Find
Notify
Tools

First PH rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted
What would be the best first rifle/calibre for a young ph (bigger than .375)? Any suggestions?

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Easy. CZ in 458 Lott.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
The ,458lott cz would be good, seeing that I know the cz's really well because I have one in .308! What about the .416rem, .404jeff, .460g&a, .450rigby rimless? Cost of ammo/reloading components is critical because I will only be an apprentice up in Tanzania, but maybe the tips would help......

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most cost effective is the 416 Rem Mag. Don't know how you would fare in Southern Africa for brass but its plentiful in the US, if you can get someone to get it for you.

Brass for the others is considerably more expensive. Also, 375 h&h brass can be fireformed if no other is available.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that out of all the exotic calibers above the 375, the only factory ammo available in South Africa was for the 416 Rem Mag. I think that was in Magnum Magazine earlier this year.

Don,t know if that holds the same for Tanzania though.

Dies for the 416 Rem Mag are also esasily obtainable from Lee, RCBS and all the major manufacturers.

If I was you I would consider the 416rm carefully. Oh and do not listen to all the rubbish about it being a hot round with extraction problems. Some early federal ammo gave problems but is does not suffer from higher pressure than a 270win or 30-06.

There are other members of the forum that will confirm this - one that pops to mind is Ray Atkinson - he has a bucket load of experience with this caliber.

As far as rifles go, if you are on a budget you could consider a Winchester Model 70 as long as its given a going over by a good gunsmith. The only disadvantage I see with them is the 3 round mag - you may not consider that a disadvantage.

The more I think about it the more I realise that the 416 Rem Mag is probably the most practical DGR caliber after the 375 h&h.

Good luck with your choice and hopefully one of these days we will get to hunt with you.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
.458 Lott will be the best choice, ammo isnt that expensive and you can alsways use .458 Win Mag ammo if you cant source Lott rounds. .458 Win Mag ammo is readily available in most countries you would be working in i assume?

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
A couple of questions, are you DG qualified? If you will be doing plains game hunts, you will not need anything bigger than a 375 H&H. If you are intrested in getting your DG rating I will go for a 416 Rigby or REM Mag. Of the factors you must consider are the availability of brass and the cost of it. First establish availability and then compare prices for the brass. I did that exercise and decided on the 416 Rigby.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
I will be doing my 2 year ph apprenticeship in Tanzania where I'll be buiding camps, roads etc. and shooting, hanging and checking baits for leopard and lion. You never know if you're going to stumble into an angry tusker while building roads in the bush, so bigger is better, and why buy a .375 now if I'm going to need something bigger when I'm DG-rated and finished with the appie-ship?

I'll also be doing anti-poaching in the concession.

I want to buy another rifle and have it licenced along with the (forced, thanks to the new FCA) renewal of my .308 licence in 2006.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
FWIW, last year in RSA a PH came the ranch we were staying at ( I enjoyed the characters we met as much as the hunting) and he was using an RSA manufactured Mauser in .416 RemMag. He said ammo was readily available there and seemed satisfied with the caliber.

He's up around Kruger and apparently gets a bit of PAC work, he had a fresh skull from a PAC lion that could tell tales on how tough a lion's life could get.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Young_ph,

404 is available in Tanzania and last time i checked with Tanganyika Arms they had 416Rigby at US$ 16=00 a round. Frowner

Hamdeni

quote:
Originally posted by young_ph:
The ,458lott cz would be good, seeing that I know the cz's really well because I have one in .308! What about the .416rem, .404jeff, .460g&a, .450rigby rimless? Cost of ammo/reloading components is critical because I will only be an apprentice up in Tanzania, but maybe the tips would help......

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite like the idea of the .400 Tembo, or its slightly shorter version. More than adequate for big game, and becuse you can use .40 S&W/10mm Auto bullets in it for gazzels/baboons and cheep practice, it makes alot of sence.

Norma are seriously looking at loading either the original version or the slightly shorter one (to work in a standard length mauser action without having to change mag box)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
young PH

First congratulations on getting to do what would seem a dream job to so many. I know you'll be doing all the grunt work but what an experience. As for your rifle and I'm sure I'll get some crap for this but I think for you the 458 Winchester Mognum might be the most practical. The guns so chambered are available from almost any manufacturer and ammo I believe is as available as anything and it has to be less expensive than 404,416 Rigby etc.

I'm guessing of course but I would think if you have to go through the hassle of buying a gun in RSA you might be more likely to find a nice used 458 than anything else.

Regardless of all the hype about past poor preformance the 458 with modern ammo is a real thumper and a huge step up in power over a 375.

Good luck,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Mark,

You may, and probably will, get crap about your advice on a .458 Win Mag for young_ph. You have my suppot though.

Bigger IS better, and a .458, be it a Win Mag or Lott, makes a bigger hole than any 416. There is also nothing 'wrong' with a CZ, they work. What really counts is that they work reliably!

I don't belittle a .416, have no experience with them. But a .458 Win Mag is very easy to download to +- 400 grains @ +- 1800 ft/sec - a near ideal impala, warthog or general lion/leopard bait, and practice, load.

young-ph, my best wishes for the long and difficult journey to full PH-hood!

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, thank you for all the help, advice and best wishes, please post some more thumb! I think that I should just shoot a few calibres mgun and see which one I like best, and which is the most affordable/practical option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THe ph's I have been with had - .375 H&H or .458 Lott in a variety of guns.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

My PH (operating in Zim for the past 11 years) uses a CZ chambered in .450 Ackley...This gun will also shoot factory .458 Win. Thus he can use his favorite loadings in the Ackley / grab-up whatever .458 Win is available out there.

Just a consideration.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
One consideration for me at least was free ammo, lots of hunters don't want to bother with taking their leftover ammunition home. My choice as a PH was the .416 Rem. mag. in a Win. Model 70. NO complaints and I wouldn't change anything if I did it again.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, go for a 416 Rem, and reload for it. Components are cheap, brass can be made from 375 H&H, dies are readily available, as is (expensive!) factory ammo. If you go for anything else listed (except the 458 or Lott), all the above still applies, but you may have trouble sourcing brass. And the ammo costs will be a whole lot worse.
On an Appies wages, that really matters!
If you don't want to reload, get a 375 or 458, either are much cheaper to feed than a 404 or a 416 Rigby. Practice is everything.
Just my thoughts, it's up to you, you are the guy who will be carrying this rifle.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, should have clarified the reason for exempting the 458 and 458 Lott from the others. The 458, components and loaded ammo are relatively inexpensive compared to say 404 or 416. And the Lott can be made from 375 H&H brass. And is easy to load for. But the recoil of either will be heavier than a 416 Rem out of similar rifles. Don't know if that is important to you, but it was a factor in my choice of the 416 Rem.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Yph,

As a professional hunter you have the responsibility of protecting your clients..Getting them out of a jam and stopping a charge...The Lott has the energy in a 500 gr to do everything you want it to and will not let you down...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YPH,
Which company will you be working for? My advice to you would be a Lott in a CZ rifle - cheap and pretty good right out of the box. If you can, have a gunsmith down south go through the action and magazine and have it thoroughly checked.....Then if you make some good tips, you can get yourself a 2nd DG caliber in a fancier custom make thumb

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
another suggestion for the 458 lott.. as the gun will also shoot 458 win, you can feed it 24/7.. and once trained to it, you wouldn't notice the recoil any more than a 375...

416rem? for a ph, in a non-reloading country? no.

375 HH for a ph with DG? I would prefer a larger one.

416 rigby? same price as the 458 lott, but none of the advantages, especially with non-reloading.

550 express.. yeah, actually, the perfect DG round.. but, and a serious but, it is a clase iv stopping rifle, not a generaly followup DG gun... recoil is about double a 458 lott (heh, we shot this combo saturday)

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non reloading country? In that case get a CZ in 458 Lott, for the reasons Bwanamich and jeffeosso put forward. Inexpensive, and good right out of the box.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Easy. CZ in 458 Lott.

I don't get it. It seems almost every thread here has blamed the CZ on poor craftsmanship, terrible feeding and functioning and stock splitting. I'm not questioning the caliber just the gun. It seems the only thing everyone has said positive about the rifle is it's "cheap".

I would think this to be a poor recommendation for an up and coming PH whose life will be on the line most days.
I realize after a good gunsmith has had this gun it probably functions well, but I think for the purpose there would be better rifles around.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
foxfire,

Most of the "problems" with CZ's are internet founded. I've had a bunch and they are no worse than any other rifle. Actually I haven't had any problems with any of them except modifying the safety to suit myself.

Practically every kid (appy) in Zim has one. So what's the problem? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxfire:
quote:
Easy. CZ in 458 Lott.

I don't get it. It seems almost every thread here has blamed the CZ on poor craftsmanship, terrible feeding and functioning and stock splitting.

CZ: Action is rough, sometimes feeding needs to be adjusted, safety needs to be changed, needs cross bolts, 2nd recoil lug, glass bedding, shorter barrel, better sights, better recoil pad.

Winchester Model 70: Action is rough, needs sharps radiused or may hang up on feeding, needs 2nd recoil lug, glass bedding, shorter barrel, maybe better sight (SS version), better recoil pad.

Remigton: Extractor breaks, bolt handle falls off, bolt opens on its own because safety does not lock it dow, gun has accidental discharge when safety is pushed off.

If you want a gun that does not require work, get a custom bolt gun in the US$10,000 price range or else a double rifle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the "problems" with CZ's are internet founded. I've had a bunch and they are no worse than any other rifle. Actually I haven't had any problems with any of them except modifying the safety to suit myself.

Practically every kid (appy) in Zim has one. So what's the problem

Will, I don't know the problem, I was making a statement based on what was read here.
There seemed to be more than a few stocks splitting, all of the 458 lotts spoken of here seemed to have feed problems. I don't know what standard gun problems are, I buy a gun and use it. It never has to go back for anything, normally.

Internet Founded I don't think so, for me there is much to much smoke to not have any fire. For my money I'd stay away from them.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
If I was in that situation and Grandpa didn't 'loan' me his H&H Sidelock .465 NE, I would go out and buy a CZ in .458 Win Mag or Lott, or a .416 Rem Mag on a M98 action.

How about a .435 PH Express? Cool

Ganyana

Please tell more about the .400 Tembo.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,
I think the company's name is JML (Jean Michel Litrien) Safaris, I'll probably be appie to Clint Taylor, he's my neighbour in R.S.A and he's got loads of experience, he shot his first buff(49 inch spread) and a lioness when he was 9 (yes, nine) years old. The buff with a .338win mag and the lioness with a .22hornet eek2!!!! His personal DG rifle at this moment is a .450rigby rimless with Barnes-x. Clint grew up in the Timbavati near Hoedspruit in R.S.A. where his dad was a game ranger.

Can anyone tell me about the .435 PH Express NITRO-X mentioned?

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Young_ph,
Send me a pm with your email and I will forward you a comparison list that Doctari has sent me a while ago. A lot of info in there. His suggestion to me was the same as Ganyana, the 400 Tembo. They must know each other. Just a joke, as far as I know they do know each other and you can take their advice. The only problem with the 400 Tembo , you got to import the barrel blank and brass will be expensive.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
I will also vote for the Lott. Out of the box IMHO gose to the Ruger RSM. I love mine and do not find the recoil bad. I have had no extraction issues and think those were in the 416 anyway. The action can be slicked up by just
working it with a drop of oil. Yes, it cost more than a CZ but by the time you do 500gr's
list, Not much more.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I would choose the 458 lott. It has plenty of power and can also shoot 458 win mag. I know the win mag has had lots of bad press but the start of all that was in the 60's when they were trying to force too much powder in the case. The powder would clump up and not burn well, to say the least. Nowadays this problem has been remedied. Also there is an abundance of this ammo all over Africa. The ammo is cheaper then most others in the same class and in a bind you can make the lott with 375 brass. It would be a no brainer for me.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by young_ph:
Bwanamich,
I think the company's name is JML (Jean Michel Litrien) Safaris, I'll probably be appie to Clint Taylor, he's my neighbour in R.S.A and he's got loads of experience, he shot his first buff(49 inch spread) and a lioness when he was 9 (yes, nine) years old. The buff with a .338win mag and the lioness with a .22hornet eek2!!!! His personal DG rifle at this moment is a .450rigby rimless with Barnes-x. Clint grew up in the Timbavati near Hoedspruit in R.S.A. where his dad was a game ranger.

Can anyone tell me about the .435 PH Express NITRO-X mentioned?

My suggestion would be to ask Clint, he's there and probably has a Hell of a lot better idea(s) about ammo avialiblity, suitable calibers, costs(s), etc. Hey, He sounds like the best source of information you could find.

Though I might be wrong, but can it hurt ask?

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put to much emphasis on caliber, most big bores are capable of killing anything that you shoot with them...I would pick a rifle that fitted me, pointed well and appealed to me..A good pre 64 Mod 70, a CZ, a new Win. M-70, a good Whitworth whatever felt right....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
500Grains
quote:
CZ: Action is rough, sometimes feeding needs to be adjusted, safety needs to be changed, needs cross bolts, 2nd recoil lug, glass bedding, shorter barrel, better sights, better recoil pad.

I had a cz in 416 a few years back. It had a second recoil lug on the barrel and came with a Pachmar Decelerator recoil pad. Have they changed these features on the new CZ 458 Lotts?

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I agree on that CZ 550 American magnum classic with a Gentry 3 pos safety and your in there in 458 lott.

You can shoot 458 Winchester with no problem and or if Hornady is available shoot the lott with the new bonded 458 bullets.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
quote:
Easy. CZ in 458 Lott.

I don't get it. It seems almost every thread here has blamed the CZ on poor craftsmanship, terrible feeding and functioning and stock splitting.

Winchester Model 70: Action is rough, needs sharps radiused or may hang up on feeding, needs 2nd recoil lug, glass bedding, shorter barrel, maybe better sight (SS version), better recoil pad.

Remigton: Extractor breaks, bolt handle falls off, bolt opens on its own because safety does not lock it dow, gun has accidental discharge when safety is pushed off.

If you want a gun that does not require work, get a custom bolt gun in the US$10,000 price range or else a double rifle.

Don't give the kid a heart attack!

For $10,000 he could have a used double.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
quote:
Easy. CZ in 458 Lott.

Or you could just buy a new CZ, run some rounds through it to break it in, and get accustomed to your new rifle, and THEN worry if anything seems wrong with it.
Seriously 500grains, where's an Appy PH going to find $10,000?
Buy the CZ, or whatever you decide to go with (stay away from weatherbys if you are not going to reload, likewise anything in 404 or 416 rigby, just too damn expensive to run!), and practice with the gun until it is an extention of your body. Once you do that, you will be way ahead in the game anyway.
In the process, you may find that some things need to be adjusted on your rifle, but I'll bet you find that it will be a LOT cheaper than $10,000.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

<allen day>
posted
young_PH, when I hunted last season with Garry Kelly Safaris in RSA, my PH was an outstanding and experienced young fellow named Mike Curry. His personal rifle was a CZ in 416 Rigby, and he's was extremely happy and confident with that rifle and caliber.

It seems to me that you could do a lot worse than to go with that exact-same package for your own use, especially if you carefully select your solid and soft-point loads..........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd read the files, written by Ganyana,
about the guide to rifle choice. His observations at the PH proficiency tests will certainly be useful
in picking the right rifle. Also, since these guys are in the same boat you and I are, as far as finances, they factor in cost as a major component, and rifle reliability really becomes an issue here as well.

A Guide to Rifle Choice for Dangerous Game

gs

PS This is too good not to read: My bible on DG rifles:

Ganyana on PH game rifles

After reading that: I would say the best way to go is two rifles: one CZ bruno, in 375 H&H, and a 458 Lott CZ for the bigger stuff, both with open sites. That way, when it becomes time to back up you are used to the long action of the CZ, and won't short stroke. Also brass would be interchangable, reloading, and, I'm guessing you would get a bunch of free 375 H&H ammunition from hunters going home.

Rifle evaluation from Zim PH Pro Exam by Don Heath

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Don Heath is full of himself isn't he?