THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    "Under Wild Skies" cancelled by NBCSports

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Under Wild Skies" cancelled by NBCSports
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,
I just read on the SCI website that the NRA-sponsored program, "Under Wild Skies", hosted by Tony Makris, has been cancelled by NBCSports Network. The apparent reason is a campaign by antis, complete with false accusations about the legality of Tony's last ele hunt with Johan Calitz. Anyone know any more about this?
Cheers,
Tim

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
That's terrible news, I really enjoyed their show. Should have seen the writing on the wall when NBC bought out versus network.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted about the petition that got pushed by facebook yesterday.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...3811043/m/2851028291

Very shocking!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Like I said before, who the hell is desperate enough to do business with NBC?
Gotta be kidding me.
That's one big blunder on Tony's and his producers part.
Live and learn, maybe?
Love the show by the way.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you Google the subject, you will find several, if not dozens, of petition sites.

I don't see where SCI said the show is cancelled, only that it is under attack.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian Khama pretty much did away with the show anyway as probably 80% of the programming was Botswana DG hunting.

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am sure that the NRA sponsorship of the show did not help with NBC either. I am sure Tony and the show will be just fine, they will take the show to The Outdoor Channel or one of the other cable venues. I think it is one of the top three outdoor shows produced.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I am sure that the NRA sponsorship of the show did not help with NBC either. I am sure Tony and the show will be just fine, they will take the show to The Outdoor Channel or one of the other cable venues. I think it is one of the top three outdoor shows produced.

Mike I think the show is going to struggle without Botswana hunting. They aired a couple of episodes from Johan's Niassa area but it was "difficult" as even Tony admitted. Niassa does not lend itself to programming as you don't see big numbers of animals standing around in the open.

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:

Mike I think the show is going to struggle without Botswana hunting. They aired a couple of episodes from Johan's Niassa area but it was "difficult" as even Tony admitted. Niassa does not lend itself to programming as you don't see big numbers of animals standing around in the open.

I watched it a few times but got really bored watching Tony Makris pulling the trigger. I don't watch any shows anymore where the same guy pulls the trigger, with On Your Own Adventures being the exception, as many of his hunts are not successful.

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ANTI's are attacking traditional values like never before...we've got to VOTE next election. Only ~65% of eligible voters actually vote in the USA, and many of those who don't vote are older conservative folks, who for some reason stay at home. Obama won this time, because a greater percentage of his supporters voted, and Romney's didn't.

PLEASE, join with your local republican party and WORK to get out the vote - no matter what state you live in, red or blue. Also, support the SCI and NRA...our hobby and shooting rights are on the line.

VOTE!!

AIU

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
The ANTI's are attacking traditional values like never before...we've got to VOTE next election. Only ~65% of eligible voters actually vote in the USA, and many of those who don't vote are older conservative folks, who for some reason stay at home. Obama won this time, because a greater percentage of his supporters voted, and Romney's didn't.

PLEASE, join with your local republican party and WORK to get out the vote - no matter what state you live in, red or blue. Also, support the SCI and NRA...our hobby and shooting rights are on the line.

VOTE!!

AIU

Sorry AIU, Romney lost because he failed to appeal to the hispanic vote, which voted overwhelmingly for Obama. He himself said that this week. Obviously it didn't help that Obama painted him as villainous and he failed to respond to that.

Barron's had a very interesting story in today's issue about our coming fiscal crisis - we simply can't afford to pay the entitlements we have committed to paying. Obama has no solution to this problem; he avoids it entirely. In fact, as much as I hate to admit it, the same issue of Barrons said the only president since 1980 to tackle the issue was Clinton. Since 1980, our total debt as a percentage of GDP has been climbing even though we have not been fighting major wars (eg Civil War and both WWs).

Finally, even though I am Republican, there are plenty of Demos who support our right to bear arms and hunt; many of them get A+ grades from the NRA. Trying to paint the NRA as a Repub organization doesn't do us any good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where we can communicate our displeasure over this to NBC Sports? I personally plan to boycott them in the future--easy enough since about the only thing they have that interests me is the NHL. For the record, NBC Sports bought the Versus channel 2 seasons ago, and UWS probably never negotiated with NBC. Also, It was the Newt Gingrich Congress during the Clinton administration that balanced the budget the last time.
Cheers,
Tim Ferrall

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Absolutely one of the very best hunting shows on any Sports Channel. I knew when NBC bought Versus that that would likely be the end of any hunting show on that channel. I am surprised that it lasted this long on there, to be honest. Hopefully the Outdoor Channel will pick up Under Wild Skies. There is plenty of great hunting in Moz and Under Wild Skies has been producing shows from there for a long time, in addition to Botswana. Then let those f'ing antis campaign on that one!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've always enjoyed watching Tony's program. It's very tastefully done and I enjoy the dialog presented. Hopefully another channel will pick him up.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely one of the very best hunting shows on any Sports Channel. I knew when NBC bought Versus that that would likely be the end of any hunting show on that channel. I am surprised that it lasted this long on there, to be honest. Hopefully the Outdoor Channel will pick up Under Wild Skies. There is plenty of great hunting in Moz and Under Wild Skies has been producing shows from there for a long time, in addition to Botswana. Then let those f'ing antis campaign on that one!

i agree 100%

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if the ratings are any good or not?

Hard to believe with Duck Dynasty on 600 times a week that it got cancelled off a sports channel for political reasons.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hard to believe with Duck Dynasty on 600 times a week that it got cancelled off a sports channel for political reasons.

Duck Dynasty is on A&E (Art & Entertainment), hardly a sports channel.
It is also the #1 reality show on television.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Love Duck Dynasty, Wild Skies-- not. Markis -- way too pompous and upper class for me. I won't miss it, because I never watched it after the first 5 episodes.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.treehugger.com/enda...shoots-elephant.html

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even reruns have been taken off and replaced by throw a bobber in the water shows.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just put him on the sportsman channel.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duck Dynasty kills brain cells! Kinda like "Honey Boo Boo" for hunters!!!!!!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would Outdoor Channel kill one of the golden geese? Confused

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Boycott of NBC is ineffective....BIG BOYCOTT to all of NBC's advertisers is where it will hurt!! Write a letter to every CEO Advertiser and explain your dissatisfaction.....this will get to the heart of this matter!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2570 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That did not take long. I see that the Outdoor Channel has picked up Under Wild Skies. An episode is airing now.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That did not take long. I see that the Outdoor Channel has picked up Under Wild Skies. An episode is airing now.

Yep,....I got a new season pass on the DVR.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike: I went through the Outdoor Channel list of shows for the entire week and couldn't find it. What time was it listed for today?

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Next showings per their schedule- Monday 12PM ET, and again on Sat 8PM ET.
Both on Botswana Buff as the hunting wraps up there!!
I missed the show tonight.
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2570 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry AIU, Romney lost because he failed to appeal to the hispanic vote, which voted overwhelmingly for Obama.

Sorry but this is incorrect. It's been shown that given the number of hispanics that vote, Romney could have received 90% of their vote and still lost. The problem is that Romney didn't appeal to the base, only to the Inside-the-Beltway type of Republicans, so voters stayed home. BHO didn't get as many votes as he did the first time.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Love Duck Dynasty, Wild Skies-- not. Markis -- way too pompous and upper class for me. I won't miss it, because I never watched it after the first 5 episodes.

I agree Makris has never appealed to me either. Fancy gear, fancy guns, stylin' hat, etc. My buddies and I don't look that way when hunting over there but then we're not trying to emulate Hemingway.

I think that it's shows like that which gives the impression that an African hunt is extremely expensive. Sure DG hunts aren't cheap but a plains game safari is well within the budget of anyone thinking of a guided elk or big whitetail hunt in the U.S. I believe that this point should be emphasized more on these programs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 470EDDY! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

this if probably my first post in any of the "African" forums.

Although I agree with their world views, don't watch Duck Dynasty or uncle Ted. About the only two shows that I watch with any regularity are Meateater with Stephen Rinella and the show Pigman that precedes it (I'm in Texas and we've a bunch of hoglets that can be shot 24/7/365.)

From time to time I will be reloading on Saturday evening prior to a range session on Sunday morning. I'll occasionally turn on one of the hunting channels.
Happened to catch Mr. Makris' show last night. They were chasing buffalo. At one point the PH was talking about watching the sun set and being able to see thousands of buffalo as far as the eye could see. For a flat-lander from Texas, that would be an experience I'd never forget.

Since opinions are in vogue, just my $0.02

I go by my initials (GW). I tell folks that when I was born my folks were so poor that they couldn't afford a name, just initials. My dad was not a hunter and never owned a rifle or a pistol. Only a Browning sweet 16, which I now have.
Grew up reading hand-me-down Argosy, Sports Afield,
etc.
Anyway, where I'm going with this is, I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth so to speak.

The first rifle I bought as adult was an old Savage 112FV in 22-250. IIRC, I paid $175 for it, and $25 for the Simmons scope to go on it.

Last year, thanks to trading up, I purchased two Merkel K1's, a Luxus model 11, and just got my first Blaser.

I'd much rather watch a show featuring an understated fellow like Tony Makris than most of the shows where the husband is the cuckhold or some mush-mouthed good ol' southern boys acting like hicks, going orgasmic while thankin' Jaesssssus for the animal they just shot in a 200 acre trap that would starve except for the supplemental feed supplied and devoured when the dinner bell is rung. I like folk that go about their business in a professional way using the best quality equipment.

Different strokes for different folks, but I also enjoy seeing successful folk living and doing things "upscale". Perhaps I'll be among them one day. And anyone that tells you that money don't buy happiness, has been shopping at the wrong stores. It won't buy your health, or peace with your maker. But it works with the toys.

end of rant.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
the show Pigman

Isn't this show just what you ranted against?

quote:

..some mush-mouthed good ol' southern boys acting like hicks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope,

and being from Texas I'd figured you would understand the distinction.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2