New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angola???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
During the next year or so I will be making several trips to Angola. Be very easy for me to extend my stay for a week or ten days on one of these trips if there was some kind of hunting opportunity there. I know it used to be a great hunting destination but I haven't heard anything recently. Anyone know of an opportunity or a contact?

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If and when it opens it will be in the southeast part of the country around the Luiana Partial Reserve in the old Mucusso/Mavinga Coutada's.

A couple of years ago the Whittall's from Zimbabwe were making inroads but nothing came of it.

I would love to see it happen.

Posts: 1865 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Botswana replacement.
That would be great.
Just like any other business, you don't wanna do business someone else will.
Maybe someone in Angola gov will wake up.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to hunt Angola. If it doesn't open, I may have to satisfy myself with a fishing trip.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
they have probably the largest tarpon in the world..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Angola is seen as one of the most corrupt countries in Africa. I would think it extremely hard to run an outfit there . Not sure how much game is left after the war ? During the 70's to mid 80's numbers plummeted as hundreds of thousands of head of game was butchered.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jan:
Understood and you are correct, but that was 30+ years ago. I also understand that without hunting, poaching will continue, but I still would like to know what is there. And whatever is or is not there, I'd still like to go. As I said, it might be just an expensive fishing trip.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I heard there are discussion that hunting MIGHT re-open in Angola in 2014.

Nothing certain yet.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have lived here, in Luanda, pretty much my whole life. When I hunt I go to Zim/Namibia,etc. There is undoubtedly game left in the SE of Angola, but Angola is still one of the most mined countries in the world, with most of the fighting done in the south.
Now fishing is another story and it is what has kept me here. we have good offshore fishing and inshore fishing, but this too is taking a hammering from all comers.

Just my 0.02c

Posts: 30 | Location: Angola, Africa | Registered: 05 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Angola is still one of the most mined countries in the world

Nothing more exciting than following spore & wondering IF you are going to get blown up!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by threadfin:
Guys,

I have lived here, in Luanda, pretty much my whole life. When I hunt I go to Zim/Namibia,etc. There is undoubtedly game left in the SE of Angola, but Angola is still one of the most mined countries in the world, with most of the fighting done in the south.
Now fishing is another story and it is what has kept me here. we have good offshore fishing and inshore fishing, but this too is taking a hammering from all comers.

I have reliable reports of elephant from Botswana moving to Luiana PR and surronds.
Have you ever been to this area?

Just my 0.02c

Posts: 1865 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
I worked with Whittall few years back on the project

Agrarian Research measured the areas, mapped the mine battle grounds, bifurcated 7 hunting concessions, talked to major south African safari company s like Gary Kelly, Johan and others

the politics were not there at that time

the only funder was Roger and some input from Gram Taylor he first found the deal

the main development group fell apart when it came time for heavy lifting

hope it comes back

while working on it for several months I learned that the kwando river system once opened up would be the next grand safari in all of Africa

if some one will post the pic I will email the map we prepared on the project showing general location and project features send a pm w email

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
I worked with Whittall few years back on the project

Agrarian Research measured the areas, mapped the mine battle grounds, bifurcated 7 hunting concessions, talked to major south African safari company s like Gary Kelly, Johan and others

the politics were not there at that time

the only funder was Roger and some input from Grant Taylor he first found the deal

the main development group fell apart when it came time for heavy lifting

hope it comes back

while working on it for several months I learned that the kwando river system once opened up would be the next grand safari in all of Africa

if some one will post the pic I will email the map we prepared on the project showing general location and project features send a pm w email

Thanks stradling..could someone help post the pic?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwana cecil has no sense of humour.

Most were picked up. Noone has set mines in decades. Of the mines that were not picked up, those that were set and not triggered or picked up are really old.

I still want to go. To quote known communist, Jean-Paul Sartre, "To know what life is worth, you have to risk it once in a while."

Don't agree with much Sartre said, but in that quote he nailed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

Most were picked up. Noone has set mines in decades. Of the mines that were not picked up, those that were set and not triggered or picked up are really old.

I still want to go. To quote known communist, Jean-Paul Sartre, "To know what life is worth, you have to risk it once in a while."

Angola still has an estimated 10-20 million mines in the ground and they don't have a "best before date" on them. There are an estimated 70,000 amputees and the list continues to grow. That my friend is a mine for every member of the population and some spares for visitors. Maybe you should come and join the de miners if you want to know what life is worth. I on the other hand am scared sh1tless at the idea of losing any of my limbs.

Posts: 30 | Location: Angola, Africa | Registered: 05 October 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think being blown up by a past terrorist mine is the last thing I wish to be part of.

I have done some pretty stupid things in my younger days - and am still living to tell the tales.

Those were the carefree days when one had no family to think of and look after.

Going hunting in an area known to have mines will be the last place I wish to go.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by threadfin:
Angola still has an estimated 10-20 million mines

That's staggering! Eeker

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
roots of peace

send them a generous Xmas present

here is the foot print of the project

http://agrarian.org/index.php?...icle&id=45&Itemid=38

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information. Looks like I'll need to make other plans. Might go fishing though.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wanderer:
Thanks for all the information. Looks like I'll need to make other plans. Might go fishing though.

Hop on a plane down south an do a 7-10 day plains game in SA.its a 2 -3 hr flight

Big Grin

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

so 10-20 million mines don't concern you. of course, they are old rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd love to go too.

For the sake of furthering the discussion, what would be the hypothetical scenario for developing a hunting area including clearing mines? UN funded mine sweeping teams or companies? Feral goats? Military surplus metal detectors? I'd think the mines and other bombs would be strategically located so discovering/ retrieving them should be plannable?

Heck, a client hunter is usually third or fourth in line behind the trackers and ph so I'll go. If they make it I will too.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

I'd love to go too.

For the sake of furthering the discussion, what would be the hypothetical scenario for developing a hunting area including clearing mines? UN funded mine sweeping teams or companies? Feral goats? Military surplus metal detectors? I'd think the mines and other bombs would be strategically located so discovering/ retrieving them should be plannable?

Heck, a client hunter is usually third or fourth in line behind the trackers and ph so I'll go. If they make it I will too.

That would depened upon how the mines were laid. Were they surveyed in -I would think not. Were they placed in a pattern or hapazardly put where ever. Were all placed so as to direct soliders into fire zones/protect approach routes or just laid so as to make areas unuseable to general population. So the list goes on.

If you follow some one make sure you step in their footprints and with old munitions it is still no gaurantee.

Think I'll stay out of Angola.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So are the cluster munitions the US dropped in Cambodia and Laos forty five years ago and they're still killing and maiming. Roll Eyes

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

I'd love to go too.

Do we run goats to figure it out?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem of mine removal is cost. Because of this all efforts are being focused around towns, villages, roads, etc = game already poached out! It takes a demining team +/- 1 day to clear an area equivalent to 1/2 a football field! While there are a lot of marked mine fields thousands (or?) were dropped by retreating troops during firefights, to slow down pursuit, so they are basically anywhere there was fighting. The reality is mines will never be cleared out in the wild blue yonder, it doesn't make economic sense. So while there must still be plenty of game in the SE of Angola, it is not on my "to do list"
FWIW.

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Well Danita and Norad have been clearing mines in Angola for 10 years now plenty years to go before they have cleared everywhere.... Wink

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
life is risk

more so in a mine field yes

lots of hunt able ground in south east Angola

its about relationships and money

Scott king is spot on what worked for snakes also works for this

Scott you can not believe the place

I shot an el just off the border year after i did the work in Angola about 2 miles in to Namibia 300 head herds moving back and forth there on the border last I was there

pm me your email Scott

i will shoot you a clip or two of the video our team took along the river the year we did the work in Angola

I don't know if you remember me I was the guy that developed the road alignment for your grant lake hydro last year [did the Arial mapping and conceptual project design work with Mark Storm]
we presented that to your co op board in April you might recall

its interesting when you go with the sans bushman trackers the old guys will not walk out in to the open with out a quick look around

a hang over reflex from the civil war tracking they did back in the day

they are not looking for mine fields though they all know where the fields are

they are reacting to the get seen get shot at reflex

amazing to catch one do that every now and then

that must have been one hell of a fight

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
life is risk

more so in a mine field yes

lots of hunt able ground in south east Angola

its about relationships and money

Scott king is spot on what worked for snakes also works for this

Scott you can not believe the place

I shot an el just off the border year after i did the work in Angola about 2 miles in to Namibia 300 head herds moving back and forth there on the border last I was there

pm me your email Scott

i will shoot you a clip or two of the video our team took along the river the year we did the work in Angola

I don't know if you remember me I was the guy that developed the road alignment for your grant lake hydro last year [did the Arial mapping and conceptual project design work with Mark Storm]
we presented that to your co op board in April you might recall

its interesting when you go with the sans bushman trackers the old guys will not walk out in to the open with out a quick look around

a hang over reflex from the civil war tracking they did back in the day

they are not looking for mine fields though they all know where the fields are

they are reacting to the get seen get shot at reflex

amazing to catch one do that every now and then

that must have been one hell of a fight

Pm sent momentarily.

Theres no "Rubber meets the road," for me here because at the moment I've got less disposable income than,....well,.....everybody. Despite that truth, I just can't help it, anytime I read or see something like this thread, I feel like I just gotta see it. Rifle or no, Dog, Wife or common sense along or not, I really wanna go!

Over Thanksgiving I flew south and trailered a boat down Baja for a week of fishing. We had a couple destinations in mind and a pocket sort of full of cash and the dog. Here in Dillingham I had to go thru the whole, "Isn't Baja part of California?" "What about the Drug Cartels?" "You can't bring a dog to Mexico!" and on. We went, we fished, the dog swam in the Pacific and The Sea of Cortez and we had a great time. I got to see things I never had and talk to people I never had. Yeah, you got me, I speak no Spanish and sometimes they spoke no English so I jabbered, they jabbered, we all got along.

San bushmen trackers is on the list based in part on the above post. I'm not comfortable sitting here in my kitchen waiting for that ideal moment to try to do something. Now about my disposable income,........

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
I have not yet shot a moose at 61 but you have

what makes you think any of us have enough cash

just make dam sure you waste what you have got on the -- just the right thing