New
Find
Notify
Tools

Camouflage Clothing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is camouflage clothing (where legal) a waste of money or does it REALLY help in concealment of hunter movement?

If the PH & Trackers aren't wearing it, I think it's a waste; but what do you more experienced hunters feel?

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Camo in 99% of all rifle hunting is TOTALLY unnecessary IMHO

You need camo when hunting predators like coyote calling, for bow hunting and that is about it.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
camo outerwear is totally unnecessary. camo underwear might help with your PH though Big Grin moon

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Holding still will do a lot more for your success than buying a boat-load of camo. I can't imagine what reason anyone would have for wanting some in Africa.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Africa in several camo patterns; khaki and OD green as well. IMHO, OD green is some of the best you can wear. It blends well in most countries. As stated, your PH and Trackers will most likely never wear camo. Consider yourself lucky if they wear OD colored clothing. I have on occasion worn Diamondback by Spider Oak Outfitters in TX. For what it's worth, I personally consider it the best camo pattern ever made. Several times when hiding for sharp eyed plains game, they have been totally unaware of my presence while wearing this pattern. Sometimes it's exciting to blend in your surroundings and dupe a sharp eyed animal, but on average, OD is great in the bush. Here is an example of a great Cape Springbok I took while wearing Diamondback camo. My only cover was a small thorn bush. His harem of 75-80 ewes walked right by me at 25 yards and never knew I was there. Only until they were behind and downwind were they aware of my presence. They stood and stared, all the while this ram fended of a group of 12 other rams. I took him at a close 131 yards with a .223 VS Remington.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think some common sense is in order when you choose your hunting clothes for Africa. I've seen videos of guys hunting and "stalking" plainsgame, and even elephants, wearing white shorts, or white socks, or even what looks like white shirts. Granted, some of these clothing items may be "british tan" which is a very light tan, but when the sunlight hits it, it looks almost white. You can spot a guy wearing a light tan shirt from a mile away when he's in the wild. And if you can see it, so can the game you're hunting. So camo would be much better to wear than this really light colored stuff. I like traditional looking stuff, so in Africa I always wear clothes that are either OD green, medium green, or dark tan, plus an OD green cap or brimmed hat to hide my blonde hair and shade my face.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cammo like this?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion:

1. The vast majority of commercial camo is designed to be seen (and purchased) by a consumer.

2. Complicated commercial patterns work best when you are sitting still. On the move and at distance, most blur into an unrecognizable blob. Ergo, a dull muted solid would work just as well.

3. Most commercial patterns use way too much black. Works great if you are sitting still in the shade; not so great on the move.

4. The old saying goes: shape, shine, shadow, silhouette, surface, etc. etc. That still holds true but only a very few patterns help with that.

If you can see the game, it can see you. Slow down, be quiet, watch the wind, and leave the lycra and disco ball earrings at the house and you'll be fine. archer

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Camo is a really big thing in the lower 48, but even in Alaska it isn't. Some of the best rifles hunters I know up here don't use it. I'm sure all else being equal a camo patern that blends well is better than solid colors, but I'm not convinced for the average rifle hunter on safari that it makes that big of a difference. Now bowhunting on safaris......probably.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
hell, in most African countries it is illegal- not to mention a waste of time and money. for sure the PH and tracker won't be wearing it. camo is like fishing lures- both catch more fisherman/hunters than fish/game.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Cammo like this?

Ozhunter is wearing the best cammo there is. A dark green to olive shirt, faded over several safaris by the harsh washing received in the bush, dappled or soaked with sweat earned on tracks in the sun and heat of the day.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ozhunter - Very nice "camo" you have on there, and soaked with sweat it looks even better. Walk into that jesse behind you, and you'd dissappear in 20 yards or less. Also, very nice buff and rifle you have there, too.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chet, camo is best when you're sitting still and trying to get game to come to you instead of trying to get yourself closer to the game.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cable68:
I agree with Chet, camo is best when you're sitting still and trying to get game to come to you instead of trying to get yourself closer to the game.

Agreed. Like calling wild turkey gobblers in the spring.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think as others have said that in the normal African spot and stalk scenario that camo is of much use. I do think if a guy has a bunch of light weight camo there is no reason to not take it. As long as it is not in mitatry patterns and you only wear it in the field you'll have no problems. I've seen some camo in most camps I've been in. I personally have a couple of camo coats I've dragged all over and nobody even even remarked on them being camo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
A little camo goes along way...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think camo and khaki look 'right' in the bush and thats what matters. No orange, blue, red etc. for me.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my limited experience, match the vegetation. Khaki in a drought situation and green in lusher vegitation. If you can only pick one go with the green.

I had a PH wear teal shorts and a light tan shirt once and it didn't seem to matter so what do I know.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
Camo in 99% of all rifle hunting is TOTALLY unnecessary IMHO

You need camo when hunting predators like coyote calling, for bow hunting and that is about it.

+1

I have a couple of camo T shirts that I wear for varmit calling. I get a laugh when I go to some of the local "Hunting Expos", they have every kind of camo you can imagine! I remember one guy who was wearing an outfit he was selling at one of the Expos, it had layers of some kind of light green cloth cut to look like leaves, all over it. He looked like a giant parakeet!! I about fell over laughing! rotflmo

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Most of the hunting done in Texas is from box blinds or pop up blinds. So there is really no point to wearing camo in that situation but most hunters I know do anyway. They get all dressed up in the latest camo pattern and then go sit in a little house that nearly totally conceals them from the game. Pretty silly.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
Most of the hunting done in Texas is from box blinds or pop up blinds. So there is really no point to wearing camo in that situation but most hunters I know do anyway. They get all dressed up in the latest camo pattern and then go sit in a little house that nearly totally conceals them from the game. Pretty silly.

Yeah, they might do better with a camo pattern that looks like plywood! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll blend in great with camo, but the tracker standing behind you might be wearing a bright blue jumpsuit so it really dosen't matter.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
You'll blend in great with camo, but the tracker standing behind you might be wearing a bright blue jumpsuit so it really dosen't matter.

All of the tracker, gamescouts, etc. that I have had in Africa were provided uniforms by the safari company in neutral colors. Camo patterned clothing is illegal in some African counties, an never needed for Africa in my opinion. Anyone else notice how companies like Cabellas has 50 pages of camo clothing in their catalogs? They must sell a lot of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't buy camo or where it, unless I've been bowhunting.

My reasoning, is I think people look like tools wearing it around town. I love guys who think it's a dress shirt...so olive and tan, you can put with some jeans and not look like a redneck!

Now, anyone who thinks wearing camo to church is cool, fine by me, this is just my opinion...no need for backlash!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
I think camo and khaki look 'right' in the bush and thats what matters.

I agree!

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
In Namibia I asked the PH why all the trackers were given blue jiump suits and not brown or green. His answer was "Blue doesn't spook the animals because they see it all the time(sky) and it's not a threat". We were sitting on a water hole hoping a warthog would come by. The tracker was sitting out in the open and up walked a warthog with nice tusks. He saw the tracker and could have cared less. Big mistake on his part.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:

Now, anyone who thinks wearing camo to church is cool....

You made my day!!

jumping

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaneCorso:
quote:
Originally posted by lal:
I think camo and khaki look 'right' in the bush and thats what matters.

I agree!
i think in this case, you mean "on the bush", not "in the bush".

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have been seen by animals while hunting and wearing camouflage - usually because of some dumb move I've made.

I have also been seen by animals while hunting and not wearing it - also usually because of some dumb move I've made.

Animals see movement, IMHO.

I don't think camouflage matters very much.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is a pet peeve of mine! First off I hate camo clothing, period.

It urks me that some of the best hunting gear, for cool weather, wet weather, and damn cold weather is only available in Camo! I don't mind that is is available in camo, but the makers should offer it in earth tones, and olive as well. It seems there is no middle ground. the hunting gear is either camo, or bright colors like international orange,or yellow!

I have some camo gear, but it is simply because I needed the type clothing for certain climates, but if it had been available on solid colors that is what I would have bought. As Mrlexma says animals depend on the wind,sound and movement to avoid you, not the color of your cloths, as long as they are not bright white, or clowing floresents.

Most animals do not see color, other than some birds, but they see things that are bright enough to stand out against its background, which increases the damage done by movement. I have called coyotes right up to me within 5 feet before he got my scent and almost had a heart attack when he realized how close he was to me. I was sitting in the shade against dead tumble weeds with the sun to my back, and wearing my O.D. left over Korean era army blouse with all the bright patches still on it, and a blue bandanna over my face bank robber style to break up the shiney nose! Big Grin

Camo doesn't hurt while hunting, but I don't think it means as much as most think it does! I certainly don't think it does anything for you walking around in the local mall! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote