THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    John Barsness - Not So Tough - Sports Afield
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Barsness - Not So Tough - Sports Afield
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may not need a .375 for plainsgame, as many have pointed out.
I tend to wonder how many of the same guys would be critical of the first time buffalo/elephant hunter who shows up with a .375 that he hasn't hunted anything with? Those who seek to find fault are seldom stuck for an angle to work.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems a little contradictory that it not good to hunt PG with a 375 but ok to do it with a bow, handgun or muzzleloader.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
It seems a little contradictory that it not good to hunt PG with a 375 but ok to do it with a bow, handgun or muzzleloader.

465H&H

Exactly.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
As has been stated a few times in this thread, the .30-06 is a very effective plains game cartridge and a .375 may not be necessary.

However, a couple of personal observations:
a .30-06 is effective, but there is a big difference between a 150gr or 165gr deer load and a 180/200/220gr load which I prefer for plainsgame (and elk for that matter).

Secondly, regardless of whether they are or are not tougher than American game, I personally believe that the .30-06 is definitely on the light side for eland, zebra (and possibly wildebeest) and would not consider it at all advisable with less than a 180gr A-frame or similar.

I have no qualms about hunting plains game with a .375H&H. However, no game should be hunted by anyone who cannot shoot their rifle, however big or small.

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote