Big maned lions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted
https://www.facebook.com/game....1381/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/game....1192/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/game....1099/?type=3&theater

Just wondering if any of you ladies and gentleman had any information about these most spectacular lions, the page states one was shot in Zambia but not in what part. Any info about those spectacular cats would be appreciated!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These were lions hunted with Jeff Rann in his early years hunting Botswana and Zambia,

I think these specific Cats were actually shot in Botswana, I will send him an E Mail and ask for some more info

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Was the Donald Trump effect the fashion at the time?

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those 2 lions I remember well. The ph's were Jeff Rann and Botie Bothma and they were taken in West Zambezi GMA, Zambia. Jeff's client was Mr. Max Gibson, I don't know the other hunters name.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well .... when there is a caption about genetics being Barbary or Abyssinian and the lions being shot in an area where either of the two never existed, it sets you thinking .... or not? stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Those 2 lions I remember well. The ph's were Jeff Rann and Botie Bothma and they were taken in West Zambezi GMA, Zambia. Jeff's client was Mr. Max Gibson, I don't know the other hunters name.

Circa 1990 or 91' if I remember correctly.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember these lion. Bothma and Rann went into this area circa 1990 and shot them along with a couple of nice sable and roan. That was the first and last I've heard of the area.

There is (or was) a wildebeest migration from Liuwa Plains National Park (?) which is surrounded by this block which I suppose the lion follow.

I also seem to remember they shot sitatunga and red lechwe, too.

The area as originally gazetted ran all the way from Angola in the North to Namibia in the South, huge. Since that time, I think the extent of the area was cut in half with only the southern half now being the West Zambezi GMA.

Does anybody know the present status of the area?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dahav:
I remember these lion. Bothma and Rann went into this area circa 1990 and shot them along with a couple of nice sable and roan. That was the first and last I've heard of the area.

There is (or was) a wildebeest migration from Liuwa Plains National Park (?) which is surrounded by this block which I suppose the lion follow.

I also seem to remember they shot sitatunga and red lechwe, too.

The area as originally gazetted ran all the way from Angola in the North to Namibia in the South, huge. Since that time, I think the extent of the area was cut in half with only the southern half now being the West Zambezi GMA.

Does anybody know the present status of the area?

The Liuwa wildebeest population has increased significantly in the past 10 years. There never was much game in the West Zambezi GMA and other than these hunts mentioned you don't hear anything about the area. I suppose if Liuwa continues to improve under the management of African Parks there could be some viable hunting on its borders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting about the increase in Wildebeest population increasing in Liuwa. I found a map on PHAZ website which shows west zambezi now split in to 2 areas i. e. Upper West Zambezi and Lower West Zambezi. There is a gap between them which is no longer part of the old GMA.

The upper west area surrounds Liuwa Plains National Park while the lower west area surrounds Sioma Ngwezi National Park.

As Safari 2 previously stated, I don't think even in 1990 there were densities of game equal to the GMAs surrounding Kafue National Park.

Nevertheless, you've got to tip your hat to Rann and Bothma and their clients for pulling out those two lion- they are both lifetime trophies!

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkhunter:
These were lions hunted with Jeff Rann in his early years hunting Botswana and Zambia,

I think these specific Cats were actually shot in Botswana, I will send him an E Mail and ask for some more info

JK

JK - All of these cats were shot in Zambia in West Zambezi GMA. The top photo is of a young Jeff Neal (my boss), the other clients were Max Gibson and Primo Andres. Jeff Neal did not hunt with Jeff Rann, the other two did.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It had to be 1990 or 1991, as the hunters didn't have AR to know what to wear on safari. Damn shame.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info gentlemen, really appreciate it. It seems the West Zambezi GMA truly had some great mane genetics, would be interesting to know if it still has lions like those!. Really interesting how all three lions seemed to share many characteristics including long draping manes that fell down on their faces. I suppose that GMA does not produce cats like that anymore as I haven´t seen any recent picture. That being said those are truly amazing cats, certainly among the best I´ve seen and no doubt the best I´ve seen come out of Zambia. (No offense Andrew Smiler)

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Sadly the gene and ALL the Lions were shot out by an unscrupulous operator who apparently sub contracted it out to some South Africans who were reported to be flying out their trophies under the radar.

Until recently only one Lioness remained but new blood has been reintroduced to the area.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Sadly the gene and ALL the Lions were shot out by an unscrupulous operator who apparently sub contracted it out to some South Africans who were reported to be flying out their trophies under the radar.

Until recently only one Lioness remained but new blood has been reintroduced to the area.

That's pathetic but completely believable. Those are the "hunters" that make us all look terrible.