THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Another Mark Sullivan Lion: Client’s Recent Success
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Mark Sullivan Lion: Client’s Recent Success
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a PH posing with a clients animal..stop the jealousy.

Hardly a case of jealousy!

While there being a great fanfare about posting with one's own trophy to screw the anti-hunting sentiment, there are some who use it as an excuse not to pose for the want of less attention.
Besides, at the age of 74, I for one wouldn't give a damn about public image and what the antis think.

For a PH (any PH) to solo pose with a client's trophy and publish the photos publicly is just what it is - publicity; in the case of MS, whose identity is already established, the purpose of such pics is simply advertising propaganda launched by his agent.

Surely it would carry the same weight (and probably be more appreciated) if a photo or two from different angles of the trophy were published with a brief recount on how this splendid animal was taken. ..... just sayin' coffee

You are entitled to your opinion but I do not agree with it.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a PH posing with a clients trophy. On my Leopard hunt, I took many pictures of my PH holding my Leopard...it was such an exciting moment and he was almost as thrilled as I was. I was proud to take pic's of him with my cat...took many of the trackers with it as well.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Great looking Lion , regardless who is sitting behind it.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a PH posing with a clients trophy. On my Leopard hunt, I took many pictures of my PH holding my Leopard...it was such an exciting moment and he was almost as thrilled as I was. I was proud to take pic's of him with my cat...took many of the trackers with it as well.

Leopardtrack:

Your above statement certainly befits the occasion but it is NOT what I said and in the event you missed it:

"For a PH (any PH) to solo pose with a client's trophy and publish the photos publicly is just what it is - publicity; in the case of MS, whose identity is already established, the purpose of such pics is simply advertising propaganda launched by his agent".

Have Great Day! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Leopardtrack:

Your above statement certainly befits the occasion but it is NOT what I said and in the event you missed it:

"For a PH (any PH) to solo pose with a client's trophy and publish the photos publicly is just what it is - publicity; in the case of MS, whose identity is already established, the purpose of such pics is simply advertising propaganda launched by his agent".

Have Great Day! beer

I totally understand your point....I just don't have a problem with it. Publicity is OK, that's how MS and every other PH/Agent sell their hunts.

I will ad that I DO NOT like what goes on in MS's videos and what must go on behind the scenes to get all of those animals to charge him

If a smiling and upbeat Buzz Charlton was posing with a 100lb Elephant I bet there wouldn't be a single negative comment!

Anyway, have a good weekend my friend Smiler

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
If this were a pic of any other PH with a clients Lion nobody would say a thing.

Firstly, We need to understand that MS is not just any other PH.
He makes statements that to other seasoned and reason minded PHs would sound idiotic.

quote:

"It is all about the hunt, not the kill. At 10 feet it is hunting. At 21 feet it is killing."

Mark Sullivan
Professional Hunter

quote:
"I do not like killing. I do like hunting—there is a difference. Anyone can kill a wounded Cape buffalo standing his ground 40 yards away. In my opinion, to do so is killing.
On the other hand, to walk up and let that magnificent animal decide how he is to die in battle is great hunting.
If you lack courage that is something I cannot help you with. But to condemn me because I have the courage you lack is unfair and unjust..."

- Mark Sullivan

Why is someone a coward for taking the opportunity to finish a wounded buff from 40yd?
[or a distance over 10 feet for that matter]

Is closing the distance to 10 feet a mandatory manhood thing?

according to MS, hunting begins only at 10 feet or under.

quote:
"If we are to believe in the sport we call “dangerous game hunting,” then why do so many do everything in their power to remove as much danger as possible?"

- Mark Sullivan.

maybe because its the intelligent thing to do??
Seasoned PHs that have been in the game longer than MS, would prefer to not have to regularly go after wounded enraged DG at 10 feet, if avoidable.

and really, if clients are the poor lousy unreliable shots that MS claims, they are not the person you want to have to rely on to try and finish the pressure job
of wounded & threatening DG at an intimidating 10 feet.

If not removing risk and danger is his method/what MS is supposedly all about, why does he choose to carry the supposed advantage of a thumping .577 or .600 bore?
a number of the greats from the past used anything from 6.5mm, 7mm, 303cal, .33cal, .350, .375cal .40 cal, to efficiently slay thousands of DG beasts and lived to tell the story.

and seriously if a person genuinely desires to challenge and cheat death the way MS implies about himself, in order to prove his ultimate ability,fearlessness and prowess,
he should take a profession that puts him in situations where he is likely to be targeted by skilled & equipped advisary humans, rather than against primitive animals with inferior defences.
Why does MS intentionally choose a profession to demonstratively superiorate himself, that knowingly targets primitively inferior & disadvantaged adversaries?

Its liken to a full able mind & bodied pro- athlete selectively choosing to compete at the special olympics.... Big Grin

Greats like F.C.Selous and WDM.Bell actually volunteered and served in the front lines of war with the task of hunting men and in turn being hunted by men.
with Selous actually losing his life, not to wounded African DG, but to a skilled German adversary and his rifle, who effectively stalked the camp of Selous.

I dont believe the likes of Selous and Bell were directly out to prove their manhood via hunting or serving in war, they were just living out the nature of who they were as individuals,
and they took the opportunities to do so, as they came along.

Others with less conviction [or to use MS words; 'those lacking courage'], will just consciously choose to stick to the soft[safer]option of challenging & dominating
naturally disadvantaged wild animals, primarily for entertainment reasons....which means that to some degree, parts of the hunt are intentionally staged to achieve the
preferred desired 'drama scene' outcome or finale. The fact that MS says he intentionally chooses to pass up the suitable ethical chance to finish animals at a greater
distance than 10 feet, is proof that the hunt is staged/intentionally prolonged for the desired effect he wants in the film.

Intentionally prolonging the suffering of animals and intentionally putting hopeless unreliable shot clients at greater risk by opting to put them within 10 feet of wounded DG,
seems to go against the primary industry code of ethics & responsibilities of a good sensible PH.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote