Find
Notify
Tools

Why shoot a hippo in the water?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I agree with Aaron. By the way, I shot mine in the water and it wasn't a cakewalk. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Where is Walter on this subject?
And is he working on the Crockapult or hippobuchet yet?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I've shot three hippo, two as lion bait in the water, and one on land in self defense (consider this a statistical anomaly). The process of shooting them in the water is fun, and while maybe not always "sporting", it does require good shot placement and is usually purposeful. And as far as the hippo is concerned, dead is dead. I’ve always considered the dry land hippo hunt something interesting for the double rifle or bow hunting enthusiasts (being able to get close), but, at this point I have a great deal more respect for them both in and out of the water as a true "dangerous game" hunt. They would make a fun hunt if somebody was to select the area and time of the year carefully, and dedicate days to it.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
They come out every night. Just stand next to the dual tracks before dark and pot one. Dry land hippo!!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or bait them on land. I hear Curmudgeon Cakes are a Hippo magnet !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Peter, I don't think you missed anything. To me, some animals are hunted, and some are "collected". I might shoot a Baboon to be done by my taxidermist as a conversation piece in my gameroom. But a Hippo is such a magnificent, aggressive, and truly dangerous animal that it seems to me that, in just sniping one floating in the water, one misses out on the potential for a great hunting experience. Not saying anything about being sporting or not....just seems like a lost hunting opportunity.

A baboon can be dangerous too, the males have a set of teeth on them, and can do some damage. I had one that we thought was dead attack us and he was ready to do some damage until I put a bullet into his side at point blank range. The hippo I shot was used for lion bait; I shot him in the water, hit him between the eyes as he came up for air. Went back to camp and had a leisurely lunch, came back and he was floating. Put some ropes on him and dragged him to shore. I would have liked to have been able to shot him on land, but it just didn't happen that way.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You could always hunt them in the water from a mokoro like some do. Boomstick -- you still think that is not dangerous game hunting?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have not thought of hunting hippo from boats. That is not how they are generally hunted when in water, but it would certainly be challenging.

Also, it has not been my experience that hippo will always flee when approached on land.

Quite the contrary. We have been among a herd of one hundred of them, in tall grass, and they were very bold. A cow and several bulls stared us down, and came within split seconds of charging us, and probably would have, if we had not backed off when we did.

I don't think that any of us can learn anything from one hippo that applies to all hippos. They are a strange and different breed of animal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I don't think that any of us can learn anything from one hippo that applies to all hippos. They are a strange and different breed of animal.

I certainly agree with the above statement! I find that they are a lot like people, and some are basically shy and would rather depart the presence of humans as long as the human doesn't seem to be between him and his water safety net. Most here do, but most of the world's population do not realize just how dangerous hippos really are.

For those here that are thinking about hunting these big bulls from a mokoro, I'd think that over a little more before trying it. Stepping between him and water for a frontal charge to stop is dangerous enough for me. But taking him on in a dug-out log, in the middle of a river, with not only the one you are trying to shoot but cows and calves as well, seems a little like a death wish to me! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles - My buddy did just that thing from a mokoro last year in Moz. He thought it was really exciting!! Most folks have never shot a hippo on land or in the water, so don't know what they are missing. Hippo hunting is a really cool, exciting and sometimes dangerous thing -- I loved it.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
You could always hunt them in the water from a mokoro like some do. Boomstick -- you still think that is not dangerous game hunting?

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, How about from a mokoro with your bow!!!!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote