New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best case for travel...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tell me again, what seems to be the best case to haul two rifles, etc to Zim?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
horse

Let the games begin.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKB

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Tuff Pak on seven (7)safaris to Africa.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tuf Pak and 4th safari coming next AUG...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pelican Case and 5th safari coming in 2010.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Tuffpack better than any case I have used so far. It has been to Africa 3 times, Calif twice, Alaska once.

Pelican is my second favorite.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ICC. Great case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ICC!

Americase second choice.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of megsdad
posted Hide Post
Pelican

Posts: 104 | Location: so oregon | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storm Case. If you wear shock resistent padded underwear, the Tuff Pak is probably a good choice.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Happy with Pelican

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
horse

Let the games begin.

X1000000 hammering

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Best case for travel?
Going on Safari.
Girlfriend tells you she's pregnant.
Going after DG.
Forgot to pay mob "insurance" payment.
Going after plains game.
Ex-wife has been calling.
Your son's girlfriend's dad has been calling.
Free safari!
Wink Roll Eyes coffee

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Storm Case. If you wear shock resistent padded underwear, the Tuff Pak is probably a good choi :.

animal animal

storm--my vote

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adrook:
ICC. Great case.

Same as Cabela's bullet-proof case I believe. They are nice and hold up very well.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Americase is my choice

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What does the original Tuffpak guncase weigh when empty?

I have a Browning travelvault which I have been using for 18 years. It's made many, many flights but with the more strict enforcement of the weight restrictions I might be interested in something lighter.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Tell me again, what seems to be the best case to haul two rifles, etc to Zim?

The military likes Pelican. That says something.

I heard you were sick?? Hope you recovered and are ready to shoot some game. Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First timers and brain dead individuals that travel to foriegn countries use the others..Old timers and highly intelligent folks all use Tuff Paks, and there is good reason for this... homer moon rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42091 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've said it many times before. I own a Pelican, Tuffpack, Browning travel vault, Cabelas Aluminum, SKB, and a couple others I won't even admit to.

They all have their strengths and all have been on multiple flights. The Pelican (virtually the same as the Travel Vault) is my go to case for maximum protection of the equipment inside. I like the Tuffpack when only traveling with one gun, as I can use the extra space for gear. I use the others when traveling with my kids and I need multiple cases.
Any of the cases listed above have performed well. Trying to claim that one particular brand is "Best" is a fool's game. Those I haven't listed were left off for a reason. Mad Trying to pick one brand over all the others is like comparing Blondes to Brunettes. They both serve a purpose...

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Here I go again- Tuffpak!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thumb for Storm Case

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
First timers and brain dead individuals that travel to foriegn countries use the others..Old timers and highly intelligent folks all use Tuff Paks, and there is good reason for this... homer moon rotflmo

Except those of us who have had a double rifle damaged in one.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with the Cabelas bullet proof case. It gets scratched up quickly but I I like my stuff to look broken in.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Storm then Tuffpak only if you can eliminate a second bag. Storm is best protection for guns IMHO. Tuffpak is a pain to pack and unpack and therfore TSA doesn't like them.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point George! I bought a ICC case about 20 years ago and although it looks bad it functions as well as ever and I've never had a rifle damaged in it. Why would I buy a Tuff Pak or any other new case when my present case is not broken. DUH!!!!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12975 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CLIFT
posted Hide Post
AMERICASE #1 Cool

Posts: 76 | Location: WAXAHACHIE, TEXAS | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
TuffPak

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19354 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Americase.

They'll make you virtually anything you want, put a cordura cover on it and deliver it to Oz in 10 days. Damn good. thumb

The Tuffpak is too short internally if you have a 26"+ barrel thumbdown

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter - You have a PM. Thanks.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Tuffpak is too short internally if you have a 26"+ barrel

I guess that depends on your LOP and if you are right at 26" or how much more. I can fit a 26" barreled rifle in mine -- actually two of them I believe. Of course, it also depends on what else is in the bottom or top of the case.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone traveled with a short gun case (single DR) packed in the bottom of a duffel? Any problems with this been acepted by airlines?

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Learn to pack, but then your a lawyer! moon

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42091 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I use a TuffPak, Pelican cases, aluminium cases, and each serves a purpose.

If you said you were going to drop my case and rifle off the loading deck of an airplane on to the tarmac several feet below, I would want my rifle in a Pelican or Storm case.

With the contents completely surrounded by foam, they are tough to beat.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Learn to pack, but then your a lawyer! moon

In case you have not been on a trip lately, TSA unpacks the tufffcrap for you, then packs it back however they like. You are not allowed to touch it after TSA gets done rearranging things.

salute

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you choose the Pelican case don't use their combination locks.Use a quality lock that cannot be damaged when the case is bounced around.I don't know if Abloy or Medeco make small locks but quality will SAVE THE DAY!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Dan: Was your double damaged during a trip where your Tuff Pak was inspected by TSA?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a two gun Kalispell aluminum case(with Nylon cover) on four trips to Alaska, once to Canada's NWT and once to Namibia. Has worked fine for me, no complaint. Has a dent or two. Price when I purchased about 10 years ago was competitive maybe significantly better than most. From what I have read on AR I doubt there is anything foolproof from the idjit luggage handlers. Oh, and it helps out the Kalispell Indian tribe which makes it.