Back Yard Leopard Charge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
eagle 27, welcome to the imminent club.

This thread is about differences of opinion and conjecture. Shona did what he thought was right at the moment and felt his families lives were in imminent danger. Others suggest the threat could be have been avoided or handled differently. This makes for a good AR debate and there is no real need for name calling.

Looks as if Shona sold a Leopard safari from this thread which is a bonus and good on him.

Note as PHs we hardly put our family first do we?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
"We made our way behind the house with just a flashlight and the next moment a very upset kitty came at us in full charge growling. Now caught in a small alley way between my house and the yard fence with Savanna chasing it from behind, it had no where to go but straight for us.
I dropped it with one shot at 6 feet from where I was standing."

Let's get past all the adulation and cut to the chase, quoted above from the OP's first post.

What actually did happen? Savanna chasing it from behind so who was with you being charged? Who is the "us"?

"Years of experience saved my skin this time". How I read what you yourself have written, you put yourself in that position in the first place.

I bet if it was a charging wallaby you would have just let it run over you....
Well done, Johann!!

Charging wallaby's are easily taken care of by our mighty All Blacks Big Grin

Any animal being chased by a dog is going to attempt to escape and with a flash light in it's face it is not going to see who or what is in front. We don't have dangerous game as such here in NZ but a red stag with a dog behind and no where to go but over top of you is probably as dangerous a prospect as leopard.

Johann already tells us the dog chased the leopard round and round the front yard, why let it back in the fray again and then create a situation where the leopard got cornered.

Not that it matters to him what I think, but I do acknowledge Johann's skill in cleanly taking out a leopard in a charge, albeit when trying to escape, but like others here I don't say well done for creating the situation in the first place.

I didn't know you hunted red stag with dogs. Interesting. But somehow I just can't see red stag as the equivalent to leopard in terms of danger but I guess they must be meaner in NZ than those I hunted in Poland.

No we don't usually hunt red stag with dogs although nothing to stop anyone doing so here and many have likely been chased by dogs when out hunting for pigs. My point with the danger of a red stag is that if one was similarly cornered as Johann's leopard was, a stags antlers are going to be a pretty formidable weapon to try and avoid in a similar narrow confine that Johann found himself. There have been several people killed and badly injured here in NZ from red stag in the roar on farms where they have lost their natural fear of humans. They are a very dangerous animal under these conditions and often attack without any warning. I certainly wouldn't want to put myself in the escape path of one in the wild either. I have shot them at very close range in the bush after roaring them up and it can be quite frightening as to how silently, quickly and often unseen they can approach. They usually roar when stationary and then go silent when approaching.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
eagle 27, welcome to the dumbass club.

You the President?

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You the President?

That would be fulvio. You're in fine company.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You the President?

Don't have a problem with that, about 50% of the posters on this discussion have expressed similar views on the subject, many of then very experienced and well known hunters in AR circles.
I guess some of us are prepared to think about some of the stories that get posted and are not afraid to ask questions or express opinions. Most of us can do this without personal abuse but obviously some struggle with that concept.

Fairgame summed it up very nicely in his post above. I hope you can take the time to read and think about it a little.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You the President?

Add me to the group and now you nearly have 70 years experience of dealing with Leopard and many many more years of being in the wild.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote