Find
Notify
Tools

Tough decisions ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
My father and I will be huntin with Karl Stumpfe in Namibia this coming November.

A single Trophy Elephant is the main item on the agenda.

We (actually "I" since my father does not yet know we are going) were all set to go to the Sobbe area of the Caprivi strip for my elephant and for plains game for him. The plan had been that after I took my tusker (assuming I was successful), we would change gears and go for whatever he wanted - probably Roan or Gemsbok. A friend had gotten a Gemsbok and my father thought it so beautiful that is what he would like to get "If we ever make it back to Africa. A Gemsbok or a Leopard - that's all I would want."

He has no interest in Elephant.

So I thought we were set.

Sobbe for 12 day safari. Plenty of elephant, average tusk size 45-50 lbs. Maybe a charge or two. Then off for Plains Game for dad.

Suddenly I get word from Karl asking if I would prefer 14 days in Khaudum. Fewer elephant but maybe a bigger tusker ...

And - here is the kicker ...

chance at a Leopard ...

My father will be 73 in November. Good health overall - still works on the docks 7 days a week. Fell on ice and broke his right shoulder a couple of months ago but all healed and rehab going well. He'll be ready come November.

I can't count on being able to go back with him while he is still able to do it. I look at this as potentially the last African safari we make.

So ...

Sobbe - more excitement as there are more albeit smaller-tusked elephant + PG for pop

Khaudum - fewer elephant so less minute to minute excitement but chance for bigger tusks + chance at leopard for pop.

There is no wrong choice of course ... Cool

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Time to subtly ask dad the big question, "if we could ever go back, what would be your dream, leopard or gemsbok". You will be happier with (potentially) a smaller bull and a happy father if he chooses gemsbok. If he picks leopard, YOU BOTH WIN!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think that JCS271 needs to be king. What a wise response.

quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Time to subtly ask dad the big question, "if we could ever go back, what would be your dream, leopard or gemsbok". You will be happier with (potentially) a smaller bull and a happy father if he chooses gemsbok. If he picks leopard, YOU BOTH WIN!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I agree and have tried that a few times.

"I don't know... I have to think about it. When the time comes we'll sit and talk about it."

He's much smarter than me. If I push further the jig will be up.

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a wonderful marvelous present for your father. kudos tu2 tu2 tu2

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Khaudum gets my vote--I almost always will roll the dice and doing it with your father-well it will be your best safari of your life. Gemsbok are nice but you can shoot one here in Texas, but a Leopard man thats not even close. Just suprise him he will be walking on clouds. Will also bet that he could shoot flies and would love it,going with his son.

Good Hunting

SSR

(and take the 450-400)

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
CCmdoc, To be honest, this might be as you say his last trip, I say let him go after the leopard, if he is sucsessful it will be a memory that you will both cherish and of course the up side is 60+ tusker for you. I hope you you and your father have a great trip.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

Karl just sent me a few more emails with info and Khaudum it is - for the leopard and he also has gemsbok on quota there and not Sobbe.

Some day I might be half the man he is but probably never as wise. My parents celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary this June and I my 25th. Hopefully 2011 will be filled with treasured memories of many successes.

Thanks again,

Paul

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:

Yes, a win-win situation!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
My parents celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary this June and I my 25th. Hopefully 2011 will be filled with treasured memories of many successes.

Congrats to you all. Things obviously have gone right in your household.

What a great surprise for your Father. Be sure and let us know his reaction when you tell him.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
come to think of it - somebody has to shoot the leopard bait

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When making your decision I would defintely look at it like I did when I took my father when he was 86 years old...what would be the most fun for him. At my father's age, walking after an elephant for up to 20 miles per day would be too much.

Think about his physical conditioning and if need be, tell him you got this great deal and which one does he think you should do. It could go like this: "Hey Dad, this great deal fell into my lap." "In fact, I have an option, which one would you do if you were me and why?"

Good luck with it and make some fond memories.

AKMATT

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
So he shoots a gemsbok for one of his leopard baits, keeps the hide and horns to be mounted as his trophy, and doubles his pleasure in the experience. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
That is a great plan! Your father will be thrilled.

Can't wait to read the report.

Good luck to the both of you.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
I agree and have tried that a few times.

"I don't know... I have to think about it. When the time comes we'll sit and talk about it."

He's much smarter than me. If I push further the jig will be up.

Tell him about the trip TODAY...you never know what tomorrow may hold.

Let him enjoy the anticipation, planning, and practicing.

Let him enjoy the love of his son. beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

That is my Dad between Nigel & I in Chewore south.

You and your Dad will have a great time no matter what you decide. Leopard and ele styles seem to go together. Those would be my choices.

Anyway...just like mine are...your memories will be some of the best you ever develop no matter what you do!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
Tell him about the trip TODAY...you never know what tomorrow may hold.

Let him enjoy the anticipation, planning, and practicing.

Let him enjoy the love of his son. beer

Nope - can't do that yet. In my almost 5 decades of being his son, the one thing we have most frequently argued about was who was paying for something.

He can't afford it at all. If he learned I was paying the whole thing, the arguments would be to wait a few years until he could save up for his half (and mine if he had his way). In fact, that was the argument last October when I first contacted Karl.

Let me mention that he is
a Longshoreman (and still works every day on the docks).
Of Italian decent.
Who grew up in Brooklyn, New York.

You don't argue with a man like that.

Even if you are his eldest son.

And his wife
is Sicilian
Knows the intricacies of the wooden spoon.
Is under 5' tall but will convince you it's in your own best interest to kneel so she can beat you with it.

Even if you are her eldest son

So, no I don't think I'll say a word just yet. Not until it's too late for him to argue ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go where Dad wants to go. Enjoy your time with him. I remember taking my dad hunting for the last time in 1993 to a ranch here in Central California that I was hunting on. Dad had not hunted big game since 1975, just birds. We were just a few minutes out of camp in the middle of the week around 2:00 and right where you would not expect to find any deer one of the largest blacktail bucks I have seen in the all my years was drinking out of a cattle trough in the middle of nowhere. The nearest cover was at least 200 yds away. The old man got out and just put the crosshairs on the old buck and squeezed off the trigger with no cartridge in the chamber. The Weatherby went click the buck just turned and walked away and my dad says that was good enough for me I dont need to shoot him. I will always remember that and everytime I think of that time I get a lump in my throat. TAKE DAD WHERE HE WANTS TO GO AND SAVOR THE MOMENT.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting two on one getting a leopard and looking for a big bull elephant 14 days may not be emough time. If you have seperate PHs , no problem.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What a great idea and a real family. Wish you all the very best and God Bless.

I just lost my dad a month ago - aged 85. No we did not hunt big game together but we did chase a few dove and ducks occasionally. I eagerly listened to his stories of shooting tigers & leopards in the 1950s. I did visit many National Parks and watched wildlife with him.

I can't wait to read the hunt report.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth a thousand words!!!

8 ft. cat

29.55kilos 193cm

Mike Big Grin

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Nice Mike, very nice!!! beer

Thank you all for good advice and kind words.

In the journal I kept of our last safari which had printed and leather bound for my father, my forward has among a few other notes, the following:

"I am the luckiest man who has ever lived"

As true today as it ever was and all because of my family. Good folk, they are. I hope my children inherit some of that.

Thanks folk!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you said in your first post, " there is no wrong choice", you are taking your father hunting in Africa. What a wonderful thing. I wish I could hunt with my father again,... anywhere. Enjoy it, those are always special times.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think Mike pictures say it all!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

Sounds like you're getting the best of both worlds. I would have voted leopard if you had to choose, but now you don't have too. If you do strike out on Oryx though, there's always NM and TX.

Have a great time with your Dad in Africa. I'm envious you get to share such great adventures with your father. Mine's been 6 feet under for some time now.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knows the intricacies of the wooden spoon.
Is under 5' tall but will convince you it's in your own best interest to kneel so she can beat you with it.

Ahh... The mediteranean that I know so well!!

Good luck on the safari with your father. They will be days you will both cherish.

I have also been threatening my dad with a safari for the last few years and he always seems to find a reason not to be able to go. Once it is bought and paid for I suppose he won't have a lot of choice. Yours will probably be the same. Even though their knee jerk reaction is often frustration I'm sure once you tell him it's done and can't be changed he will enjoy all the build up and anticipation that is part of every safari.

Rgds,
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya'll are going to have a great trip. We will all be anxious to read the report here on AR. Complete with pictures of elephant and leopard. Your mom and pop sound like great characters.

My son and I are preparing for our father son hunt in Africa where I plan on carring the 450NE that I got from you.

WE can't wait to make some more hunting memories together.

Hartley

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer of pre baiting for leopard when possible. Check that possibility with Karl. It could really be money well spent especially since hunting leopard and elephant are so vastly different. I would also ask Karl if he uses trail cams. They really save a lot of wasted nights if you can pattern the cat's behavior.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Khaudum

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
My father and I did our first safari with Karl last April. Dad is 70 and would never have gone on safari if I hadn't insisted. I only had one goal on this trip and that was for Dad to have a great time. Thanks to Karl, we succeeded beyond my hopes! Never a man of many words, Dad did say on the plane ride home: "I wish we had done that sooner". I knew then that, like me, he had the time of his life. Dad and I have done many father/son hunting trips together. All very special in the time we get to spend together, none quite as special as this one though. Enjoy your time with your father!

Here's Dad, Karl, and I with Dad's Hartmanns Zebra.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Adam,
Same story with my first safari with my father when he was 70.
In fact, after reading all of the comments here, I asked karl about having another person and he said "No Problem".
I called my brother up and told him I would like him to come along. He comes deer hunting with us every year, not necessarily to hunt but just to be together.
Thanks all!
Paul

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
No question, I'd go after the leopard for Dad. Sounds like Karl has the potential for oryx at the same place, so he can use his oryx trophy as leopard bait. He wins both times.

Besides in the end, would you rather go home empty handed and have Dad get both his oryx and leopard? Or, would you rather have your bull and Dad miss out on his animals? If it were me, I'd be going home without my bull.

Regardless, it should be a great trip!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Graybird,
Exactly right and it is all about what would make him happier - always has been.
Karl made it easy as I no longer have to choose Gemsbok vs. Leopard for him, the area we will be hunting - Khaudum - will give pop the opportunity for both. That only came to light after I posted the original "decision" question.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry..."

Yet sometimes it must be "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead ..."

Between the posting of my original question on March 22nd and now, my father was found to have a pulmonary nodule, underwent a series of tests, a lung biopsy and last thursday had half of his right lung removed along with the cancer that was growing there.

In November we will be heading to Khaudum, Namibia to hunt with Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Hunting Safaris for elephant, leopard and plains game.

Friggin cancer BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
good for you tu2

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Paul, sorry to hear about the cancer but I am glsd you are being positive about it and the hunt. As I was reading the posts above I was going to post a comment that you are a blessed man. Even after reading the bad news, you are still blessed.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the black sheep of the family as i am the only one of six that hunts and enjoy's it. I wish my old man hunted so I could take him somewhere.So.......do it for your old man and go for the leopard option after all you are taking him to forfill his dream as a surprise right?

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
Paul, sorry to hear about the cancer but I am glsd you are being positive about it and the hunt. As I was reading the posts above I was going to post a comment that you are a blessed man. Even after reading the bad news, you are still blessed.

Tom

I am truly blessed in more ways than I could ever say. Another day and another hunt with my dad. What more could I want? When my son is old enough, to do the same - maybe his grandpa will be able to show him how.
Thanks Tom
Paul

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhaba:
I am the black sheep of the family as i am the only one of six that hunts and enjoy's it. I wish my old man hunted so I could take him somewhere.So.......do it for your old man and go for the leopard option after all you are taking him to forfill his dream as a surprise right?

Sorry that your family doesn't share those experiences with you. That's the best part of hunting - being together.
Not a surprise any longer and you're absolutely right-hand leopard and gemsbok along with elephant.
Thanks,
Paul

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Paul, the best and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote