THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Problem with Russells - Answers, Advice
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Russells - Answers, Advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
My new "custom" Russells arrived and they're HUGE. I don't know who these "custom" boots were made for, but it was not me. Too long, too wide, I cannot lace them tightly enough to come close to fitting any part of my foot. To top it off, the genius at Russell couldn't care less. Ho hum. No joke, almost total silence on the other end of the phone line. They measured me, they made the boots, they don't fit for shit, and somehow it's my fault.

They are going back to Wisconsin (maybe Paul Bunyan can wear them) and I am back in the market for new safari boots.

I've looked and looked for an uninsulated, mid or low boot with a very flat, quiet, non-lugged sole and I cannot find much out there.

So, does an "off the shelf" boot exist that fits my specs or do I keep messing with the fine folks of Berlin, WI until they make me a shoe that actually fits my foot?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
I have 2 boots from them, and both fit perfect. 1 is the PH2, and the other is the Thula Thula. Or try running shoes at walmart, 1/10 the price of russells.

Jr

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
My new "custom" Russells arrived and they're HUGE. I don't know who these "custom" boots were made for, but it was not me. Too long, too wide, I cannot lace them tightly enough to come close to fitting any part of my foot. To top it off, the genius at Russell couldn't care less. Ho hum. No joke, almost total silence on the other end of the phone line. They measured me, they made the boots, they don't fit for shit, and somehow it's my fault.

They are going back to Wisconsin (maybe Paul Bunyan can wear them) and I am back in the market for new safari boots.

I've looked and looked for an uninsulated, mid or low boot with a very flat, quiet, non-lugged sole and I cannot find much out there.

So, does an "off the shelf" boot exist that fits my specs or do I keep messing with the fine folks of Berlin, WI until they make me a shoe that actually fits my foot?

Don't you always love customer service like that. Will they ever learn?
I wear Merrells in Africa, They are light. VERY COMFORTABLE! I can take a pair out of the box and wear them all day no problems. They only last about 2 safaris but at $110.00 who cares
nice parting gift for the trackers

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any good boot will do the job. The boot don't care if it is being worn in the rock in Idaho or the rock in Africa. Nothing wrong with off the shelf boots unless you have hard to fit feet.
No reason to spend a bunch on boots when the same money can go toward more animals (same goes for other clothing).

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Jeff says - Merrells.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Used a pair of Merrells on two safaris and shot two elephants while wearing them. But they were shoe and not a boot. Soft soles and wore them out.
Should have bought two pair.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Jeff and Aaron:

What model(s) do you like?

What about stickers, thorns, briars and whatnot coming through the mesh panels?

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have to vote for the "rocky" birdshooters
3.1 pounds unisulated,waterproof.
i wear them everyday, working or hunting.
a year in the rock of wyo,co,n.mex and old mex
they should last a safari or 6

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danners, on this last trip. Got the 8" and wore them every other day for about four weeks before I left. Very comfortable, and great arch/ankle support. Plenty of grip for here in Idaho rock climbing or hunting, and they will probably outlast me. Can't beat them for a retail of $150.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I have five pairs of Russell's -- they all fit well and I'd never part with any of them.

But, I'm betting you don't want to hear that. LOL

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the no-heel Wolverines. Right off the shelf. Fit like a glove.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of russell's "Joes PH special" boots and they are the best fitting footwear I own. I know that is not much help to you, but I would try to get them to alter yours for a better fit before giving up. Since I did the measuring and tracing at home, I was concerned as to how mine would fit because I had heard about Russell's crappy customer service, but I guess I lucked out. I hope they make it right with you.

Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldHandgunHunter:
I have five pairs of Russell's -- they all fit well and I'd never part with any of them.

Positive experiences like that are exactly why I got measured and ordered some. Fast forward four months and box of Yetti shoes arrives in the mail. Here's how the phone call went:

"Hey, this is Will Parks down in Alabama. I received these boots in the mail today and, funny thing, they are way too big. They are the right color and model, but I'm talking about way, way too big. These boots could not have been made for me or from the measurements taken of my feet."

Russell responds, "Nope. They're yours."

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a pair of Russells for my first safari. I ordered them with plenty of time. As the date for leaving got close I called them and they said not to worry they would be there in time.....they weren't (big shock)

The night before leaving I went over to the local K-Mart for a backup pair of boots as I had a pair of leather chukka's that would work. I bought the cheapest pair of suitable boots I could find and they they ended up being all I used for that safari. I still, 15 years later, use the damn things for various chores. Probably the best boot value I will ever get.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I dont know about you guys, but no amount of foot-tracing and arch-height measurements can compare with trying on a pair of boots and walking around in them, feeling the way they fit each part of your foot, noticing if they slide or are too tight here or too loose there. I dunno... I have two pairs of Hi-tec Altitude 4's (because they make them in wide) and i think they are the best damn off-road shoes I have. I also have a pair of Danner something or others and they are very comfortable, especially after I had David Page re-sole them (after Danner said it couldn;t be done). He put on a slightlty stiffer bottom and bada bing baby... They are going on 11 years and the Hi-tec's about 7. I think they better they fit, the less they wear, but it could be the absinthe...

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Will,

My Russells came one fitting great, one I have to wear 2 socks to make it work. It's ridiculous. I know a lot of folks don't, but I really like my Courtney's, and I also have some noninsulated Danner Kestrels, Danner Jackals, and a pair of hiking looking ECCO's that I like a lot.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try these Merrills:

http://www.kevinscatalog.com/M...productinfo/38-3159/

They are my favorite. Lightweight, flexible Vibram sole, ankle protection, not at all hot for my feet, good scramblers for going uphill and good cushion for my bulk.

I wear them at my ranch out here in Blackwell, TX. Not scared of pear cactus or mesquite thorns while wearing these.

Performed at the highest level for me during two weeks in Masailand TZ.

And, priced right.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in my Russells on 3 continents, they are my favorite boot; fit like a glove. Don't really care for Courtney's, although some folks rave about them. Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear Courteneys - the Hunter model, usually with gaiters in Africa. I like the low height of them, and the flat, dense rubber non-luggged soles are quiet and keep the thorns from reaching my feet. They are a fairly flat boot at the toe, and some guys say their toes are too crowded in them, but they fit me well.

I do admit that they don't have quite enough arch support for me, so I bought some Dr. Scholl's full length cushioned inserts with arch supports, and they work perfect - very comfortable.

If you order a boot custom made to your foot and they don't fit for whatever reason, you won't get your money back. Rather, they will try to "fix" them for you, and that might not work either. But if you order off-the-shelf boots online and they don't fit, you can send them back and get your money back.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
ECCO Receptors seem to fit me best.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Like Jeff says - Merrells.

Any problem with the thorns etc.?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Positive experiences like that are exactly why I got measured and ordered some. Fast forward four months and box of Yetti shoes arrives in the mail. Here's how the phone call went:

"Hey, this is Will Parks down in Alabama. I received these boots in the mail today and, funny thing, they are way too big. They are the right color and model, but I'm talking about way, way too big. These boots could not have been made for me or from the measurements taken of my feet."

I really don't think the person you talked to at Russell's was saying that you are stuck with what they sent you(I sure hope not!).

I had a pair of Russell's that arrived WAY WAY off, the worst pair of boots I have ever seen-no joke. I was so disgusted that I left them in the back of the closet for 6 years. $300+ dollars and they were worthless.

I used to always bitch about Russell whenever their name was mentioned on this forum. Someone finally told me, "stop whining and send them back so that they can make it right".

Well I finally sent them back with a polite note and the measurements that I had them do at SCI after I received the FUBARed pair. I two months later I received my replacement pair. They are perfect! They are not only the best fitting pair of boots I have ever owned, they are also the best looking. I wore them to work to break them in and several female coworkers complimented me on them. I have never had anyone complement me on my footwear. I though women only did that with each other...

If I were you I would send them back. My guess is that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Russell got it right for me--two pairs, two measurements (sheep boots with 2 heavy socks, kalahari mocs thin socks). Did the measurements myself from overseas and sent them the tracings by DHL. Both pair fit perfectly and the boots are the most comfortable I've ever worn.
However, it seems they screw up royally from time to time. Most seem to get it worked out in the end, though. All I can say about the guy you talked to on the phone is that he must have a degree in customer service from Moscow State University.
I like Courteney's too, but like others find them better with a good insole.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Near as I can figure if you luck out on the custom fitting process you'll be happy with your Russells. If not your screwed. My PH's are a perfect fit and just right if you don't need any ankle support. I hear too many complaints though to recommend them without reservation. I've actually had a couple of pairs of Rocky boots as Ravenr suggested that were just fine.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three pair of Russells, two I had to send back to be stretched because they were too narrow on arrival. I was measured at SCI all three times. The latest was a pair of Joes Special PH's and they are the most comfortable, best fitting boots Ive ever had. These however were the ones that were right the first time. I dont wear the other two much cause they still arent quite right. Its not suprising to find my feet are 1/2 size different. Most folks are like that Im told. I think that Merrills, Danners, Columbia are just fine for Africa. Having said that I wouldnt give up on Russell, send them back and see what happens.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a safari where I wore (or tried to) a pair of broken-in (wearing at work) but virgin to hunting pair of Russel PH's. They do fit OK and they were doing fine until the day we had to walk in water. Then all hell broke loose.

The insole came un-glued an buunched up under my arch. I tried rplacing it twice to no avail. I then just took them out and finished the days hunting. Got blisters in multiple spots cause foot slips around with out insole.

Wore a pair of Courtneys the rest of the time with band-aids on my toes.

Needless to say...the Russells are going back for repair with a scathing note!!!

A $500.00 pair of hand-made boots made for hunting that could not handle a little water...Jeez!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Will-

Call and ask for Ralph. Tell him they're not right and you need them re-made ASAP. In my experience (six pairs and sent two back but had them returned within a month and fit perfectly)they'll make them right. BTW Ralph isn't very warm and fuzzy but has always fixed whatever the issue may be.

In fact, my first ordered pair came in too large also. I put them on, took pictures to show how they fit and then boxed them up with the pics and sent 'em back.

My feet require that all of my boots/shoes be custom made, so as a result I've dealt with at least six or seven different makers and believe me it's pretty standard to have an occasional pair not fit right. Examples: I have two pairs of Gary Loveless boots in which the first pair had to be returned for being too large. Just told him to re-make them and he did. Also have a few pairs of Whites and one showed up with the screws that attach the soles poking up through the insole!! I don't understand how these things happen but they do I guess....

Make them fix 'em!!

One more thing to add: if you have relatively normal feet and can easily find shoes off the rack then there is no way I would have custom shoes/boots made. IMO it's not worth the expense and hassle and besides, I doubt the fit will be any better either.

Good luck,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will,
I used these merrells in Zim and Tanz. last year: http://hikingbootsbestprice.co..._Mid-B000KR1CUK.html

They are without goretex and although they have a lug on the sole it is really soft and I think quite quiet. Thorns weren't really a problem thru the mesh-but the grass seeds with the pointy ends in the save could quite easily work their way thru. I picked them out of the mesh every night, they just worked deeper and deeper into the mesh like a porkypine quill until they found my tender tootsies underneath.

other than those grass seeds I thought they were great, nice and cool and comfortable as running shoes to walk in all day. In tanz. those grass seeds either weren't there or had already fallen by that late in the season so no problems at all there. I also had a pair of crepe soled suede desert boots in both places but I found the merrells to be so much cooler and more comfortable I wore them alot more.

One of the all leather merrels posted earlier would be pretty comfrtable and much more thorn/grass seed proof but I'm sure quite abit hotter than the ventilated ones.

As a side note in tanz. Paddy Curtis (PH) wore a pair of old canvas tennis shoes and his feet were so wide his little toes had worn thru the sides and hung out over the edge- he thought they were great! Not very much thorn or seed resistance there.

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, to each his own, but I've had these for 5 yrs., and they are great. Wore them in RSA, 2 yrs. ago, and they were excelent in the thorns. I'm still wearing them.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...cat601233&hasJS=true

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Statistically speaking....Russell Quality = High mean AND high variance.

It is a several hundred dollar gamble where you will be in the WIDE bell curve of Russell "quality".

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Statistically speaking....Russell Quality = High mean AND high variance.

It is a several hundred dollar gamble where you will be in the WIDE bell curve of Russell "quality".

I believe "gamble" is not the right word. Russell will make them right, even if they have to make an entirely new pair. That is what they did for me.

If there is a gamble it is not money, but time that you are going to lose.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I walked right out of a pair of Russells several eyars ago in Zim. The sand apparently chewed up the thread. The PH said he ahd seen it happen with Russells previously. We laced stitched them back together using one of those hand held gizmos. I sent them back to Russell. They offered nothing, nada, zip. Toughski-shitski.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will:

Unfortunately, your recent experience is not unique. It seems that Russell's QC is a hit or miss thing especially when it comes to custom sized orders. I have had good luck, albeit my last order was 15 years ago, but my orders were for std sized boots with some custom options. South 40 Birdshooters, chukkas, Onieda moc's. I keep resoling my South 40's and hope I don't need new upland hunting boots soon.

In 2005, I planed a buffalo hunt in the Zim Lowveld and needed dry weather boots. I have a pair of Courtney Safari's and while comfortable for short periods on level ground, they loosen up and my feet seem to slide around creating hot spots and blisters after long hot hikes even with good Smartwool socks. I decided to get new boots.

I researched alot and decided that military style desert boots seemed a good option. I then looked all over the internet and came upon Converse Foot Pursuits. I talked with www.desert-gear.com and ordered a pair. WOW! It was like wearing tennis shoes. They were so comfortable yet provided support and protection. Not too high either. I lucked out as they fit perfectly. I wore them every day of that hunt and again last year in the East Cape of RSA where the terrain was very hilly and rocky but once again they provided comfort and support.

Unfortunately, Converse decided to discontinue this model in 2008/2009. I happened to notice this and bought 2 more pair at close out prices of around $40.00/pair! What a deal and I now have 3 pair which should last me until I quit African hunting in the distant future.

With that being said, Converse, Bates, Corcoran, Danner, etc. all make fine uninsulated non GoreTex military styled desert boots. Most require little break in. Pair them up with a set of Boyt gaiters and you are good to go.

Check out www.desert-gear.com amd www.lapolicegear.com for lots of options.

Good luck.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Columbia or Merrell hikers..

If flat and sandy, Keen climbing sandels...

Haven't needed anything heavier or more support in Africa.

I wear Kennetreks over here hunting in AZ for mountain hunts.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Will: I ordered a pair of Thula Thulas last year and they were too long when they arrived. I sent two email messages; one not so nice, and Ralph (the owner) called me. I took them back to the SCI Convention in January, was re-measured by Ralph, and am now awaiting the replacement Thula Thulas. They were supposed to be here around the middle of April. Still no Thula Thulas. I have sent two more email messages and was told in a reply email message yesterday by Patty that she was going to check with their production manager and get back to me. Nothing so far.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
They offered nothing, nada, zip. Toughski-shitski.

And that, along with the time involved in dealing with this crap, is what makes Russell a "gamble". $500 for a pair of shoes that they themselves measured you for and built....and the product still needs to be mucked with to make work? F(*# THAT!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That's too bad about the Russell's they've always done good work for me. Another option is to wait until you are over there and get yourself some Courtneys for about half the price they are over here. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that we should send these threads to Russell's Customer service dept. Personally, I have a pair of Russell Safari PHs and they fit great and are very comfortable. I might call them a little big if I were pressed but they were a standard size 10 1/2 D and not a fitted pair. I typically alternate wearing days with Russells and Courtneys.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will - Merrell makes all kinds of hiking/walking type shoes and boots, and damned if I do not know the ones that I have. I use the shoes when hunting elephant, giant eland, buffalo, etc, love em. I also use the hikers, which are not actually boots, but like 3/4 light hiking boots, in Africa as well. Always worked well for me.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Call Russell's and ask for Ralph (I believe that he owns Russell's) and he'll make it right with you. Ralph can be a tad brusque, but maintain your cool and don't take it personally -- he knows how to make boots and deep down wants to make his customer's happy.

I've had a few pairs of boots made there from my own African hides and that takes a little extra coordination, but a little patience has always yielded a superior product that was more than worth the trouble. I don't know if my feet are "different" from normal, but I do know that I've never been happy with ready made boots and I couldn't be happier with the boots Russell's has made for me. I'd give up my favorite gun before I'd give up those boots - especially after ten or twelve miles on foot in the November sun of East Africa.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote