New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania 07, Rungwa Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
These are a few of the many fine trophies I took while hunting this year. It was a tough hunt for me emotionally as well as physically. Phillip made it a good hunt for me.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Well Done Sir, thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
lb404, you did it right, and your best buddy was smiling at you, to honor him with such a great hunt...

Mike & Cherie thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That's an outstanding collection!

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
How old was that Buffalo?

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buff wasn't that old. We were in a zone with few buffalo and were running out of animals to bait lion with. I had already shot double animals of everything on quota. This was shot for bait. He went a little over 39". The boss was not hard. All in all it was a good hunt anyway. Lions are really hard to get even in areas where there are a lot of them. The ones we saw were as you see, not fully mature. We worked one old male for 12 days and he always came to the bait morning and evening. He even laid outside our blind about 50 meters a couple of times and coughed and grumbled BUT he never made a mistake. ALMOST once but too early to see him well enough to be certain. Man is that hard to do!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Excellent animals. Thank you for showing us.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well done, nice trophies taken. Lions are hard, no question about that.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
great safari ...outstanding eland , what did he measure ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland 38.75/39, Sable 43.5/44, Roan Not sure but very big.??27" not sure!

square shooter

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Great safari, terrific trophies.

Thanks for sharing,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Beauts Leonard, everyone of them are beauts! I love the picture of the lion... Did you use one of your Davenport rifles? Caliber... and how long did it tkae to get your leopard on bait?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used my 375 Clayton Nelson for the leopard and plains game. I used the Davenport 404 Jeffery for the Buff and was going to use it on the Lion but no joy on that one. The leopard took the bait right away on the third day. Phillip saw the tracks and the scrapes on the tree and we made the plan. The crew made me a blind and we sat for him that evening. He came very late past shooting time. Phillip then told me we would shoot him in the morning. The set up was perfect and we had a backup plan. We drove 1.5 hours back to camp and got up at 3am to drive back. We arrived about 0430 and waited for him. Phillip and Ratief his apprentice have exquisite hearing. They both signed that they heard the cat approaching. Then he scratched the bark on the tree. Ratief signed that the cat had gone up the tree. Phillip then reached over and uncorked the shooting hole in the blind for me and told me to advance the rifle. I immediately acquired him in the scope. There was no real time to get the feaver. He said when you have him soundly in your scope, squeeze the trigger. BANG! The cat laid at the foot of the tree. He did not move a muscle. And that ended that hunt exactly as Phillip said it would. It was very exciting.

square shooter

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on an excellent hunt, the lion photo is very good, well done.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Leonard,

Glad to see you got your problem sorted out and had a good hunt. - Congratulations. - I'm pleased for you.

Did you go it alone in the end or take a hunting buddy or take your wife etc?

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I like the zebra there is no shadow stripes but well done they are all nice trophies

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went alone. Wife and I are no longer.

square shooter

One of Us
Picture of CLIFT
posted Hide Post
VERY WELL DONE!
WHAT AN EXCELLENT SAFARI!

Posts: 76 | Location: WAXAHACHIE, TEXAS | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. Really good to see the outcome from the difficult times you shared with us.

The zebra looks really nice - got to love those Tanzania zebra.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great trophies, congratulations!
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6820 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ib: Superb trophies! That picture of the lion was nice as well. Was he too young to shoot or did you pass him for a nicer one and never found one? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Leonard- Well Done! Thanks for sharing with us.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was asked not to shoot the pictured lion. Philip felt he was too young to shoot. At this point in the safari we were on the eighth or ninth day. We had see some sigh along the roads and had hopes for a more mature male. In all honestly, this was my first hunt for lion and I went with the advice of my PH. I don't think I will regret it. We had an old male on a bait the last six days and sat for him morning and evening. He didn't get old by being dumb or making stupid mistakes. I had him in my sights at least three times but it was too dark to be absolutely certain it was the big male we were looking for. To fail on that lion was a heart breaker for me. No ones fault just the vagaries of hunting!! At least I can say I have seen the lion and felt his presence. I have heard the pat of his feet as he passed a few yards away from us on his way to water. I think I have taken a richer sense of Africa home with me and will remember it forever.

square shooter

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! Great photos of great animals! Good luck on that lion next time `round.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lb404,
I can only immagine how hard that must have been but you did the right thing and my hat off to the conduct of your PH. You both have my respect as a hunter. thumb

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
lb404

a bad hunt ? Really ?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
ROAN! Very nice! I like them the more I see them. Really a rugged, character-filled animal. Excellent!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point Anton.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
lb404

a bad hunt ? Really ?

You got me scratching my head on this one.... bewildered

what have I missed?

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BM:

LB404 was complaining on another thread about how he was screwed, lied to, etc by all PH's he had ever hunted with including, if I recall correctly, 4 that he referred to as world class.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was a concession, Rungwa, was supposed to hold large herds of mature buffalo. Only one bull was found. no second/third bull to be used for baits. Large herds of elephants frequent the area. only one small herd was there and no legal bulls. This area was rife with lions, in 23 days we saw one male too young to shoot, one old lion that would not show after hint of light or before darkness.We saw one small part of a pride of lions feeding off a kill from a giraffe, all young females. This hunt was oversold on potential by Harpreet Braar. I was the solo hunter in 2+million square miles. I lost all or part of four days due to equipment issues. This the hunt where they provided me with a Cessna Caravan for one hunter and one PH. On other hunts we have used a Cessna twin to carry 4 clients and all equipment. I requested a twin but was given the caravan at a charge of $10,000.00 instead of$2500.00.Not fun. Remember this was for a 21day hunt 23 total days in camp. I got a great plains game hunt with leopard and one buff..never had a chance at elephant, lion, hippo. Hunt was oversold..

Im surprised someone didn't find the hunt report from the hunt in the Seolus in July 2003. where we burned green grass for ten days and out of the 12 animals we were allotted on 10 day license. Steve and I shot one buffalo each on the very last day. one was a mature bull but the second bull was very young. It was all that was there. We shot only one other game animal on the third day and for camp meat. Could not find anything else to shoot. Hunt over, Success rate 3/12. I think a poor hunt.
That was with john Taylor, PH from Zimbabwe with a outfitter selling hunts with Dakota firearms. A consensus at the time was we were sent in two months too early for a decent hunt. Finally the Zambia hunt was booked with peter chipman and sarge on their concession on the luanga river. This was a buffalo plains game hunt with an upgrade guaranteed in writing that allowed hippo x2 and crockery x2. Peter said we would only need 7 days to complete hunt. I asked for and paid for three extra days to give us plenty of time to be successful and see the area well. After the buff were taken and a couple of plains animals, we concentrated on hippo. That took two days as one was shot solid and the other was an assumed miss. Needed to wait 24 hours to see if a hippo surfaced. It did not so Steve could shoot at another animal. In the mean time we had the meat cut up and delivered to village chief. we each had three more animals on license in addition to a pair of crocodiles.we were then told we would not be able to hunt crock. Regardless of what the contract said. Hunt is over. New clients cumming in the AM We needed to be packed and ready to leave in AM. I complained, peter said he had no choice.????????All three of us were mad tried to get should of Wes Hixon but no go. Peter offered to send us to the bangwelu swamp for lechwe and other game which would have been a good deal. The three of us stayed in the hotel for six days. No contact from the local rep- we had her cell #, would not return calls. Called Gracy Travel to see if they could reach the US outfitter for Bus. No go. Tried to leave Lusaka but only two BA flights a week and could not arrange a flight sooner. just plain bad luck. The hunt was successful for the plains game and buffalo but we were stiffed for the crock and swamp trip. and were force out of camp 4 days earlier than need be.

Could have given other instances of corruption but you get the idea. I have had some wonderful hunts for plains game and have taken in all 6 buffalo and one leopard as well as some great plains game animals. Dont know any simpler for you all.

square shooter

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
popcorn coffee This is gonna be priceless.

rotflmo

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IB:

I gotta agree with you on the Caravan. Why do two guys going in have to ride in Caravan? That really burns my ass.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
IB:

I gotta agree with you on the Caravan. Why do two guys going in have to ride in Caravan? That really burns my ass.

Of course that is a logical way of thinking. However, In Tz, I only know of a handful of C206's or similar that are comercially available to charter. Of these, no more than a couple I would feel "safe" in using.

So as far as Tz is concerned, there is little option.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
No doubt hunts are oversold but usually by the agent (no offense to you guys) and the PH is the one to temper your expectations because he has to deliver...

I do have to admit that I was also oversold in Tanzania... old Ron Young promised a 45" buff behind every bush, God bless him! And Ridge was surly and pissed when we expected him to find them for us. I can chuckle about it now...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote