Find
Notify
Tools

Bull shoot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I guess we define raising animals for slaughter differently. I consider the SA farmer raising lions for hunting for sport, not raising a food product, but I see how you rationalize the end result as the same thing.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
So, after I heal up some more and it dries out enough to get the trailer to the catch pen. I will try to get him loaded and not get maimed, again.

Keith

Maybe you can get these guys to load him for you!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith
Glad you are OK.

I think someone should always wear a 4" 44 Mag when around large animals.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Hog Killer, You might get some good money for it through one of the Rodeo Bull Suppliers. It seems to have the "look" they appreciate in that flick.

But..., I'd bet it would eat right well! beer

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
That black so & so, is now at the livestock auction barn. Should be sold to a packer in about 3 hours. jumping

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
That'll teach him. Smiler Big Grin

I have whacked quite a few ornery beasts for my Pa. Usually ill tempered cows (bison cows that is) that would take a run at him, or mess up a roundup by stalling in the chutes, being general "bitches" so to speak, etc. Partway through the "meat rendering" process (ie gutting/skinning) he or I would usually quip..."Well, she won't have the guts to try that stunt again!". (sick and lame joke, I know)

My freezer is like a penitentary for unruly bison. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even a little 1000 pound calf can run you over, kill you, and require cars or trucks to get back to it's pen.

I guess part of it is after raising the darn thing, feeding it, and caring for it, kind of hurts your feelings when it knocks the crap out of you, has a bad day, and tries to kill you.

Also, to a 1600 pound steer, that car isn't really anything more then paper mache on the outside. Easy to reshape as they want...

Dr G

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple bulls try their damnedest to get me. The smart ones know just about how fast you can get to the fence...

You can easily get killed.

I used to be quick enough to beat that game but I somehow doubt I could outrun a bull these days... <sigh>

I also believe that if an animal's gonna die it's gonna die. If it doesn't suffer any more than necessary in the process there's nuttin' wrong with having a bit of sport out of it.

So what the heck is wrong with killin' a bull anyway. Somebody gotta do it.

Those of squeemish stomachs and tender sensibilities should go to the grocery store and get their meat along with the other panty waists.

Agonizing over whether or not it's OK to kill sombody's bull is a good example of what the hell is wrong with this country...

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heard on the news at noon that a guy got stomped and killed by a Steer at a Stock Yard in Bloomfield, KY yesterday.

My guess is that no one is saying "Poor Steer" at the Stock Yard. Obviously if ANYONE had been armed close by they would have tried to stop it and not given any thought to the Animal Rights Advocates, or how it would have "looked".

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Up date:

I went back to where I got tossed, with a tape measure, got tossed 12 feet.

I missed jugded the bull's weight, he only weighed 1375 lbs. Still glad he did not go for a second round.

If I sneeze now, it does not feel like a fire ax in my chest and upper back. I can step in to my F-350 now in one fairly smooth motion. I have also put up the walking stick as most of the soreness has left my leg. The scabs are got from the top of my head.(easier to shave it now) I am on the mend and hope to be shooting my Lott in about three weeks.

Keith

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you are improving!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Keith,
Just a thought here, but had you ever considered just rais'n chickens and goats? animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Up date:

I went back to where I got tossed, with a tape measure, got tossed 12 feet.

I missed jugded the bull's weight, he only weighed 1375 lbs. Still glad he did not go for a second round.

If I sneeze now, it does not feel like a fire ax in my chest and upper back. I can step in to my F-350 now in one fairly smooth motion. I have also put up the walking stick as most of the soreness has left my leg. The scabs are got from the top of my head.(easier to shave it now) I am on the mend and hope to be shooting my Lott in about three weeks.

Keith

Happy to hear you're doing better!! beer

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Rusty, I do not care for chickens and goats need a better fence.

Keith

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys.

Rusty, I do not care for chickens and goats need a better fence.

Keith

but goats are chupacabraha bait!!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
but goats are chupacabraha bait!!!

Like this one?