Notify
Tools

New Hunting Information Website
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Folks
Over the last year or so, Mrs Shakari (aka Susan) and I have been developing a new African hunting information website at www.shakariconnection.com.

The site comprises of over 250 pages, covers about 170 species in 12 African countries and the entire content is deliberately unbiased and completely factual. Subjects are many and varied and we’ve tried to cover every single aspect of African hunting safaris.

The idea of the site is to make it as easy as possible for anyone considering an African hunting safari to gather the correct information to ensure they choose a suitable safari for their own particular needs, tastes and finances. We also hope that the site will be useful to our colleagues in the industry.

You’ll find contributions from those we consider the leaders in their fields throughout the site. These articles will be increased as time progresses and if anyone thinks we’ve missed anything, please let us know. The site will be very regularly updated, so we recommend you visit regularly to keep up to date with any possible changes and additions.

For those interested, we will, in the fullness of time be accepting ads from appropriate companies such as ethical agents, hunting companies, PHs, outfitters and outdoor equipment dealers etc. Price will not be our primary consideration with ads, quality and reputation of the companies will.

We’d like to thank those people who have helped us with their knowledge, input, support and discretion in keeping the address quiet until we were ready to go public. I won’t embarrass them by naming them publicly, but they know who they are.

So please visit www.shakariconnection.com and let us know what you think.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a very nice webpage..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Looks like lots of great information. Thanks for taking the time to make it available to neophytes, like me.

I have a question on the following, taken from the PH section.

"A sound hunt indemnity will spell this out - a client will be required to pay the game fees on an animal, that may be incurred if the PH puts in a shot, that he deems necessary in defence of life and limb."

Does this mean only after the client has shot? Can a client be charged a trophy fee if he never shoots?

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Will be exploring in detail.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Awesome stuff!!!!

You guys did a splendid job....

Except....

There is no info about hunting Angola...

So I guess I will have to go an do some research for you???? lol

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Steve. thumb

Bloody well done mate!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted Hide Post
Steve, thanks for the data-base. I hope to see it expand. After surfing it a little I am thinking that it will see a lot of use.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys....... that site represents a shit load of work by both of us over the last 12 months.

dla69

it depends on the circumstance and the indemniity, but the piece you quote refers to an animal that has been previously wounded by the client etc........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Steve, I've already saved it to my favorites, for easy access.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Added it to my "favorites".

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Steve & Susan. A very difficult task very well done! I will do my bit in spreading the good news that it's now public!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Well done a book that is alive and very objective

congrats

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Yes, very well done to the Shakaris, a commendable and most worthy effort. Great service for hunters with relevant and accurate info.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Thank You !
awesome job!

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
US Custom Forms, CITES, SAPS etc. Excellent web site. Added it to my favorites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

An excellent piece of work that obviously took an enormous effort. I plan on relying on it when we plan our next African hunt!

I assume that you welcome additions and corrections to the wealth of information presented on the website. In that spirit, I offer a small correction to the info on hunting in Zimbabwe. It is stated that all hunting is to be conducted during daylight only. I was under the impression that it was legal to hunt leopard at night in some, but not all, areas of Zim. Maybe just private property and concessions?

In any event, thanks for the enormous effort that you and your wife put into this valuable addition to my hunting resources.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great site. I must c omment on one item re clothes. As is always the case the PH says no light or bright clothing, but then they wear light tan shirts and shorts and the best is in RSA on some of the ranch properties the staff (on the truck and tracking) in French Blue jump suits. Confused Wink Just got to love Africa. thumb

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, you just put a lot of websites out of business. Every safari operator out there should link this to their website.

Well done.
THanks for making the effort.

Posts: 10379 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Good work and well done Steve! I've sent you an e-mail ...

Johan

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Bravo! That is a whole lot of info and very well done. Congradulations to you Steve and also to your better half.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking site. I will be doing a lot of reading there.
Thank you

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
To Steve & Susan

Extremely informative website. It tells me that wildlife hunting and Africa travel is definately here for the long term future to be enjoyed by all.

Congratulations, your hard work has produced a gem

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all the esteemed guests

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job....Nice touch with the Rigby 3rd Rising Bite DR in the rt. column (I'm such a gun queer)!

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
nice job. It is added to my favorites and I will be exploring it fully.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Folks
For those interested, we will, in the fullness of time be accepting ads from appropriate companies such as ethical agents....

Now you really have your work cut out for you beer

Great site, good luck

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer
Aawesome!

Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great website!!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Very impressive Steve, well done. Now can you add a temperature converter so I won't have to get out a pen and paper....ha. Email sent.
Good hunting and Merry Christmas,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, done very well, your site has joined my favorites list for future access. Thanks, Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you all for your kind words and support.

Jakkals

You take the pictures and we'll do the research and add Angola to the site! Wink

Andrew,

I reckon I owe Mama Susan a holiday after this marathon!

Rudi,

As you know, it started off as a book project but somehow evolved into a website....... thanks for listening to my drivel when I got frustrated with it! Wink

Johan/Bahati

Thanks for the e-mail and good to talk to you - lok forward to hearing from you. Smiler

Jeff Wemmer,

I'd give my left nut for that double! - it was made for the old time PH Alan Black.

AzGuy,

Plenty of good ones out there but we owe it to the good ones to only accept ads from 110% ethical operators/agents/PHs etc. To say nothing of our own feelings on the subject of unethical hunting practices, which I'm sure are well known here. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very informative and helpful site, Steve. One can certainly appreciate how much hard work went into putting it together.

I have pegged it as a "Favorite" too and thank you (and Susan) for your efforts. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great website, Steve. I've bookmrked it for future reference.

Fred

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RHK
posted Hide Post
Nice work! I'm looking foward to spending some time on there...

"Everybody told me you can't far on $37.00 and and a jap guitar" ~ S.E.

"Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana." ~ M.H.

Wild Bob

Posts: 73 | Location: North East Montana | Registered: 14 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
Represents thousands of hours of research there ...well done steve ...the downloadable docs all in one place make it worthwhile on its own ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Added to favorites, lots of great info.
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve and Susan,

Holy Sh*t ... what a lovely site (and obviously a HUGE amount of work)! Congratulations on a job very, very well done.

Is going into the browser menu! Wish you'd delayed until after deer season ... am going to be terribly conflicted about not spending the time reading it all immediately!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Steve:

Congratulations and thanks for doing the website. I know that I can learn a lot from it just from the few minutes that I clicked into it.

BTW, your javascript source is showing on "choosing-safari-company".

Great job!

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Site: I have been lucky enough to visit SA on hunting safaris for each of the last three years and have spent days on the internet searching for information regarding our planned trips.

I have gained more useful information in the last few hours of research on your site than I had gained from a number days I spent searching for accurate information the past three years. Great work and the quality shows. Thank you!!!

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
I just went through the website. An absolute must read for any one with an ambition to hunt Africa.Thoughtfully selected topics and knowledgeably written.Splendid job.Thank you.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 813 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great job. Thank you for all the hard work!!

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote