New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stable Shooting Sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I used the most stable shooting sticks I have ever used today. They are called 4StableSticks being imported from France. You can see them at JJ Perodeau's web site. They function much like a standing bench rest.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Viper-Flex stick on my recent trip to Zimbabwe. Very similar and very stable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used the viper flex in Zim in 2016 and also in Mozambique this September, I liked them so much I purchased a pair back in 2016. Great sticks.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They look very stable.

But, just looking back at our last safari, they would have been very complicated to set up on our hunts.

Especially as one tries to set up the sticks without getting the attention of the animals being hunted.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
They look a little gimmicky to me. I wonder how they would work on uneven ground or if the target suddenly moved and required a quick readjustment, all while being quiet and unobtrusive.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have been able to accomplish much improved accuracy off of standing sticks by using a tripod front set and simple crossed ticks (dowels and vacuum cleaner belts) as a rear stock support.

It is not any more difficult to carry both sets in my off hand and they are only needed beyond say 200 yards where you generally have more time to get set-up.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan Shearing, with Charlton McCallum, has a set of these he made himself. I used them this year and was very impressed, they were definitely the most stable sticks I have ever used.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a South African company that was selling something similar. I posted about them a couple of years back.

They are indeed stable.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have used all kinds of shooting sticks in Africa, Alaska, Mexico and across the U.S. I have enough different ones to open a shooting sticks store. Right now, the Primos Trigger Stick gets my vote and gets used the most. In Africa, I have taken my own and used them, but honestly, the homemade shooting sticks that the PHs have for use in Africa, have never, ever been a problem for me whatsoever. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alan Shearing, with Charlton McCallum, has a set of these he made himself.

Numerous times I have had my rifle on these sticks of Alan's. Takes a few seconds longer to get set up compared to more conventional sticks but once set they are very steady. Funny thing though I think the only game I have shot with these fully spread sticks is two Baboons. For all other game, because we were close and the game poised for flight, I have shot either offhand or on these sticks quickly presented in the two-stick V configuration. I have learnt from hunting African game you frequently have to be prepared and practised for shooting in quite a restricted time window.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but honestly, the homemade shooting sticks that the PHs have for use in Africa, have never, ever been a problem for me whatsoever.

More importantly, they very stably stand on 3 legs, can be adjusted with a flick of thumb and don't cost stupid figures!

Sometimes one wonders where financial priorities lie. coffee

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I just put these together last month. Nice and solid, built with sassafras cut from my land and a vacuum cleaner belt.

Sassafras is a nice light weight but strong and rot resistant wood. These were small trees, perfect size.

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ll admit to making Martha Stewart sticks.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Use one set of sticks for the rifle, and another for the elbow of your shooting arm. Does not take more time to set up with a little practice.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
The "stable sticks" are stable. Nothing revolutionary as I have seen homemade versions of these for the past 20+ years. Some love them; some hate them. I don't care for them. Like any kit, don't try to use them in a real situation without practice as they are not user friendly. Find what works for you and practice, practice, practice. Practice putting them up and getting on the gun rapidly and getting off a shot. We practice with a laserlyte target system and an air rifle inside the house, as well as the range using our favorite shooting rests. For us, the heavy duty bogpod with the wide shooting rest and the Caldwell deadshot fieldpod work best. The bogpod for walking and the fieldpod for a hide/stand/high seat/etc.

Safe shooting and safer travels...…….LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Here they are

This is what I used in Botswana in Sept. Took a bit to get used to but VERY stable!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
And Sassafras makes a great tea Smiler Used said "sticks" two years ago. Very stable but not really much good for moving targets. Your good if the animal is standing still or moving slow, but anything moving at a trot or faster is not so easy. Did I like them? Yes but I still prefer my Trigger Stix Gen 3.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6824 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only sticks that I have used are the Vanguard sticks. (I liked them.)
How do you think that they rate?
Would the Trigger sticks be better?
Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Brian, since I've never used Vanguard sticks, I can't comment. I've used a variety of shooting sticks and I like the Trigger Sticks the best. The Generation 3's are my favorite. Many African PH's now use them as well. Good hunting, LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6824 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LDK, Thanks. I think I will look closer at the trigger sticks. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just being Devil's Advocate here, but it could be the basis for a good article one day to look at how many people who use sticks in Africa practice diligently with them on the range, back home? And what their range drills are?

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Neil Duckworth with Mokore was using these sticks in Mozambique this year. Extremely stable. Totally eliminate horizontal sway.

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:
Just being Devil's Advocate here, but it could be the basis for a good article one day to look at how many people who use sticks in Africa practice diligently with them on the range, back home? And what their range drills are?

One has to wonder how much the average guy practices. Seems like everyone needs fancy stick, a tripod with a clamp to hold their rifle, etc.

I went on a hunt with Gunslinger55 in August. It was a cull hunt, so we were firing fast and furious, often offhand, but I was impressed with his speed. Made me realize I need to practice more offhand, which I do now. Five shots at 75 yards, 10 at 100. Goal is to keep them on a paper plate and do it fast.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I've used the pictured design before. If time was an issue, they were not very efficient and I used them in a bipod configuration. If you had ample time, however, they were very, very steady and deadly.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flipper Dude and Safari-lawyer, Thanks for your post. Just to make sure that I have it right, are you referring to the "Stable Sticks" that Saeed posted a photo of?

Thanks for your help, Brian

One of Us
Picture of DLJ
posted Hide Post
My brother and I hunted with the Duckworths in Zim in 2016 and Gary was using the Viper Flex sticks. Both of us were amazed by how well they worked. Made it back with them in Sept. to Mozambique and Neil and Doug are now using them also. They felt that using the viper flex sticks had reduced wounded animals and expanded the limits of the hunters. It's a two man operation with the PH carrying and setting the sticks for the shot with the shooter quickly mounting while taking directions from PH. Works pretty smooth after a couple practice mounts. I like the sticks adjusted a little shorter than normal just incase you end up set on unlevel ground or in a rut. The benefits far outweigh the negatives for me and I wouldn't dream of going back with out them.

Posts: 36 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 01 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Flipper Dude and Safari-lawyer, Thanks for your post. Just to make sure that I have it right, are you referring to the "Stable Sticks" that Saeed posted a photo of?

No. The ones I used were made from local materials - sticks, rubber, and string - but were the same design.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:

Never practice for a safari.

With or without sticks!

I can shoot reasonably well off hand, but I prefer to use any form of rest when hunting.

Never used sticks except in Africa.

I have used 2 leg sticks and 3 leg sticks.

Three leg sticks are definitely more stable.

I shot a kongoni off a 3 leg sticks this year that was about 450 yards.

Not sure whether I would have taken the shot with 2 leg sticks.

But I do shoot most of the year here in our shooting range, testing all sorts of rifles and ammo.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:

No. The ones I used were made from local materials - sticks, rubber, and string - but were the same design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SL, Thanks. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like someones building Tepees! I hate shooting sticks.. thumbdown sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote