THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    My plain jane sarfari rifles - seeking advice

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My plain jane sarfari rifles - seeking advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First is an H. Dumoulin 30-06. I bought it a couple years ago and refinished it this week.

Second is a Husqvarna 9.3x57 that I will rechamber to 62mm. My dilemma is I cant decide if I should drill and tap, change the bolt handle and such. If I do I'll do a straight rigby style bolt handle. I'll used talley mounts and cut a slot through the stripper clip guide for the base. I had this done on another rifle i sold. I still maintained the nice bluing. My eyes are not the greatest and I'd have to keep it for a bush rifle and not make long shots with it if I leave the receiver holeless. But i do have a Griffin and how mount and rings somewhere. I cannot remember if it is one inch or smaller rings. The mount will have to be refinished if I go that route. I'm really in a quandary as what to do.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before anyone roast me, I didn't sand the stock on the dumoulin. The horn plate was proud when I got it. I need to fit it better.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The coffee-bean bag fits well into the photos.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:

Second is a Husqvarna 9.3x57 that I will rechamber to 62mm. My dilemma is I cant decide if I should drill and tap, change the bolt handle and such. If I do I'll do a straight rigby style bolt handle. I'll used talley mounts and cut a slot through the stripper clip guide for the base.

I'm really in a quandary as what to do.

It's a husky, I would drill and tap it without a second thought. You are already rechambering it after all....

I would not cut the charger hump, not even a slot. Talk to your gunsmith and find out what type of base they can modify to work with the charger hump in place. Another option would me a custom base for the rear. I know of at least two smiths who can make a base for a reasonable cost.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those rifles are not plai. They are classic beautiful.

I do not like glammed up women or rifles.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

+1. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifles Aaron.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5998 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Gregor McLeod's gunshop in Tain one day and he had a 100+ year old Rigby 275 on the counter - no gun cabinet queen this had obviously taken thousands of deer in its time with a patina to match - and it had no scope, drillings or dovetails of any kind - exactly as your 9.3.

It would have been sacrilege to mess with this - as with yours. In a rechambered form (62mm) it might be more useful. If you need a scoped 9.3 get a CZ - very much in the same vein.

You have really nice rifles.

Posts: 200 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
And what is wrong with that? Very nice tool you got there

Posts: 11 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 11 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
By the time you've worked through that bag of coffee, you'll have it sorted. Beautiful weapons! Eyes can't be fixed -- buy a 9.3 x 62 you can scope. coffee

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warne makes steel bases which will fit the Husky with the charger lump in place.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
AAron, what you have there are some very good rifles. They are simply classic CRF actions that have been taking game of all sorts and in every part of the world, and the design has not been improved in 100 years as far as quality is concerned.
Most of the bolt rifles today are the product of saving money not improving them, by cheap push-feed actions and telling the young shooters that this is an improvement.
In my opinion there has never been a better made action than the pair you have there.
To top that off both are classic beauties!
......…............…… old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
By the time you've worked through that bag of coffee, you'll have it sorted. Beautiful weapons! Eyes can't be fixed -- buy a 9.3 x 62 you can scope. coffee

The local coffee roaster gave me the bag to do whatever with... she said don't drink it... it isn't good. I mixed good coffee with this coffee 9:1 ratio. It made my good coffee BITTER! So this is going in the garden I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles.

If you do not want to put a scope on the rifle an alternate would be a peep sight. With a large hole they are quick and much easier with older eyes. I seem to remember there was a peep sight that mounted on the rear ring behind the clip slot.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I wouldn't hesitate a minute before scoping the Husky. It'll just make the rifle far more useful If you're going to really hunt with it. In my mind any rifle from 375 downward should be scoped for maximum usability.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this...

Must i use an old scope with removable ocular bell? That is what I guess... It has 1" rings

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Husqvarna Mod. 146 in 9.3x57 just like yours. I had the rifle refinished since it had seen very hard use. I had the same cross bolts added. The rifle is a joy to carry, but it belts you when fired. I would not add a scope to it because either you have to alter the bolt and safety or the scope has to be put to high in my opinion, which makes felt recoil even worse. Just buy a Ruger 77 African in 9.3x62 or a CZ 550 in the same caliber before they run out of them and the price goes ski high. By the way your rifles are a joy to behold.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Desirables but not collectibles. Guns are tools and when you die they will be trashed along with all your other stuff.

If it shoots well then the angle of a bolt handle or the pattern of the wood is completely irrelevant.

Just look at Saeed's guns.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

For sure! Looks like he's on Food Stamps :-)

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sarfari rifles - seeking advice

One of them should be a 404 "Jeffari" with a ghost ring ... the other is fine as it is (either one).

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
The coffee-bean bag fits well into the photos.

dancing

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7621 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

For sure! Looks like he's on Food Stamps :-)

You should see his house. Has a big long hole in the basement and animals crapping all over the yard. dancing

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7621 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel kinda stupid asking this question but...
How do you mount a scope with this type of ring? did the old scopes mount only on the front side of the turrents or do you take the ocular off?
Aaron

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Desirables but not collectibles. Guns are tools and when you die they will be trashed along with all your other stuff.

My girls swear they won't...and I hope they won't...but I guess if I am dead it doesn't matter.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, appears to be an old Griffin & Howe mount, pic is fuzzy on my puter, give them a call maybe able to get you a set of new split rings for it

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That Dumoulin is a fine rifle. Not plain Jane at all.

It does need a Schmidt und Bender scope, however, IMHO.

Otherwise, I would not do a thing with it, except shoot it until I died, and then pass it along to an appreciative heir.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
I feel kinda stupid asking this question but...
How do you mount a scope with this type of ring? did the old scopes mount only on the front side of the turrents or do you take the ocular off?
Aaron

Its a Griffin & Howe detachable sliding sliding mount that runs along a precisely machined dovetail base.

My lowly 375 Churchill is fitted with one supplied/installed by Paul Roberts of London Rigby way back in the mid-80s.

Still holding good and true to this day.

I would keep it on as it was a fashionable scope mount back then and adds value to the rifle.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Neither can be trusted! These rifles are very nice.

Posts: 1031 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifles are fine just as they are. I personally don't like the look of the G&H side mount. They served a purpose years ago. Now there are reliable and better looking mounts available.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My wife says that make up, big hair and high heels are a product of women's constant battles of female competition.

Make up is an annoyance in my mind. For every woman with tasteful make up there are 3 or 4 that look like the could rodeo clown.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
A wonderful pair of rifles. I like peep sights. So I would use the mount you have and have peep sights for the cocking piece on each if possible. Be Well, Packy.