THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    AMERICAN AIRELINES BANS TRANSPORT OF RILES/AMMUNITION
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AMERICAN AIRELINES BANS TRANSPORT OF RILES/AMMUNITION
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just heard today that AA as of the 24/9/07 has banned the transport of all firearms/ammunition on flights going to Europe and Asia.....the thin edge of the wedge, when will the rest follow
regards Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I am ashamed to say I work as a pilot for AA. Here is the link:

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/firearms.jhtml

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm...RAC, was there much comment on the why or did it just come down from higher up with no input allowed?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Posted on another similar thread:

quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
If everyone that sees this doesn't write a stern (but yet polite and professional) complaint letter we will be doing ourselves a grave injustice in letting this go unaddressed.

Here is the mailing information:

Gerard J. Arpey
Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer
American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76155

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Might want to mention to AA, there are other airlines to choose from. My first commercial flight was with AA. I still have my Junior Pilots ring that they gave all the kids that flew on American. Guess they don't need our money now. Frowner LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent this through their web site:

To Whom it May Concern,

I would like voice my concern about the fact that American Airlines is no longer going to allow the transportation of sporting guns on their flights. I reviewed the items that American Airlines does allow in their checked baggage and see that golf clubs, surfboards, oars, scuba gear, and many other bulky items are still permitted. The only logical reason I can see for this ban would be if American Airlines is ideologically opposed to sporting guns and/or their intended use. Is this the case? If not, can you please explain the reasoning behind this ban?

Thank you in advance for your response,

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Hmm...RAC, was there much comment on the why or did it just come down from higher up with no input allowed?

Unfortunately, they don't consult me before they make their decisions. I am just a worker bee.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
http://www.aa.com/apps/utility/contactAA/EmailCustomerRelations.jhtml

The above link will take you directly to a Complaint/comment section of AA's website.

Please take the time to send a polite note voicing your opinion.

If we don't write, we have noone but ourselves to blame.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know if SCI, NRA, DSC, etc. are engaged on this issue? I for one just cancelled my reservations on AA from Jacksonville to Dallas for the DSC Convention in January and I just dropped this email at the posted website:

"Pursuant to AA's decision to prohibit the transportaion of sporting and other firearms as baggage, I would like to voice my concern regarding this ill-advised new policy. A cursory review of current items American Airlines allow in their checked baggage, golf clubs, surfboards, oars, scuba gear, and musical instruments are still permitted so clearly weight & balance are not an issue.

I contacted the Transportation Safety Administration and Homeland Security and both entities assured me it was a singular decision by your ariline and not as a result of any new policies or guidance on their part. Accordingly, the only logical conclusion I can come to is American Airlines corporate are ideologically opposed to sporting guns and/or their intended use. If that is indeed the case, I expect AA to be fully prepared to see a substantial decrease in revenue as millions of sportsmen summarily stop using AA for their travels domestically and world wide. Personally, I will no longer use your airline in any capacity, both in my personal or business travels and I will encourage all I can influence to use another carrier.

At a time when all airlines are at the nadir of economic hardship, AA's decison to eschew a significant part of the traveling public in order to make a statement, is short-sighted and economically unsound."

jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
AA's decision just cost them US$8085, as I will now be flying Lufthansa or United from Germany to California in October.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sent my complaint in via their website. Not very "Texan" of a Texas based company.

They need to realize that the business travel we book is also at stake here.

Tell them also that based on their move, you are now all for repealing the Wright Amendment to give SouthWest a fair shot at our business travel!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sent them an e mail also
daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I just e-mailed them also!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent my complaint as well.

Can we check "through" Europe to other places?

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I just sent via email a note to every hunter and firearm owner on my email list -- and the list is over 100 people long --advising them of what AA is trying to do -- and encouraging them to contact AA ---I am also in the process of personally following up with the appropriate missives to AA that I will no longer utilize their services. I cannot believe that they are trying this – very disappointing.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent my complaint to AA too!!!

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Does anybody know if SCI, NRA, DSC, etc. are engaged on this issue? I for one just cancelled my reservations on AA from Jacksonville to Dallas for the DSC Convention in January and I just dropped this email at the posted website:

"Pursuant to AA's decision to prohibit the transportaion of sporting and other firearms as baggage, I would like to voice my concern regarding this ill-advised new policy. A cursory review of current items American Airlines allow in their checked baggage, golf clubs, surfboards, oars, scuba gear, and musical instruments are still permitted so clearly weight & balance are not an issue.

I contacted the Transportation Safety Administration and Homeland Security and both entities assured me it was a singular decision by your ariline and not as a result of any new policies or guidance on their part. Accordingly, the only logical conclusion I can come to is American Airlines corporate are ideologically opposed to sporting guns and/or their intended use. If that is indeed the case, I expect AA to be fully prepared to see a substantial decrease in revenue as millions of sportsmen summarily stop using AA for their travels domestically and world wide. Personally, I will no longer use your airline in any capacity, both in my personal or business travels and I will encourage all I can influence to use another carrier.

At a time when all airlines are at the nadir of economic hardship, AA's decison to eschew a significant part of the traveling public in order to make a statement, is short-sighted and economically unsound."

jorge

Nicely put, jorge.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The policy says To/From European and Asian DESTINATIONS.

Does this mean if your DESTINATION is J'Burg S.A. or another

African airport and you're going to get there via a stop in a

European city, that your sporting arms will be OK as checked
luggage?Confused I did send in my complaint by the way. I asked why

they were choosing to send paying customers to competitor

airlines. I asked how the stock holders felt about AA turning

down that percentage of what HAD BEEN their income. I told

them I'D be choosing ANY OTHER AIRLINE for my travel,
even when I was WITHOUT a firearm to check in. lefty

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
I spoke with AA corporate travel office and they were not aware of this change. While I was on the line with them they checked and confirmed this is now in effect.

FYI, the lady I spoke with interpreted this to mean that as AA has no direct flights to Africa from US the AA portion would be from US to Europe as such the new regulations would be in effect and AA would not let your guns board as checked baggage.

She did say that this is very new and the reservations departments really did not have clear instructions from corporate.

I did tell them that I had made reservations to take my family to South Africa next year (@8K in tickets ) and have traveled over 1/2 million miles on AA and that if this policy sticks, we would be using another airline for travel in the future.

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have sent my written complaint on to them. I believe that SCI was the one that first brought this to my attention and said that their representatives would be working on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
My message has been sent as well.

Edit: I also dropped a note to Citibank, pointing out that the AAdvantage MasterCard is not much use if we can't use the miles on our hunting trips. I urged them to contact American to relay the concerns.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Here's what I sent to them . . .

I just learned that AA has decided to no longer accept sporting arms as luggage on any of their flights.

With this message, AA has just learned that I will no longer utilize their services for personal or business travel.

In addition, you should know that the internet hunting and shooting forums, boards, and sites are buzzing with this announcement so you can probably expected lowered profits at the end of this reporting period.

Good luck! I'll wave as I fly by on another airline!

Jerry Stringer
Burleson, TX
(not too far from your home base at DFW)

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
My message has been sent as well.

Edit: I also dropped a note to Citibank, pointing out that the AAdvantage MasterCard is not much use if we can't use the miles on our hunting trips. I urged them to contact American to relay the concerns.

Great idea!!!!!! clap

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
E-mail sent as well...........

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had my CFOs assistant pull our itemized travel numbers for the last five years. Called our AA rep and faxed her the printouts. $346,789.85. Until this changes we will NEVER use AA again.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbltap:
Had my CFOs assistant pull our itemized travel numbers for the last five years. Called our AA rep and faxed her the printouts. $346,789.85. Until this changes we will NEVER use AA again.

banana That's a little over 60k a month Screw em

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AA has dropped way down in terms of customer satisfaction. In the last month I've flown AA, KLM, Alitalia, Northwest, Air France, and Southwest. My wife and I agreed that AA was the worst in terms of comfort, space, cost, etc. , and that was before this announcement. (Air France in Rome took the cake in terms of arrogance.)

I used to be very proud to fly AA simply because of the name "American". They were my favorite airline years ago. They are now my last choice.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jorge:
Does anybody know if SCI, NRA, DSC, etc. are engaged on this issue?

Jorge, I received the following from email from SCI on 9/21. That's how I found out about it.................

Urgent Firearm Policy from American Airlines
It has come to SCI’s attention that American Airlines has dramatically changed their policy on carrying firearms as part of your checked baggage on international travel. This is the official language from the American Airlines website: “Effective with tickets purchased on/after September 24, 2007, American Airlines will no longer accept firearms in checked baggage to/from any European or Asian destination (except for military/government personnel with proper documentation).â€

SCI wants you to be aware of this new regulation and to know that we are working alongside other hunting and firearm organizations to have this policy rescinded..........

I haven't checked the NRA website yet.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I've sent my complaint email... don't let this thread slow down.

Anyone that intends to travel anywhere with a firearm should step up here and make a statement to AA by sending an email to them.

This anti-fireams policy is a slippery slope we can't start down.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Mine has been sent.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I sent mine to AA and CITIBANK.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Email sent as well. Be sure to ask them to contact you with a reply.

I slightly modified one of your emails to use as my own...

"I just learned that AA has decided to no longer accept sporting arms as luggage on any of their flights.

With this message, AA has just learned that I will no longer utilize their services for personal or business travel. I need to book a flight this week for travel in the US with a firearm and I will not be looking to your airline to fly me even though your policy does not affect US travel.

In addition, you should know that the internet hunting and shooting forums, boards, and sites are buzzing with this announcement so you can probably expected lowered profits at the end of this reporting period. I personally know several dozen people who spent a lot of money with you previously and none of them will be doing any future business with you because of this policy change.

I would like a reply as to why you think this is a good policy as TSA is not requiring it nor is any other carrier."

One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted Hide Post
E-mail sent!!

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I'm man of few words but here is what I sent:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have recently learned of your discriminatory policy toward the traveling sportsman/sportswoman. By banning firearms you are participating in what I believe is an unlawful act. Please correct this by banning all sporting goods. This should make your demise all the more expedient.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also sent!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30ott6, I like what you wrote!

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
sent as well...

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Me to!

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote