is perfectly good enough to do the job.

He is just a glutton for punishment, that is what it is clap jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
A variety of same cal. BB bullets;
Clearly Sd & cal. alone are not reliable methods of determining penetration.
ie; you could get a .458cal that expands/behaves like the far left bullet, and a .375 or .416 that expands/behaves like the far right pill.

Trax,

Perhaps you have a point with softs, but elephant are only shot (on purpose) with solids.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Everything I've read or heard is that (100 + years have taught us) the 500 grain bullet at 2150 - 2300 fps or larger is the standard stopping combination. A 400 grain bullet with 5000 ft/lbs has never been mentioned as a stopper that I've ever heard. Unless the brain or CNS is hit and then you get into the argument that a .375 could do that. Then again so could a .338 or .308 caliber or even less. There seems to be a lot of wiggle in opinions on this subject. If perfect shot placement can not be reliably counted upon as most people on this forum would agree, then why go for something less than the standard stopping combination?

Thanks,

jfm

Actually,

.458" and 480grs and a NOMINAL, but rarely acheived in the field - more like 2100fps in the field, which is the 450NE of one variety or another.

The Rigby performance, which Will alludes to, was infrequently tested since original Rigbys were rare.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks,

jfm

Bill is very upset that he was born a 100 years too late. Just as I wish I was born a bit earlier too.

But, the difference between me and him is that I have accepted the extra 100 years have given me better technology to use for my hunting.

Bill, on the other hand, hasn't.
He still uses 2 barrels to hunt with, when one is perfectly good enough to do the job.

He is just a glutton for punishment, that is what it is clap jumping

Physics and elephants haven't changed in 100yrs, though bullets have. Better bullets = better penetration but do not effect stopping power.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks,

jfm

Killing elephants is different than stopping them, Bell proved that killing them with cartridges such as the 6.5mm MS or the 7mm Mauser was possible. Penetration does not equal stopping power. And that is why almost every proffesional ivory hunter had and used hid 450NE class rifle and his larger rifle as well, along with a medium bore for when the terrain and vegatation allowed.

But stoppers traditionally begin at the 450NE's.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
In reading the old elephant hunting books, no one has ever said anything negative about the 450/400.

However, I am going to go out on a limb here, and make a statement, about hunting elephants, by a couple of Modern Sport Hunters, JPK and myself, that get as CLOSE as they can before shooting, and have shot several elephants, with excellent results, using a .458 bore double rifle with 450 gr North Fork FP Solids at @2250fs and 480/500gr RN Solids @2100 to 2150fps. A double of these ballistics will get the job done.

I am not afraid to use a 450/400, and have done so, but I do feel that 450 Nitro ballistics is a bigger hammer.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As many times as I have seen Walter's navel, I never noticed that umbilical hernia before.
And a colostomy bag hanging from the waistband of his grass skirt?
Getting ready to cast a birth control spell on a fair maiden?
She will certainly run screaming from the hut before Walter drops his own grass skirt, let alone hers.
You guys really know how to liven up a party!

I do believe the ultimate stopping rifle will be found to be a 500 Mbogo with .510-caliber/550-grain brass FN solid bullet (SD = .302) at 2600 fps.
A copper Hexploder of same weight and caliber would also do.

I see that I will need the voodoo priestess to joo-joo mine.

XXX

[/QUOTE]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a colostomy bag

Either that or some chicken livers in a Zip-Loc for good luck ...???

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I refuse to believe anything anyone says on this thread. You all are just trying to take the fun out of owning .416s or bigger. shame

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by namibiahunter:
I refuse to believe anything anyone says on this thread. You all are just trying to take the fun out of owning .416s or bigger. shame

Namibiahunter

Not true at all.

I do have rifles in 416, 458, 577, 600 and 700.

If I thought that any of them is better for hunting, I would use it.

We do argue about one type of hunting or another, or one type of rifle or another, and I hope we never stop.

The main thing is to go out and hunt.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
I refuse to believe anything anyone says on this thread.

Good plan!!! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where does the 45/70 with very hard cast lead bullets fit into this discussion? stir beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
Where does the 45/70 with very hard cast lead bullets fit into this discussion? stir beer

Thought you would be clever with the 45/70 comment, eh?
Well, you make the perfect straight man for my 500 Mbogo routine.

The 45/70 "Hammerheads" are eating the dust of the 500 Mbogo with 777-grain "Thorhammer" cast boolits at 1800 fps and <40 Kpsi.

I personally see no need for anything bigger than a "Sporting 500."
However, exercising adequately with the behemoth stunt rifles will make the 500 perform like a magic wand.

A fifty-cal with a bullet similar in velocity and SD to the .375/300-grainer from the H&H has got to be good.
More than enough, still portable and controllable.
Anything bigger is impractical except for work hardening the shooter.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Stopping Rifles.

A .22 LR between the eye and ear.

For elephant, my 450 dakota really rocked a cow when I missed the brain.

Turned her around 180 degrees. Twice.

Me bad.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote