THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tracks Across Africa......is it just me?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracks Across Africa......is it just me?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
As I watched today I couldn't help but think.....it just isn't the same without Ivan or even from years past....Craig

Still a good show but I don't know.....is it just me?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At least one other is a bit disappointed in the show these days.

But all TV hunting shows seem to be getting worse.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not nearly the same without Ivan, not even close

Posts: 1015 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not even in the same ballpark. CB would be a 100% improvement and Ivan even more. They have gotten cheap.

Posts: 42 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Who is in the show now??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68235 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's really hard to make season after season of a show that has such a limited subject matter. On top of that, it seems they have some sponsoring agreements with the outfitters of their hunts, and those outfitters just don't operate in a place with a lot of variety - be it species or landscapes. I love the Lowveld and the Zambezi Valley, but the hunts seem to all be the same when you've seen the same hunt dozens of times. Just about every episode I start watching I think "wait, I've seen this one already."

There are always trade offs and I'm sure they save a lot of costs hunting with the same outfitters, but I would love to see more variety in the locations and species.

Then again, I remember when the show started and it was all so "new." Outdoor/hunting programming was exploding and there just hadn't been a ton of good African hunting shows. Maybe it's just not so "new" anymore and our expectations are higher? Regardless, I'm glad it's still on.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I guess differences of opinion are what makes life interesting. I certainly enjoyed Ivan as a host and thought the change from Craig to Ivan was refreshing. That said, I do not think the show without a "host" suffers at all. The reality was the the host really just did a handful of hunts, some narration and handled some of the transitions to and from breaks. I think the show is as good as it has ever been. I watch it to see the hunting experiences, not to hear a host tell me why a Ruger Hawkeye is the best rifle ever made, etc. Kudos to Tim and Dave, still one of the best shows on outdoor television.

Mike

Posts: 21520 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I turned it off last night and a week ago. Very hard to keep it interesting week after week

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
How long until Dave Fulson show up and starts one of his tantrums, lecturing on how hard it is to produce the show, how lucky we are, and how we better quit whining about TAA?

sofa

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3105 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Shane Mahoney is back, too. I say he should be the next "host."

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3447 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
How long until Dave Fulson show up and starts one of his tantrums, lecturing on how hard it is to produce the show, how lucky we are, and how we better quit whining about TAA?

sofa

Well, from the looks of things, many enjoy the show.

I would also hazard that a lot of the negative content that might be in the show is due to the sponsors - who in my experience are so far removed from reality anyway!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68235 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was the best when Craig hosted it. I still liked it and watched religiously when Ivan hosted it. I still watch, sometimes.

Posts: 10228 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I miss the TAA elephant hunts and I reckon we aren't going to see any more of those. I watched that great old movie 'The Naked Prey' a few weeks ago. That will probably be banned since it shows elephant hunting. Still, TAA remains my favorite show, that is when I can get the kids off Sponge Bob.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:

sofa

Well, from the looks of things, many enjoy the show.

I would also hazard that a lot of the negative content that might be in the show is due to the sponsors - who in my experience are so far removed from reality anyway!

Oh I enjoy some episodes, I was poking at Dave's thin skin

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3105 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I'm totally in agreement with MikeJ
And I do miss elephant hunts on TAA

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We may still see tuskless and those that pursue a bull even with the embargo in place. I still love the show's promotion of African hunting and support of our friends over there. It now appears to be the only game in town but it was always the best, in my opinion.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it but I do miss seeing some of the intense elephant hunting. The first show where Ivan was the host was incredible.

Posts: 12074 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I LOVE THE SHOW!
Last night they were hunting in Tanzania with Rungwe Safaris,pretty cool.
Changes occur in life all the time, I adjust & get on with it.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too enjoy the show. My hat is off to the camera crew who have to get themselves in position with heavy cameras. A lot of the footage is simply incredible. Let alone the rare occasion one has to avoid becoming elephant toe jam, or dugga boy pudding.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
The show is well done with the budget and constraints they have. I don't think a "star" is necessary. It is more interesting when they can film outside the valley and Nuanetsi, they shill those pretty hard (on camera and in person), but I'm sure costs skyrocket anywhere else.

It does drive me nuts when the client wants to constantly talk to the camera and the worst are the ones that, immediately after the shot, look first and foremost for the camera. That sort of sickens me, but hey, the client is actually paying for it to be filmed, so it is his show!

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
I LOVE THE SHOW!

DITTO. And what IS Ivan doing nowadays?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7148 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't personally like much of what is on the outdoor channel anymore.

Rugged Expeditions is good though.

Posts: 7781 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
I LOVE THE SHOW!

DITTO. And what IS Ivan doing nowadays?

Stay tuned.

Ivan is just back from Cameroon.

Posts: 12074 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
We may still see tuskless and those that pursue a bull even with the embargo in place. I still love the show's promotion of African hunting and support of our friends over there. It now appears to be the only game in town but it was always the best, in my opinion.

Dutch

Dutch,

Being good friends with Dave, he tells me the ele embargo has nothing to do with the lack of ele hunts on TAA these days. It is a mandate by the Outdoor Channel to cease showing them due to complaints by the antis after each ele hunt episode was shown. As we all know here on AR, even other hunters not familiar with Africa sometimes have strong misconceptions about elephant hunting and think they are truly endangered / not to be hunted. Many of these uninformed hunters complained as well.

Dave can correct me if I understood him incorrectly but for now, and probably the future, no more ele hunts on the Outdoor Channel at all, but it was not a TAA decision!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Dutch

Dutch,

Being good friends with Dave, he tells me the ele embargo has nothing to do with the lack of ele hunts on TAA these days. It is a mandate by the Outdoor Channel to cease showing them due to complaints by the antis after each ele hunt episode was shown. As we all know here on AR, even other hunters not familiar with Africa sometimes have strong misconceptions about elephant hunting and think they are truly endangered / not to be hunted. Many of these uninformed hunters complained as well.

Dave can correct me if I understood him incorrectly but for now, and probably the future, no more ele hunts on the Outdoor Channel at all, but it was not a TAA decision!!

Eating our own. As usual. I personally don't give a damn about rabbit hunting but will defend your right to do so.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The Ele shows need to stay on and the Outdoor Channel should be informing the general public about the numbers and the good hunting them brings.They should also be informing the public that the Ivory import ban will actually kill more Ele because they won't have value!!!

Posts: 2416 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So an outdoor hunting channel cares with the anti hunting community thinks? If that is true, it is scary and sad.

I enjoy TAA, it helps feed my Africa addiction while I recharge my bank account for my next adventure.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:
So an outdoor hunting channel cares with the anti hunting community thinks? If that is true, it is scary and sad.

I enjoy TAA, it helps feed my Africa addiction while I recharge my bank account for my next adventure.

From what I understand, they fielded many complaints from hunters as well.

Hey, I agree in a perfect world, the channel would stand firm and make a point. That said, and I think many here who complain about things like sponsors and such forget that the reason these shows are produced and aired as well as the existence of the Outdoor Channel and others like it, is not purely for our entertainment or making political points but rather to make money!! It's a business enterprise first and foremost. Like any successful business model, they listen to their customers ... you know, the ones that ultimately pay the bills. Currently, there were more complaints about the ele hunts than messages of support from that customer base.

Jeff hit the nail on the head. We hunters are "Eating our own" again. Too many hunters taking pot shots at other hunters who do things differently, often because of simple regional differences in hunting methods. Hard to get rabbit hunters to voice concern over elephant import bans simply because there are a hell of a lot more rabbit hunters who never realistically expect to hunt elephant!! We have a hard time seeing past our own personal level of interest most of the time.

Just this past week, I engaged in a somewhat heated FB discussion started by a well known Zim operator who posts here on AR at times. He was pissing on the RSA ranched hunts for buffalo stating that their prices would drive him out of business. Then the very next day, I engaged in another rather heated FB discussion started by a RSA outfitter stating that hunting Zim is directly supporting Mugabe. Both guys taking shots at their competition across the border for their own personal benefit, failing to see the destructive nature of their individual positions. Notwithstanding that both are selling every buffalo hunt they have available to them!!

The answer would be to unite as hunters. Make your views known to the channels that air hunting shows if you want to continue seeing elephant hunts on TV. Overwhelm them with expressions of support for the return of ele hunts and make them believe there are more in favor than against. Somehow, I think that concept today is akin to tilting at windmills!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outdoor channel might have a perfectly rational business decision to do it. Elephant hunting appeals to a very small group of hunters and might be considered offensive to a lot of viewers, advertisers and just not worth the business bad publicity for the outdoor network.

There are cull hunts in some areas of Zim and there is zero footage of these hunts. A decision has been made that if footage ever gets out of elephant herds being culled - including baby elephants - the pr and political fall out would be a disaster. Might be the right scientific and resource control policy to cull herds. But showing footage of baby elephants being shot with 7.62 military rifles would be tough to justify.

The Clinton getting on elephant bandwagon is a great political move. Mass appeal, tough to oppose and real outcomes of elephants irrelevant. More elephants killed by poaching just adds momentum to cause.

How many public figures have footage of them killing elephants ? Tim Herald, Craig Boddington or Jim Schokey do not count - they earn their living from hunting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Outdoor channel might have a perfectly rational business decision to do it. Elephant hunting appeals to a very small group of hunters and might be considered offensive to a lot of viewers, advertisers and just not worth the business bad publicity for the outdoor network.

There are cull hunts in some areas of Zim and there is zero footage of these hunts. A decision has been made that if footage ever gets out of elephant herds being culled - including baby elephants - the pr and political fall out would be a disaster. Might be the right scientific and resource control policy to cull herds. But showing footage of baby elephants being shot with 7.62 military rifles would be tough to justify.

The Clinton getting on elephant bandwagon is a great political move. Mass appeal, tough to oppose and real outcomes of elephants irrelevant. More elephants killed by poaching just adds momentum to cause.

How many public figures have footage of them killing elephants ? Tim Herald, Craig Boddington or Jim Schokey do not count - they earn their living from hunting.

Mike

Spot on!!

One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that sport hunting elephant in areas where the take is utilized as a sustainable resource is far easier to justify than promoting "canned" hunts shoots of farm raised lions.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pulicords:
It seems to me that sport hunting elephant in areas where the take is utilized as a sustainable resource is far easier to justify than promoting "canned" hunts shoots of farm raised lions.

And there you have it in a nutshell. One hunter against another! Shame the rabbit hunters can't see the forest for the trees either! But hey, Tilting at Windmills!!!

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil: Changes occur in life all the time, I adjust & get on with it.
Amen brother! Although, if Jeremy Clarkson can find his way back to a show similar to Top Gear that would be awesome. Some hosts cannot be replaced!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:I personally don't give a damn about rabbit hunting but will defend your right to do so.Jeff
Me too, and I like bunnies. Smiler

But we need to come to terms with the fact that "elephants" trigger a different emotional response by the overwhelming majority of human beings. Cows or chickens, not so much. But elephants, with the added attention due to the rise in poaching and illegal ivory trade (including the "funding of terrorists" insinuation), we are by FAR in the minority.

And for those putting their neck out...ask King Juan Carlos or Glenn McGrath how that works out. 57 people on AR applauded them, while 22.3 million from around the world roasted them in mainstream and social media.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the predicament that we and the elephant as a species are in. It is so illogical it baffles the mind.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Every hunter is not my friend, and every anti-hunter is not my enemy. The lines between the two are often blurred to the point that I am surprised by how stupid some hunters are with conservation.

I can't tell you how many hunters I have shown photos of my safari to and had them turn into it into a meat hunter against trophy hunter argument. I don't talk about safari hunting much with folks unless I know they are on our team.

On that same note, most anti-hunters are just really misinformed. They have a Disneyesque view of the wild places and think that nothing bad ever happens to animals, nor should it. What is really stupid is the majority of these folks eat meat, wear leather and use cosmetics made out of the remains of packing plants/arbators.

I don't bow hunt, Craig Boddington told me once that a bow was about as interesting as a shovel. He couldn't get excited about the tool. I would say I feel the same. I am not critical about those that do.

Posts: 7781 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that the channels are in it to make money but one would hope and think that a channel dedicated to sportsmen would encompass all sportsmen.

Something like an elephant hunt on tv can explain and let people know that elephants are not endangered and yes hunting them is legal.

I have done only one elephant hunt and love to engage hunters and non hunters alike about it. There is a small segment that will be opposed no matter what but the vast middle are more than willing to listen.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well outdoorchannel can kiss my ass. And I was going to get it to no more
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Dutch

Dutch,

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just put your money where your mouth is. I WAS going to get outdoor channel but no more

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan Carter said the #1 watched show on the Outdoor Channel is Wardens. It has appeal to both hunters and non hunters. Look for more non hunting programs from the Outdoor Channel.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I guess differences of opinion are what makes life interesting. I watch it to see the hunting experiences, not to hear a host tell me why a Ruger Hawkeye is the best rifle ever made, etc. Kudos to Tim and Dave, still one of the best shows on outdoor television.

I agree with a lot of what Mike says, but not all of it. I think the show does benefit from the a host who is a "resident pro". All of the pros tout products their sponsors make - it goes along with the gig. I personally do not own a Hawkeye and have little potential to do so. Enough said.

As an example, I thought Richie Schultz did a great job in being the main PH in "Buffalo Fully Loaded". It is a superb DVD (my opinion), and it benefits from someone narrating who has "done it all" more than the rest of us put together. Has TAA gone downhill since its inception - probably - but it is still the best show of its kind out there. I'm sure Dave And Tim will continue to tweek it to make it as good as it can be.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote