THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    After the Sorrow...a bit of anger !!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After the Sorrow...a bit of anger !!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted
By now most of you have read of the tragic death of my friend Owain Lewis. I will not pass judgement on the Client who wounded the Buffalo...only he knows what happened and good or bad it is something he will have to live with the rest of his life. But as a guide myself and having sat around around a few African campfires I can tell you that we often speak of how incompetant and unprepared too many Clients are. Not a majority mind you but a percentage way too high. Dangerous Game hunting is NOT a game. If you get off the Bush Plane and they take you out to check your rifle and you haven't shot it yet (oh yes !) then they should put your sorry ass back on the plane and send you home. If you've bought a Macho big DR and close your eyes when you pull the trigger you should be on that same plane. Just because you have space in your home for a Trophy room ,does not make you a Hunter. Now I don't care if you kill yourself with your lack of skill but when the lives of others are in the mix your responsibilty is magnified many times. I realize many factors are at play when hunting Dangerous Game ....I've seen very experienced hunters (and solders) fumble with ejecting and chambering the next round in the heat of battle. Physical fittness is a major part of preparation...if you can't walk the Miles to track your Buffalo you too deserve a seat on the same plane with the other 2. Yeah Iam harsh but when someone is killed because of your lack of preparation/skill... IMO what makes you at fault.Your wealth or status doesnot prepare you for this challenge. Would you, as a CEO or President of a company, walk into a Boardroom full of concerned Investors,Bankers or whoever unprepared ?...OF COURSE NOT! Before you decide to crucify me with your comments... I have no axe to grind against ANYONE personally. Iam sad and angry at the death of my Friend and I hope with all my heart that this was a totally tragic accident and that it serves as a wake-up call for those of you who take on that most exciting of Challenges and be as Skilled and prepared as you can be.

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
many do not think nearly enough about the fight they are potentially picking for themselves and others before they pull the trigger. Just finished a brown bear hunt and one fleeting chance (about 3 seconds) at a legend of a brown bear, moving up the mountain at 320 yards, off of shooting sticks. I never pulled the trigger due to the exact situation described above. listened to some bitching for the next couple of days, whent in one ear and out the other, as I knew I had made the right decision (for once).

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I disagree with most of your post, except for the rifle familiarity part. But given that most of the folks who can afford these kinds of hunts are in their more "mature" years, good luck with your cleint Rollodex. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Chris,

It is ALWAYS sad to hear of the death of a fellow hunter, whether he is a client or a PH.

Incidents like this do happen every now and then, regardless on how experienced the client is.

I have probably shot more buffalo than most people on this forum. And sadly, I have wounded a number of buffalo, and we managed to finish them off without any danger to any of us.

Once a buffalo is wounded, we do not have any control on the situation. We just have to deal with it the best we can.

We have discussed this very situation with the PH I have hunted with. My opinion was that both the PH and myself as clients know what the score is, and we can take our chances with any animal we wound.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67549 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way too often, friends of mine show up with a new rifle ("yep, they boresighted it in for me at the gunshop") allegedly ready for opening day for elk. I can't remember how many I have worked with just trying to get them used to shooting a new rifle or even an old one that they don't shoot much " 'cause it kicks like a mule". I can't count the number of friends who can't tolerate the recoil of a .300 win mag much less shoot a .375. Gotta be rough. Sorry for the loss of a friend.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Chris my condolences.

We hunt the good, the bad and the ugly.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9907 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris E Nelson:
By now most of you have read of the tragic death of my friend Owain Lewis. I will not pass judgement on the Client who wounded the Buffalo...only he knows what happened and good or bad it is something he will have to live with the rest of his life. But as a guide myself and having sat around around a few African campfires I can tell you that we often speak of how incompetant and unprepared too many Clients are. Not a majority mind you but a percentage way too high. Dangerous Game hunting is NOT a game. If you get off the Bush Plane and they take you out to check your rifle and you haven't shot it yet (oh yes !) then they should put your sorry ass back on the plane and send you home. If you've bought a Macho big DR and close your eyes when you pull the trigger you should be on that same plane. Just because you have space in your home for a Trophy room ,does not make you a Hunter. Now I don't care if you kill yourself with your lack of skill but when the lives of others are in the mix your responsibilty is magnified many times. I realize many factors are at play when hunting Dangerous Game ....I've seen very experienced hunters (and solders) fumble with ejecting and chambering the next round in the heat of battle. Physical fittness is a major part of preparation...if you can't walk the Miles to track your Buffalo you too deserve a seat on the same plane with the other 2. Yeah Iam harsh but when someone is killed because of your lack of preparation/skill... IMO what makes you at fault.Your wealth or status doesnot prepare you for this challenge. Would you, as a CEO or President of a company, walk into a Boardroom full of concerned Investors,Bankers or whoever unprepared ?...OF COURSE NOT! Before you decide to crucify me with your comments... I have no axe to grind against ANYONE personally. Iam sad and angry at the death of my Friend and I hope with all my heart that this was a totally tragic accident and that it serves as a wake-up call for those of you who take on that most exciting of Challenges and be as Skilled and prepared as you can be.

Um, sure you are. And while I sincerely sympathize with the loss of your friend, you are painting with a broad brush in a rather tasteless manner.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funnily enough I thought of starting another thread regarding harsh thoughts on various shots that are taken by clients.

Personaly I do not believe that there is any blame for consequences resulting in a wounded animal that then wounds or kills a person. In my eyes hunting is a law of averages and decisions with factors that are not totaly in our control such as "human error" to which all us meer mortals are affected by- let me try and explain better.

As the guide when I ask the client to take the shot I am saying that I personally feel that it is a "do able low risk shot". Having chatted with clients prior to the hunt when I say shoot and they take the shot it means that they think it is also a do able and low risk shot- so you have an agreement with out even having to discuss it in the field.

Remember that the reality of having a 100% safe shot is rare if not almost impossible
in places like the Valley- if you were to insist that the only shot you will take would be a broad side open shot at no more then 40 yards you would come home empty handed every time. Its a law of averages and even the very best most competent hunters fuff shots- thats just life and no one is to blame. Everyone tries their best and no one intentionally wounds an animal. For me a wounded animal is just part of our Job- thankfully not that often but when it does, if their is any blame ( which as I say - I dont believe there is) then it would be shared between PH and Client!

Likewise when someone says that their barrel never pointed at another member of the team- they have either only ever hunted in a tree stand or off the back of the vehicle. With the terrain in the valley your rifle is going to point at someone some where thats just a fact- you have just got to be aware of it and make doubly sure your rifle is on safe.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morning Guys
It is easy to feel anger, especially when it is fueled by the loss of a friend. I know of which I speak as you can imagine. Fairgame had it right, PH's have to hunt the client they are presented, as he said the Good, Bad, and Ugly. The client who wounded the bull was not even on hand at the tragedy, and you can imagine my mixed feelings on that. On one hand, Owain had his hands full, and perhaps felt a bit of relief that one less responsibility was present as he focused on the bull. On the other hand, the extra firepower may have saved his life if it had been available instead of resting in camp. We will never know. What we can all agree to is that we need to do our very best to make that shot on DG as the results can be terrible. Human beings will all fail at one time or another, but we never set out to do so. But we owe the game, our companions, and ourselves our very best efforts as it pertains to safe gun handling and shots on DG. On July 5, we had another Chifuti client blow the front half of his own foot off buy resting the barrel's of his .500NE on his foot waiting for a buff he had just shot to expire. His PH had to have shrapnel dug out of his leg. This very morning I have two PH"s tied up trying to finish another wounded buff. Like Saeed, I have wounded buff, but was damn sure there in the end. As we have seen, mistakes in this game are truly life and death. The loss of our brother Owain proves the point.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
You're in the business you're in. Folks that can afford the big money safari probably don't obsess on the "how to" part of what they want. Rather, they rely on the professional to deliver (safety included). All I might offer is to be clear that the PH will follow up doubtful shots taken.

(I think your feelings about losing a magnificent friend are still too recent for absolute clear thoughts. Give it time, even if you are completely right.)

2 cents

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris E Nelson:

Chris

Sorry to hear about the loss of your buddy and I take my hat off to you for having the courage to raise what is often an uncomfortable subject and sometimes an unpleasant truth.

I've no doubt your post will raise the ire of some but your comments can certainly do no harm and may well do some good.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What a load of crap. Owain was living the good life. You take your chances and this time he lost. No one was forcing him to take the client's money.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19337 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have said, it is hunting and you take your chances. At least when following a wounded buffalo you know it is wounded. How many have met their demise or have been injured while after other game and coming upon a buffalo (or other dangerous or potentially dangerous game) that has been wounded by another hunter or poacher or another predator? I have no idea what shape the client was in but I do believe that if I were to wound a buffalo I would have to be on death's door not to be in on the follow up.

Posts: 765 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
I, for one, agree.
I explained to a non-hunter about hunting dangerous game. "When you pull the trigger on dangerous game, you have made the conscious decision that either you, or the animal is going to be killed. And if you're not prepared for that, you don't do it."
I think perhaps too few have thought it out that far.

My sympathies to the client and rest of the team for the anguish they must feel.
My condolences to family and friends,
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
What a load of crap. Owain was living the good life. You take your chances and this time he lost. No one was forcing him to take the client's money.

Callous, harsh and a load of crap. moon

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I think it is most important for all of us to look forward and not back on this tragedy. Out of every accident comes lessons learned that we all can apply to our NEXT DG hunting situation. I plan to discuss the scenario with my PH, Mike Payne, a dear friend of Owain, when I hunt with Mike in August. I want to know what we might do differently in a similar scenario to skew the outcome in our favor, talk it over, and make a plan. Until then, I will work to get myself in the best shape I can get in before I leave. I will practice with my double rifle every week in every possible shooting position emphasizing offhand at various ranges. I will practice a shoot / reload / shoot scenario at buffalo targets and keep doing it until I get it right every time. I will do everything I can to skew the odds in my favor such that Mike Payne never has to fire a shot.....but if he does, we will have a plan worked out to (hopefully)achieve the right outcome - and that is that all of us get back to camp safely each and every day.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is indeed a very tragic incident and the PH paid the ultimate price. Anyone can screw up a shot and if you hunt long enough you will loose animals and in the case of dangerous game face charges and close encounters and that is the thrill of hunting dangerous game.

However I feel that many many clients these days are not prepared for their hunt! Either they have not practiced their shooting or are not physically fit or cannot take the heat or cold or whatever it may be. On top of this everyone expects a world record trophy to come home with and God forbid they dont, then feel they have been deceived and the PH is fully to blame followed closely by the booking agent as has been discussed here numerous times. Never once is the client's abilities brought to light as it would be bad business frankly for the PH and the booking agent.

Buying a hunt means that you owe it to yourself to go fully prepared and understand that hunting fair chase is not a guaranteed affair! This is perhaps why so many pseudo hunters nowadays have gravitated to High Fence hunting and shooting canned lions. And its probably best for all that they remain in that sport!!!

But this state of affairs is not exclusive to hunting alone! If you read the fantastic book (Into Thin Air) about a tragic expedition on Everest where a number of climbers and experienced guides lost their lives a few years ago. You will note that the whole screw up was caused greatly thanks to a NY woman socialite who fancied herself to be an experienced mountain climber but was anything but in real life.

All said and done thank God these tragic incidents are quite rare!

Posts: 2557 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Npo dog in this fight, but animals are animals, and I am willing to bet that no Cape Buffalo has ever read the book on what is supposed to happen when they get shot. The PH was doing his job. Maybe this was a situation he had sorted out a hundred times. Maybe had the decision to follow up as quickly as he did should have been re-evaluated. It was a tragedy. It was not the first time a PH has had to try and sort things out and the outcome was not as planned.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Callous, harsh and a load of crap. moon

Callous, harsh (I wouldn't say "a load of crap") but TRUE! Taking nothing away from this terrible tragedy, this is the life that he chose and getting killed was one of the dangers.

As a retired police officer here in New York, I have had several friends shot and a few killed as well. We all grieve for them and their family's, but it is a hazard of the job and you must go forward and move on.

My heart goes out to his family

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is tragic to say the least but wounding an animal is at some point just part of the hunting that we do. To chastize clients about their shooting ability is pushing the limit as we are all not created equal and our shooting ability will be different. They found Owain's rifle empty and the buff got him. I bet Owain was a great marksman but he also failed to kill this beast.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clearly the client has a responsibility to stay focused and serious about his shooting. Not knowing tne circumstances and the people I consider it difficult to make a judgement in this sad case. But it is a dangerous thing by definition and everybody (PH and client) must be aware of this. Also I guess that the unfortunate hunter might already has his own share of problems to deal with. Also it should be noted from what I learned that one of the sons had been part of the tragedy and managed to get some shots in albeit too late.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
Hey Will you really are a first class DICKHEAD. I refuse to be in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. The only load of crap is the one between your ears. (An ELEPHANT "EXPERT"?? living in Kansas ...now that's believable)

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pennsyltucky
posted Hide Post
Hey Chris et. al.,

Is any one forcing African PHs to take old, fat, out of shape, bush-ignorant clients into the bush? Nope. Is there a requisite fitness and marksmanship test prior to the issuance of tag or the booking if a hunt? Nope.

Anytime a loved one or friend is taken from us we grieve and we are, quite naturally, angry at fate or God or what have you. For you to place blame at the feet of a tourist who was NOT involved in whatever decisions were made in the follow up of the wounded buff is garbage. The hunts cost the money they do for a reason. An erstwhile PH could stay safe at home on his property earning a living doing...something that doesnt involve the possibility of death.

Posts: 93 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
PH could stay safe at home on his property earning a living doing...something that doesnt involve the possibility of death.

maybe not in Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend, Chris.
As a client hunter with a few safaris under his belt, I too have had the experience of wounding and losing a buff. It was 2005 in the Save, a few safaris back. It was my first dangerous game hunt. I had practiced quite diligently with my 470, and told my PH (Bill Landry) that I felt OK out to 50 yards with the express sights. After several frustrating days of tracking, we quite suddenly found ourselves facing a herd across a small clearing. I allowed myself to be rushed into taking a shot by the situation, not by anyone else. Broadside, maybe 50 yards, nice bull. I shot low, and likely shot through the brisket. Just a few drops of blood. I was, of course, mortified. We followed up, and since the bull crossed the border into another property, permission was obtained to continue the followup.
I was told that the owners of the other property did not want the client on the followup. I don't really know who made that call, but retrospectively it was probably a good one, given my inexperience. I might have proven an additional hazard, rather than an asset.
I spent one of the longest days of my life in camp, while other people put themselves at risk sorting out a problem of my making. I was told that the bull had rejoined the herd, and probably would survive. I paid a trophy fee.
In spite of the fact that I have more experience now, and have shot my dangerous game rifles considerably more, I am still just an amateur hunter. I rely on professionals to keep things sorted out. After this tragic death, and the episode of Buzz's tracker, Criton, getting stomped, I have become more mindful than ever of what I am expecting the team to do. I am also more mindful than ever of my responsibilities as a team member, and, yes, the employer for whom these stalwarts take such risks.
I hope to God that nothing bad ever happens on one of my hunts, and if it does, that it is not because I wasn't able to do my job. It might, though, and that is a risk that we client hunters must come to grips with. What's the alternative?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not as hard on clients that are not in the best of shape as some on here. For many clients, their less than perfect condition is the result of some health issue or advanced age. That is not their fault. Should they give up hunting? Not likely. As long as the client explains to the PH what his limitations are, it then is up to the PH to help him be successful on his hunt. It may also mean that the client will not be invited along on the follow up if one is needed.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is a real tragedy to say the least, and I feel for you for the loss of a friend! Still as others have already said that was the life he chose, and knew the hazards.

Having said that one thing this tragedy has proved is my oft posted opinion that the thought that one can slack on weapon, and skill simply because he is accompanied by a PH is wrong.

My contention is anyone who hunts dangerous game should be properly armed, and know how to use it.

As is obvious by this, is that clients are not always the one hit, leaving the client to shoot something off the PH, so he should be armed as if he were hunting completely alone, and be willing to finish what he starts, unless ordered by the PH to stay back.

I for one would argue the point but in any event I would not be in camp while the PH was cleaning my mess!

............................................................................... BOOM............................. holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
We hire professionals of many different flavors because we are not as proficient as they in their particular trade.

I am not a professional african hunter so I hire one to assist me.

Clients are clients because they don't have the savy of the pro's. Undoubtedly this client feels horrible about the death of such a fine man but that was the occupational hazard.

Posts: 9243 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was a terrible tragedy and my thoughts and prayers go out to ALL that were involved. 

I have my opinion on anyone that would immediately start publicly questioning any of the actions of those involved or boasting what they could/would have done in the situation. 

As long as there is dangerous game hunting, there is going to be instances of wounded game follow up. I would say that the percentage of even the top PH's in the business would slim down that could perform on the third day of a wounded buffalo, in the type of terrain that Aaron Neilson described. That's the type of follow up that really separates the men from the boys. And I'm not talking about physical ability. The stress level and being able to stay focused for that long would be very, very difficult. 

I sincerely understand the grief and sorrow that Owain's family and friends are feeling at this time, but hope that all can reach a point where they accept that he died at 67 years of age doing what he loved, in a brave and honorable way while saving other lives. 
I can only wish the same for myself. 

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all the grief and anger that is expressed in a tragic and untimely departure of a friend or colleague in the life of a PH, it must also be remembered that 2 people made a mistake that fateful day, one of whom made the fatal one.

As in all the cases I have known, those PHs who were either injured or killed by DG follow-up encounters, were a result of a split moment of carelessness or cockiness and/or making the poorest shot of his career when it counted the most.

Had the client not botched the shot the tragic event of that day would probably never have happened, though I firmly believe that there is no one in particular to be faulted; I do however believe in fate and when your number is drawn it can be anywhere, anytime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you honestly know the exact circumstances of what happened, I believe it is unwise to comment on this tragedy, except to offer condolences to Owain's family and freinds. I sincerely offer mine, even though I never met Owain, but only know that he was a fellow hunter, and one who would risk his safety to offer people like me a chance to hunt in Afica.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
First my sincerest condolences to his family and friends and my admiration for a life well spent. As someone who has been very close to death with Congestive Heart Failure due to a viral infection in the past 12 months (and I'm not overweight and my cholesterol is fine) and who has hunted all of his life (self guided, the blue collar way packing his game out on his back in the North East and Rocky Mountains) I can sincerely say I chose to push myself hard over doctor's orders to hunt brown bear in Alaska rather than chance dying in a hospital bed.

There's no excuse for someone going on a DG hunt without having fired his rifle or practicing with it. There are lots of places where they will put you through your paces if you can afford it. That doesn't mean the hunter will have the nerve when the time comes. People hunt DG at first to test themselves and sometimes they are found wanting.
It's the business a DG guide is in.

I'm a decent shot (I can hit a soda can with my 270 or 500 Jeffery almost every time at 100 yards offhand). I used to be a good shot in my 20s when I had more time and hunted 50 to 100 days a year. Still on my first stalk on my first guided hunt ever for brown bear(and I have finished off a wounded grizzly before with my 270 when I was assistant guide/wrangler in my 20s) I was very nervous and blew the stalk, but had the good judgement not to take the shot. It was something about being guided even though my guide was fantastic. The next day my guide executed another perfect stalk and the first time I saw my brown bear he was at 13 yards and was coming around the corner towards me. I was cool and calm and hit him perfectly, then went in after him in the thick stuff. Was I excited, yes, was I calm and steady yes.

My point is, if you haven't been on a guided hunt before, even if you have been a hunter for a long time and are a good shot, it is probably good to have that first experience on non-dangerous game or at least combine plains game with dangerous game and shoot some of the plains game first. Get used to being guided, having the guide gently urge you to shoot and you still have to make the decision as to whether you can make that shot or not. It is your decision and you have to take some if not all of the responsiblity for what happens after you pull the trigger.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4738 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
A terrible loss for his family, friends and the hunting community at large.

There is no such thing as a "good" death; just shades of sad and bad and some really terrible. But it is never "good". It is part of life and it will come to us all and hopefully we each will have the kind of immortality that comes with the the respect and love shown for this man and his family.

Chris, I know how you feel - I'd bet nearly everyone reading this knows the feelings and anger you are feeling because most have been through this ourselves.

I do though disagree with some of what you wrote.

Each of us has the responsibility to be as good as we can possibly be by doing as much as we can in preparation.

BUT that does NOT mean the same regimen is possible for every person - be it days hunting, days at a range, physical preparation and condition, etc.

Should my father have not been allowed to come with me for Cape buffalo or elephant because he is 72, had recent lung surgery for cancer and can't walk as far as my PH or I can?

Should I not be allowed to hunt elephant, Cape buffalo, leopard, lion, etc because I have and will never be able to hunt 100 days a year in preparation for a safari since I average over 110 hours a week at the hospital?

And even with all of the practice, intimate familiarity with one's rifle, being in top physical shape, knowing the land and working their ass off as you suggest, I bet there are a few folk here on AR who have not made instantly fatal shots on DG. Despite all of that preparation.

My dad and family and I do our very best but I am certain it is less than some and more than others. I have been exquisitely honest with our guides and PHs about our limitations. If the PH accepts our business he must accept these limitations as well. If not the latter, then neither the former.

NONE of this is to take away from the dedication and honor rightfully belonging to a man who dedicated and gave his life for his client. To you and to his family and friends I offer my prayers and condolences.

Respectfully,

Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, After you put the clients sorry ass back on the plane, I don't suppose you give him a full refund. I agree that as a client I should be as prepaired as possible when I arrive, but we all make mistakes. Someone once posted on this forum " There are 2 types of hunters, those who have missed shots, and those who are going to miss shots".

I dont see anyone telling clients at the shows here in the States, You don't look in shape to me. I wont book you on a hunt.

I fell it was totaly inapropriate for you to put the blame on the client. He fells bad enough already.

You chose this profession. If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys
Are there lessons to be learned here ? You bet. Are emotions raw? Of course. Hunting, especially DG comes with risks. Africa has a long list of legendary hunters who lost their lives to dangerous animals. It has been, and will continue to be so for as long as we play the game. Human failings are a part of every part of our lives, and hunting is not exempt. The lesson is we do our best, prior to and during our hunts. Owain would be upset knowing this caused infighting and cross words, and as has been said here, he knew and accepted the risks of his profession. With the exception of one poster here, most have been thoughtful and pointed, even though there has been disagreement. In respect of Owain, lets try our best to become better hunters, sportsmen, and men. That would make that fine man happy indeed !

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Regardless of how well prepared and proficient the client is, nipping a blade of that tough elephant grass can cause a well aimed bullet to veer far enough to wound instead of kill. I'm sure the client feels devastated. Placing blame on him now is certainly a consequence of fresh anger at this point. I wouldn't hold Chris's comments against him as he is obviously hurting from the loss of his friend. This early on in the grieving process, perspective is pretty thin.

This is however a reminder of how wrong the attitude is to show up thinking the PH is there to save your butt if things go pear shaped. PH's are human, use mechanical weapons that sometimes fail, and you the client may well be needed to save the PH.

I feel horrible for Owain, his family, his friends, and the Safari Classics guys and offer my sincere condolences and prayers.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Chris
I don't totally disagree with you. However, if change the way we do business to what you propose, you better find another way to make a living. It is why a PH is required. The PH can refuse service but then he ain't getting paid. It is sad that much too often someone dies on a hunt but it is part of being a PH. Your comments are similar to the race-car driver saying the cars are too fast and need to be slowed down. It's a dangerous business, more prepared clients won't change that.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1259 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was the client shooting, a 375?

If I read between the lines, it sounds like the client may have been 'heavy-set' and not in good conditioning.

It also seems like the client did not have the capacity, for whatever reason, to continue to track his animal and decided to rest in camp.

Is this behavior/condition unusual or commonplace? Is there a trend on way or the other? i.e. towards more clients like this or fewer?

Blessings and best wishes to Owain, and what a hero it sounds like he was.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no say in this but I do agree with this post very much.
"In respect of Owain, lets try our best to become better hunters, sportsmen, and men. That would make that fine man happy indeed !" Dave Fulson

This is what should be taken from what is obviously a horrible outcome to a hunt. God Bless Owain's family and may he be hunting 50" buffaloes and 100 pound tuskers in the happy hunting grounds.

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
Chris
I don't totally disagree with you. However, if change the way we do business to what you propose, you better find another way to make a living. It is why a PH is required. The PH can refuse service but then he ain't getting paid. It is sad that much too often someone dies on a hunt but it is part of being a PH. Your comments are similar to the race-car driver saying the cars are too fast and need to be slowed down. It's a dangerous business, more prepared clients won't change that.

I would humbly submit that a physically fit prepared shooter would certainly lessen that danger a bit.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote