one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Learn to pack, but then your a lawyer! moon

In case you have not been on a trip lately, TSA unpacks the tufffcrap for you, then packs it back however they like. You are not allowed to touch it after TSA gets done rearranging things.

salute

That was not my latest expe. going to Namibia last month. I unlocked my Tuffpak & TSA checked my guns. Then I packed it back together again. I like the Tuffpak but really, because I packed other gear inside w/ one rifle. If taking two, I can see no reason to not use a Pelican or other case just for the rifles. I have done it before & would do it again.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Like LLamapacker, I own just about every brand of case ever made for firearms. None of them are good in every way possible, but all had their good points. I have pared down to the ones that have the most positive points, and though I still own the others, they are basiclly car trip cases, or loaners!

The two I use the most today are the KKAir,(later named CCL) long rifle case,the one with two security rods, and the Tuff-Pack breakdown case. A pair of my double rifles, broken down in two Breakdown soft cases, in the short tuffpack with boots and extra clothing around them and it is good to go. I have a pellican break down case, but it is only good for one double rifle,and is as heavy as an anvil! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kalispell case for 28 years. 6 Canada provinces, 16 states, 4 south or central american countries, and Namibia. Zim next. Indestrucible, no need to change now.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Someone on Accuratereloading.com mentioned using an SKB golf case for transporting firearms. After some research, I bought one for about half the price of a Tuff-Pack and used it for a recent trip to Alaska.

The case is VERY durable and doesn't look like a gun case. It, well...looks like a golf case. Even though it has a TSA lock, I found no evidence TSA even opened it on my trip back. I wanted an extra locking latch for it and the company sent me two at no charge. The case has a lifetime warranty against any type of damage baggage handlers or TSA could do to it. It also weighs less than other options and holds quite a bit of stuff besides guns (I transported 2 large handguns, a shotgun and clothes in mine).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
There are at least a half dozen cases that will do the job just fine, and most of them have been listed here. Personally, I have used a Storm case to carry rifles, and Americase for shotguns.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSA might let you pack your own case, but more often than not, you cannot even lock your own locks.

Lately I have noticed that if I pack nothing but my rifles, they send it through the x-ray bomb detection machine and I don't have to open it. That has been true for me the last 3 times I have flown.

I said it before, but I will say it again: the Tuffpak is the most overpriced piece of plastic I have ever seen.

So I guess the US military is a bunch of idiots who don't fly with guns...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
TSA might let you pack your own case, but more often than not, you cannot even lock your own locks.

Lately I have noticed that if I pack nothing but my rifles, they send it through the x-ray bomb detection machine and I don't have to open it. That has been true for me the last 3 times I have flown.

This is absolutely true, in most case with a flat gun case!

quote:
I said it before, but I will say it again: the Tuffpak is the most overpriced piece of plastic I have ever seen.

So I guess the US military is a bunch of idiots who don't fly with guns...

Arizona, I agree with you on a lot of levels , one thing you need to know ,however,is because the military uses something doesn't make it best, it just means some congressman worked a deal! I'm not saying the cases used by the military are not very protective, they absolutely are,only that because they are the military choice means nothing. The GI doesn't have a choice, he uses what ever is handed him to use! There is no weight limit for a GI on a military airplane, or on a charter plane hired by the military for transport of troops. What ever equipment has, has to go regardless, and he is not charged $150 bucks extra fpr weight, and he is not hendered by the patriot act!

This is where the rub comes into the game. Those cases are not necessarily the best choice for a civilian flying with firearms internationally. Those cases like the Pelican are as heavy as iron, and unless you take two of them you will likely take only one rifle, most will only hold one rifle. I also agree the Tuff-pack is very expensive but there is plastic, and then there is plastic. Some get their protective nature though being very thick, others have different plastic the can be thiner, and so lighter, and be even stronger. I worked 31 years for the largest Airline in the world, and have seen every type of case you can name broken, bent, and totally destroyed. Heavy equipment used to move these things can destroy an anvil if it gets in the right place with certain equiptment!

All I'm trying to convey is if you don't like one brand of case, simply don't use it, your opinion is not proof that anything is fact, it is only your opinion! I like the Star, Pelican, and the KKAir, and before we had all these regulations I used them because the were very protective, and I didn't have to carry them much, that was left up to other people. But today we must be weight conscious as well as protection conscious. So if you don't want to take some of the responcibility for the proper packing and/or modifying, of a Tuff-pack, it is certainly not for you! SO! I agree with you on two levels about the Tuff-pack, they are expensive, and they are not for you!
beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my storm case holds two rifles and is smiliar to pelican case. hillbilly

my tuffpack holds two but my boots and clothing aren't meant to be used as packing material.

I like the storm better for protection. By the time I add packing etc. to "protect" or "pad" my rifle with the tuffpack, the weight of the tuffpack is similar to the storm case.

The storm case is not the pain in the ass at the airport with TSA/security as the tuffpack animal

choose the one you like- both have their good & bad points.
I have both and use both so I can bitch about either banana animal

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:

I like the storm better for protection. By the time I add packing etc. to "protect" or "pad" my rifle with the tuffpack, the weight of the tuffpack is similar to the storm case.

I'm sure the weight does go up in the Tuff-pack, but as far sa it equaling the Storm, that means nothing unless the things you put into the tuff-pack are left at home when you use travel with the storm,your weight doesn't change if you still take those things with you, just in another bag, so your weight limit is still heavier! Big Grin

quote:
The storm case is not the pain in the ass at the airport with TSA/security as the tuffpack animal

choose the one you like- both have their good & bad points.
I have both and use both so I can bitch about either banana animal

You and Arizona are absolutely correct that the flat case with nothing but your rifles in them, is easy to go through the x-ray, but in many case airports do not have x-ray in African drop off points for hunting, so physical inspection is done anyway.

I too, own eight or ten brands, and some that I've had for 40 yrs, that have long ago gone out of busines, or were absorbed by other makers. so I too can bitch about just about any brand you can name. I'm not saying any of them are perfect, they aren't, NONE OF THEM, but used properly, they all have good points!
thumb

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
so physical inspection is done anyway.

You are missing the point which is; the physical inspection with the tuffpack is a real pain for the owner and TSA. The tighter the pack for "protection/padding" the more difficult it is to remove the guns for inspection and re-pack--either by the owner or TSA. ---PIA Eeker

I'm not saying any of them are perfect, they aren't, NONE OF THEM, but used properly, they all have good points![/color] thumb

agreed Big Grin

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently use a double rifle case from Zeigel Engineering and it has kept the airline gorillas at bay.

I used to use Americase as did my hunting partner. What his opinion of them is likely unprintable here but in two airline trips at least one of my rifles was way off zero.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
On my Tuffpak I have the inside Tuffsak duffle that slides right in and out. Once you have it packed with your rifles and other items, you slide it into the Tuffpak. When removing it, you just grab the handle on the end of the Tuffsak duffle, slide it out, unzip the Tuffsak the length of the Tuffsak, or just part way if need be, and then expose and unzip the soft cases. When finished, you zip things back up and slide the Tuffsak duffle right back in. It's rather easy, and physical inspection is not difficult or hard. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ICC, 9 trips to Africa and a similar number to Canada or Colorado, Idaho, or Wyoming with no problems. I called the co. and said I though I would like a set of the brackets that the lock attaches to. A few days later 2 sets arrived with extra rivets, I still have the extras and the originals look just as good as ever. ( no charge ) My hunting buddy has a Kalispel which appears to be as good.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKB has served me well for 10 years.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I own multiple storm cases and believe they are the best cases around, second pelican. The Storm case is very strong and less heavy than the pelican. I have other cases like Browning, SKB Etc. The Storm case is just a superior product.

Roland

Storm Case Applications

Nothing is too delicate to be shipped in a Hardigg case. Ours have been used to protect cruise missile engines, Hubble space telescope components, aircraft auxiliary power units (APUs), gyroscopic guidance equipment, computers, optics, medical equipment, and hazardous materials.

Just one military unit has 500,000+ Hardigg cases in their logistics system. We have over 50,000 M-16 rifle cases in worldwide service as well.

Hardigg (Storm Cases)has been engaged by government, military, and industrial clients, as well as major information technology suppliers. We have provided cases for:

Fragile major repairables (WRA/SRA) ship and aircraft electronics
Cruise missile engines, F107-101 and F107-400
Destructor, Mark 41 flight gear, shipping and storage case
Reverse osmosis filter element (water purification system)
Advanced cruise missile engine F112-WR-100
Major repairable (WRA/SRA) ship and aircraft electronics (80132-13414)
Avionics electronics and gyros (15-24G instruments)

MIL-SPEC Verification Tests

Fungus Resistance
Water Vapor Transmission Rate
Free Fall Drop (Ambient)
Free Fall Drop (140ºF to -40ºF)
Leak Test (Pneumatic & Immersion)
Concentrated Load
Handling Test
Humidity Test
Salt Fog Test
Chemical Resistance
Loose Cargo Bounce
Handle Pull Test
Rain Test
Water Tight Splash Test
Altitude Test
Temperature Shock Test
Sand and Dust Resistance
Superimposed Load (Stacking)
Flammability Tests
Sunshine Tests (Solar Radiation)
Vibration (Transport Profiles)

(Foam and Cases are made in the USA)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first case was the cheapest I could find -about 50 USD, 100% plastic no-namer- and it´s been on seven hunts to Africa, two in Europe AND it´s been bounced back and forth in the mail more times than I can remember. Still going strong.

My second case was an aluminum case of better quality. It died first time out.

I also found a cheapo for two guns! It also cost me 50 USD and it´s great.

I keep my clothes in a duffel on wheels, Samsonite, a bit heavy but a good bag.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
On my Tuffpak I have the inside Tuffsak duffle that slides right in and out. Once you have it packed with your rifles and other items, you slide it into the Tuffpak. When removing it, you just grab the handle on the end of the Tuffsak duffle, slide it out, unzip the Tuffsak the length of the Tuffsak, or just part way if need be, and then expose and unzip the soft cases. When finished, you zip things back up and slide the Tuffsak duffle right back in. It's rather easy, and physical inspection is not difficult or hard. Smiler

X2 If you are taking a long trip or need to take alot of gear, the Tuffpak works great and with the tuffsak inside, it is no prob for inspection.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Learn to pack, but then your a lawyer! moon

In case you have not been on a trip lately, TSA unpacks the tufffcrap for you, then packs it back however they like. You are not allowed to touch it after TSA gets done rearranging things.

salute

I must say that I recently traveled with a Tuffpak and TSA was quite happy to let me unpack and pack it. No issues at all.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana Nderobo
posted Hide Post
I bought a Randolph Smith two rifle case, because it was 2" bigger in all dimensions and could easily accomodate 26" bbl rifles. While well made, the latches have popped open on the airport conveyor belts TWICE, once I had to be called off the plane to unlock and fix it. If they could revise the latching system, it would be perfect, but now I'm always a nervous wreck and end up wrapping duct tape around it so it doesn't open up.

Phil Massaro
President, Massaro Ballistic Laboratories, LLC
NRA Life Member
B&C Member
www.mblammo.com

Hunt Reports- Zambia 2011
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1481089261

"Two kinds of people in this world, those of us with loaded guns, and those of us who dig. You dig."

Posts: 441 | Location: New Baltimore, NY | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote