THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Problem with Russells - Answers, Advice
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Russells - Answers, Advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there must be a trend.
I have been fitted twice at Dallas and ordered my boots from there.
I was to have them for my May hunt but they did not get here as scheduled. Reason I sent them my Cape Buffalo hide they made the boots but did not use my leather. I refused the order. Then talked with Rus he said I could have them for half price. I said ok. They where here went I came back from Africa. Well they dont fit, right foot like one size to small. Had the Gortex liner put in they must not have adjusted for it.
Also I seen a pair Bieb's got just before we went to Africa they looked funny. The soles look like size 11 and the boot a size 9 the sole stick's out as much as 1/2 in. beyond the boot. I said hope mine don't come that way
well they did. It looks weird. I need to send them back I will send them all new sketches. Yes $500 is way to much for boots. This will probably be the last pair and will get my leather back and make something else with it.
I heard from a few people at the Dallas show there where many problems and returns with the Russ's.
Oh well by the way my Rolex died in Africa!!!!! Good thing I had a Walmart back up

Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, sorry to hear about the Rolex Wink and all the other trials and tribulations. Wally World saves the day again!! dancing Contact me for sure on the other deal.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Well there must be a trend.
I have been fitted twice at Dallas and ordered my boots from there.
I was to have them for my May hunt but they did not get here as scheduled. Reason I sent them my Cape Buffalo hide they made the boots but did not use my leather. I refused the order. Then talked with Rus he said I could have them for half price. I said ok. They where here went I came back from Africa. Well they dont fit, right foot like one size to small. Had the Gortex liner put in they must not have adjusted for it.
Also I seen a pair Bieb's got just before we went to Africa they looked funny. The soles look like size 11 and the boot a size 9 the sole stick's out as much as 1/2 in. beyond the boot. I said hope mine don't come that way
well they did. It looks weird. I need to send them back I will send them all new sketches. Yes $500 is way to much for boots. This will probably be the last pair and will get my leather back and make something else with it.
I heard from a few people at the Dallas show there where many problems and returns with the Russ's.
Oh well by the way my Rolex died in Africa!!!!! Good thing I had a Walmart back up

Larry

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Mike70560 - Having the camp staff bow down in reverance of your Russells does surly justify the exaggerated expense???? Roll Eyes

For me it costs $75.00 more to attend DSC in Dallas than SCI in Reno for four show days from here in New Mexico, but we have beat that horse to death numerous times here also.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

My point is if I want to buy something no matter what it is it is my business. You do not know if people are buying for ego or because they like the boot. Never once on AR I have I read that someone owns Russell boots as a status symbol. The ego thing can be said for any expensive item although most of the time untrue.

The bowing thing was a joke, they cared about what I wore about as much as I cared about what the other hunters in camp wore.

I own a pair of Russells and they have been OK but are not the best boots I own. We ordered a pair for my wife at SCI, they did not even come close to fitting, were sent back, and still have not been shipped to us. We are less than 90 days from leaving for Moz/Zim and I am having doubts as to whether we see them before we leave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - All of my posts on this subject have been in jest as well. If someone wants to spend XXX number of dollars on anything, have at it. Guess my posts must have touched a nerve with some? $500.00 is still an overkill on this subject. Smiler

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Mike70560 - Having the camp staff bow down in reverance of your Russells does surly justify the exaggerated expense???? Roll Eyes

For me it costs $75.00 more to attend DSC in Dallas than SCI in Reno for four show days from here in New Mexico, but we have beat that horse to death numerous times here also.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

My point is if I want to buy something no matter what it is it is my business. You do not know if people are buying for ego or because they like the boot. Never once on AR I have I read that someone owns Russell boots as a status symbol. The ego thing can be said for any expensive item although most of the time untrue.

The bowing thing was a joke, they cared about what I wore about as much as I cared about what the other hunters in camp wore.

I own a pair of Russells and they have been OK but are not the best boots I own. We ordered a pair for my wife at SCI, they did not even come close to fitting, were sent back, and still have not been shipped to us. We are less than 90 days from leaving for Moz/Zim and I am having doubts as to whether we see them before we leave.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike - All of my posts on this subject have been in jest as well. If someone wants to spend XXX number of dollars on anything, have at it. Guess my posts must have touched a nerve with some? $500.00 is still an overkill on this subject.

My apology for not seeing the humor of your post. BTW mine were $300 Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - No problem and you must have got a deal? I could maybe see going $300, uh, oh, ouch? Enjoy your boots OK?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
Mike - All of my posts on this subject have been in jest as well. If someone wants to spend XXX number of dollars on anything, have at it. Guess my posts must have touched a nerve with some? $500.00 is still an overkill on this subject.

My apology for not seeing the humor of your post. BTW mine were $300 Smiler

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
What is really funny there is an argument on another thread about wearing sandles on safari.

Loin cloth, commando, and barefoot on my next trip Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to believe that a pair of Russell boots feel SO good on your feet that people are willing to order a pair, wait months for their delivery, upon receiving them discover they don't fit, and then send them back and wait another several months to receive a pair that DOES fit, and maybe the second pair won't fit either. Yeah, I know they're American made, and that's a big plus. But really, guys, what is it about these boots that makes them worth all this trouble - do they give you an ORGASM when you walk in them?

I guess I have a very standard foot, because just about every pair of size 10 1/2 or 11 light hiking boots I put on my feet fit me just great. So off-the-shelf boots are the only boots I ever buy, and I can at least put them on and walk in them before buying them. The only way I'd order a pair of custom boots is if I had a VERY unusual foot shape and was forced to do so.

I guess there are different schools of thought on this, just as there are guys who INSIST on flying through Europe with their guns on the way to Johannesburg for their safari, (to save maybe $200 on their ticket) even though they KNOW the possible disasterous mishaps that CAN and likely WILL happen with their guns and other luggage. Some people just love courting disaster, and when it happens, they look for someone other than themselves to blame.

I think the lesson learned on this thread is that if you want a pair of Russell boots that fit well, you'd better order them at least a FULL YEAR before your hunting trip starts.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote