New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Can Go In Your Gun Case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think this may have been covered before, but please bare with me.
If you are flying from the U.S. to Africa via Europe, what can you carry in your Gun Case beside your gun?
Ammo, Cleaning Kit, etc.?

Thanks for any info.

Mauserk98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
Anything but ammo.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a golf-bag type of case. I can pack a rifle and everything else I need in it. A SAPS guy one time told me that I couldn't do that. I asked him where that regulation came from, and he had no clue. I'm sure he just made it up. Ten safaries and never had a problem.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opus72:
Anything but ammo.

Yes anything but ammo in the same caliber as the rifle.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to have the best chances of your gun going thru the bomb detection machine without you opening it, don't put anything liquid like oil, etc. Just plain guns seems to sail right thru every time.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Always a good idea to look up and print out and take with you the firearms transportation policy of every airline you are flying on. I have had to pull them out and show them to ticket agents before when they started telling me this and that could not be in my baggage.
Thank you Terry Carr!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
SAA will give you grief if you carry more than a rifle in your rifle case.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me and two friends flew SAA from the States to Moz via Joberg last year and put all kinds of things in our guncases, Tuff Paks. Items included but not limited to things such as boots, extra clothes, flashlights, knives, extra scope, cleaning kit, favorite food snacks, bog pod shooting sticks, camera tripod and such with no problem anywhere along the line.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

[he QUOTE]Originally posted by ozhunter:
SAA will give you grief if you carry more than a rifle in your rifle case.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got busted once in JHB for having a bottle of Amarula in the case returning from Zim, made me take it out and leave it with him!! Didnt feel like arguing,,,,,,,

Posts: 185 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kld:
Got busted once in JHB for having a bottle of Amarula in the case returning from Zim, made me take it out and leave it with him!! Didnt feel like arguing,,,,,,,

You wuz robbed ! Pretty much standard procedure in these parts. Eeker Why didn't you pick it up at the duty-free? Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a gift from the outfitters wife in Vic Falls.

Posts: 185 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 3 trips I've used the extra space for some of my clothing to help cushion my rifle & scopes.
Made sure my ammo was in another case inside a lockable box.
Never had any problem.
In Joburg they confiscated my sm. roll of elec. tape from my backpack, still haven't figured that 1 out yet.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Last March when returning from a hunt in Eastern Cape, I had packed a lot into my Tuf-Pac to fill the space (identically packed for flights from Denver to Atlanta to Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth and back to Johnanesburg) including a medical kit with anti-malarials, immodium, levaquin, pepto-bismal, ibuprofen, etc. which prevented the last SAPS officer from clearing the gun case to board the Delta flight. SAPS/Delta had had physical control of the case for over 4 hours prior to departure time and we were pulled out of line boarding to be told this... I was told by Delta I could make the flight, leave the gun case with SAPS and probably not see it again or stay and have the case gone through (gone through again, actually as this had been done earlier in the boarding process by a differnt SAPS officer and the Delta representative to verify serial numbers for departure) as the officer who cleared for boarding said there were "too many pills" and "he wanted to search the case". All at Delta, other SAPS officers (including the one who issued me a 24 hour extension on my SAPS Firearms permit so we could stay another night in J-burg with the firearm) were very polite, apologetic and professional and all ended well, but it did delay our departure 24 hours. They also advised only "gun and hunting stuff" in a gun case to prevent the same type of thing in the future as this was happening more often with that officer (all who became involved seemed to know who he was) wanting to go through gun cases at the last minute. A similar thing may not happen again but my medical kit will be in a bag that can be opened more easily when I go back next time. The same kit (excluding the anti-malarials) has been to Europe, Mexico, and Africa many times without incident previously and to Germany since without a problem.

Best,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Here in New Zealand they require us to take the bolt out and store it separately. Ammo is separate of course.

Once I bought a .22 Brno Mod2 while travelling & so i put the rifle in the luggage but the bolt in my laptop bag. I was stopped at the security xray & tol that the bolt had to go into the checked bagage!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSA regulations specifically permit ammunition (of any caliber) to be carried inside the gun case. However, individual airlines can, and some do, restrict this as they see fit. In 2007, I carried ammunition in my gun case on Delta to FRA and Air Namibia to Windhoek. Neither airline had a problem.

If you have to travel through Johannesburg (to be avoided if at all possible) a whole new set of written, unwritten, and made-up rules apply. Most of those rules are created to be solved through the timely and judicious application of U.S. currency to the problem.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another question in this area.
Can my friend and I put both of our rifles in my TuffPack, or do we need separate gun cases?

Going to Bulawayo Zimbabwe in late July July via J'burg.

Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
quote:
Originally posted by opus72:
Anything but ammo.

Yes anything but ammo in the same caliber as the rifle.
Do these provisos address black powder, musket caps, and ML bullets?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1512 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be no problem with both guns in your Tuff Pak, just make sure you are both together and each has their own seperate paperwork ready when you reach the inspector. Most likely they will only be interested in seeing the serial number, maybe the calibur markings on each rifle. Good luck.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Another question in this area.
Can my friend and I put both of our rifles in my TuffPack, or do we need separate gun cases?

Going to Bulawayo Zimbabwe in late July July via J'burg.

Thanks

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just remember that if anything isn't going to show up at your destination its probably going to be your gun case

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote