Find
Notify
Tools

The White Rhino (by Zig Mackintosh)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The White Rhino: A Conservation Success Story

This South African film features some of the strongest voices for conservation in Africa; including Dr. Ian Player, the man most responsible for bringing the White Rhino back from the brink of extinction, Dr. Bandile Mkhize, CEO of Ezemvelo Kwa-Zulu-Natal Wildlife, Land-Use & Wildlife Economists Mike Norton-Griffiths and Michael t'Sas-Rolfes, and more.

The 3 minute promotional video at the registration link (and below) outlines some of the topics covered in the film.

Register Here: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/th...y-tickets-9331407491

This is a Harvard Extension Environmental Club exclusive film presentation authorized by the film's producer: Zig Mackintosh.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
CRAP, I tried to see the video and have somehow registered myself to go see the movie live Eeker
Not very computer savy

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess you'll have to be there. Better get started; I figure its about a 10,000 mile commute. Smiler

(No problem; at least you've kept this thread alive! - S)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow - thhis looks awesome - well done Zig!! Please let us know when this film becomes available online - it will be a great resource!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted Hide Post
Matt, thanks for that. I shall post an online link to the movie after Steve's presentation. 7000 copies of the movie were sent out with the latest African Hunting Gazette.

Steve must be commended for arranging this presentation at Harvard University. I don't know if the type of people who will be attending the presentation are ever exposed to these kinds of movies. We need more people like Steve out there promoting the role of hunting in conservation to academics.

I am surprised by the lack of interest shown in this thread, 250 odd views, and the lack of support for what Steve is doing. I suppose it is more fun to bash, SCI, Boddington, Sullivan and each other than to show interest in a conservation topic.

Good luck Steve, I hope that you have a full house.

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally would love a copy for the lodge and / or a short YouTube link to put on Facebook if possible.

Dave Davenport
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Many of us will be following developments re this video with great interest. Keep us posted on how the showing at Harvard goes. Thanks.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
beer
Thanks for you work.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I brought the idea for showing Zig’s film to the Board in July, knowing that it would be a hard sell, but also knowing that this is an important story and an important film. I held a preview of the film for the President and Vice President of the club so they would understand what it was all about. They agreed that it was appropriate for an Environmental Club event.

I wanted to kick-off the semester with it, knowing that we would probably get a bigger crowd than later in the semester when everyone is writing papers and cramming for exams. It was set for September 20th.

Then I hit a bunch of roadblocks and began to think it would never happen. Some of the Board-members began to express concerns over the film’s content and I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it back on track. Finally it was set for December 13th. In the meantime I made the promo-video and poster and did my best to get the word out.

Unfortunately, there were several competing events on the same night and lots of people were, in fact, too busy writing papers and cramming to attend. Then the temperature dropped to about 12 degrees F. (-11 C.). Still, (or only) about 18 or 20 people showed up. I introduced the film and tried to prepare the audience for what I knew would be, at best, hard for many of them to accept.

As the film rolled and it started to become clear what the film was all about, 3 or 4 people just walked out. After it ended I stepped up to the podium for the Q&A and asked what people’s reactions were. An evolutionary biologist and University Professor (he didn’t say from where; maybe Tufts or BU – probably not Harvard), said he found the film “very upsetting”, and quietly began to explain why, but his emotions began to get the better of him and as I addressed each of his concerns, he got angrier and angrier.

Then another audience member who had some familiarity with the issues came up and tried to enlighten the Prof. I just let them go at it for awhile. Then I showed some slides and explained how sustainable-use has expanded throughout southern Africa, restoring wildlife populations, increasing habitat and empowering local communities.

The Prof kept trying to control his anger but as he ranted on and on, less and less of what he said made any sense and the audience began to turn against him (as I perceived it). This went on for quite awhile until his wife finally had to grab him by the coat and drag him out. He kept turning back toward me making accusations (typical anti-hunting stuff we've all heard before) until his wife finally got him out the door. It was something of a scene.

At the social afterwards, there was general agreement amongst the Board members that if I could arrange a re-viewing next semester in a larger venue and with more support from the University, it would be worthwhile. We’ll see. Chances of that happening are pretty slim but I’ll give it my best shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did your best. It is always interesting when some people can't see reason. I would say that you did the best you could with those you had t work with. Too bad it couldn't have been shown earlier in the semester as you originally planned. Bruce

Posts: 375 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Well done and thank you very much for putting in the time and effort to screen the movie. We have had a couple of showings of the movie in the area in which I live. The idea was to try and get some feedback from the general public. We must have had 60 or so people at each showing. A couple of the people that attended are known rabid anti-hunters but what was amazing was that at the end of the movie they came up and congratulated me and asked how they could be of some help!

I have also directed people to the movie online through this article/discussion (you will have to scroll right down to find my comments):

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za...killer/#.Uq3ddBZj1SU

I don't know if any of the antis that posted on that forum took the time to watch the movie. If they did they certainly did not comment on it. There were over 300 plays of it though. As I mentioned earlier in this thread 7000 copies of the movie were sent out with the latest African Hunting Gazette.

The movie can be viewed online here:

http://vimeo.com/user17366897/.../62993549/5d4c0a42b3

If anyone is interested in having a showing of the movie in their home town please email me and we can make a plan. I would suggest inviting a cross-section of the public rather than just hunters, it provides far more entertainment that way!!

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Zig

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9876 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zig and Steve,

Really appreciate your efforts. Steve it takes guts to do what you did in that hostile enviroment. I'm sure the professor you mentioned thinks of himself as aliberal open minded person. Interesting how he reacted when confronted with facts that challeged his beliefs.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Zig and Steve,

Really appreciate your efforts. Steve it takes guts to do what you did in that hostile enviroment. I'm sure the professor you mentioned thinks of himself as aliberal open minded person. Interesting how he reacted when confronted with facts that challeged his beliefs.

Mark

I'm getting better at dealing with these people and I learned a lot from having to respond to his attacks from the position of host and moderator in an intensely academic environment where everything you say is immediately called into question.

I even thanked him a couple of times for coming and expressing his views.

I think these people are used to having their previously-held views reinforced at these events; that “we (they) are the good guys and we’re winning” and so go away feeling good about themselves; but the message of this film is that “you (they) are the bad guys and you’re losing (at least in southern Africa)” – and they just can’t handle it. They’ve just got too much invested in the idea that hunting and hunters are inherently bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They’ve just got too much invested in the idea that hunting and hunters are inherently bad.

Correct and that idea cemented in their heads blocks any further idea entering their minds beyond the fact that animals are killed. Brain function stops beyond the words kill and animal in the same sentence.

Once again I applaud your efforts in a hostile enviroment.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job. I have had my run in with these people, it's really tough for them to see reason.

As Mark says there is no sugar coating it, no matter how we word it ,we kill animals.

We need to get the benefits across. Good job on this project

Dave Davenport
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
beer Steve! Good job!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36686 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bud.