THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Another Mark Sullivan Lion: Client’s Recent Success
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Mark Sullivan Lion: Client’s Recent Success
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted

I thought many of you might be interested in seeing the trophy quality of the second lion recently hunted. It was shot by 74 year old Larry Jarrett. In 23 days of hunting Mark’s clients shot three dugga boys, two big leopards, and two fabulous lions! Not bad for a 65 year old Tour Guide.

Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done, congrats. Another amazing lion, another amazing season for Mark.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful lion.

But none of my professional hunters has ever wanted to be photographed, or been photographed, alone with an animal that we have found and killed.

I find it odd.

It seems that Sullivan wants to be the client, and resents having to be the PH.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Nice looking cat.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice lion and congratulations to the PH and hunter. What area/company is Sullivan sub-leasing this season? Game Frontiers, perhaps?

One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Many of Mark’s clients prefer to have Mark display his image with their animals on public/forum sites. Mark is arguably the best known PH around the world. Many clients work in career fields or positions where they do not want their personal image presented with some trophies. They understand they will likely be distributed widely once they are made public.

If the client prefers not to have their personal image displayed publicly with a particular animal (for their personal reasons) but would like their trophy shared I simply respect and accommodate their wishes.

Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
popcorn This should be good for a couple of pages rotflmo

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
And it already began! Again with problems of him taking pictures with the client´s trophy. I can name at least 15 ph´s who have taken pictures with an animal they guided and their client took, a fair amount of them are well respected professional hunters and I don´t recall the clients ever having a problem with that.

By the way that is a great lion, congratulations to both the PH and the successful client.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely put Shawn.

Posts: 463 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice and congrats to all involved.

Again. What area?

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Nice lion. Congratulations to hunter and PH.

I have recently started having my pictures taken with whatever is on the ground.

Have to renew my gun licenses soon and it makes me look good...on paper!

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pieter Kriel:

I have recently started having my pictures taken with whatever is on the ground.

You are surely not going to actually make a statement that "you have actually hunted" the trophies with which you pose? Roll Eyes No? Big Grin Yes? Big Grin

It would mostly be the truth - often, but not always, most of the "hunting" is done by the PH - the client only does the actual shooting! So, why not bring the SAPS firearms officials under a misconception about who hunted the trophy? Big Grin Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Lion Congrats to all involved.
We should just leave it at that.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Very nice lion. I can only wish..... Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Beautiful lion.

But none of my professional hunters has ever wanted to be photographed, or been photographed, alone with an animal that we have found and killed.

I find it odd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When someone asks a Professional Hunter (example) "How many lions, or elephants (etc)have you shot" Normally The answer they get is not how many the PH personally pulled the trigger on, but how many he has killed PLUS been involved at the kill of as a PH, in total.
After all client & PH are both hunting that trophy (even if PH never shoots). Remember, its called hunting, not shooting...so why not be proud of the achievement wanting a nice picture posing with the trophy, after all the hard work??

Most PHs have done this and I have done it sometimes too. While I try to train my trackers to take a good quality photo of me, the client and the trophy together...there is usually something to be desired (usually a head, horn or something cut off; too far back, etc). They are improving their photo taking skills, but if I want a real nice photo of the trophy (with me in it), then I simply ask the client to take one.

No, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with Mark (or other PH) alone with the trophy. It is his hunting memories too...and he's the guy that made it all happen.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . I must have mistakenly logged on to a blog other than AR today. The next thing we will hear is that the lion was killed with a bullet other than a CEB or a NF. The rapture must be at hand.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TANZ-PH:
quote:
Beautiful lion.

I find it odd.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When someone asks a Professional Hunter (example) "How many lions, or elephants (etc)have you shot" Normally The answer they get is not how many the PH personally pulled the trigger on, but how many he has killed PLUS been involved at the kill of as a PH, in total.
After all client & PH are both hunting that trophy (even if PH never shoots). Remember, its called hunting, not shooting...so why not be proud of the achievement wanting a nice picture posing with the trophy, after all the hard work??

Most PHs have done this and I have done it sometimes too. While I try to train my trackers to take a good quality photo of me, the client and the trophy together...there is usually something to be desired (usually a head, horn or something cut off; too far back, etc). They are improving their photo taking skills, but if I want a real nice photo of the trophy (with me in it), then I simply ask the client to take one.

No, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with Mark (or other PH) alone with the trophy. It is his hunting memories too...and he's the guy that made it all happen.

I agree completely. I have no iron in the fire with the never ending Mark Sullivan circle jerk, and I don't know the man or any of his promoters
or detractors. This whole photo issue is, to me, just so much BS. Who cares!!??

I have not "PH'd in Africa, but I have been "guiding" big game hunters in Canada for 30 + years and I know many guides and outfitters who routinely have their pictures taken with the clients trophy for promotional purposes or personal memorabilia………… and just as many who avoid the camera whenever possible. I fall into the later category. I have always hated having my picture taken and usually avoid it like the plague.

To each their own, but I think there are more interesting topics to waste time on than the never ending Mark Sullivan saga.

To the original topic……… hell of a nice lion and congrats to all involved. We should all be so fortunate as to take a cat of that quality, but few of us ever will.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No harm at all if such photographic reminders are kept in an album and as long as they are not utilized publicly as an advertisement for personal gain. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can name at least 15 ph´s who have taken pictures with an animal they guided and their client took, a fair amount of them are well respected professional hunters and I don´t recall the clients ever having a problem with that.
I CAN NAME 15 MORE...
THIS IS ABSOLUTY NORMAL

By the way that is a great lion, congratulations to both the PH and the successful client.
MY GRATULATIONS TOO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the Facebook etc. lashings hunters are taking these days, it stands to reason that the actual hunters are camera shy, but such a magnificent lion should be part of Mark's gallery and list of accomplishments.

congrats all around.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Fantastic lion. Congrats to everyone involved. Great photo as well.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

No harm at all if such photographic reminders are kept in an album and as long as they are not utilized publicly as an advertisement for personal gain. Wink

That's it. Precisely.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Great cat Mark

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buck Naked
posted Hide Post
I have his videos and Mark Sullivan is a badasses badass. The man in fearless.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I see a picture of a very fine trophy Lion.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a different note, MS has guided his clients to success on 2 exemplary Lions and should be congratulated for this feat. tu2

It furthermore confirms that West Tanzania is still a producer of superb wild Lions with manes so thick and matted which lends more credibility to their natural existence, much different to those recently posted cross-bred Abyssinian/Barbary/South African knot-less flowing maned (blow-dried) specimen. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a different note, MS has guided his clients to success on 2 exemplary Lions and should be congratulated for this feat. tu2

It furthermore confirms that West Tanzania is still a producer of superb wild Lions with manes so thick and matted which lends more credibility to their natural existence, much different to those recently posted cross-bred Abyssinian/Barbary/South African knot-less flowing maned (blow-dried) specimen. Big Grin

Also starting to see the fruits of the 6 year rule.

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am ever blessed enough to hunt & kill a fine lion such as this, I will not care if the PH gets his picture with it plastered on the cover of every African hunting magazine in existence.
I have ask my PH's to pose with my animals before, just part of preserving the memory for me.
MS is a promoter, & basically he's the product he is promoting & apparently he's done a very good job of it.

Note to Mark: Don't stop now, you're on a roll.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I,too, have known many PHs who get their pic taken with the game for their own records. There is always a pic with the PH and client. Then the client and staff, client and staff and PH, etc., I have known many clients who do not want their pic with the game to be seen by anyone. Many, due to their profession where if seen they will get reprimanded or fired. Many pics on my website <calpappas.com> come with the request only to show the game or the rifle, but not the face or name the person due to fear of publicity.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this were a pic of any other PH with a clients Lion nobody would say a thing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a PH posing with a clients animal..stop the jealousy.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Beautiful big lion. Congrats to all involved. IMO nothing else needs to be said.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

Beautiful big lion. Congrats to all involved. IMO nothing else needs to be said.

Mark

Couldn't agree more- who gives a shit who is in the photo with the lion? It's a great lion! If I were there I'd want to be photographed with it too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's it. Precisely.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Don't these guys make a living selling hunts?

Even with your PH less trophy photos, we still know you aren't hunting them on your own.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1!!!

quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

Mark

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:
Originally posted by Pieter Kriel:

You are surely not going to actually make a statement that "you have actually hunted" the trophies with which you pose? Roll Eyes No? Big Grin Yes? Big Grin

BS baffles brains Andrew as you know! Not that I'm expecting to find brains in certain parts of the country.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nitro_Andreas
posted Hide Post
wow... mark is 65years old. he still looks strong and healthy.
the guys at my shooting range that are his age, would probably die if they shot a 577 or 600, or breake something.

hopefully i will look like him inn 40years time,
that made me kinda happy knowing that i have so many hunting years a head of me Smiler
thanks mark sullivan. hope you get to bee 80years old and still be inn africa with your 600NE in your hand in front off and old buffalo

Safari guns:
Ruger No 1 458lott
A.W wolf 9.3x74R
Røssler 9.3x62
krieghoff 500NE *sold*

Posts: 39 | Location: Norway | Registered: 13 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:

It would mostly be the truth - often, but not always, most of the "hunting" is done by the PH - the client only does the actual shooting!
In good hunting.

Oh man...you just said what was suppose to be a secret everybody knew, but know one would ever think about going puplic with it jumping

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh man...you just said what was suppose to be a secret everybody knew, but know one would ever think about going puplic with it

I always knew that it was the trackers & PH's that were the real hunters & my part was to make a good shot on the correct animal.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a PH posing with a clients animal..stop the jealousy.

Hardly a case of jealousy!

While there being a great fanfare about posting with one's own trophy to screw the anti-hunting sentiment, there are some who use it as an excuse not to pose for the want of less attention.
Besides, at the age of 74, I for one wouldn't give a damn about public image and what the antis think.

For a PH (any PH) to solo pose with a client's trophy and publish the photos publicly is just what it is - publicity; in the case of MS, whose identity is already established, the purpose of such pics is simply advertising propaganda launched by his agent.

Surely it would carry the same weight (and probably be more appreciated) if a photo or two from different angles of the trophy were published with a brief recount on how this splendid animal was taken. ..... just sayin' coffee

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
If this were a pic of any other PH with a clients Lion nobody would say a thing.

Very insightful and absolutely spot on.

Mike