THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How do you mount a Hippo? (ha, ha...)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you mount a Hippo? (ha, ha...)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it's already sent folks through the roof before. But who cares? By the way, here's some more pictures of the three:

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
jdollar, actually I strongly suspected the work was done in Africa when I say the quality of the eyes. The crock was the give away as the coloration is not what most of us would have chosen. With the use of the real teeth and tusks, that's also another RSA habit because of the expense and talent required to cast reproductions.

I'm sorry to tell you that there's nothing you can do to prevent the teeth from eventually cracking. In America, we gave up using real teeth in the 1970's just because of that. As the ivory and enamel dry on the outside, the nerve and associatied tissue running inside the tooth starts to expand. Nothing is going to stop it. Not even the best epoxies will counter the natural progression of "decay" of those teeth. Certainly there's the possibility that WE may never see it as it's a slow but inevitble process, but if your widow doesn't sell them at a yard sale, her new boyfriend may see it. LOL

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BN,

You'll be in excellent hands. We represent Johnnie DuPlooy and have had many very happy clients with him. John & Laura put on an excellent safari and are fantastic to do business with. His areas on the Luangwa are top notch for cats, buff and all the rest.

The shear numbers of hippo and croc in the river will blow your mind.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I was given the choice by Life Form Taxidermy of the real tusks and horns in the mounts, or reproductions, but I chose to go with the real tusks and horns in the trophies, as I'm only going to live once. George's comments about the teeth are very true, however. I have seen some of that with the teeth in my lion skull over time. The croc's eyes are strikingly yellow with that familiar croc "slit"-they seem to follow you around the room.

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
oh my God!! you work was actually done in RSA? that should send some folks on this forum through the "roof".

Quality stays quality doesnt matter where you get it. lets not get in the desert making discussion again lol

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
Bwana Nderobo

Baby oil works well to prevent cracking for both Elelphant and Hippo ivory if applied on a regular basis.

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Brad's quite right......... I've found the Johnson's clear baby oil is the best. Avoid the pink version though, as it'll colour the ivory slightly.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Baby Oil it is then, and thank you for the advice. I can hear it now:
"What are you doing?"
"Uh, just oiling my ivory"
"You'll go blind if you keep doing that!!"

Mark- thanks for reassuring me about Johnny. I searched the net before I laid down the deposit and quite literally, I couldnt find a negative word about him. I am most excited about this safari. BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks UEG. More quality work from those guys. I just like everything they have done for you. clap

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, contact a swimming pool builder.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Hey you are playing with gasoline near the fire.
This topic started with a provoking question ( oh yes Bwana Nderobo, you did, putting that laugh between parenthesis) and now you are begining to speak about baby oil qualities Roll Eyes and you Bwana Nderobo and your joke about oiling your Ivory ...... you want me start again with other and more red hot witty remarks
jumping

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Not to get to technical about taxidermy here, but would hippo tusks keep from cracking if the cores were drilled out and filled with some sort of epoxy. Now I know you would never do this with elephant ivory, but who cares if the center of hippo ivory is hollowed out if it is being permanently mounted in a form anyway? Maybe a taxidermist out there can speculate.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hippo ivory won't crack if you give it regular doses of oil anyway, so it doesn't need drilling out. How often you should oil it, will depend on temperature and humidity variations in your local area. Wink

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Bwana Nderobo, if your still taking votes, I'd go with the skull mount. I've seen a couple of them in person and they are quite striking. If space is an issue, the skull is pretty good sized, you could always have you taxidermist mount it under a piece of glass to make it into a coffee table.

Use Enough Gun, those are some very impressive mounts you've got there. I think the rhino is the best I have ever seen. In the first picture of the croc you posted it looks like the steenbok is a bit suprised to see the croc. You said the skulls were sitting out in the garage, does that include the rhino skull? I'd be interested to see what it looks like (not to mention the rest of your trophy room). How big was the crate for all of these?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the rhino skull is out in the garage, still wrapped in plastic. I will see if I can get a picture of it, along with the hippo skull and post. Actually, I had two huge crates arrive this year. The biggest crate was 15 feet long, 5 feet high and 4 feet wide. The other crate was 8 feet long, 5 feet high and 4 feet wide. It took 8 guys to get the biggest crate off of the Yellow Line Truck and into the garage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The hippo in that pool is remarkably self-controlled. The water is so sparkly. pissers

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Yes, the rhino skull is out in the garage, still wrapped in plastic. I will see if I can get a picture of it, along with the hippo skull and post.

If you've got the camera out, don't forget some pictures of the rest of your tophy room. I'd love to see your other trophies.

(Sorry to Hijack the thread)

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
Sevens- Hijack away!! I'd like to see any and all pictures of this kin of stuff, you never know what's out there.

Stefano- you're right. I put the Ha-ha's in for a reason. As serious as I take this stuff, laughter is an important part of a nutritious breakfast. Please, more sarcasm!!

I might have asked before, but I'll throw it out again: Anyone have any experience hunting hippo out of the water? I'd love to hear the stories!! BN

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote