Notify
Tools

6 meter BLACK MAMBA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted

Do you think you could outrun this boy. Eeker
The information that came with the photo says that the reptile is about 45 years in age and is about 6 mts in length. The photo was taken near a cemetry close to a sugar cane field, I presume in Natal.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great Scriptus. Now I'll have the nightmares again ...

Big Grin

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...and it looks hungry!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good photoshop job....

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Yoiks, it looks like it's passing the guy's car!

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Taken near a cemetary. . . . .

One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
I just pooped.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Nothing a shotgun couldn't cure. I'm curious who's been counting that snakes age.... Roll Eyes

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
All the people in the cemetary. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
When in Natal last, my PH told me of how he had been driving in his Landcruiser pickup with a bunch of staff standing in the back of the truck. He drove over (what he thought was) a dead branch in the road, and the darn mamba rose to have its head at the same level as the people in the back of the truck. Fortunately it did not strike...

Apparently the PH had a go at the snake with the pistol of one of his trackers - lived to tell the tale (assuming it was true?). But they do seem to grow them big in Natal!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing that a load of number 4's wouldn't cure.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
As nasty as those things are, it'd almost be a shame to whack it. I didn't know they grew that large.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I saw our tracker Daneesa set a new World High Jump record when we encountered a black mamba in Charisa.

Not knowing why this man leaped straight up and flew through the air with the greatest of ease over the tops of the long grass through which we were walking, I turned to Wayne Bartlett our PH and asked:

"What happened?"

His response was a whispered:

"Black Mamba ... deadly ..."

Never thought to try to find anti-venen before that moment but have thought about it since ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
Nothing a shotgun couldn't cure. I'm curious who's been counting that snakes age.... Roll Eyes

Shotgun you say, as you lifted the gun you would probably be eyeball to eyeball before the gun was in your shoulder.
Its the colour of the bloody nose. Jeez ! Haven't you been listening. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Who's got that 12 gauge full auto shotgun with the drum mag handy?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:
Good photoshop job....

Eggs-ackley!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't think BM's grew that big ?

Looks a bit like a Python to me !.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Loch Ness Monster is on holiday in South Africa.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
If the pic is real, it's the largest one I ever seen.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Real or not I dont know, but that is the stuff nightmares are made of! flame The icon shows my preferred weapon for something like this. I will light it up right after I am done changing my shorts.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
FAKE... A mamba is a thin snake and lacks body mass. I saw seven on safaris all thin. Shot a nne footer that attacked us. Thin like a broom handle and never saw one reflecting the sun like in above photo. Body color dull green and black inside of mouth.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Even a King Cobra struggles to get beyond 6 meters (20 feet) & that is by far the largest venemous snake. They are quite thick too and they eat other snakes!

That could be a 12 - 14 foot snake if it is a genuine picture.

JMHO

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
FAKE... A mamba is a thin snake and lacks body mass. I saw seven on safaris all thin. Shot a nne footer that attacked us. Thin like a broom handle and never saw one reflecting the sun like in above photo. Body color dull green and black inside of mouth.

Mike

Mike

"thin snake and lacks body mass" and " Thin like a broom handle and never saw one reflecting the sun like in above photo"

Re above quotes, that's what I thought as well, hence my comment about some sort of Python.

Naki
I reckon that is bigger than 14 feet.

Compare it to the bits of the fence, the bucket on the stake
and various other bits.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I am not jinxing myself for saying this. I have not seen a mamba since 1991 in spite of plenty of trips. I hope I never see another, especially that size.

Do you guys really believe that a mamba can move faster than a man can run? I don't.

I think Mike is correct.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any reason it can't be a Python ?

Is the head the wrong shape ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
FAKE!

See snake number 8 in the list of longest snakes of the world.

http://www.mostintheworld.com/longest-snake

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
way too thin to be a python. a python that length would be at least 8-10 inches in diameter, probably more, and weigh at least 100 lbs. my Burmese Python( very similar in size to the African Rock Python) was 19 feet and weighed well over 100 lbs. unless the picture has been altered, that's a mamba and a damned big one. for its apparent length, it is very thin. another indication that it is a mamba is the way it is crawling- head held high and body almost straight- not to mention that even a python that is close to shedding would not have that skin color.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
As nasty as those things are, it'd almost be a shame to whack it. I didn't know they grew that large.

No, it wouldn't 'be a shame', it would 'be the right thing to do'.
Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black mambas I'm acquainted with are not black, they are grey...

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
way too thin to be a python. a python that length would be at least 8-10 inches in diameter, probably more, and weigh at least 100 lbs. my Burmese Python( very similar in size to the African Rock Python) was 19 feet and weighed well over 100 lbs. unless the picture has been altered, that's a mamba and a damned big one. for its apparent length, it is very thin. another indication that it is a mamba is the way it is crawling- head held high and body almost straight- not to mention that even a python that is close to shedding would not have that skin color.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Interesting information but quite a few errors. For one the King cobra is stated as 19 meters - more like 19 feet max. The Indian Python is stated as the Burmese python - which is not correct. The Burmese python is the reticulated python & is found in parts of India. But the more common Rock python is the Indian Python.

the claim of 10.7 meters fgor a Reticulated python is ridiculous - that would be 35 feet! The next claim of 8.5 meters or 28 feet for an anaconda is also doubtful.

The other question is the vegetation - does it look like Australia (brown snake?)??

quote:
Originally posted by Blank:
FAKE!

See snake number 8 in the list of longest snakes of the world.

http://www.mostintheworld.com/longest-snake

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to add to the consirpacy theory re length of snakes .........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-monster-Borneo.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot one back in 1985 in Botswana while bird hunting.Snake was over 13 ft long. It came through the brush with its head higher than my waist. Old winchester model 12 pump is great snake medicine. Snake was thin as a garden hose

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is either natal King snake if that is indeed SA.
Otherwise its a Cobra in either India or Sri Lanka.
That doesnt quite look like natal to me and the palms next to the road look too much like Sri Lanka or India.
The attitude of the snake and the reflective qualities of the scale make me believe large cobra in asia.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive got a pic of a mamba that was killed by a Secrety bird and part of it was eaton.The pic is of me on the back of my landcruser holding the snake with my aem streched outabove my head and its tail was still lying about a metre on the ground.Iam about 6 foot tall add another one and ahalf feet with my arm streached out about 4 feet to the ground fron the landcruser anothe four foot on the ground and what was eaten by the bird.so in total you looking at about 14 or 15 foot thats excluding what was eaten.The pic was taken on old style film and not on digital or i would post it

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of " I knew you was big, I knew you was black, but where did you get those goo goo eyes ?"

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
All I can say is BEAUTIFUL snake.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fake....
and here's an 8 meter mamba

Photoshop is a wonderful thing

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, Walter was doing one of his usual acts.

He was hanging out of the truck, with one foot in and one foot out, and his hands holding onto the basket on top of the cab.

We drove over a black mamba lying on the track. We only realized it was a snake at the very last moment, and the driver was not able to stop.

It struck at the tyre, as it was stuck underneeth it, with a very loud crack!

Walter said "OH SHIT! That was close! And I keep telling you guys not to follow black mambas and take video and pictures of them!"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
OK, maybe the photo has been doctored with Photoshop. If so, how do you know that?

Please enlighten us.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote