THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .375 in the guts - part II with weight and size

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 in the guts - part II with weight and size
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Quote:

Below please see 2 views of a .375 H&H bullet recovered from the stomach lining of my buffalo. The buffalo was completely recovered, healthy and fit when I shot and killed him. The .375 had lodged in the bull's stomach lining. Although perfectly expanded, it did not have the gusto to penetrate to the vitals on what appeared to be a quartering away shot. If the bullet had penetrated deeper on a quartering away shot, it would have gone entirely through the paunch, then the liver, then into the lungs.

BULLET WEIGHT: 258 grains

EXPANDED DIAMETER: .68 x .69 inches

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just trying to stir up trouble again.

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
500grains
As I said before that is a pretty impressive find. Thanks for sharing it the story and photos.

I do have one question, if this had been a 500 grain .470 soft of similar construction with an expanded diameter of say 0.8648 would it have reached the vitals?

I am interested to hear what you think.

Jason

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[qupte]* * * You are ignoring this user. * * *

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J Brown,
I can tell you that the 375 will out penitrate the .470 N.E. and most other calibers, but penitration is not the ONLY criteria to killing power just one of them..The problem here is bullet choice..On Buffalo one should always use a solid in the smaller calibers. In fact I use them in all calibers..But the monolicthics seem to have a large following as the best of both worlds..I have seen a soft point fail in the .470 on two or three ocassion as most American hunters like softs. Softs are fine but they are not for head shots on buffalo, and they don't do real good on spine shots sometimes...Some hunters forget which barrel the soft is in on their doubles and that has caused problems..when the .470 has two solids in it then the problem is solved and you can take any shot thats offered IMO.

One never knows just why a bullet is found in game, but it is not uncommon and a million reasons could have caused the bullet in question to be where it was...as I stated in my post I found a bullet that had penitrated both lungs to the opposite side and was in a wad of callus tissue and healed..that one should have killed the bull but he was fully recovered...The new Man Magnum gives such reports as this btw.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
Please,what are the differences in materials and construction of solids-monolithic solids-soft-soft monolithic.

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
monolithic solid:

Barnes: brass

GS Custom: copper

regular solid:

Woodleigh: copper alloy jacket, steel liner, hardened lead core

Speer AGS: copper alloy jacket around tungsten carbide core

Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer: jacket of come type of copper or brass alloy (brass is mostly copper) with a lead core.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer compare as solids go?

Thanks for your time,

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote