Tools

First PH rifle
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
Don Heath is full of himself isn't he?

Yes, Don Heath is full of years of real-world, first-hand experience with dangerous game and dangerous game rifles. More such experience in his little finger than you have in your whole body.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
quote:

Yes, Don Heath is full of years of real-world, first-hand experience with dangerous game and dangerous game rifles. More such experience in his little finger than you have in your whole body.

Regards,

Terry

Major reason for hanging around here.;-)

I've got the first step done, but, I should probably take off the scope, and go with peep sites on the 375 H&H.

Terry, what set of removeable scope rings does Ray always talk about,???

Thanks

GS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GS:
[
Terry, what set of removeable scope rings does Ray always talk about,???

Thanks

GS

I'm not Terry, but to answer your question, Ray uses Tally mounts!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Looks like they make a lever action removeable set of rings, for my CZ 550.

What are the sites on an M1A, the ring at the back, ghost site? Anyone make a real rugged one for the cz's?

GS

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
quote:

Regards,

Terry

Terry you can kiss his ass if you want to, but he's not saying anything that hasn't been known since the first magnum caliber mauser sporter came out of the factory.

I have seen this article referred to many times, it's ok, but the man isn't saying anything new.

No shit, he has more dangerous game experience than I do. I am in the US Military and have done 5 tours in combat. I was a police officer in PT Barrow, Alaska and had to do anti-polar bear patrols.

I just think this article get's more hype than it's worth. If that's disrepectful then OH WAAH!

A little thin skinned today are we?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle and caliber to get is the one you can get ammo for in your particular situation

The 416 Rem is out as far as I'm concerend as you cannot find ammo for it anywhere in the RSA ! ( bar of course the 150 odd rounds I sold back to a store in Pretoria recently. Cool )

If you can get 458's or 375's readily then use that, In the RSA the Lott is an option as you can get brass but all this advice on fancy calibers becomes moot if you cannot lay your hands readliy on ammo or components.

The latter is becoming a problem as more and more gunshops shut down and restrictions are applied to those who still exist.

Remember you may no longer hoard ammo from visitors who leave you theirs as was done in the past ( 200 rounds that's all ) and to boot you are limited to powder and primers as well.

They locked up a gunshop owner last week for exceding his powder limit.

Also look to the future, what would be available if only a few gunshops remain, common occurs most common and that would be what I would be looking at ..... Just an opinion

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
While in Windhoek in August I never saw a single box of 416 Remington, so ALF is right about that.

My PH told me that it was pretty much a 308, 30-06, 375, 243, 22-250, 223, 9.3x62, 300 Win country.

Anything else would break you and no one owns one. Of course that was pure BS, as I know a few Namibian PH's with things like 9.3x70s. The idea was solid though. Get common 458 is probably as solid as it goes.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your doing the right thing by asking on this forum... the total experience would add up to a lot... But I think that I would get local opinions as well. If your rifle is a tool then get a good working rifle - don't worry about the looks. Make sure it fits you well... make sure you can handle the recoil... and find the ammo... other than that I think your on the right track with a .458 lott (or other available local ammo) in a ruger, cz, winchester, whitworth, or a custom 98... based on what I know about Africa the CZ in the Lott would be my choice. You cannot go wrong with any of these. While living in Namibia I found a quite a few gunsmiths that could sort out any problems i had with a rifle and they were cheap too - in comparison to USA. Man, I miss Africa.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Aaron, where did you live in Namibia?

I would rather live in Namibia than Italy, but I wouldn't trade it for Wyoming.

Casper, has tons of gunsmiths, gunshops, and 3 really nice ranges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99, I lived in Windhoek in Academia, right behind the Eros Airport. I met a couple guys from this forum as they came through. I love Africa so much and miss it so much it pained me even to come to this forum. I needed to take a break from Africa but I thought of her every day. She has tainted all that I am. But for my kids sake and some other issues I decided to return to the states. I was doing missions work and now am back being a pastor. The Namibian people have given me an open ended invitation to return as well as our mission but its not the right time. I think I may study relief and development and then return with more of a compassion mission (rural developement and HIV/AIDS intervention) after the kids are grown... at least the older two. I didn't hunt tons as by boys were a little too young to do it alot but we did some.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote