Find
Notify
Tools

Back Yard Leopard Charge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I would have shot it too!!! Glad everyone is OK!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
o goodness - what should have been done is to find out why the cat was there in the first place - then make sure the dog had vaccination certificates- then call 911 and describe the situation. hide in a tree until the police arrive and taz the villian. then after that didn't work make sure the cops call for support and perhaps tranqualize the beast. Transfer him to a safer location such as a ball park. Then repair the damage to the family members calling 911 again for help. arguing with the insurance company and hiring lawyers of course comes much latter. make sure everything has been written down, notorized and 21 copies made

or do what you did and buy the dog a big steak

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
well done Shona
you welcome in my camp any day tu2

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rabies is also a consideration.

Better safe than sorry.

Stu

One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
WTF, why is there even a discussion? A big 5 dangerous animal is running around the house where his wife and kids are! It has lost its fear of humans. Well done Shona. Thank God your family is unharmed.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
fulvio, you make it seem as though there is such a thing as a domestic leopard! That is absurd.

As Shona said, in a perfect world, where sugarplum fairies dance in our dreams, the leopard would have left and never come back to predate Shona's animals and family.

But, as we know, leopards are not sugarplum fairies.

I can find no fault here. Only a man who did what he rightly thought he needed to do.

But Shona, no rifle? Seriously? Lesson learned?

First lesson my first PH ever taught me: Always have your rifle with you. And make sure it's cocked and locked. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Absolutely right move
Fulvio, I can see your point some, but at the same time, you were not in that situation
About big cats, you really never know so this close to the house, proper cure was administered

I don't agree with it being the right move as it was a situation which could have easily been averted had the hound been locked up and for Johann to retire within the confines of his house. The Leopard would have found its way out of the compound without too much fanfare.

To claim the right to kill because "it was on his property" is pretty lame as it is he who is encroaching on the Leopard's domain and his duty to respect/share territorial rights with the surrounding wildlife.

If you are faced with a problem animal (which it was not) I would fully agree that it be disposed of but in this instant puts himself on par with the common villager who because it was too close for comfort, decides to handle the matter the way he did.

If we had to shoot every Leopard that came into camp and every camp I have run has always had the "camp Leopard" or several, which would slink in the moment the lights were doused and rummage around for scraps, your way of thinking would therefore legitimize its demise simply because of our presence (clients, staff and wet trophies).

Maybe our Johann should just go about his business the way he knows best, Oh I forgot, its Namibia where Leopard are considered vermin and conservation ethics are sometimes forgotten.

Although Fulvio often is not shy about telling one his feelings on the matter (perhaps somewhat Crass), I tend to agree with him here.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
quote:
Absolutely right move
Fulvio, I can see your point some, but at the same time, you were not in that situation
About big cats, you really never know so this close to the house, proper cure was administered

I don't agree with it being the right move as it was a situation which could have easily been averted had the hound been locked up and for Johann to retire within the confines of his house. The Leopard would have found its way out of the compound without too much fanfare.

To claim the right to kill because "it was on his property" is pretty lame as it is he who is encroaching on the Leopard's domain and his duty to respect/share territorial rights with the surrounding wildlife.

If you are faced with a problem animal (which it was not) I would fully agree that it be disposed of but in this instant puts himself on par with the common villager who because it was too close for comfort, decides to handle the matter the way he did.

If we had to shoot every Leopard that came into camp and every camp I have run has always had the "camp Leopard" or several, which would slink in the moment the lights were doused and rummage around for scraps, your way of thinking would therefore legitimize its demise simply because of our presence (clients, staff and wet trophies).

Maybe our Johann should just go about his business the way he knows best, Oh I forgot, its Namibia where Leopard are considered vermin and conservation ethics are sometimes forgotten.

Although Fulvio often is not shy about telling one his feelings on the matter (perhaps somewhat Crass), I tend to agree with him here.

Yeah, me too. I think someone wanted a cat mount for their lodge and took the opportunity to acquire one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crikey!

Good job.

If it were my house I think I would have done the same.

Good hunting. Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Absolutely right move

Yeah, me too. I think someone wanted a cat mount for their lodge and took the opportunity to acquire one.

tu2
I'm with you and Ozhunter on this although I would call him blatantly honest rather than crass.

Posts: 463 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is true and an great Statement.
Best wishes.
OH

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I think I would tend to side with a Tanzanian PH with 40 years experience. I would like to know how many Lions & Leopards Fulvio has put his clients on?

As far as his style, I much prefer direct honesty with any individual I deal with rather than someone without the stones to call it like he see's it.

As to the analogy with Rattlers, I live north of Phoenix, right on the edge of the desert. Its essentially open range all the way to Las Vegas from my home. We deal with Snakes regularly. I follow the same exact policy as the person whom stated his prior. If I run into a Rattler, I first discern if there is a probability of this snake running into another individual, then decide if this snake is a safety hazard or not. I don't arbitrarily execute a snake just for being a snake.

There's plenty of other stuff out here in this desert to bite and sting you anyway.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fulvio:

I guess "40 years experience" makes you an expert on animal control and family safety?

My neighbors pit bull escaped his yard and was wandering around my yard. Probably 99% chance it would never harm my kids. Not worth taking a 1% risk. I would have probably shot it, if it would have returned.

I have every right to protect my family, as does Shona. He was the one there, knew the situation better than anyone here.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Absolutely right move

Good grief!!!
I doubt he needs any mounts....
You all need a dose of reality...
A cornered leopard, in your yard, near your house and kids...
Let's see, just rub the cat on his belly and all is well.
Good grief!

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Family first, Leopard a distant second.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was said that this was not a problem animal. How do you know this. This may have been the first time this cat was out for the easy meal and it was going to be Shon's dog, or one of his kids. Also, I think there is a mistakenly placed level of reverence for the animal based on the cost of the hunt and challenge that it poses. Would we be having this discussion at all if it was an MS 13 member slinking around his house.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoulderman:
WTF, why is there even a discussion? A big 5 dangerous animal is running around the house where his wife and kids are! It has lost its fear of humans. Well done Shona. Thank God your family is unharmed.

Many thousands of tourists and hunters are in close proximity of wild animals every year and often sleep amongst these beasts separated only by flimsy canvas or mosquito net.

If you seek the wilderness then occurrences like this are fairly commonplace. However dogs and fences will inevitably make your pussy cat a bit spitty.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"It was said that this was not a problem animal. How do you know this".

Had that been the case and being an experienced BG Hunter he would have taken care of it long ago; he would have very likely mentioned it in his recount of the transpired events to back up his actions.

Let's just say that this unfortunate Leopard was in the wrong place at the wrong time and found itself up against a trigger-happy property owner.

I would be ready to bet that this cat was not a first time visitor to the "encampment"; just that nobody ever paid any attention to details on the morning after the night before.

Another wager says should JV have tethered the hound, left escape routes open and retreated to the confines of his home, that cat would have quickly moved out harboring second thoughts of any possible return to this "unpleasant" place.

The height of the fence alone with all the surrounding platforms as footholds, would not keep a Leopard in or out but with a dog in its face, tends to complicate matters.

All the Hound over Leopard experts know more about this subject than I do.

Problem here is that he purposely engaged the services of his hound for a second time (documented) to corner and shoot it and if all the naysayers are of the opinion that this was the right thing to do, so be it but don't bitch about the villagers when they wantonly decimate Leopard and Lion simply because they have encroached on their property or rather because they graze their stock in the Lion/Leopard's domain.

As already stated previously, how do the Leopards and Lions that frequent hunting camps fare against the opinions of the naysayers?

Pug marks that lead to almost every tent flap, kitchen area, skinning shed? The camp staff almost always sleep on rudimentary home-made bunks under open, thatched shelters - are they to be shot simply because they are too close for comfort? coffee

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shona
posted Hide Post
Wow, This is beginning to sound like first World politics.

Just to clarify a couple of things here as it seems in today's world people behind computer screens find it entertaining to judge people and situations they don't know and everyone has an opinion.

1. The cat is dead, period. none of this is going to bring it back to live.

2. As stated here before, I have lived here for 17 years and this is the first incidence of this nature. We have plenty of leopards on our property and they come into our main lodge buildings at night and walk around the camp almost on a nightly basis. Never had a problem before.

3. This is the first leopard I have shot myself, so that now makes me trigger happy????? Really, if I wanted a mount for my lodge I would have hunted a big Tom years ago and place one inside my lodge, my house, my home at the coast, my local bar and maybe a couple for each of my friends bars. Since this is Namibia thumbdown

4. Never said it was a problem leopard and please stop using this term in the wrong contents at Namibia has regulation describing the term and you are creating confusion under the uninformed, the last thing anyone in the hunting industry needs.

5. I have never hunted leopards with hounds as this is illegal in Namibia and anyone who has hunted with me in the past knows that I don't approve of this.

6.Please read this carefully , My intentions was not to just kill the leopard because he was in my back yard.. After having the dog inside for a while waiting for a rifle and the fact that he was standing on the porch and not engaging the leopard any more. I was under the impression that the cat somehow found his way out.The only reason I went out again is that we are rare bird breeders and all of our cages is in my back yard. I wanted to make sure there was no damage done as this could have been the reason for the cat being there in the first case. Also note that the gate was now wide open for in case he was still there, allowing him an escape route. This was however not the case, I deliberately went around my house to leave the escape route for the cat clear should he still have been in the yard. The cat came around the corner and immediately charged when he saw the flashlight and I shot it.

7. Why should this be an issue, all the negativity in public domain causes a lot of damage to our industry, someone with 40 years experience should know this and should also by now know that some comments he is making is aimed at triggering emotional responses from the wrong people. If you have a problem in how I handled this situation and need clarification PM me but to do it here makes me wonder about your intentions.

Johann Veldsman

Shona Hunting Adventures

www.facebook.com/shonahunting

www.AfricanHuntingNamibia.com
www.conservation-hunting.com
Mobile: +264 81 128 3105

P.o. Box 564
Outjo
Namibia
Africa

Posts: 196 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 23 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shona:
Wow, This is beginning to sound like first World politics.

The cat came around the corner and immediately charged when he saw the flashlight and I shot it.

Hold on a second, lets get the story in perspective, "Now caught in a small alley way between my house and the yard fence with Savanna chasing it from behind, it had no where to go but straight for us".

Was it charging or just running from your dog and you happened to get in it's escape route. You seem to suggest that the "us" that was being charged was you and your trusty hound but then tell us Savanna was chasing it from behind?

I'm so confused I couldn't have shot the leopard had I wanted to Smiler

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a leopard that gets this close to my home is a risk to my pets,kids and livestock

1. Pets before the kids? coffee

2. The only reason I went out again is that we are rare bird breeders and all of our cages is in my back yard. I wanted to make sure there was no damage done as this could have been the reason for the cat being there in the first case.

Have a nice day and in closing, I propose a double electric fence to protect your rare birds. Wink

No further comments and as far as I'm concerned, gone from this BS story.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Johann,
Thanks for sharing a great story. Which had a great outcome only because of your quick thinking. Saying "WOW" once again is warranted. As we know, besides being really fast, leopards are unbelievably devastating if they get to you. Unbelievably.

Meanwhile, I now get to add Fulvio to my really short list of "ignore" posters on this forum. Smiler

Posts: 741 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am not a leopard expert.

Now let me take you all to the place that has the highest density of leopards per sq km in the world - Sanjay Gandhi National Park in Bombay. That park has over 60 leopards and many of them live around the fringes and visit the city. They take dogs every day and the occasional child from the slums as well as the gated apartments. There are many youtube videos of a leopard even entering a house to take a dog - captured on CCTV camera.

This has been a problem for over 30 years, if not longer.

In the 1980s an acquaintance used to run a caged egg chicken farm just out of the city, next to the national parks. He started getting hit be leopards. They would tear down the chicken mesh wall of the sheds and then rip out the #12 wire cages and eat the chicken. He sat up one night and shot the leopard with a 12 bore shotgun. A month later he got another attack and shot that leopard too. Over a period of about 2 years he shot 6 leopards in his chicken sheds! He finally decided to shut down the farm as it was too much of a bother.

Today he would not be allowed to start a farm in that area and he would go to jail for shooting a leopard even in his own property!

BTW - I have already complemented the OP on this great job he did.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
a leopard that gets this close to my home is a risk to my pets,kids and livestock

1. Pets before the kids? coffee

2. The only reason I went out again is that we are rare bird breeders and all of our cages is in my back yard. I wanted to make sure there was no damage done as this could have been the reason for the cat being there in the first case.

Have a nice day and in closing, I propose a double electric fence to protect your rare birds. Wink

No further comments and as far as I'm concerned, gone from this BS story.

Clueless after 40 years.... go figure.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing your real life experience. I am happy that you, your family and dog are all safe.

I am amazed at the internet commandos criticizing the "on the ground commander" from the safety of their homes after having all the uninterrupted time they need to contemplate their "expert" opinions.

I really love the ignore feature on this site.

Safe travels.....LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still pissed off over the "expert of 40 years" reaction to this as well as the rest of you who make a false claim or uninformed claim about the intentions of Johann.

I have hunted a lot. I have been shot at. I have managed drilling rigs that were taken over by hostiles. I have seen the affects of what a leopard can do if it chooses to.

Anyone and I include the most experienced "PH or operator" on this site that thinks for one second you can predict what a leopard is going to do when in a close environment or in close proximity to home, dog or people is clueless.

This animal is incredibly quick, dangerous from significant injury and not worth a second thought if it is that close. Shoot, and shoot again and again. Take no prisoner and no chances. I fail to grasp the value some of you put on a single animal. I would not care if it was the last of its kind. I am not getting bit or chewed or injured just to protect an animal of all things.

This is amazing.

My family has owned horses, dogs, and other critters. The very second a dog or a horse even looked cross-eyed at a child or anyone or acted as if it would injury anyone - that animal was killed asap by the closest means possible. We had a milk cow that cornered my cousin in a barn with ill intent and my uncle clocked that cow over the head with a shovel, then an ax. Ended it right there. I could care less whose "fault" it is.

Better example, Saeed has a zoo in Dubai. Imagine what would happen if one of his cheetahs bit his young daughter. How long would that cheetah be around? (if it bit Walter, we would give it a steak as a reward, however!!!)

My daughter at age 2 was toddling around our home. I had a lazy Labrador retriever. I noticed my daughter standing behind our sofa and being taller than normal. I looked over and saw her standing on the dogs head! The dog had this look of "oh well, she will get off in a minute". I pulled my daughter up and off and the dog never raised her head.

That dog was worthless as a retriever but stayed in our family until she died. Reason - she would not even act angry at my kids.

Animals are animals!!! If they threaten or even come near to harming a person - down they go....

Get real....

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am still pissed off over the "expert of 40 years" reaction to this as well as the rest of you who make a false claim or uninformed claim about the intentions of Johann.

I have hunted a lot. I have been shot at. I have managed drilling rigs that were taken over by hostiles. I have seen the affects of what a leopard can do if it chooses to.

Anyone and I include the most experienced "PH or operator" on this site that thinks for one second you can predict what a leopard is going to do when in a close environment or in close proximity to home, dog or people is clueless.

This animal is incredibly quick, dangerous from significant injury and not worth a second thought if it is that close. Shoot, and shoot again and again. Take no prisoner and no chances. I fail to grasp the value some of you put on a single animal. I would not care if it was the last of its kind. I am not getting bit or chewed or injured just to protect an animal of all things.

This is amazing.

My family has owned horses, dogs, and other critters. The very second a dog or a horse even looked cross-eyed at a child or anyone or acted as if it would injury anyone - that animal was killed asap by the closest means possible. We had a milk cow that cornered my cousin in a barn with ill intent and my uncle clocked that cow over the head with a shovel, then an ax. Ended it right there. I could care less whose "fault" it is.

Better example, Saeed has a zoo in Dubai. Imagine what would happen if one of his cheetahs bit his young daughter. How long would that cheetah be around? (if it bit Walter, we would give it a steak as a reward, however!!!)

My daughter at age 2 was toddling around our home. I had a lazy Labrador retriever. I noticed my daughter standing behind our sofa and being taller than normal. I looked over and saw her standing on the dogs head! The dog had this look of "oh well, she will get off in a minute". I pulled my daughter up and off and the dog never raised her head.

That dog was worthless as a retriever but stayed in our family until she died. Reason - she would not even act angry at my kids.

Animals are animals!!! If they threaten or even come near to harming a person - down they go....

Get real....

AMEN!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto dogcat 100%.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is amazing.

Get real....

+2

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
"We made our way behind the house with just a flashlight and the next moment a very upset kitty came at us in full charge growling. Now caught in a small alley way between my house and the yard fence with Savanna chasing it from behind, it had no where to go but straight for us.
I dropped it with one shot at 6 feet from where I was standing."

Let's get past all the adulation and cut to the chase, quoted above from the OP's first post.

What actually did happen? Savanna chasing it from behind so who was with you being charged? Who is the "us"?

"Years of experience saved my skin this time". How I read what you yourself have written, you put yourself in that position in the first place.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why does it matter "who" was being charged or run at in the way of a leopard that is coming at you. Dog chases the leopard. Leopard runs toward a person. The person shoots the leopard at 6'. That is too close to be to a leopard that is running.

Would anyone here have asked the leopard to "sit, stay, nice kitty" or shot?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have shot the leopard. The very last thing I need is about 500 stitches ... Well done, Shona !!!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Why are people getting worked up over this? Shona did what he thought was right at the time. He was johnny on the spot, he made the decision and a leopard in his yard is dead. Whats the problem.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Leopard, Mountain Lion, Bobcat, or any other wild cats are so illusive, if you are seeing them they are and will be a problem. Now put them at you home with children and pets. No Question. Dead Kitty!!!

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
"We made our way behind the house with just a flashlight and the next moment a very upset kitty came at us in full charge growling. Now caught in a small alley way between my house and the yard fence with Savanna chasing it from behind, it had no where to go but straight for us.

Let's get past all the adulation and cut to the chase, quoted above from the OP's first post.

What actually did happen? Savanna chasing it from behind so who was with you being charged? Who is the "us"?

"Years of experience saved my skin this time". How I read what you yourself have written, you put yourself in that position in the first place.

I bet if it was a charging wallaby you would have just let it run over you....
Well done, Johann!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

Well done, Johann!!

Charging wallaby's are easily taken care of by our mighty All Blacks Big Grin

Any animal being chased by a dog is going to attempt to escape and with a flash light in it's face it is not going to see who or what is in front. We don't have dangerous game as such here in NZ but a red stag with a dog behind and no where to go but over top of you is probably as dangerous a prospect as leopard.

Johann already tells us the dog chased the leopard round and round the front yard, why let it back in the fray again and then create a situation where the leopard got cornered.

Not that it matters to him what I think, but I do acknowledge Johann's skill in cleanly taking out a leopard in a charge, albeit when trying to escape, but like others here I don't say well done for creating the situation in the first place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eagle 27, welcome to the dumbass club.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

Well done, Johann!!

Charging wallaby's are easily taken care of by our mighty All Blacks Big Grin

Any animal being chased by a dog is going to attempt to escape and with a flash light in it's face it is not going to see who or what is in front. We don't have dangerous game as such here in NZ but a red stag with a dog behind and no where to go but over top of you is probably as dangerous a prospect as leopard.

Johann already tells us the dog chased the leopard round and round the front yard, why let it back in the fray again and then create a situation where the leopard got cornered.

Not that it matters to him what I think, but I do acknowledge Johann's skill in cleanly taking out a leopard in a charge, albeit when trying to escape, but like others here I don't say well done for creating the situation in the first place.

I didn't know you hunted red stag with dogs. Interesting. But somehow I just can't see red stag as the equivalent to leopard in terms of danger but I guess they must be meaner in NZ than those I hunted in Poland.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Some people here in NZ use a dog in the bush to sniff out and find the area where deer are, often even pointing out deer. I have not heard of chasing deer with dogs but pigs are chase with dogs a lot.

One issue I find is strange is why the leopard did not just kill the dog. A leopard could easily take out a single Great Dane, Rottweiler, German Shepherd etc.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is amazing.

Get real....

Dogcat,

I'm laughing at the lab story with your daughter. Labs are great, for the most part. I would almost bet that lab would have defended your daughter if threatened by an outsider.

And yes, I agree with the rest of your post.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote