Find
Notify
Tools

Ivan's new show
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Im not so sure that hunting part is that important yet. After all the biggest threat to the rhino and elephant is poaching.
There are millions of hunters in the U.S. who know little to nothing about Africa. Probably half the people who asked me about "Cecil" were sportsman. To educate and inform them of what's happening to Africa's wildlife is a plus. Not only will they be more likely to defend hunting there, they will have the knowledge to do it.

Ill hold judgment on that point until the season is over.

Ivan,
When you were in the thick bush with the two young bulls and no rifle. I kept waiting for a "do not try this at home" disclaimer to run across the bottom of the screen.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched the second episode "white gold" about elephant. I thought it was very very good. Lots of good footage and an interesting story. Paul

Posts: 78 | Location: Alaska  | Registered: 22 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just watched "White Gold." Great episode. Wonderful elephant footage, and it made me feel like I was hunting that elephant with them.

The recaps were shorter and not irritating, and for the most part the music was toned down from what I usually see on hunting or "reality" programming.

Well done!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching the first two episodes that we are getting here in San Antonio. Invited several friends/family over to gauge reaction (I did feed them as an enticement). These folks are good friends and/or family but none of them hunt as much as I do. Two comments that were made by more than one person, in relation to the elephant episode: 1. "I thought these animals were dangerous and could/would kill you-why are they (Ivan and crew) not carrying guns? and 2. If the elephant they are tracking is wounded, what exactly are they going to do? (I should as an aside I am a practicing veterinarian). "Are they going to put it out of its misery or what? I just want to give some feedback from the non-hunting community. Bottom line: IVAN YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that they were in a national park, I doubt they are allowed to have weapons. Good point though.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought staring down several elephants was not smart, I hope someone off camera had a rifle and even if they did, why provoke a situation and have to shoot?

As an aside I wonder whether elephants know the difference between an armed person and an unarmed one? I know for sure that crows can tell the difference. Elephants don't see too well, perhaps they could not make our a rifle even at close range?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been enjoying the show. No, it isn't perfect, but it does represent progress.
The croc episode was strong stuff, documenting human-wildlife conflict dramatically. The panic of the village was over the top.

I'm a little unclear on how hunting a crocodile violated Ivan's principles as a conservationist. if "conservation through hunting" is a valid concept, it isn't only valid if he is hunting for a paying client.

Truth be told, there may well need to be some cull hunting of crocodiles in this area. I've been on that stretch of the Zambezi near Zumbo, and their numbers are astonishing.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In terms of conservation principles, Ivan made it clear that there were two apparent options for dealing with the situation: (1) shoot a single croc, hopefully the man-eater, and attempt to appease the local villagers, or (2) have the local villagers request that the military be brought in to address the issue in which case many crocs would be slaughtered or wounded. Seems to me like he was taking the approach least impactful on the species. I see nothing inconsistent with conservation principles in Ivan's actions.

I think the croc episode is the best to date. It would fit on general cable programming very, very well.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think highly of Ivan, but the croc show made me think of Steve (crocodile hunter) Irwin.
You can push your luck too far and I would hate it very much if he did.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike-
My point was that Ivan said that killing the croc "violated his principles as a conservationist." I think just an unnecessary nod to political correctness that is kind of a hot button for me.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marty, I get the point now.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
With show like this one, I assume, they pretty much figured, they have to be politically correct.
Hence , off to other networks.
Ivan is probably the best advocate in this particular field of hunting/ conservation and all of the other aspects that come with it.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not a hunting show, and I'm good with that. There are plenty of hunting shows already. I agree, this is an opportunity to have a great advocate in the person of Ivan Carter reach a broader audience. I have always really liked him as a presenter. His enthusiasm for the bush has always been wonderful to see.
I just hope that the required level of political correctness doesn't get to the level of intellectual dishonesty we expect from the antis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that quote ruined the show for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Mike-
My point was that Ivan said that killing the croc "violated his principles as a conservationist." I think just an unnecessary nod to political correctness that is kind of a hot button for me.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
thanks for the comments gents -
yes it violated my principles to have to kill a croc because it ate a human and its the humans that are over-running its habitat- i do not have an issue with hunting a croc - i have an issue with hunting a croc because its simply doing what its designed to do and we as humans are overrunning its habitat....

to the point of not bringing hunting into the show , we are working hard to create a platform from which one can then defend hunting in the most elegant possible way - face to face with reporters and detractors - in fact i was recently at a press conference with over 100 journalists - follow this link to see one of the (most encouraging) results of that -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...ent&ir=Entertainment

if right off the bat i start to defend hunting i believe that this will limit the reach of the show and ultimately limit the amount of good we hope to do with it - for both the hunters image , hunting and conservation as a whole.

in reality the show is designed to raise awareness and in turn support for the folks on the front line.

thanks again for watching , i appreciate it -
imc

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
yes it violated my principles to have to kill a croc because it ate a human and its the humans that are over-running its habitat- i do not have an issue with hunting a croc - i have an issue with hunting a croc because its simply doing what its designed to do and we as humans are overrunning its habitat....

to the point of not bringing hunting into the show , we are working hard to create a platform from which one can then defend hunting in the most elegant possible way - face to face with reporters and detractors - in fact i was recently at a press conference with over 100 journalists - follow this link to see one of the (most encouraging) results of that -

if right off the bat i start to defend hunting i believe that this will limit the reach of the show and ultimately limit the amount of good we hope to do with it - for both the hunters image , hunting and conservation as a whole.

in reality the show is designed to raise awareness and in turn support for the folks on the front line.

imc

Good point, can't blame the croc for being a croc. They eat what's handy, it's just what they do.

I like the approach of educating all viewers both hunters and non hunters. Some of the hunters I've talked with have the perception that all hunting in Africa is bad. They believe that since they can't bring the meat home what's the point. If you can't eat it why hunt it. They need to see there's more to it behind the scenes.

Thank you for what your doing. I'm sure by now you see things you want to do better/differently next time. That's just part of the learning and refinement process.

P.S. The article link above could use some positive support comments from all of us. The more they see this the more likely they are to run similar articles. Let's start a media revolution - a positive one!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great initiative Ivan. There are many hard individuals on the ground who face danger on a daily basis for the protection of our wildlife and our sport.

Problem crocs should be part of a safari quota and sold as a safari. An additional income for a community.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well explained.

thanks
shane tu2
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:

imc

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I took the time this morning to send e-mails to Trijicon, Nosler and Kryptek. Thanking them for sponsoring Ivans show. The show is a great step in making folks aware of the fight going on to save wildlife and the role sport hunting plays. Thank you Ivan and to the Otdoor Channel and the shows sponsors.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great show Ivan! Briefly said hello at DSC.

I ordered Outdoor channel just to see the show. I hope there ll be re runs since I missed the first two which by all accounts of the posts were great. I guess the challenge to get onto mainstream channels, as many have suggested, is finding the right sponsor combination and keeping up the momentum generated, having addressed three hot button subjects (rhino poaching, elephants and crocs). Lions obviously being another.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Excellent program overall. My complaint is just this so far: less potatoes and more meat. The recaps are unnecessary.

Also- Were the rhino poachers captured?

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bravo Ivan!! Great job bringing awareness to the plight of the inhabitants of the African continent. Both the 4 legged and 2 legged varieties.

I agree with your decision to keep hunting out of the forefront of these shows. The targeted audience must first learn of the problems these animals and people face, before they can consider the solutions, which may include sustainable hunting and animal control.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I thought he pushed his luck with the Hippo's. Great Show

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great show Ivan!!!
I've got it on DVR and won't miss it. You bring a message that the rest of the public needs to see.
Well done, very well done

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan, i really enjoy the show. We sit down as a family and have friends over that dont have cable. It was especially neat to see the rhino episode since me, my son, and my cousin hunted a large private rhino preserve. An important message was that our significant hunting dollars Are the main reason that the land owner can afford to have the same type of troops and helicopters they have. It was just pretty neat to show my younger children a place similiar and very close to where we hunted. Bravo again! Great show. My favorite hunting/wildlife show out. On a side note we also discussed with owner bringing rhino to texas to make sure they dont get killed off. It was funny bc he had some very very negative and wrong impressions of texas. Lots of education to be done on all sides. Thanks for your contribution.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote