Tools

777 Ranch Cape Buffalo anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KUDUBULL:
Does using a rifle mean it is fair chase.... Does using camoflage make it ethical? ... Does using scent make it fair chase

What about shooting a mentally challenged Wildebeest? Even if he was 1/8" bigger than mine. Does that make it right?

animal

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Elandslayer, they must have a deal with someone across the river in Mexico, for the Cape Buffalo, because it is illegal to release any African dangerous game in Texas, for the purpose of hunting!

Mac,
THe cape buffalo, until some peta gets involved, or someone gets hurt, is not covered under the canned hunt statute. It is specifically
quote:
“CANNED HUNTS†(DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS)
No person may kill or attempt to injure a dangerous wild animal (African or Asiatic lion, tiger, leopard,
cheetah, hyena, bear, elephant, wolf, or rhinoceros, or any subspecies or hybrid of these animals) that is held in captivity in this state or that is released from captivity in this state for the purpose of being killed,
nor may any person conduct, promote, advertise, or assist in the hunting of a dangerous wild animal.

i would love it if some south texas 100,000 acres 4 unit/section ranch imported capes!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso,

Just curious. Do you really think that 100,000 acres is equivalent to only 4 sections/units? One section is one square mile, which is 640 acres. That means 100,000 acres is 156.25 sections. bewildered

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I have an acquaintance who is terrified of the idea of flying. Never been in a plane, never will. This is one reason folks might want to hunt African game in Texas. I'm sure there are others.

Brice, that is a true reason to hunt anything without getting on a plane! The game ranches, if properly run, and with good habitat are valuable in another way as well! They make a very convenient place for a short weekend hunt, at any time of year in a state where there is absolutely no public land that isn't tied up in some way. As long as one hunts the more common game on these ranches they are a good value for a short hunt, just to ge into the field. I was born in Texas, and hunted all my life on a large ranch belonging to my grandfather. However, since the late 40s the only way a citizen of Texas can hunt anything is either have a hunting lease, or pay a trespass fee on private land, or as I did for 40 years, hunt in other states where there is loads of public land, like New Mexico, where there is 36,000,000 acres of public land for free hunting, or Alaska where there thousands of sq miles of free hunting land, and the out of stateer's non-resident license, for these states, are far cheaper than most trespass fees in Texas. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an acquaintance who is terrified of the idea of flying. Never been in a plane, never will. This is one reason folks might want to hunt African game in Texas. I'm sure there are others.

If the gy is afraid to fly, how is it he not afraid of animals with horns? or men with guns?
Where is the logic here? He is afraid to fly so he must sacrifice ethics for the sake of his "fear".

I should get $200 per hour to teach people how to deal with phobias..

Posts: 10305 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My point here it is all different. The ethical and moral issue usually depends on the law. I think most hunters beleive that if it is the confinds of the law, then it is ethical and morally correct. Even if it is not our choice or method

Just because the law says it is fine, does not make it right or ethical. Abortion and a few other issues come to mind.

If we allow the law to decide what is ethical, we are headed down the wrong path. The law is not the standard - moral reasoning and decisions made with respect to all factors are a better standard. Hence this entire discussion.

Posts: 10305 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:

If the gy is afraid to fly, how is it he not afraid of animals with horns? or men with guns?
Where is the logic here? He is afraid to fly so he must sacrifice ethics for the sake of his "fear".

I should get $200 per hour to teach people how to deal with phobias..

I WORKED with a black cop who was 5'11" and about 170 and he was fearless, stand his ground with the best of them as the lead is flying and didn't think anything of taking point through the door or a bad alley looking for a bad guy who had already killed. At the same time he was terrified of cemetaries. Couldn't get him into one at gunpoint. I tried to sneal him into one as I was coming down the road and he actually jumped from the car at about 20mph, rolled on the grass and came to a stop and threatened me with GBH as soon as I came back out through the gate. rotflmo

There is a difference between fear and phobias.
They are real to the people afflicted and there is no connection to anything else. Fear of flying has nothing to do with a fear of armed men... or horned animals. A coward will fear most things dangerous. A person with a phobia will only have a problem in that particular area.

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
My point here it is all different. The ethical and moral issue usually depends on the law. I think most hunters beleive that if it is the confinds of the law, then it is ethical and morally correct. Even if it is not our choice or method

Just because the law says it is fine, does not make it right or ethical. Abortion and a few other issues come to mind.

If we allow the law to decide what is ethical, we are headed down the wrong path. The law is not the standard - moral reasoning and decisions made with respect to all factors are a better standard. Hence this entire discussion.

Dogcat, I agree with you. I was merely making a point from a different side of view. However, I would ask as to who decides whether it is morally or ethically correct. Usually society in one way or another. But as we can agree, Abortion deals with human life. I think this is completely different anaolgy.

But who decides what is ethical or non-ethical in terms of hunting? Most of the time the individual hunting. And I think that most hunters use the law that has been established through the entire decision process as a basis to determine whether it is an ethical method.

How fortunate we are to live in a country that allows us to make that decison for ourselves!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudubull,
I agree with you and especially your very last statement. Amen.

I guess the reason a thread like this attracts so many comments as it touches our emotions more than others. When ethics, standards or rules are discussed - we all like to think our own are the best. I like these discussions as it makes me re-examine my own standards and ethics. This has been good for me and I enjoy the discussions.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Like I always say: "In the end the hunter hunts himself."

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
jeffeosso,

Just curious. Do you really think that 100,000 acres is equivalent to only 4 sections/units? One section is one square mile, which is 640 acres. That means 100,000 acres is 156.25 sections. bewildered

nope... it's cattle talk...
land can be judged by how many units (cow, calf, and maybe baby on board) it can support by section.

4units/section would be HORRIBLE hard terrain. that's 8 walking cattle on 640 acres, as thats as much grub and water it holds.

and, it USED to be cheap.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
jeffeosso,

nope... it's cattle talk...
land can be judged by how many units (cow, calf, and maybe baby on board) it can support by section.

4units/section would be HORRIBLE hard terrain. that's 8 walking cattle on 640 acres, as thats as much grub and water it holds.

and, it USED to be cheap.

jeffe

Oh, good. I was a little confused/worried there for a minute.

You hit the nail on the head when you said it USED to be cheap. Those days are fading quickly. You can't even hardly find anything in South Texas for under $1,000/ac and most of it is over $1,500/ac!
killpc killpc killpc

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote