THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How do you mount a Hippo? (ha, ha...)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you mount a Hippo? (ha, ha...)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted
I've booked a hunt to Zambia with Hippo on license, and was considering the different taxidermy possibilities. Anyone ever have a shoulder mount done? Reproduction vs. actual animal? Or do you think just mounting the ivory is the way to go? Appreciate the input... BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the thread on Ray Atkinson's buffalo mount, then do the opposite.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to use protection! Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from the rear shocker

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
5,000 comedians out of work and everybody wants to be one!! This is why I love these forums. Is is wrong to put makeup on the hippo first?

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Only because DOJ adn butchloc had been faster than me. Curious to know if it can be considered a Gay love or less, beeing the bulls the preys. However diving equipmen must not be forgetted because, if I remember well, they make aquatic sex. Smiler

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Make sure the head and hind legs are tideup and when she says HU HU HU RUN BECAUSE SHE IS CALLING HER BROTHER.

Hippos do it in water because you will also struggle to get a 3ton girl wet lol

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
If you have the room, my feeling is the only way to mount a hippo is a free standing pedestal type with a habitat. The hippo would have the mouth wide opened exposing the teeth.
Other than that, a wooden panel displaying the teeth with a top notch framed field photo close by makes a great addition to the trophy room.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Stefano- Non sono un finocchio, ma gli ippipotami sta meglio da nienti!! (English translation: I'm not gay, but a hippo is better than nothin'!!) BN

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Here is how I did mine: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=653106127#653106127

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Bwana Nderobo,
I love to play with double / multiple sense.

The "better an hippo than nothing" formula is not for me, neither if it was a cow Big Grin .

A tragic mind: if it only farts
animal

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Do you have a swimming pool???

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana,

If you go to the Trophy Room forum and go back a page ot two you'll find a pic of the hippo skull I have mounted. I think this is the best way to display the hippo and have it look like a hippo. It is econmical and portable.

Mark

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=436106156#436106156

Click on the link and scroll down.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have mine mounted one third to half body coming out of the water of a diorama with his mouth wide open. Quite striking to say the least. It was done by Life Form Taxidermy. I haven't taken a picture of it yet as it recently arrived, along with the full body croc mount and my rhino shoulder mount.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure it's legal in Arkansas and Mississippi, but I'm not sure about New York.........

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Stay on the uphill end and don't get between her and the water.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i guess i was wrong again; mark mounted a hippo using the front. Eeker hillbilly

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Bwana Nderobo

I would consider two options, either have a circular base with simulated water and the Hippo coming out up to his shoulders with mouth open; or have the skull cleaned and bleached and the tusks displayed in the skull.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I actually really like the looks of a hippo mount with a closed mouth. Then you can mount the tusks separately or along with the skull. To me, mounted animals usually look best posed in the way they are most often observed. A relaxed, static position always appears more realistic and pleasing to me. A skin mount will always be better than a reproduction, but realistic reproductions can be done.

As with warthogs and other animals with little hair, the paint job will make or break your mount.

If you do a hippo pedestal coming out of the floor instead of on the wall, you would want a good looking artificial water scene and base to go with it. Space, funds, and wives are the usual limiting factors.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
hell, they are the limiting factors in everything!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have mine mounted one third to half body coming out of the water of a diorama with his mouth wide open. Quite striking to say the least. It was done by Life Form Taxidermy. I haven't taken a picture of it yet as it recently arrived, along with the full body croc mount and my rhino shoulder mount.

We need photos of all that.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question

Why do Hippo mate in the water

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My line was in no way original, many years ago I shot a nice Pronghorn and was very proud. My guide said are you going to mount it, and I responded yes. He tossed me a pack of rubbers and said "I'll give you a bit of privacy". Eeker
That was lesson learned and since my responce has been no my taxidermist will! Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
dancing

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best thread in a long time. Should start a new one titled - "How Ray Atkinson would mount a hippo"... Eeker

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Jerry- Beautiful Hippo... Is that reproduction skin or the real thing? Thanx BN

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Mark- I love the look of the Hippo skull- going to keep that in mind. Great trophies too! Thank BN

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana

If I remember correctly I only have $250 in the hippo. I think it is a bargain. I had one done for a friend exactly the same and he put it on a Lazy Susan on his coffee table. Talk about a conversation piece!!!

BTW If you are hunting along the Luangwa in Zambia you will get a hippo quite easily. I've shot 3 there and each only took a morning.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yukon delta: Here are three pictures of my MOUNTED rhino, hippo and croc. I have the skulls out in the garage with the ele and giraffe. However they are not MOUNTED. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
To answer you question, "YES" I've mounted a hippo, but they're not what I'd call a fun animal to work with. Getting your guide and PH to properly prepare that hide is always a joy and if it's not salted properly, then there's that problem to deal with The one I did was brought back here and tanned here (I prefer it that way as I know what chemicals my tannery uses and the amount of stretch I can get). Tanning a hippos is extremely expensive as the hide had to stay in the pickle for weeks. It will come out numerous times during that time to be shaved and put back in. A good tannery will shave it down to where a hippo shoulder skin will fit inside a 5 gallon bucket with room to spare. Then the trouble starts. Obviously your selection of forms is quite limited in both postures and suppliers. Once you get one, getting an artificial mouth has, to date, been almost impossible. (McKenzie is currently sculpting one and that will make life easier for us.) All in all, I'd say that the reproduction head will work for your bank account much better, but it's up to you. I would suggest (and the purists are going to raise hell when I say this) that you get your tusks and teeth reproduced as well. Just like the elephant ivory, hippo teeth are going to age and going to crack - badly at times. You could have your mount and keep your tusks separate, however, some people don't like the idea of a "fake mount".

Use Enough Gun, those are some great mounts. I like your hippo much better as I'm not a fan of too much pink showing. Your eyes and eyebrows are exceptionally well done. If you don't mind my asking, who did them?

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting post and I'm amazed how little things in taxidermy make such a big difference.

Secondly, some of you guys are sick bastards. No wonder I like this site so much!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12684 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vinny:
Best thread in a long time. Should start a new one titled - "How Ray Atkinson would mount a hippo"... Eeker

Ray is 108 years old. He can barely mount a riflescope much less even think about mounting something else. lol

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Hey guys- thanks for all the great ideas! It seems as space is somewhat limited at my house, and at least a pedestal mount is called for to best show the animal, so I'll probably end up with either the skull like Mark Young did, or the nice plaque showing the ivory and a good photo with the animal.

Mark- I am hunting in the Luangua Valley with John duPlooy's Muchinga Adventures for a Buffalo/Hippo/PG safari in 2010. I'm just trying to get my space figured out as I want to do the Cape Buffalo as a pedestal, and wall space in my trophy room (i.e. finished Garage) is slowly being filled. I also want the Hyena rug- that looked great!

Here's a spin off - I know the hippo should be "brained", so does the 375 caliber minimum apply? I shoot an accurate 416 Rem, but would probably opt for a 300 win for that level of precision. Or, does anyone have any experience hunting bull hippo out of the water (where the 416 Remmy is not at all unacceptable)?

Being new here, I'd like to thank all who replied for the input, it has the mental juices flowing!!! Asante sana wote, BN

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Mr. Roof- Is there any means of "preserving" the hippo ivory, to prevent cracking with age? Without sounding silly, can they be polyurethaned or sealed with some sort of chemical to keep them from drying? I love to learn about taxidermy, but am admittedly lacking in the patience department. Thanks for your input!!

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
I'm pretty sure it's legal in Arkansas and Mississippi, but I'm not sure about New York.........

Not legal here...... but it probably is in Vegas.....anything goes there...

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did mine like Mark Young, just the skull with plastic teeth. The real teeth are mounted on a board.

The teeth are cracking and were just glued back together.

I have it sitting in my office in Anchorage with a nice big 450 hole in it's head. Rarely does anyone know what it is until they ask. Quite an interesting skull.

i also had a couple of skin panels tanned. The leather is very nice and I'm not sure what to make with it.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
How 'bout a really cool "Hippo Vest"? I have one made of mule deer hide, and being a Land Surveyor, I wear it 8 months out of the year.

Phil Massaro
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
from the rear shocker

Carefully jumping

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mounts are done by Life Form taxidermy located in White River, South Africa. They are exceptional at what they do. I have been very pleased with their work. They have my 2007 trophies and will have my 2008 trophies as well. By the way, those are the original hippo tusks and the original rhino horns. I am told that the original croc skull and teeth are in the full body mount as well. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
oh my God!! you work was actually done in RSA? that should send some folks on this forum through the "roof".

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote